Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower/Focus Blast/Muddy Water
- Rest
pretty nice special tank

Hi guys, I'm new, happy to be here ^^
I've breed a shiny flawless Goomy (PRAISE THE SHINY CHARM) wich is Calm, with Sap Sipper.
What about this set?

252 hp/252 Sp Def/ 4 def + Leftovers

Acid Armor
Toxic
Dragon Pulse
Sludge Wave

Could someone please provide me with a good bulky hydration set with rain dance? I haven't read most of the thread apart from the OP and a few posts below, sorry if I missed it out ;-;

Could someone please provide me with a good bulky hydration set with rain dance? I haven't read most of the thread apart from the OP and a few posts below, sorry if I missed it out ;-;
I just put one 2 above your post.
Try rain set imo:
Albi (Goodra) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower/Focus Blast/Muddy Water
- Rest
pretty nice special tank

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder/Rain Dance
- Ice Beam/Rain Dance
- Flamethrower/Focus Blast/Muddy Water/Rain Dance
- Rest
Appreciate it bro, but I have one with a calm nature. Is there any chance I could have a less tank-ish set, something more defense oriented?

Appreciate it bro, but I have one with a calm nature. Is there any chance I could have a less tank-ish set, something more defense oriented?
I believe CurseDra is the most defensively inclined set used on Goodra, though I'm not sure of the exact set and you'll really suffer from 4 move slot syndrome. Honestly, I doubt it suits your specific Goodra. Between Curse, Rain Dance and Rest, you'll only have room for one attacking move and I'm not entirely sure what it should be. Dragon Tail seems like a good option normally, but Calm nature doesn't really suit itself to a physical attack, although it can still shuffle stuff around and keep Goodra from being set up bait and it should hit reasonably hard with enough Curse boosts, regardless of nature.

Goodra also gets Acid Armor, which might be just what your looking for, although I've never seen anyone use it. Once again, you'll only have room for one attacking move + AA, Rest and Rain Dance. You could also forgo an attacking move in favor of Toxic but then Goodra is complete Taunt bait and set up bait for anything with Substitute or Poison immunity.

However, the problem with both Curse and Acid Armor is that they have to be chain bred onto Goodra, starting with the Tyrunt line and the Skrelp line, respectively, and it sounds like you already have a Goodra ready.

If you do get one with Acid Armor/Curse, for EVs go 252 HP and invest most, if not all of the rest in Defense and put the remainder into Special Defense. Specific EVs should be determined based on what you want Goodra to be able to switch in on, set up on and/or beat one on one.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I believe CurseDra is the most defensively inclined set used on Goodra, though I'm not sure of the exact set and you'll really suffer from 4 move slot syndrome. Honestly, I doubt it suits your specific Goodra. Between Curse, Rain Dance and Rest, you'll only have room for one attacking move and I'm not entirely sure what it should be. Dragon Tail seems like a good option normally, but Calm nature doesn't really suit itself to a physical attack, although it can still shuffle stuff around and keep Goodra from being set up bait and it should hit reasonably hard with enough Curse boosts, regardless of nature.

Goodra also gets Acid Armor, which might be just what your looking for, although I've never seen anyone use it. Once again, you'll only have room for one attacking move + AA, Rest and Rain Dance. You could also forgo an attacking move in favor of Toxic but then Goodra is complete Taunt bait and set up bait for anything with Substitute or Poison immunity.

However, the problem with both Curse and Acid Armor is that they have to be chain bred onto Goodra, starting with the Tyrunt line and the Skrelp line, respectively, and it sounds like you already have a Goodra ready.

If you do get one with Acid Armor/Curse, for EVs go 252 HP and invest most, if not all of the rest in Defense and put the remainder into Special Defense. Specific EVs should be determined based on what you want Goodra to be able to switch in on, set up on and/or beat one on one.
First of all, we use sims so breeding isn't really a problem.

Secondly, you threaten nothing with your defensive boosts. You just give out free turns to Offensive teams to bring in checks or set up on you and negate them (also Defensive boosts are useless against Stall).

