Headstart - Best Poke to Abuse a Free Turn?

So, here is the scenario:

Its the middle of a game. You have a free switch in and a single turn of safety after you performed the switch... gg?

I want to know how people would abuse that scenario. You probably cant cover the entire metagame with just one hugely abusive sweeper, that sort of thing just doesnt happen.... but maybe you cover the metagame with just two or three. What kind of setup do you have to have to turn that situation into a victory, is there anything that could feasibly stop you?

Art by sirndpt, yay! (click for more art)

I've been pondering this problem for a few days now. So far I've been experimenting with various sweepers to see what kind of havoc I can wreak. However, I'm extremely concious that:
a) I havent been selecting sweepers that compliment each other, merely those with raw power
b) I've almost certainly forgotten some of the greatest sweepers
c) I've only used setup sweepers when there are probably a whole range of ways to use the free turn

So, what I want you guys to do is to show me how badly you can abuse this scenario and how badly broken some pokes can be. I'm looking for specific builds along with an explanation of why that poke is sick, possible team-mates, counters, and maybe a brief summary of how good the poke is outside of this specific scenario.

Here are some ideas to start us off....

Shell Smash, Skill Link, Ice Spear.... this guy is obnoxious.

This guy is obviously the best shell smasher in the game but is he good enough to merit a place in the team? Ice Spear is ridiculous for both its power and the ability to smash past dragons, focus sashes, multiscale, and substitutes. Tbh I think this guy probably is powerful enough but only justifiable if we can find an adequate partner in crime.

If nothing else it'd be pretty useful to work out exactly what the best build is, given the brief.

Half goat, half hammerhead shark, I've adopted this poke as an honourary dragon because it fills almsot exactly the same role.

Jolly (+Spe, -SpA), +252 Speed, +252 Attack @ Life Orb
Swords Dance
Leaf Blade
Close Combat
Stone Edge

With this set Virizion can one-shot a substantial part of the metagame even without any boosts. This makes it pretty dandy as a flexible attack, possible to use outside of the gimmick as well as being a potent abuser. After a single swords dance (which I hope to garuantee) Virizion can remove anything that doesnt resist both his main STAB attacks (and isnt weak to stone edge). i.e. anything that isnt Celebi, Lati@s, or something uncommon and unheard of. Priority and scarf users are also problematic but seldom lethal. Oh, and sturdy/band, I guess he needs stealth rock support if he wants to break those guys.

Protip: Virizion can one-shot every single weather user. Yay.

I like Dragons. I like dragons sooooo much that I had to restrain myself from listing multiple different setups and describing each in detail. However, I only want to know about the most absolutely abusive dragons, their partners, and their tremendous coverage.

DD Dragonite, substitute Dragonite, hurricane Dragonite, mixed Latios, calm mind Latias, moxie Salamence, Kyurem.... lots to choose from here. Be cool, be inventive.

My current favourite is dragon dance Haxorus. He might not have multiscale but its not as if a whole heap of things can one shot him anyway and almost nothing can stand in his way once he starts to sweep.

Adament, +252 Attack, +252 Speed, Mold Breaker @ Life Orb
Dragon Dance
OUTRAGE
Earthquake
Dual Chop

Ok, so this defiantely isnt the best build to abuse free setup but it is an incredible build if you want to make enormous dents in the other team and set the stage for my particular trick shot. While its not an especially good abuser you could use it as a benchmark when recommending dragons. I just happen to like this build too much to resist posting it.

Linoone is pretty special. A turn of freedom will buy him a single belly drum which sets him up for a garuanteed team sweep if he isnt hard countered.

He can only really use one build as described here. Hard counters are:
- bulky steel types
- fake out users
- er....
- fast ghost types

If your opponent has none of the above (lets assume you killed them :P) then they just lost.

Most baton pass tactics are completely off limits because they require two turns to setup. Two turns is enough for your opponent to switch and then phase you, which is obviously a failure. However...

Smeargle @ White Herb + some EVs
Shell Smash
Spore
Baton Pass
Ingrain

So, Smeargle can use the free turn to perform a shell smash. As soon as the phaser enters the battle Smeargle is fast enough to auto-sleep the threat or use ingrain if you think Smeargle can take a hit. Spore gives Smeargle a second free turn with which to baton pass and it also cripples an opposing poke into the bargain.

I have no idea what you would partner this with but there must be something out there.

Counters would include pokemon who are immune to sleep although these are probably only soft counters - you could bypass the spore step and survive by passing to something that can take a hit or two. Breloom might be a genuine hard counter.

Baton passing to Espeon might be a valid alternative to using Smeargle but I have no idea how effective that would be, is a free turn enough? I have a suspicion that baton passing is basicly just this big gimmick that relies on your opponent not having a good phaser. This is probably wrong so hopefully someone can correct me here and maybe demonstrate how baton pass can use a free turn.

