Pokémon Goodra [REVAMP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also remember opportunity costs. Ie. you lose "physical bulk" with assault vest since , unlike leftovers, assault vest does absolutely nothing when facing physical attacks.

Offensive assault vest goodra also "loses" the extra offensive power it would have gotten had it run something like lifeorb.

Just something to considder.
Exactly.

252 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD AV Goodra: 37 - 43 (9.7 - 11.4%)

Given that Leftovers heals 6.25% per turn, AV only gives more bulk on turns where it takes a special attack doing at least 12.5%. When taking physical attacks, resisted/weak special attacks, or no direct attacks at all, Leftovers comes out ahead in bulk.

Personally, I tried AV Goodra initially, then decided to briefly try ChestoRest instead. Even without ever using Rest, I barely noticed a difference in Goodra's survivability against attacks I was actually letting it take, aside from Ice Beams from Greninja. With neither item mattering much, why not use Leftovers?

Exactly.

252 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD AV Goodra: 37 - 43 (9.7 - 11.4%)

Given that Leftovers heals 6.25% per turn, AV only gives more bulk on turns where it takes a special attack doing at least 12.5%. When taking physical attacks, resisted/weak special attacks, or no direct attacks at all, Leftovers comes out ahead in bulk.

Personally, I tried AV Goodra initially, then decided to briefly try ChestoRest instead. Even without ever using Rest, I barely noticed a difference in Goodra's survivability against attacks I was actually letting it take, aside from Ice Beams from Greninja. With neither item mattering much, why not use Leftovers?
I'll give you my reason for not using leftovers: Because my Gourgeist will already be using it. I always assume item clause, and I felt with Leech Seed and Will-o-wisp, it made Gourgeist a super tank. Since I can't use Leftovers on Goodra, I thought what else could I use to keep her beefy. Assault vest is the next best option.

Plus, if you have wish support, you wouldn't need the Leftovers, and can run the Assault vest just fine.

But again, I see the positives in Leftovers. Just not an option for my team, or maybe other peoples team. They may want to put leftovers on a Pokemon that may need it more.

Anyway, back to movesets. I already stated mine, but I am debating on the last 2 moves)

Adamant(AV, 252 Attack, rest in HP and SpD)
Outrage
Aqua Tail
Iron Tail/Power Whip/Poison Tail/Earthquake

I am torn on which of those 2 moves to use. Iron Tail is powerfull and gives you a SE hit on Fairies, but has 75% acc. Power Whip is powerful, and gives you coverage on waters. Poison tail is a little weak, but it's SE on Fairies, has a high CH chance(so it's 75 BP then), and can poison. Earthquake just gives you great coverage.

Thinking about using a Hydration Infestation Toxic-stalling set. The only things it fears are physical attackers (to some extent) and Steel-types.

Goodra @ Damp Dock
Hydration
Calm 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
-Rain Dance
-Rest
-Toxic
-Infestation

Thinking about using a Hydration Infestation Toxic-stalling set. The only things it fears are physical attackers (to some extent) and Steel-types.

Goodra @ Damp Dock
Hydration
Calm 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
-Rain Dance
-Rest
-Toxic
-Infestation
Ugh this has been suggested before and really it's just an inferior gimmick compared to sets like Assault Vest Goodra. Any steel type alone walls this hard.

No one go for poison tail. If you're running a physical set, use return. It does sliiightly less damage, but does tons more to other types.

Would you prefer for me to say the trade off then? I didnt mean that it was a bad item choice
Yeah I misheard too. Every item has a trade off. O persobnally like the bulky attacking set with Assault vest. like I said before, with wish support you won't miss those leftovers.

I'm personally trying for a set for rain.
Goodra @Leftovers/ Lum Berry
Hydration
Modest 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
-Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
-Rest
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Thunder

Despite the weather nerf I think I can get this to be effective.

I'm personally trying for a set for rain.
Goodra @Leftovers/ Lum Berry
Hydration
Modest 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
-Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
-Rest
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Thunder

Despite the weather nerf I think I can get this to be effective.
I don't think the weather nerf is as horrible as everyone makes it out to be. They just fixed it. 8 turns(with stone) is plenty of time for weather. And under a water team, yes, that set would work.

I'm raising up a mixed water team to run Goodra in:

I have the following:

Goodra @ Leftovers
Hydration
Timid 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Thunder
- Rest

I am also prepping a shell smash baton pass for her. In which case it may end up being better to run SpA / SpD with a life orb or something else similarly aggressive.

I've been running this as a Half-Rain Starter:

Goodra @ Damp Rock
Hydration
Calm 252 HP/ 114 Def/ 112 Spd/ 32 SpA
- Rest
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Dragon Pulse

Pair that up with Hurricane Volcanora, a Swampert, and anything else with Thunder and that first turn Rain Dance does a lot of damage. Rest allows Goodra to stall like no one's buisness, and worst case scenario you can switch out before any major damage is done since it takes Special hits like nobody's business and can survive most physicals excluding Ice Punch and Outrage.

Adamant(AV, 252 Attack, rest in HP and SpD)
Outrage
Aqua Tail

I am torn on which of those 2 moves to use. Iron Tail is powerfull and gives you a SE hit on Fairies, but has 75% acc. Power Whip is powerful, and gives you coverage on waters. Poison tail is a little weak, but it's SE on Fairies, has a high CH chance(so it's 75 BP then), and can poison. Earthquake just gives you great coverage.
Why is Aqua Tail automatic, if this is not a Rain-Supported set? It only hits Ground/Rock/Fire for SE damage, and the first two are hit by Power Whip while the latter two are hit my Earthquake. I would consider Draco Meteor here, since it would truly be your only special move and the surprise factor may be beneficial. I don't think Goodra is in a particularly relevant speed tier, though I could be wrong on that, so a -Speed nature on a Mixed Attacker offers more versatility, I think, that Iron/Poison Tail. Though I suppose if you want to hit fairies on the switch...

