Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find the Heracronite in my Y game. I've beaten the Elite 4, got the national dex, ect. But when I go to the patch of grass in Satalune Forest where it should be, there is no sparkle indicating the item is there. I've even poked around the area to make sure it's not hiding, but the megastone isn't there. Am I missing something?

I can't seem to find the Heracronite in my Y game. I've beaten the Elite 4, got the national dex, ect. But when I go to the patch of grass in Satalune Forest where it should be, there is no sparkle indicating the item is there. I've even poked around the area to make sure it's not hiding, but the megastone isn't there. Am I missing something?
First, you need to have beaten your rival in Kiloude City, then gone to Anistar City to get your Mega Ring updated. After that, the megastones only appear at night from 8-9.

Say I have a Bisharp in Black 2 with Knock Off. I then transfer it to X. If I were to breed it, would Knock Off be passed down? (I want to use a Bisharp with Quick Guard and Knock Off in the next Doubles competition, and Quick Guard is an XY-only egg move).

Say I have a Bisharp in Black 2 with Knock Off. I then transfer it to X. If I were to breed it, would Knock Off be passed down? (I want to use a Bisharp with Quick Guard and Knock Off in the next Doubles competition, and Quick Guard is an XY-only egg move).
No, Knock Off isn't in Pawniard's list of egg moves, thus it won't pass down. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Does the Suction Cups/Stick Hold ability activate in terms of fishing even when the Pokemon with the ability is fainted?

Edit: Thanks for the answer! Glad to know I don't have to level up some lame Pokemon just so I can chain fish in peace.

Alright so I'm about to catch one of these (Well, a Riolu) in the FS in X/Y. Best Ball?
I went with Timer
on mine, but I have different criteria when matching 'mons with balls.

I've seen other people use Dive
(o...kay?), Luxury
(ugh), and Quick Ball
(I can see it, yeah).

You could, of course, pop it in a Safari ball
or Dream Ball

Just follow the advice/guide that Tatertot uses - I do the same thing.

To quote him:
There's been quite a lot of discussion on ball matching here lately, and lots of repeat questions, so I thought I'd give a quick PSA on the topic:

Finding the right matching Pokéballs is not too difficult a thing to accomplish on your own. There's a few things I consider when picking the ball of a Pokémon I'm about to breed:
1. The color scheme of the Pokémon
2. The theme of the Pokémon
3. The rarity of the ball
4. How common a specific ball/combo is around Smogon

For example, let's consider Gastly. Gastly and it's evos are purple in color, so the first thing to do is obviously find if there is a purple Pokéball that is passed down for breeding. (Here is my favorite source: http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/list/pokeball.shtml). As you can see, only the Masterball matches Gastly in terms of color scheme, which regrettably does not pass through breeding.

Next, let's consider the theme of the Pokémon. Ghosts are creatures of darkness, so the most logical choices are the Dusk and Moon Balls, giving us multiple options. At this point, many people turn to the Simple Questions/Requests thread to ask for opinions. A good idea, but let's be honest, I can't be the only one here getting tired of seeing people ask what ball fits Kangaskhan for the umpteenth time, right? So let's continue on.

Rarity. The Moon Ball is only available in 4th gen, while Dusk Balls are available in 4th, 5th, and 6th, making the Moon Ball technically more rare, since fewer people have access to it. At this point, it would be perfectly logical to conclude that the Moon Ball is Gastly's best fit.

HOWEVER, if you look around many of the shops on Smogon, you'd see that Moon Ball Gastly are EVERYWHERE. Really. You can't not find one. So, chances are if you breed one, you won't get many offers for it. Though it's a close call, I'd have to say that the best ball for Gastly in the current state of affairs on Smogon is the Dusk Ball. This gives you the perfect combination of all 4 factors, and gives you something somewhat unique to offer in your thread.

This thought process can be applied to any Pokémon, and has served me well as I expanded my shop's selection of matching balls. I hope that some people find it useful, and that it helps cut down on some of the repetitive ball-matching requests in this thread.
I hope this helps you (in some way).

EDIT:
Forgot to mention... yeah, I know you stated that you were going to catch it in the FS in XY. You could easily trade for any other non-XY balls in the WiFi section. The choice is yours.

Last edited:
I went with Timer
on mine, but I have different criteria when matching 'mons with balls.

I've seen other people use Dive
(o...kay?), Luxury
(ugh), and Quick Ball
(I can see it, yeah).

You could, of course, pop it in a Safari ball
or Dream Ball

Just follow the advice/guide that Tatertot uses - I do the same thing.

To quote him:

I hope this helps you (in some way).

EDIT:
Forgot to mention... yeah, I know you stated that you were going to catch it in the FS in XY. You could easily trade for any other non-XY balls in the WiFi section. The choice is yours.
I can actually understand the Luxury Ball. Helps friendship go up because Riolu needs to evolve in order to breed. But I chose Dive Ball because it (mostly) fits. Thanks for the advice! And I'll save that quote into my notepad :)
(Also, I would of traded on the Wi-Fi forums except for the fact that Female Riolu tend to be worth more thanks to the ratio :/)

I can actually understand the Luxury Ball. Helps friendship go up because Riolu needs to evolve in order to breed. But I chose Dive Ball because it (mostly) fits. Thanks for the advice! And I'll save that quote into my notepad :)
(Also, I would of traded on the Wi-Fi forums except for the fact that Female Riolu tend to be worth more thanks to the ratio :/)
I could easily breed and trade you a spitback, if you wanted. I raise all my breedables to Lv. 100 with the correct IV spread, nature, and egg moves - I also use a 6 IV Ditto.

