Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Looks like I just discovered something: the Pokemon that Kyurem fuses with using the DNA Splicers is stored in the game's memory, not in Kyurem itself. Did anyone else know that?
Yes. That's the reason why you can't trade Black/White Kyurem in B2W2 and (I presume; never actually tried) X/Y/ORAS. Also why you couldn't download it off of Pokecheck, when it still existed.

Yes. That's the reason why you can't trade Black/White Kyurem in B2W2 and (I presume; never actually tried) X/Y/ORAS. Also why you couldn't download it off of Pokecheck, when it still existed.
I just did the experiment, was surprised when my "White"-Kyurem actually split into Kyurem and Zekrom (I fused a Kyurem and Zekrom first, then unfused a W-Kyurem I injected in my game and found out). I guess that's also why I couldn't 'unsplit' the W-Kyurem without fusing another Kyurem first

Only in this generation, and possibly onwards. Granted, the only legendary Pokemon that are really needed to be obtained in gen 5 are the ones from Dream Radar other than the Creation trio. (Ho-Oh is kind of worthless without Regenerator especially) It's even less needed since most official competitions, especially VGC, require the ones not banned to be gen 6 native.
I actually wanted a Cresselia lol..

I actually wanted a Cresselia lol..
Cresselia is in OR/AS on Crescent Isle, one of several randomly appearing mirage spots every day. (you can use StreetPass to get more mirage spots until midnight of the day you check them, up to 30 at a time, and I believe these can be soft reset until you get the ones you desire) Crescent Isle appears near Ever Grande City when soaring if you have it at the time.

Cresselia is in OR/AS on Crescent Isle, one of several randomly appearing mirage spots every day. (you can use StreetPass to get more mirage spots until midnight of the day you check them, up to 30 at a time, and I believe these can be soft reset until you get the ones you desire) Crescent Isle appears near Ever Grande City when soaring if you have it at the time.
It's really helpful knowing this info when I don't even have the game lol
Stuck with X

Edit: Also, will Breloom be good with Jolly, or Adamant when Sticky Web is in effect in Battle Maison?

Stuck with X

Edit: Also, will Breloom be good with Jolly, or Adamant when Sticky Web is in effect in Battle Maison?
Breloom with SW is slow as hell regardless, so it doesn't matter
Scratch that, I thought you meant him suffering the SW

Last edited:
Stuck with X

Depends, adamant will out speed everything slower than base 115 with full investment, jolly will out speed everything slower than base 130 with full investment. I would take it to the battle maison thread for a more educated answer.

Stuck with X

Well it's going to be available for some time even after the final gen 6 title(s) come out, so whenever you pick it up. Or trade for it, or learn how to RNG in Black2/White2 to get yourself the Lunar Pokemon. (dig around this thread a little, I'm sure there's a link to the relevant threads in learning how to RNG in one of the more recent pages)

Breloom's not that fast, and you're intending to compensate with Sticky Web, so I'd say go Adamant. Still, it'd be a good idea to check the Battle Maison thread to see what's suggested there.

OK, thanks

Another question: Does Pressure still work when the opponent uses a move that misses? Like this:

Suicune used Protect
Blaziken used Flare Blitz
I protected myself, so does Blaziken get 2PP gone from Flare Blitz?

Suicune used Calm Mind
Blaziken used High Jump Kick
The attack missed, does High jump kick get 2PP taken as well?

OK, thanks

Another question: Does Pressure still work when the opponent uses a move that misses? Like this:

Suicune used Protect

Suicune used Calm Mind
I'm pretty sure it does for the second one, and I think it applies to the first one as well

OK, thanks

Suicune used Protect

Suicune used Calm Mind
No, only when the user of Pressure is hit. If it doesn't hit them, they don't lose extra PP.

You know, I'm pretty sure you could look up some of these on Serebii or Bulbapedia as opposed to asking here.

Regarding the Shiny Arceus event, are there any photos/screenshots/other proof floating around? Right now every source I can find just links back to Serebii. Apparently a Shiny Arceus also has a special wondercard that non-Shiny Arceus don't have? Any screenshots of that?