Why is Aqua Tail automatic, if this is not a Rain-Supported set? It only hits Ground/Rock/Fire for SE damage, and the first two are hit by Power Whip while the latter two are hit my Earthquake. I would consider Draco Meteor here, since it would truly be your only special move and the surprise factor may be beneficial. I don't think Goodra is in a particularly relevant speed tier, though I could be wrong on that, so a -Speed nature on a Mixed Attacker offers more versatility, I think, that Iron/Poison Tail. Though I suppose if you want to hit fairies on the switch...
well, the plan was to take advantage of sap sipper, hence all the physical attacks, but i suppose a mixed set wouldn't be a bad idea. perhaps 3 physical and draco meteor? just so the -spA from meteor doesn't shut her down. i'll replace that over outrage(the lock and confusion will hurt more then -SpA.)

i have one of the tails to hit the fairies who tend to have low defense, for OHKO's. Iron Tail is probably better then poison tail...

so after draco meteo and iron tail, what other 2 physical moves? Power Whip and EQ?

EDIT: i like the - speed nature though. might be good to consider

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Gooey 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpA
-Dragon Pulse
-Sludge Bomb (will switch to Tbolt when togekiss becomes more popular and Sylveon less)
-Fire Blast
-Infestation

This does well with Aegislash as Goodra will pull physical attackers like only Blissey can. So far only major threat is garchomp which I keep gyarados in stock for

I have been running goodra with
252 hp and 252 spa
Ability in gooey
With leftovers
Ice beam
Fire blast
Toxic
Protect
I have walled with the best of them with just this set and came out on top around 85% of the time.
It's becoming a favorite of mine actually

Regarding curse sets, this one was posted a couple of pages back and seems to have been over looked

I like the look of it a lot, but could someone tell me the benefits of using rest? Leftovers seems like sufficient recovery and rest could allow your opponent to switch in counter. Could Rest be swapped out for Infestation? You switch in on a poke that doesn't threaten Goodra, trap them with infestation and then proceed to set up with Curse.
Without rest you are wrecked by status and constant damage (especially burn). Beyond that Goodra gets no recovery otherwise. Rest is far from bad this gen with 3 very good clerics emerging (Florges, Sylveon, and Togekiss) and the sleep mechanics changing to how they were in gens 1-4.

Without rest you are wrecked by status and constant damage (especially burn). Beyond that Goodra gets no recovery otherwise. Rest is far from bad this gen with 3 very good clerics emerging (Florges, Sylveon, and Togekiss) and the sleep mechanics changing to how they were in gens 1-4.
That makes sense, I hadn't even considered status (my bad). Have you used this set a lot? I'm really interested in it but i'd like to know just how well it does competitively.

That makes sense, I hadn't even considered status (my bad). Have you used this set a lot? I'm really interested in it but i'd like to know just how well it does competitively.
Unfortunately no since showdown wasn't updated with Curse until recently. I tried it once and was facing a mono-fairy team (and that went REALLY well for Goodra). I cant say what to expect from that set in practice, but it is good in theory. That and it needs a LOT of team support.

Unfortunately no since showdown wasn't updated with Curse until recently. I tried it once and was facing a mono-fairy team (and that went REALLY well for Goodra). I cant say what to expect from that set in practice, but it is good in theory. That and it needs a LOT of team support.
oh bloody hell that mono-fairy team must've been fun. It does sound good in theory, and I guess the worst that could happen is that it's not that effective and i'll switch it out for the AV tank set. Concerning team support for the curse set I was thinking wish support from something like Vaporeon (who can scare dragons away with Ice Beam and doesn't take much from ice) and something to take out fairies then it could work okay.

oh bloody hell that mono-fairy team must've been fun. It does sound good in theory, and I guess the worst that could happen is that it's not that effective and i'll switch it out for the AV tank set. Concerning team support for the curse set I was thinking wish support from something like Vaporeon (who can scare dragons away with Ice Beam and doesn't take much from ice) and something to take out fairies then it could work okay.
Actually the best support might be Pixilate Sylveon. Amazing SDef to take Ice hits and Hyper Voice keeps Chomp, Dnite, and Latis you come in on from abusing subs (and I think at least Chomp is OHKOed even if mega and DNite if no Multiscale). Not to mention you can wish-pass and heal bell. Unfortunately, the blasted thing isn't legal (yet), so Florges works fine. AV Goodra with a cleric sounds like a nightmare for a lot of teams, TBH.

I wish this gen came with a few more game changing mons tbh. Other than megaevo's the plethora of 6th gen pokemon is lacking. Goodra is thankfully a beast though. He's definitely going to be a top threat. Now how does he do in sand?

I'd say Goodra's best set would probably be a modest/calm special tank set holding leftovers with 140ish Sp. Atk EVs, around 152 Sp. Def EVs, leaving about 216 HP EVs, running dragon pulse and fire blast for decent offenses, along with rest for durability and toxic for eating away at your opponents. I'd definitely say Gooey is his best ability, as along with sticky web, you could just slow your opponents down to a crawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)