Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Quick and slightly complicated question about IV breeding.

Note that nature is irrelevant in this case.
If I have 2 perfect IV parents, and one is holding a destiny knot and the other is holding a power item, do I have a one in 6/12 (I'm bad at this kind of math stuff) chance of getting a pokemon with perfect ivs or a one in 31 chance of getting a pokemon with perfect ivs due to the power item automatically choosing one of the 5 IVs that's passed down via destiny knot?
Destiny Knot guarantees that 5 IV's are passed down. The Power item means that one is guaranteed for that stat.

You end up with the same chance of having a 6iv compared to a 5iv as always, youre just guaranteeing that your power item IV is being passed.

Destiny Knot guarantees that 5 IV's are passed down. The Power item means that one is guaranteed for that stat.

You end up with the same chance of having a 6iv compared to a 5iv as always, youre just guaranteeing that your power item IV is being passed.
Thank you so much, the community here is awesome for these questions, as the serebii mechanics page only answers so much.

Also here's another weird question.

I am breeding anylitic magnimites with perfect ivs, the problem is that I am a bit far into breeding for 31 x 6 ivs and have a perfect magnimite and a perfect ditto, and a 4 iv magnimite with 0 speed ivs, what is the quickest way to get a flawless anylitic magnimite with 0 speed ivs and modest nature?

Also there might have been another thing I'm missing in this that I might have just realized.

Would it be quicker to breed the 0 speed iv magnimite with the speed iv power item and have the ditto hold the destiny knot and wait until I get a Xiv magnimite with the modest nature and then do something else that I am too tired to figure out at 9 am after being up since 4 pm?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Empoleon_master, I had a similar issue when trying to breed for 0 Speed IV Ferroseed. I believe that if you use Destiny Knot + Everstone, the chance that you will pass down the 0 IV is greater than the chance that you get a Modest nature when not using Everstone. Remember that while the Power Item guarantees the Speed IV will be passed down, the Destiny Knot still has a good chance to pass it down. Destiny Knot will pass down 5/12 IVs, which means there is a good chance the 0 IV will be chosen as opposed to the nature which has a 1/25 chance of being chosen.

I'd suggest using Destiny Knot on the 6 IV Ditto and Everstone on the 0 Speed Magnemite. It may take a while, but I'm pretty sure it will be faster than if you did not use the Everstone and had to have a chance nature.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, the community here is awesome for these questions, as the serebii mechanics page only answers so much.

Also here's another weird question.

I am breeding anylitic magnimites with perfect ivs, the problem is that I am a bit far into breeding for 31 x 6 ivs and have a perfect magnimite and a perfect ditto, and a 4 iv magnimite with 0 speed ivs, what is the quickest way to get a flawless anylitic magnimite with 0 speed ivs and modest nature?

Also there might have been another thing I'm missing in this that I might have just realized.

Would it be quicker to breed the 0 speed iv magnimite with the speed iv power item and have the ditto hold the destiny knot and wait until I get a Xiv magnimite with the modest nature and then do something else that I am too tired to figure out at 9 am after being up since 4 pm?
You're better off using the power item on the 0 Speed Magnemite, unless the 6 IV one is already Modest. Once you get a 0 Speed Magnemite with the nature you want, give it the Everstone.

Also note that you don't need 31 IVs in Attack, since you won't be using it at all (unless you plan on giving it a physical move like Explosion). 0 Attack IVs might even be better just for less damage done to yourself when confused. That's niche enough not to worry about, though. 31/X/31/31/31/0 with the correct nature is "flawless".

Regardless, you probably want to hope for a Quiet nature instead of Modest. That will lower your Speed even further while still increasing your Special Attack. You'll definitely want Quiet if you plan on using Explosion at any point.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the advice :). I now have a team in mind consisting of Zapdos, Lucario and possibly Latios since together they resist every type. However there is one problem. Since I already caught the one Latios you get in Soul Silver a long time ago and it is a Bashful nature or one of those non boosting natures. Now should I either use that Latios since Bashful isn't that terrible, should I somehow try to get one with at least a decent nature or should I look for another Pokemon to fill that slot al together. I could also maybe try to ask my sister if I can try to catch a decent Latias on her Heart Gold but she is only around the sixth gym and like never plays the game. This is pretty annoying as Lati@s covered all the types Zapdos and Lucario together didn't resist.
A neutral nature really hurts Latios, as even with perfect IVs you won't outrun positive Speed natured base 100 Speed Pokemon. If you search the records page for the Speed tiers, you'll see that neutral Latios maxes at 162 Speed, while there's a big clump of base 100s at 167. Plus, unless you were really aggressive in your soft resetting, it's likely your IVs are quite unexciting, so you may be slower/weaker still. In my experiences, more defensive Pokemon can get away with less ideal IVs in the Tower/Subway/Maison, but the more offensive minded a Pokemon is, the more important IVs become, particularly in Speed and the relevant attack stat.