Priority Swords Dance (Weavile, Scizor)
Nasty Plot (I havent tried any nasty plot users yet, wtf?)
Rollout, Charge Beam, Moxie, attack-to-setup sweepers?
Calm Mind, Stockpile, Cotton Guard, etc?
Substitute abusers
Demon creatures that setup their own tailwind (or rain, screens, whatever)

I feel like there is something creative and hugely evil lurking out there but I couldnt tell you what it might be or what form it might take. Please help me find it :)

Oh, btw, I dont want to hear about how "that would never happen", "a good player wouldnt give you a free turn", or even "the metagame is too varied to counter everything". Obvious comments are obvious. Besides, I am pretty confident that I can garuantee a turn of safety and, however varied the metagame is, a free turn is such a huge advantage that I'd be astonished if we cant find some combination that completely dicks 99% of everything.

.... Go!

Back in the day, I'd say it was Garchomp hands down. With sand up and a SD Sub Garchomp in your face and a free turn, it was usually gg. Very few things could capitalize on a free turn as much as he could.

Nowadays, it's really for things like Dragonite and Lucario, who are devastating sweepers that only need a boost or two to wreak utter havoc.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Cloyster is the best example of a sweeper who can literally win the game with one free turn. With one boost and Stealth Rock, it can OHKO almost everything in the game. It can outspeed Scarf Terrakion with investment to spare, and even with an Adamant nature can abuse that extra power with Stealth Rock down.

Back in the day, I'd say it was Garchomp hands down. With sand up and a SD Sub Garchomp in your face and a free turn, it was usually gg. Very few things could capitalize on a free turn as much as he could.

Nowadays, it's really for things like Dragonite and Lucario, who are devastating sweepers that only need a boost or two to wreak utter havoc.
This. I'd also like to add that pretty much all dragons that can boost can turn the tide, in my opinion.

No mention of TR Reuniclus? I would encounter this situation of a free turn with my TR team (thanks Whimsicott). With one turn of set up, Reuniclus literally turns the entire metagame upside-down by becoming one of the fastest Pokemon and making everything else slower. Now he has 4 turns of sweeping, ready to unleash 125 Sp. Atk with absolute perfect coverage, not to mention a free 1.3x boost courtesy of Life Orb!

It wasn't suspected Uber for nothing people ;)

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since everyone has been listing set-up sweepers, i guess i'll go away from that a bit and say CB Terrakion. Trust me when i say you don't ever want to give CB Terrakion a free turn to do whatever it wants. It basically means you're going to lose on of your Pokemon if you predict wrong and lose a ton of momentum, which is very important in a fast paced game. It would also be a pretty tough position for stall teams to be in since they are forced to go to their Physical wall, who is most likely 2hko'd by one of Terrakion's moves, which may open up a sweep for another Pokemon on their team.

As for teammates, I'd say Tyranitar is one of the best teammates since Sandstorm gives Terrakion the Special Defense boost which never hurts. I mostly think of CB Terrakion as a wallbreaker, so i guess some good teammates would be things that are walled by Skarmory / Gliscor like Landorus or SD Virizon.

I'm going to mention SD Mach Punch Breloom. You don't want to let this thing have a free turn.

Because a free turn is a lose-lose situation if you're fighting against Breloom. If you switch and it SD's, Mach Punch can knock a huge dent in even the fastest scarfer, and if you switch and it Spores, then you have to switch again and it'll SD on the switch. And if you attack it, it will just Spore you, and it still has enough bulk to live a neutral hit to Spore afterwards.

The set I use is:

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Jolly
252Atk/252Spd/4HP

Swords Dance
Mach Punch
Seed Bomb
Spore

Moxie New Mixmence, especially against stall. It's doing well for me with Dragon Claw atm, but when outrage is out, get ready for pain. there aren't many mons that can switch into its attacks and not be KOed by a different one. From my experience, only p2 and Chansey can. If your opponent doesnt have any of those on their team, then barely anything can switch in on it and not be KOed at the end of the next turn, so it gets a kill and moxie does the rest. Priority and its bad speed tier are the bane of it, so it probably won't be sweeping, but stall will be mopped with this guy. That's why you shouldn't give any Salamence a spare turn, because DD is still good.

Double Dance Haxorus. It's mid game, I know your strategy, I come in, do appropriate boosting move, or even both, GG.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Usually if the Pokemon you're facing has several different sets it can abuse through various methods of attack, and it can be rather difficult to effectively deal with should you predict the wrong moveset.

Likewise I am waiting for Outrage, so it can truck through the likes of Mew/Slowbro; I do feel perhaps those Ice Shard users will be heavily relied on in due time and don't expect Hail teams to fall off the radar anytime soon.

As far as a free turn goes, I've always been keen on Focus Sash Smeargle. If you outspeed the opponent, you will gain the upperhand by nulifying one of their members but also the next turn, you're likely to Stealth Rock/Shell Smash/Quiver Dance for free. And as we know, Focus Sash is there to be broken in some situations where they don't have Tyranitar/Double Kick Terrakion; in theory, another turn for you to make your move.

Terrakion Double Dancer, especially when your opponent hasn't a Scizor. He also takes advantage from SS with +1 in SpD, so Tyranitar and Magnezone are good teammates.

How has there been no love for Volcarona so far? One Quiver Dance can spell the end to many teams.