Thirdly, a mono-attacking set with Dragon Tail is not exactly a good idea with boosting moves since you're wall to hell and back by any Fairy and easy set-up bait for Azumarill and Clefable.

First of all, we use sims so breeding isn't really a problem.

Secondly, you threaten nothing with your defensive boosts. You just give out free turns to Offensive teams to bring in checks or set up on you and negate them (also Defensive boosts are useless against Stall).

Thirdly, a mono-attacking set with Dragon Tail is not exactly a good idea with boosting moves since you're wall to hell and back by any Fairy and easy set-up bait for Azumarill and Clefable.
Well, vroony said he had a Calm natured Goodra, which would indicate that he is playing on a cart, in which case breeding is an issue. He also specifially asked for a less-tankish, more defensive set so I was trying to do the best I could within those parameters.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well, vroony said he had a Calm natured Goodra, which would indicate that he is playing on a cart, in which case breeding is an issue. He also specifially asked for a less-tankish, more defensive set so I was trying to do the best I could within those parameters.
Breeding is way easier this gen than any of the previous ones so it's still not an issue regardless.

Breeding is way easier this gen than any of the previous ones so it's still not an issue regardless.
Guys, it's okay. Yes, I did imply my Goodra was on a cart. However, I think it learns Acid Armour by level up, because I'm pretty sure I had the move for a short period of time. Nevertheless, I could breed some more, but since I already have a Lv80 5IV Calm Hydration Goodra, is there anything I could do with it?

I was thinking of something along the lines of toxic, rain dance, rest, and a filler. What I want that filler to be is something I'm not so sure of.

Also yeah guys, I realise this is sm0gen and all and we play with sims. So I'm using smogon for another of it's primary uses to the rest of the casual fanbase, that is, as a resource for good sets. And anyway, the current smogon XY analyses are bullcrap (No defensive sets for a pokemon with 90/70/150 balk, really?) so I came here.
Worse still the OP doesn't have a set for hydration ;-;

Last edited:
Guys, it's okay. Yes, I did imply my Goodra was on a cart. However, I think it learns Acid Armour by level up, because I'm pretty sure I had the move for a short period of time. Nevertheless, I could breed some more, but since I already have a Lv80 5IV Calm Hydration Goodra, is there anything I could do with it?

I was thinking of something along the lines of toxic, rain dance, rest, and a filler. What I want that filler to be is something I'm not so sure of.

Also yeah guys, I realise this is sm0gen and all and we play with sims. So I'm using smogon for another of it's primary uses to the rest of the casual fanbase, that is, as a resource for good sets. And anyway, the current smogon XY analyses are bullcrap (No defensive sets for a pokemon with 90/70/150 balk, really?) so I came here.
They're not crap. There are just far better pokemon in OU that you could be using that actually have recovery and a better movepool. If you want to use Goodra, then it's the Assault Vest Tank or nothing. Anything else is a waste of time.

And anyway, the current smogon XY analyses are bullcrap (No defensive sets for a pokemon with 90/70/150 balk, really?) so I came here.
No defensive sets? AV Tank and Specially Defensive are listed in the first post. AV Goodra walls almsot all special attackers. The reason for no other tanky/wall sets is because the lack of recovery and support moves. Reliable tanks need recovery outside of leftovers and pretty much all of Goodras moves are boosters or attacks. On top of that, without Modest and 252 SpA, Goodra fails to do any damage. It sucks that it didn't get Recover via Milotic.

The reason for no Hydration set is because it isn't that great. The rain runs out before Goodra can do much. It's not that reliable unless you are trying to remove status' on one of the first turns. I think the best rain set is maybe to switch into a super effective move so Weakness Policy activates and then you at least a few turns to do some big damage while still being able to heal via Rest, but Goodra is still very slow and doesn't take physical hits too well.

Also defensive Goodra lacks enough power to do much. You really want to run it with Modest + AV so you can do some damage. If not people will just set up on you and shrug off any damage you try to do. If you really want a purely defensive one you can maybe try using it on a team with hazards and hope the enemy doesn't Roar/Whirlwind you away.