The best fix is to go with an alternative Pokemon that you can breed. I'd recommend trying a Jolly Garchomp in its place, since a well-bred Garchomp (169 Speed) absolutely outclasses a random Bashful Latios. Choice Band Outrages rack up a ton of OHKOs, while if you prefer a set-up variant, very few things can eat an attack after a single Swords Dance.

One difficulty with both Latios and Garchomp is that your team as proposed is light on the resists to the Ice moves that a Dragon lead will attract en masse. Lucario does resist them, but his defenses are so thin that he often can't switch into such an attack effectively. Accordingly, bulky Scizor or Metagross may serve you better.

Last edited:
A neutral nature really hurts Latios, as even with perfect IVs you won't outrun positive Speed natured base 100 Speed Pokemon. If you search the records page for the Speed tiers, you'll see that neutral Latios maxes at 162 Speed, while there's a big clump of base 100s at 167. Plus, unless you were really aggressive in your soft resetting, it's likely your IVs are quite unexciting, so you may be slower/weaker still. In my experiences, more defensive Pokemon can get away with less ideal IVs in the Tower/Subway/Maison, but the more offensive minded a Pokemon is, the more important IVs become, particularly in Speed and the relevant attack stat.

The best fix is to go with an alternative Pokemon that you can breed. I'd recommend trying a Jolly Garchomp in its place, since a well-bred Garchomp (169 Speed) absolutely outclasses a random Bashful Latios. Choice Band Outrages rack up a ton of OHKOs, while if you prefer a set-up variant, very few things can eat an attack after a single Swords Dance.

One difficulty with both Latios and Garchomp is that your team as proposed is light on the resists to the Ice moves that a Dragon lead will attack en masse. Lucario does resist them, but his defenses are so thin that he often can't switch into such an attack effectively. Accordingly, bulky Scizor or Metagross may serve you better.
Thanks for the suggestions. For a Latios replacement I have been thinking about using Salamence but Garchomp can also fit. Garchomp would probably be the better one of the two seeing as how he doesn't share the Flying type with Zapdos. As for Lucario I think I will just try out Lucario and then replace it if it doesn't work too well. Surely his defenses may not be stellar but 70 / 70 / 70 is not unusable. However if he doesn't fit well Scizor will most likely be the main candidate since trying to get a Metagross is nearly impossible in generation 4 and I already have a good Scizor in my pc box.

Wass there some sort of reason ever given or found out for why Nidorina and Nidoqueen are not able to breed when Nidoran F can? Would it cause weird issues relating to the whole Nidoran Gender thing or something?

You're better off using the power item on the 0 Speed Magnemite, unless the 6 IV one is already Modest. Once you get a 0 Speed Magnemite with the nature you want, give it the Everstone.

Also note that you don't need 31 IVs in Attack, since you won't be using it at all (unless you plan on giving it a physical move like Explosion). 0 Attack IVs might even be better just for less damage done to yourself when confused. That's niche enough not to worry about, though. 31/X/31/31/31/0 with the correct nature is "flawless".

Regardless, you probably want to hope for a Quiet nature instead of Modest. That will lower your Speed even further while still increasing your Special Attack. You'll definitely want Quiet if you plan on using Explosion at any point.
My reaction with finding out about how I'm supposed to use quiet nature instead of modest. And 0 attack ivs, when I've been giving away 0 atk dittos from the friend sfari thinking they're worthless.

Mod Edit: Don't do stuff like that

Last edited by a moderator:
Wass there some sort of reason ever given or found out for why Nidorina and Nidoqueen are not able to breed when Nidoran F can? Would it cause weird issues relating to the whole Nidoran Gender thing or something?
I believe it was initially a glitch that was then kept for flavour reasons (because everyone was already used to it). Not 100% about this though, that's what I've heard.

If I breed two Pokemon of the same species, the male's ability doesn't matter as long as the female's is the one I want, right? Just confirming, I seem to have bad luck with abilities lately >__>

If I breed two Pokemon of the same species, the male's ability doesn't matter as long as the female's is the one I want, right? Just confirming, I seem to have bad luck with abilities lately >__>
Pretty much, yeah. The female has an 80% chance of passing down her ability; the other 20% being relegated to any other abilities. The male chance of whateverthepercentageis only applies to breeding with Ditto.