Smeargle was mentioned in the OP, but I'll give him another shout-out since he pretty much needs that "extra" turn to do anything productive at all.

I have no arguments against any of the sweepers mentioned above, but a lot of things with Substitute get really dangerous when they get up a Substitute.

Gengar@Leftovers
Timid
~Shadow Ball
~Hidden Power Fire
~Focus Blast
~Substitute

If you can force a switch and get up a Substitute, chances are you can cripple their Gengar check as long as the counter's name isn't Chansey/Blissey. Substitute does a good job at taking a hit from Tyranitar and Scizor, who you can hit with the appropriate move.

Breloom@Toxic Orb
Adamant
~Spore
~Focus Punch
~Seed Bomb
~Substitute

Old school DPPt player here. Spore is a free turn on anything you outspeed, so you get your Substitute. From there, not much likes to take a STAB FP or Seed Bomb. The one thing that sucks is Reuniclus, but if you can keep that in check, it's usually a kill against the opponent + a sleeping Pokemon.

Both sets are really standard, but they are great at trading a free turn for results.

I've had a lot of fun with the concept of a Swift Swim Seismitoad that sets up its own rain in-game. However, I've never played RU, but something like this?

Seismitoad @ Leftovers, Swift Swim
Timid / Modest, max SpA EVs, rest distributed as needed (Speed tiers are a tricky thing)
~Rain Dance
~Surf / Hydro Pump
~Earth Power
~Sludge Wave

Sludge Wave isn't only flavorful due to the cane-toad inspiration, it's your main method of getting past Lilligant when it comes in as your rain starts. Surf is slashed over Hydro Pump because Seismitoad needs to ensure it hits, and with the boost from rain the power drop doesn't matter too much. Earth Power is not only secondary STAB, but also has a 10% SDef drop chance to leave something more vulnerable to your other moves if it dares to stay in.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Carracosta can make good use of a free turn through the combination of Sturdy and Shell Smash. Boost on the free turn and act accordingly. Sturdy gives you a buffer to Shell Smash again up to +4/+4/+4 if you please, or you may prefer to attack outright from +2/+2/+2 with the guarantee that the best the opponent can hope for is a 2HKO.

A similar principle could be applied to something like Focus Sash Cloyster but he's SS weak, needs his itemslot and doesn't have Aqua Jet so maybe not.

And for those who believe there's no such thing as a free turn in BW, don't forget about Trapper Gastrodon!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Carracosta can make good use of a free turn through the combination of Sturdy and Shell Smash. Boost on the free turn and act accordingly. Sturdy gives you a buffer to Shell Smash again up to +4/+4/+4 if you please, or you may prefer to attack outright from +2/+2/+2 with the guarantee that the best the opponent can hope for is a 2HKO.

A similar principle could be applied to something like Focus Sash Cloyster but he's SS weak, needs his itemslot and doesn't have Aqua Jet so maybe not.

And for those who believe there's no such thing as a free turn in BW, don't forget about Trapper Gastrodon!
Of 'course you are talking about Memento Gastrodon, but why is it a trapper?

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The on-site set name is Trapper...it uses Block to trap the opponent; pretty self explanatory.

I would say Cloyster there are a lot of good sweepers out there but hands down that Cloyster only needs one turn to shell smash and he is good to go. Also if you include a focus sash that gives him a guaranteed attack to survive Bullet punch scizor.

Also raindance Kingdra is frightening when you give it an free turn. One turn and it's speeding past everything in OU. Only weak to dragon and can KO any dragon with stealth rock damage.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'd say anything with either Trick Room, Quiver Dance or Shell Smash has the best chance to sweep with that one free turn. While the boosting moves are obvious, TR is more of something that cripples the opponent but benefits you.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I would say offensive swords dance scizor or swords dance lucario are much bigger threats on a single free turn, than anything listed in the OP. The fact is that most teams right now cannot expect to beat those pokemon late game if their rotom-w or terrakion (respectively) isn't at full health. Set-up opportunities are rampant, and early game you can wreck their counters by using close combat or bug bite and then switching out to sweep later.

On my current teams I use both scizor and lucario combined pokemon like Latias or Gengar that will lure tyranitars and scizors for me to set-up on.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree with Myzozoa - Lucario is especially dangerous late-game thanks to its insane killing power it packs with its +2 LO ExtremeSpeed; it's almost impossible to revenge kill after a Swords Dance (unless you still have your Scarf Terrakion or Gengar). Lucario pairs well with DD Haxorus / DD Dragonite, since it can set up on scarved Stone Edge / HP Ice / Draco Meteor that revenge-killed the Dragon Dancer and begin its own killing spree.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I personally love using Scrafty to abuse free turns! While many prefer to run Dragon Dance with Moxie on its offensive sets, I tend to run Shed Skin to prevent midgame statuses. If you have a free turn, not many Pokemon can come out of the gates and OHKO Scrafty thanks to its great bulk, so it can often set up for one or two turns. +2/+2 LO Scrafty with fantastic STAB Drain Punch and Crunch with Ice Punch/Fire Punch plus pseudo-immunity to status is a fearful prospect midgame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)