How do you play Pokemon in-game?

I was inspired by a thread I saw earlier today, but while the other thread was phrased in a Simple-Question-Simple-Answer kind of way, I intend for this topic to be more open-ended. Basically, I'm curious how you play through the Pokemon adventure on your cartridge. Do you rush through the game with your starter to unlock everything as quickly as possible? Do you take your time and build a well-balanced team along the way? Do you trade over some Pokemon before the first gym and go through the game with those traded Pokemon? Or do you do something else completely? With the imminent release of HGSS for most of us, I hope this thread can inspire us to play the games in fun and refreshing ways.

I'll go first. Typically, before the release of a new game (or when I replay an old one) I like to breed a balanced team of six Pokemon with great IVs, natures, and egg moves (no TMs though if I can help it). In Microsoft Word I'll plan out final move-sets and EV spreads for my Pokemon. I try to fit Surf and Fly onto my team somewhere for convenience, but as for the other HMs I'll just box one of my team members and take out an HM slave whenever I need one. I find playing with 6 Pokemon (as opposed to say 2 Pokemon and 2 HM slaves in your party, or even 5 Pokemon and 1 HM slave) a LOT more fun, as it makes the game much more reminiscent of competitive battling. Also keep this in mind: apart from Surf and Fly, most of the HMs are only needed for the adventure part of the game (and not later on once you've beaten the main game). So you can easily get away with teaching your regular team members moves like Cut and Rock Smash (especially early on when they don't have a competitive move-set anyway) until they learn their final move at level 50-whatever. My point is you don't even need an HM slave while going through the main game if you have 6 Pokemon.

I like to wait and hatch my Pokemon in the new game (so I'll trade the eggs over from my old game), as I don't like playing with traded Pokemon (I know they are technically mine, this is just me being anal. The boosted exp. feels a little like cheating to me). Then I'll go through the game with my awesome team and have a blast. Along the way I'll teach my Pokemon the moves I've outlined on my word document when they become available. Once I'm done with the main game, I'll use the EV reducing berries and I'll EV train my Pokemon to them into competitive Pokemon.

So basically this is a fun way for me to level up and play with my competitve Pokemon. I really don't understand people who just hammer through the game with their starters, they're missing out on so much. I've developed an affinity for my Platinum team that outstrips anything I feel for my LeafGreen team (which I went through with just two Pokemon). Of course, I can imagine many of you may find my process way too tedious. I'm interested to hear how the rest of you play though!

If this thread doesn't belong here a mod can move or lock it; I've re-read all the rules and I don't see anything wrong with it, as it's meant to be a discussion on how you play through the in-game mode.

On replays, I almost always go with monotype challenge or something like that. That what I did in my Platinum, going all steel (I kept getting murdered by cynthia's Garchomp, because my bronzong was heatproof). I dont like to play the in-game competitively because the reason I'm playing this, not on Shoddy, is to actually feel like I'm in an adventure. I dont choose my team before hand, though I could easily, because an actual trainer wouldnt choose a team earlier, he would live by the moment, saying, "hey, Machops are cool, lets catch one of those!"

My team consists of my starter, two good pokemon I catch in the begining, one pokemon that learns alot of HMs, but is still high leveled, and two pokemon I catch later in the game, because I neglected to train the pokemon I had said I would from the start. I like the concept of running into something rare, and catching it. Unless its nature absolutely sucks, I'm keeping it. Obviously I'm not going to run around with an adamant magneton, but If i get a hardy one, I'm not going to catch it over and over again til I get a timid or modest one. I play the game for the spirit of the game, not to make a competitive team while your playing. That is reserved strictly for after the main plot.

It depends. You can just rape FRLG by choosing a Squirtle and biting your way through the game. You can get a Masterball in like four hours if you're quick enough and Pal Park it in to the current gen and later Soft Reset for a Legendary.

That's for replays though, when Gen V comes out, I'm probably gonna use all the new Pokemon and what not, develop a team as I'm playing the game, not one I OCD'd previously, to get a feel for the new game and the new mons. And I probably wont just flat out rape it either with the starter and an HM whore. But if I buy both versions of the game (or hold off for the remake they always make) it will get starter raped, and the Elite Four will succumb to the wrath of the number of Lv 100's I've accumulated throughout the years.

I never plan my team when I'm playing a main game for the first time. I just SR for a starter with a good nature, and then I go through the game, catching all Pokémon on the way, using only the Pokes with good natures.
It's actually a very fun way of using Pokémon you never used before. For example, when playing through my Pearl, I had some interesting Pokes like Adamant Seaking, Timid Lumineon, Timid Mothim with Hidden Power Fighting, and other NU Pokes like those.

But when I'm replaying a game, I just use every Poke there is. Which obviously means, hours of grinding different Pokémon. It seems boring and such, but I like it, since again, I'll be using a lot of Pokémon that I normally would never use. And when I'm having event battles, like against Gym Leaders and Elite Four, I pick the same amount of Pokémon as the foe, mostly mirrored, like Fearow against Pidgeot, Furret against Raticate, etc.

Sometimes I choose to go mono too, but really, there are so many fun ways in playing through the games, it's not even funny!

Firstly I never speedrun. To me it defeats the point of playing an RPG.