The hidden ability may only be passed down by a female unless breeding with Ditto in which case a male can pass it down too. If it isn't the hidden ability then it doesn't matter so much, especially if you can rack up 200 BP for Ability Capsule.

Or what Kurona said.

sorry where is the list of XY hatch locations? i can't seem to find it sorry. i searched google and all i get are O-power locations and stuff. searched smogon thread and it's not comming up quickly.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
sorry where is the list of XY hatch locations? i can't seem to find it sorry. i searched google and all i get are O-power locations and stuff. searched smogon thread and it's not comming up quickly.
Pokearth on serebii is pretty good for that.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but why is it on showdown that the full ev spread total is 508 when it's 510 ev total now? Unless i'm doing the maths wrong, an example of this would my Blaziken's EV spread: 252 atk, 224 def, 30 atk and 4 speed which does total to 510.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The maximum number of EVs has always been 510, but you only get a stat point for every 4 EVs. 510 is not divisible by 4, but 508 is. The extra 2 EVs will never influence your stats, so PS simplifies things by making EVs cap at 508.

I have played Pokemon since gen three, and only now am i wanting to learn how to play competitively, specifically in triple battles. I just joined smogon today, so I have absolutely no clue as how to do things here, or where to do them, for that matter. I want to create a team using my sturdinja(sturdy shedinja), wondertomb(wonder guard spritomb), shiny mega charizard y, and a skill swapping hidden ability carbink. I already know that my shedinja will have safety goggles, but I still need two more team members, items to give them, and all the help i can get! Can someone please help me?

I have played Pokemon since gen three, and only now am i wanting to learn how to play competitively, specifically in triple battles. I just joined smogon today, so I have absolutely no clue as how to do things here, or where to do them, for that matter. I want to create a team using my sturdinja(sturdy shedinja), wondertomb(wonder guard spritomb), shiny mega charizard y, and skill swap hidden ability carbink. I already know that my shedinja will have safety goggles, but I still need two more team members, items to give them, and all the help i can get! Can someone please help me?
If you are new to Competitive Battling, Smogon has a Mentorship forum where you can learn about it. :) (btw this forum is about in-game Pokemon)

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I have played Pokemon since gen three, and only now am i wanting to learn how to play competitively, specifically in triple battles. I just joined smogon today, so I have absolutely no clue as how to do things here, or where to do them, for that matter. I want to create a team using my sturdinja(sturdy shedinja), wondertomb(wonder guard spritomb), shiny mega charizard y, and a skill swapping hidden ability carbink. I already know that my shedinja will have safety goggles, but I still need two more team members, items to give them, and all the help i can get! Can someone please help me?
Most strategies hinging around shedinja are considered gimmicks: a novice player can be tripped up by them, but they are difficult to pull off against experienced battlers.

I would recommend reading RMTs ("rate my team" posts) to see what pokemon are most successful, how they can do work for you, and what are good teammates for them. This will help you learn not just what to bring to be successful in matches, but also what to expect from your opponents. Here is the link for the RMT forum section you'll be most interested in. There aren't many for triples on the front page currently, but there are many for doubles and VGC 2014 (a specialized doubles ruleset for official Nintendo competitions), which is similar enough that you should be able to adapt the teams easily for triples. Look for RMTs labeled "doubles" or "VGC 2014". You might also search older pages for triples posts.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Considering all these Pokemon are hacks, you really shouldn't be mentioning them here. I would suggest you check out Balanced Hackmons up in the Other Metas as you will be instantly blacklisted if you battle with these Pokemon vs a Smogoner.

Also: As other people have said, this is the Ingame section of Smogon, we do not battle vs people here.

Considering all these Pokemon are hacks, you really shouldn't be mentioning them here. I would suggest you check out Balanced Hackmons up in the Other Metas as you will be instantly blacklisted if you battle with these Pokemon vs a Smogoner.

Also: As other people have said, this is the Ingame section of Smogon, we do not battle vs people here.
They aren't hacks, the carbink has the move skill swap and the hidden ability sturdy. carbink uses skill swap on shedinja and then on spritomb. but this was my very first post on smogon and the only reason i posted on this page is because i found this one using the advanced search feature. sorry about the mix up, i should have labeled it clearer.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
If I have a fainted lv 39 Pokemon in the first slot of my party and a lv 100 Smeragle in slot 2, and I use a repel, does repel factor in the fainted Pokemon in slot 1 (meaning it repels up to lv 39+) or the Smeragle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)