Serebii also says that there is an equal chance to get 19 different types of Arceus, with 18 being the normal holding a random Plate/Silk Scarf and the 19th being a Shiny Arceus holding a Silk Scarf. This implies that you cannot receive a Shiny Arceus holding any other item and that the chance of receiving one is an even 1/19. Is this speculation or not?

Regarding the Shiny Arceus event, are there any photos/screenshots/other proof floating around? Right now every source I can find just links back to Serebii. Apparently a Shiny Arceus also has a special wondercard that non-Shiny Arceus don't have? Any screenshots of that?

Serebii also says that there is an equal chance to get 19 different types of Arceus, with 18 being the normal holding a random Plate/Silk Scarf and the 19th being a Shiny Arceus holding a Silk Scarf. This implies that you cannot receive a Shiny Arceus holding any other item and that the chance of receiving one is an even 1/19. Is this speculation or not?
It probably is speculation. I'll say you have a 4095/18 over 4096 chance of getting a non-shiny variant and a 1 over 4096 chance of getting a shiny. My only reference is those subway Pokemon in Japan, where you had a 1/8192 chance of finding a shiny (the standard shiny rate of the 5th gen games)

i know I probably should've posted on marilland but meh

What exactly do you guys do regarding dragon tail/roar/phasing moves in general? I just left the mon that got dragged out to die but I really want to know for future runs. For wedlockes I forgot to say that lol

Last edited:
i know I probably should've posted on marilland but meh

What exactly do you guys do regarding dragon tail/roar/phasing moves in general? I just left the mon that got dragged out to die but I really want to know for future runs.
I think your referring to a wedlocke or something similar? I would say use that Pokemon or pair for the rest of the battle.

I'm having a moral dilemma here.

Someday, I want to be able to enter a tournament or two in the future, but I'm absolutely terrible at breeding and catching Pokemon. Mainly for a few reasons:
  • EVs and IVs are just way too complicated for me to understand.
  • Natures only tell me how the Pokemon acts in my headcanon.
  • I don't have the patience to breed the perfect team.
So, as a result, I usually use... unscrupulous methods to make a good team. And by "unscrupulous methods", I mean "PokeSav", "PokeGen" and "QR downloading".

Now, don't deride me for doing this; I keep things within reason. I give legal moves. I have reasonable stats. No Pokerus, as I've never even seen it happen to me before. The occasional Shiny. All that jazz.

All I want to know is this: is what I am doing morally wrong?

I just want to try and see if I could possibly enter the competitive battling scene some ways down the line. I just want everyone to have fun. I don't want my victories to be hollow because I have a Garchomp that knows Recover, Seed Flare, Origin Pulse, and V-create. I want to stay as legal as physically possible.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Someday, I want to be able to enter a tournament or two in the future, but I'm absolutely terrible at breeding and catching Pokemon. Mainly for a few reasons:
So, as a result, I usually use... unscrupulous methods to make a good team. And by "unscrupulous methods", I mean "PokeSav", "PokeGen" and "QR downloading".

Now, don't deride me for doing this; I keep things within reason. I give legal moves. I have reasonable stats. No Pokerus, as I've never even seen it happen to me before. The occasional Shiny. All that jazz.

I just want to try and see if I could possibly enter the competitive battling scene some ways down the line. I just want everyone to have fun. I don't want my victories to be hollow because I have a Garchomp that knows Recover, Seed Flare, Origin Pulse, and V-create. I want to stay as legal as physically possible.
I'm with you; breeding is stupid and IVs are a detriment to getting into competitive. If these tournaments are the official VGC ones then cheat at your our risk since you'll get banned forever if you get caught. Then again Ray Rizzo fought with a Dream Ball Aegislash and they didn't notice; their hack checks probably only detect illegal moves and abilities.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader

So you don't understand IVs/EVs/Natures, yet you use external devices to hack competively viable Pokemon? I don't get it.