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Curse/Acid Armor
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Protect

You would come in after some hazards are set up so you can Curse a bit and force switches with DT while spreading the poison. This will lose to steel types, Taunt, Roar/Whirlwind, physical attackers, and residual damage. The other option is add Hydra+Rest (remove protect), but that will only last a few turns. I think the best set is an attacking set using AV to straight up wall special attackers while carrying a physical wall to switch between. If you want something more unique you can also try this one:

I swear I have the best Goodra out

"THE BLISSEY KILLER"
SAP SIPPER
SASSY (WEAKNESS POLICY)
252 ATT 252 SPATT 6 HP

INFESTATION
OUTRAGE
ICE BEAM
THUNDERBOLT

Guys, guys, guys, I've said already, I don't want to run tank. I'm making a semi-weather team, so I tried to do a specially defensive Goodra. But it seems every non-offensive Goodra set is crap? Eugh.
Dragon's a decent defensive typing, especially when rain teams are real electric/grass move bait (while they are rare to begin with, Goodra resists them both, and they are both primarily special moves), so I wanted to see what use I could make of that.
And no, I'm not going to run outrage, lol.

Has anyone tried a Sap Sipper Goodra Vaporeon core? They cover each other and Vaporeon can BP Acid Armor and Wishes. Is it effective outside of theorycrafting?

Guys, guys, guys, I've said already, I don't want to run tank. I'm making a semi-weather team, so I tried to do a specially defensive Goodra. But it seems every non-offensive Goodra set is crap? Eugh.
Dragon's a decent defensive typing, especially when rain teams are real electric/grass move bait (while they are rare to begin with, Goodra resists them both, and they are both primarily special moves), so I wanted to see what use I could make of that.
If you want defensive just do hydra rest. Toxic stall or bring coverage moves for electric and grass such as EQ, Sludge Bomb, Ice Beam, etc. I would use Goodra as coverage for rain instead of trying to make it a staller. You can also run infestation and that band item that makes trapping moves do more damage.

So I've been thinking about putting Goodra on my Trick Room team, mainly because Breloom is a dick to Trick Room teams (he tends to outspeed everything you've got, so unless you have a grass pokemon on your team you're going to have problems - which I don't) and just to generally wall break as it has great coverage which has only got better with the ORAS move tutors. I'm not looking for it to take take out any fairies (Sludge Wave doesn't score any OHKOs so what's the point), so I would like something that get's through common walls and everything else that isn't a fairy as best as possible. I also thought this would nicely bring up it's new tutor moves for wider discussion (Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Focus Punch and Super Power).

Goodra @ Expert Belt
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 68 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Curse
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Fire Blast

Here's the calcs, before anyone jumps all over me remember this would be just for Trick Room - otherwise the speed drops become a large drawback:

+1 252+ Atk Expert Belt Goodra Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 571-672 (88.9 - 104.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Expert Belt Goodra Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 576-682 (211.7 - 250.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Expert Belt Goodra Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 389-461 (96.5 - 114.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
68 SpA Expert Belt Goodra Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 293-346 (87.7 - 103.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
68 SpA Expert Belt Goodra Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 336-398 (95.4 - 113%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Expert Belt Goodra Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 408-482 (105.9 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Goodra Outrage vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 190-225 (62.5 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Thoughts, or ideas of how to make it more wallbreaker-y, at least under Trick Room?

So I've been thinking about putting Goodra on my Trick Room team, mainly because Breloom is a dick to Trick Room teams (he tends to outspeed everything you've got, so unless you have a grass pokemon on your team you're going to have problems - which I don't) and just to generally wall break as it has great coverage which has only got better with the ORAS move tutors. I'm not looking for it to take take out any fairies (Sludge Wave doesn't score any OHKOs so what's the point), so I would like something that get's through common walls and everything else that isn't a fairy as best as possible. I also thought this would nicely bring up it's new tutor moves for wider discussion (Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Focus Punch and Super Power).