Will the move "round" have increased power when used in rotation battles, or does that just apply to double and triple battles?

Will the move "round" have increased power when used in rotation battles, or does that just apply to double and triple battles?
No, just Double and Triple Battles. Rotation Battles only have one of the three Pokemon on each side attacking at a time (but both sides can choose to rotate in which of the three they want to attack with) and Round needs both or all three Pokemon on the same side using it at the same time to power up.

On the other hand, Echoed Voice will power up if more than one Pokemon use it consecutively in a Rotation Battle. (come to think of it, I think the Aurorus/Exploud/Chatot Rotation Battle in Cafe Le Wow attempts to use this strategy. A Refrigerate Echoed Voice from Aurorus after one or both of the others have used it might not be fun to take...if they last that long)

No, just Double and Triple Battles. Rotation Battles only have one of the three Pokemon on each side attacking at a time (but both sides can choose to rotate in which of the three they want to attack with) and Round needs both or all three Pokemon on the same side using it at the same time to power up.

On the other hand, Echoed Voice will power up if more than one Pokemon use it consecutively in a Rotation Battle. (come to think of it, I think the Aurorus/Exploud/Chatot Rotation Battle in Cafe Le Wow attempts to use this strategy. A Refrigerate Echoed Voice from Aurorus after one or both of the others have used it might not be fun to take...if they last that long)
Thanks! That's a really big help! :)

I am not 100% sure if I should ask it here but couldn't find a thread for it so here we go:

Since I am playing my Pokemon Soul Silver a lot again since a few days and I now wanna try my best at the battle tower. The most popular tactic to get high win streaks in generation 4 is usually the Trick + Choice Scarf combination combined with 2 set up sweepers like Garchomp, Registeel, Salamence or even Drapion but since that seems a bit cheap and boring I am asking, are there any other methods of getting high win streaks? With that I mean what other battle tower strategies are there besides the usual Trick + Choice Scarf strategy and what Pokemon can I use for getting high win streaks. From what I found out by watching a few other wins streaks 3 slightly bulky attackers with good defensive synergy also seems to work but what Pokemon would I need for that. I generally don't really mind breeding for Pokemon and I have access to all of them minus the event Pokemon so I think I should be able to get most of the Pokemon from the first four generations.

Thanks in advance :)

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Since I am playing my Pokemon Soul Silver a lot again since a few days and I now wanna try my best at the battle tower. The most popular tactic to get high win streaks in generation 4 is usually the Trick + Choice Scarf combination combined with 2 set up sweepers like Garchomp, Registeel, Salamence or even Drapion but since that seems a bit cheap and boring I am asking, are there any other methods of getting high win streaks?
You'll find the old leaderboard for the fourth generation games here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...e-frontier-and-dp-battle-tower-records.52858/

While most of the top teams are Trick-based, you'll see some successful "good-stuff" squads mixed in too. Infernape/Latios/Metagross, Latios/Scizor/Gyarados, Gengar/Garchomp/Metagross, etc. Give it a look. It's probably the best place to start when hunting for ideas.

As far as my own experiences, I wasn't a Smogonite back then, but imperfectly IVed Garchomp/Metagross/Milotic got me over 100 in the Diamond tower.

You'll find the old leaderboard for the fourth generation games here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...e-frontier-and-dp-battle-tower-records.52858/

While most of the top teams are Trick-based, you'll see some successful "good-stuff" squads mixed in too. Infernape/Latios/Metagross, Latios/Scizor/Gyarados, Gengar/Garchomp/Metagross, etc. Give it a look. It's probably the best place to start when hunting for ideas.

As far as my own experiences, I wasn't a Smogonite back then, but imperfectly IVed Garchomp/Metagross/Milotic got me over 100 in the Diamond tower.
Thanks for the advice :). I now have a team in mind consisting of Zapdos, Lucario and possibly Latios since together they resist every type. However there is one problem. Since I already caught the one Latios you get in Soul Silver a long time ago and it is a Bashful nature or one of those non boosting natures. Now should I either use that Latios since Bashful isn't that terrible, should I somehow try to get one with at least a decent nature or should I look for another Pokemon to fill that slot al together. I could also maybe try to ask my sister if I can try to catch a decent Latias on her Heart Gold but she is only around the sixth gym and like never plays the game. This is pretty annoying as Lati@s covered all the types Zapdos and Lucario together didn't resist.

Quick and slightly complicated question about IV breeding.

Note that nature is irrelevant in this case.
If I have 2 perfect IV parents, and one is holding a destiny knot and the other is holding a power item, do I have a one in 6/12 (I'm bad at this kind of math stuff) chance of getting a pokemon with perfect ivs or a one in 31 chance of getting a pokemon with perfect ivs due to the power item automatically choosing one of the 5 IVs that's passed down via destiny knot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)