As someone who frequents the WiFi sub forum, I'd probably be shot belittled for saying this, but I personally don't think it makes a difference if the Pokemon are legitimate or not if they're for personal use in battle (as long as stats, moveset, etc. are legal); legal Pokemon perform the exact same in battle as legitimate Pokemon.

That being said, hacking Pokemon for the sake of trading them, even if they appear legal, does not fly in my book. If you plan on getting into trading, you're gonna have to breed up Pokemon the legitimate, old fashioned way. If you also go to any official tournaments such as the VGC series, you will have to use legitimate Pokemon.

So you don't understand IVs/EVs/Natures, yet you use external devices to hack competively viable Pokemon? I don't get it.

As someone who frequents the WiFi sub forum, I'd probably be shot belittled for saying this, but I personally don't think it makes a difference if the Pokemon are legitimate or not if they're for personal use in battle (as long as stats, moveset, etc. are legal); legal Pokemon perform the exact same in battle as legitimate Pokemon.

That being said, hacking Pokemon for the sake of trading them, even if they appear legal, does not fly in my book. If you plan on getting into trading, you're gonna have to breed up Pokemon the legitimate, old fashioned way. If you also go to any official tournaments such as the VGC series, you will have to use legitimate Pokemon.
I never said I use these hacked teams for tourneys. And besides, just because I hack up EVs/IVs/Natures, it doesn't mean I understand it. Usually, I just randomize all IVs and EVs, and pick a Nature by going "Eeney Meeney Miney Moe".

My point is, I don't want to enter a tourney yet, mainly because I don't understand the finer points. Even with Super Training, I'm still struggling to comprehend. That, and I don't have the patience to continuously catch the same Pokemon in the hopes that it's IV's and Nature are good.

I never said I use these hacked teams for tourneys. And besides, just because I hack up EVs/IVs/Natures, it doesn't mean I understand it. Usually, I just randomize all IVs and EVs, and pick a Nature by going "Eeney Meeney Miney Moe".

My point is, I don't want to enter a tourney yet, mainly because I don't understand the finer points. Even with Super Training, I'm still struggling to comprehend. That, and I don't have the patience to continuously catch the same Pokemon in the hopes that it's IV's and Nature are good.
If that's what you do then ... why don't you just catch those Pokemon in the wild? At least they'd be legitimate then.

My advice to you is to actually try your hand out at battling and EV-training, to begin with, and you'll probably start to understand that way. Watch some YouTube videos, read some articles, ask questions, and you'll find out that it's not that hard with practice.

I really wouldn't go as far as saying it's morally wrong lol. Honestly, as long as you keep sticking to making "legit" Pokémon (as you said, not giving them moves and stats and stuff they wouldn't usually have) then honestly it's absolutely fine. However - and from how you've come across and what you've said I'm sure you do this anyway - it is important to note that when battling with them or trading them, you let the person on the other side know they're hacked in rather than obtained completely legitimately.
It's really not morally wrong though; it's just a video game you're using cheats on at the end of the day.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Regardless of how you intend to use them, speaking about hacks is against the rules.

If you don't understand how IVs, EVs or natures work then I strongly suggest googling the mechanics as there are literally countless guides on the internet. If you aren't interested in doing so then I'm sorry to say, but you won't make it playing competitively (save for fun matches between friends). I'll try to save you most of the trouble in a hide tag so as not to clutter the thread.

IVs: (Individual Values)

Every Pokemon has a hidden value in each stat which ranges from 0-31. Long story short; you want all relevant stats to be 31 so that their actual stat is as high as possible. All Pokemon caught in the wild will have totally random IVs ranging from 0-31 in each stat, except for Pokemon in the 'Undiscovered' egg group, which will have 3 random stats that contain a 31 IV (so basically just 'baby' Pokemon that can't breed and Legendary Pokemon). Also, anything caught in the Friend Safari in XY will have 2 guaranteed 31's. IV's also determine what type the move Hidden Power will be when used by your Pokemon (this is a little harder to explain but I'll try to keep it simple). The attack type that Hidden Power is determined by the combination of 'odd' and 'even' IVs. For example; an IV spread of 31/31/31/31/31/31 will be Dark-typed, whereas a spread of 31/30/30/31/31/31 will be Ice-typed, and 31/30/31/30/31/30 will be Fire-typed. A lot of people will breed for these specific IV combinations so that they can get the Hidden Power type they need (I'll provide a list of all combinations below).