Goodra @ Expert Belt
Brave Nature
- Curse
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Fire Blast

Here's the calcs, before anyone jumps all over me remember this would be just for Trick Room - otherwise the speed drops become a large drawback:

+1 252+ Atk Expert Belt Goodra Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 571-672 (88.9 - 104.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Expert Belt Goodra Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 576-682 (211.7 - 250.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Expert Belt Goodra Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 389-461 (96.5 - 114.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
68 SpA Expert Belt Goodra Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 293-346 (87.7 - 103.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
68 SpA Expert Belt Goodra Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 336-398 (95.4 - 113%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Expert Belt Goodra Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 408-482 (105.9 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Goodra Outrage vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 190-225 (62.5 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Thoughts, or ideas of how to make it more wallbreaker-y, at least under Trick Room?
I really wouldn't recommend boosting under Trick Room at all as the amount of turns it lasts is already extremely small as is, so you'd only be getting like two kills at most if you're lucky by boosting.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE

Goodra @ Expert Belt
Brave Nature
- Curse
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Fire Blast

It isn't really worth it, it needs at least to curses to actually wallbreak something and you only have 4 turns of tr and one of it is wasted switching on goodra/sacrificing a mon. If you want a wallbreaker that works under tr and beats breloom just put a mega heracross there

I really wouldn't recommend boosting under Trick Room at all as the amount of turns it lasts is already extremely small as is, so you'd only be getting like two kills at most if you're lucky by boosting.
No, with the right booster you're pretty much guaranteed two kills and then you can coast off their bulk after that to earn more. Bellyjet Azumarill with knock off is a great example of this - I've not seen anything that can wall it except Ferrothorn some of the time (people play Ferrothorn's usually min speed with Gyro Ball or regular speed with Power Whip, you'll outspeed the regular speed variants in Trick Room with a min speed Azumarill and OHKO the most common defense sets with Knock Off after SR. The Gyro Ball variant simply isn't a threat).

Point is with the extra bulk given by Curse and it's already ridiculous Special Defense you should be able to take something out, and Goodra does have very good coverage which will make switches nervous (it can also KO Rotom-W with Power Whip for example, but the coverage is pretty dubious otherwise).

It isn't really worth it, it needs at least to curses to actually wallbreak something and you only have 4 turns of tr and one of it is wasted switching on goodra/sacrificing a mon. If you want a wallbreaker that works under tr and beats breloom just put a mega heracross there
I don't mind Sacrificing a mon, in fact it's what I built my team to do and at one point is scored 1500+. If it provides very good momentum, then why not? Also as the calcs show, in a good many cases it only needs one boost and if you're in a position where you can fire off Outrage without repercussions a lot of stuff is going down.

Mega Heracross can't do anything against a Breloom lead, which is how many people play them and what I mainly care about. Anything on my team can deal with Breloom once Trick Room is up, but the trouble is when used as a lead you have to let something sleep and then you switch and let Breloom score a decent hit. Goodra checks Breloom, Greninja and Bisharp leads with this level of bulk and the move set proposed - all of which aren't much fun for Trick Room teams (most TR users are Psychics or Ghosts, and Breloom is going to put any lead but Celebi and Whimsicott to sleep - neither of which work out very well). I'd imagine as the new moves are move tutor moves too, it can easily KO one or two of those at unawares.

I'll test it out anyway and see how it plays, it may be that it's just more suited to my team than having broad based TR utility.

If you have some hazard stacking on your team and a way to punish Heal Bells and Defogs/Spins (and a good Fairy switch-in), then Rest/Hydration/Twave/DTail is a decent set to run. Dragonite pulls it off a little better, though, with multiscale and instant recovery. Spread paralyze and deal hazard damage, basically.

Goodra's physical movepool got a lot better. I don't know if it's all that useable, but sub punch goodra just sounds absolutely hilarious if you get a sap sipper boost. Throw in earthquake and dragon tail to be annoying. Still, I don't think Goodra is all that viable.

So AV Goodra can take a Specs Dragalge Draco Meteor despite its weakness and OHKO in return. That's pretty impressive. Absolutely needs Wish support, though.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 270-318 (70.4 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Reactions: En
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)