You can also breed your Pokemon to pass on IVs to their offspring. The new breeding mechanics in gen-VI have made breeding so damn easy that hacking isn't really necessary. Check out this guide, then grab yourself a perfect Ditto from here and get breeding.

Dark:
31/31/31/31/31/31

Dragon:
30/31/31/31/31/31
31/30/31/31/31/31
30/30/31/31/31/31
31/31/30/31/31/31

Ice:
30/31/30/31/31/31
31/30/30/31/31/31
30/30/30/31/31/31
31/31/31/31/31/30

Psychic:
30/31/31/31/31/30
31/30/31/31/31/30
30/30/31/31/31/30
31/31/30/31/31/30

Electric:
30/31/30/31/31/30
31/30/30/31/31/30
30/30/30/31/31/30
31/31/31/30/31/31

Grass:
30/31/31/30/31/31
31/30/31/30/31/31
30/30/31/30/31/31
31/31/30/30/31/31
30/31/30/30/31/31

Water:
31/30/30/30/31/31
30/30/30/30/31/31
31/31/31/30/31/30
30/31/31/30/31/30

Fire:
31/30/31/30/31/30
30/30/31/30/31/30
31/31/30/30/31/30
30/31/30/30/31/30

Steel:
31/30/30/30/31/30
30/30/30/30/31/30
31/31/31/31/30/31
30/31/31/31/30/31

Ghost:
31/30/31/31/30/31
30/30/31/31/30/31
31/31/30/31/30/31
30/31/30/31/30/31

Bug:
31/30/30/31/30/31
30/30/30/31/30/31
31/31/31/31/30/30
30/31/31/31/30/30
31/30/31/31/30/30

Rock:
30/30/31/31/30/30
31/31/30/31/30/30
30/31/30/31/30/30
31/30/30/31/30/30

Ground:
30/30/30/31/30/30
31/31/31/30/30/31
30/31/31/30/30/31
31/30/31/30/30/31

Poison:
30/30/31/30/30/31
31/31/30/30/30/31
30/31/30/30/30/31
31/30/30/30/30/31

Flying:
30/30/30/30/30/31
31/31/31/30/30/30
30/31/31/30/30/30
31/30/31/30/30/30

Fighting:
30/30/31/30/30/30
31/31/30/30/30/30
30/31/30/30/30/30
31/30/30/30/30/30
30/30/30/30/30/30

EVs: (Effort Values)

These increase a Pokemon's stats even further, and are earned by either beating another Pokemon (anytime you earn Exp. you are earning EVs), using Vitamins or Wings, or through Super Training. Each Pokemon is able to earn a total of 510 EVs, and no single stat is able to have more than 252. The way these work is that at level 100, a stat is increased by 1 for every 4 EVs you have (or 8 if at level 50). The most common way to distribute EVs is very simple; just max out two stats! 252 + 252 = 504. This means you have 4 left over to put into something of your choice (more often than not it's HP), then you have 2 leftover EVs that will make no difference no matter where you put them (blame Game Freak). For example; on a Physical Attacker like Garchomp, it's simplest to just roll with an EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed. Some EV spreads are more complicated as they are designed to do certain things like hit a particular speed number, survive a certain hit from a common Pokemon, or balance out both attacking stats on a mixed attacker.

Gen-VI introduced horde battles, which makes EV training your Pokemon quicker and easier than ever, meaning that hacking is no longer necessary! (You also don't have to rely on Super Training, which takes much longer in comparison) Check out this guide on how to do it (there's also one for ORAS hordes).

Natures:

I understand how these interact with your headcanon, but they can not be ignored if you want to be a successful battler (you may also have to get over the fact that you will have A LOT of similarly-natured Pokemon, lol). Natures are important as they give a significant boost to a stat of your choice. Natures all give a 10% boost to one stat, while also giving a 10% reduction to another stat. You may be thinking that having a stat lowered by 10% is undesireable, but the thing is, of the 6 stats that a Pokemon has, there is always one that doesn't mind being lowered. The stat being lowered is more often than not the unused attacking stat, such as Special Attack on a Physical Attacker (or vice-versa), a Defensive stat on a mixed attacker, or Speed on something that is super slow.

For example; using the Garchomp in the EV example, you would probably want either a Jolly nature since that raises Speed while lowering Special Attack. You could also go with Adamant as that instead raises Attack while also lowering Special Attack.

Natures are very easily manipulatable in the wild or with breeding. If you want to catch something with a certain nature in the wild, find yourself a Pokemon with the Ability Synchronize and the Nature that you want to pass to the wild Pokemon. If you have this Pokemon at the front of your party when encountering a wild Pokemon (Legendaries included, but not Mystery Gifts) you have a 50% chance of passing the Nature of the Synchronizer to the wild Pokemon! If you want to pass the Nature of a parent to its offspring while breeding, make sure the parent has the Nature you need, and give it an Everstone to hold. This makes sure that every baby it produces will have that Nature. It's OK if you can't remember what every Nature boosts and lowers, you can just look at your Pokemon's summary screen in-game. If a stat is red, it's being raised by the nature (you can remember this as the 'hot' stat). If it's blue then it's being lowered (you can remember it as the 'cold' stat). Some natures will not have a red or blue stat, these are neutral natures, and are completely useless. Some people use them on mixed attackers since they don't want any stat to be lowered, but in that case it's more beneficial to squeeze a boost out of an attacking stat or speed at the cost of some defence. These natures are neutral because they are raising and lowering the same stat at the same time

Let's put it all together!

OK so I may as well do an example of a finished Pokemon with an optimized IV + EV + Nature combination, and I'm gonna do it with Manectric!

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
IVs: 31/0/30/31/31/31
EVs: 252 Special Attack / 4 Special Defence / 252 Speed
Level 50 stats: 145 / 85 / 80 / 157 / 81 / 172
Timid Nature (+ Speed, - Attack)
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power
- Volt Switch

OK so I'll begin with the IVs. The combination of odd/even/even/odd/odd/odd gives Hidden Power Ice. The 30 on defense is the highest even number you can have so it gives the necessary even number, while not reducing your actual defensive stat. The 0 attack is completely unnecessary and could be any even number. People who are super serious will note that the lower your attack stat is, the less damage you will take from the move Foul Play (uses your stat against you) and confusion, so these players aim for it to be as low as possible in this case.

The EVs are very simple; I've just maxed out the two most important stats that Manectric needs (Special Attack and Speed). The remaining 4 EVs have been put into Special Defence, the reasoning is so that instead of having both Defensive stats at 80, the Special Defence is one point higher. This means that if something that has the ability Download comes in, it will get an Attack boost to take advantage of the lower stat. All Download users are Special Attackers so that would not benefit them in that situation.. This is a really specialised reasoning, anything else would probably just put the 4 EVs into HP, but I thought I would use this example anyway haha.

The Timid Nature is chosen to increase Manectric's most important stat (Speed), while also lowering his unused one (Attack). You could alternatively use a Modest Nature (+Special Attack, - Attack) but Manectric likes to have maxed speed rather than extra power..

I hope this helped! If you have any other questions then feel free to PM me and I'll try to explain as best I can

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't suppose there are any rules against threads about pokemon rom hacks or anything is there?
OI rules said:
  1. Do not ask for links to emulators or ROMs, provide access to them, or discuss ways to exploit them for personal gain.
    • Let's Plays of Pokémon hacks are fine, but do not provide links.
iirc there were a few discussion threads regarding a few fan made roms but I forget what any of them were called. As long as you're just discussing the gameplay, but not providing ways for people to gain access to them, I'm pretty sure it's fine

I would still message an OI mod just to make sure since it's a pretty touchy subject

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)