I have taken to planning teams in advance lately, but not always. I get annoyed with myself for spending too much time planning and not enough time playing!

I've done a few themed runs. Mono-Bug and Mono-Ghost in Red, and I did an Ash team run in Emerald (Sceptile, Swellow, Torkoal, Crawdaunt, Pikachu, and Glalie). EDIT: Reminded by the below that on that playthrough, besides Pikachhu and Sceptile I caught my (other four) team members in Premier Balls. Just for the hell of it. Currently doing a LeafGreen run based around the idea of 'The Forgotten' - the NU of ingame as it were. Besides my starter Venusaur (which I decided not to ditch) I'm using Golbat and Mr Mime so far.

In Platinum, I tried to keep my team 'dynamic'. Any time I caught I Pokemon, I'd consider whether I'd prefer it to what I already had. No member of my team (except my started) was ever set in stone. The example that springs to mind was replacing Machoke with Medicham - and then Medicham itself later got replaced with catcher Gallade. (Don't criticise which is actually better, it's not relevant.)

Sometimes I'll reset or catch multiple Pokemon for natures, but I never bother about IVs ingame. The most effort I put into a single Pokemon for an ingame run was the Pikachu in Emerald - caught about 16 to get a Light Ball, then checked all their Hidden Powers and found I had one with Water 60 and a Nature that didn't decrease SpA or Speed, not bad.

Firstly I never speedrun. To me it defeats the point of playing an RPG.
Amen.

I always just play through making sure to do the following:
-Examine every house
-Talk to every person
-Catch as many Pokemon as possible
-Raise a full team of Pokemon (screw that 1-3 bullshit. I play like a fucking man!)
-Don't give a shit about natures

That's how I played as a kid, and as they say, "Kids do the damned best things".

Well, it depends. I played Diamond seriously. I completely rushed Platinum...

Planning on catching many different species of pokemon in SS. Just for fun.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Amen.

I always just play through making sure to do the following:
-Examine every house
-Talk to every person
-Catch as many Pokemon as possible
-Raise a full team of Pokemon (screw that 1-3 bullshit. I play like a fucking man!)
-Don't give a shit about natures

That's how I played as a kid, and as they say, "Kids do the damned best things".
I AGREE ^
and after I'm done beating the elite 4 I go on and i EV train and stuff..
so thats how I roll!
btw Stylish Interval.. I LOVE YOUR SIG.
FOOTBALL FTW!

Thanks! :)

I forgot to mention I EV train and take on the Battle Frontier / Battle Tower (whatever is in that game. It's always fun to play it and try and get the gold symbols before any of my (3) brothers do whenever we play through together.

Before I started reading up about competitive pokemon (early 08) I would just semi-speedrun through the game with my starter. Catching any pokemon I came across and visiting most houses.

Now though I'll typically go around with a team of six pokemon all with roughly equal levels, although I don't bother with IV breeding and EV training until I have beaten the Elite 4.

Ah yes, I usually make a team consisting of several types, then use their STAB moves with a couple extras thrown in [usually giving my water type Ice Beam].

Also, I do not try to mess with IV's or EV's until I make competitive Pokemon Teams.

For instance, my platinum team consisted of Gallade, Torterra, and a couple others.

I actually don't plan anything. No moveset, no Pokémon, no planning at all. I just go on my journey, capturing whatever I feel like should be captured and teaching them whatever they learn or the TMs I get.

The quirk is, I like to create a backstory and roleplay as my character during the game. By that I mean "dramatizing" the events of the story and the character's actions, the Pokémon behavior and all of that by diaring the events in a notepad or something. I think this is how you make the game more fun- by giving it more of a story. It's especially fun to create your Pokémon's personalities based on their nature, gender and characteristic and try to incorporate the moves they learn to that, too.

I actually don't plan anything. No moveset, no Pokémon, no planning at all. I just go on my journey, capturing whatever I feel like should be captured and teaching them whatever they learn or the TMs I get.

The quirk is, I like to create a backstory and roleplay as my character during the game. By that I mean "dramatizing" the events of the story and the character's actions, the Pokémon behavior and all of that by diaring the events in a notepad or something. I think this is how you make the game more fun- by giving it more of a story. It's especially fun to create your Pokémon's personalities based on their nature, gender and characteristic and try to incorporate the moves they learn to that, too.
I really like how you make it your own experience :) - the tm characteristic thing is a good idea in which I'll try once HG/SS gets released

When I get a new game,

- I start off and SR for a good nature for the starter
- I don't speed run, and just take my time in exploring and raising my team
- No trades untill I have beaten the elite 4, making use of resources
ingame and pokemon makes the completing it more rewarding
- Try as much as possible not to use any guides to keep the game challenging

Basicially I just like to experience a game rather than rushing through

Wow, I'm really happy about the response this thread is getting. I guess I need to learn to be a bit more spontaneous :)

A few things to add about how I play: for a new gen. game I won't plan anything and I will go through the game adding Pokemon to my team as I please.

My planning thing is essentially doing what the rest of you do in reverse: i.e. instead of beating Platinum and then breeding for competitive Pokemon, I'll breed for them in Diamond and then play with them in Platinum. I really think it's worth playing the game with the Pokemon you've spent a long time breeding, rather than just leveling them up. Where the planning gets a little obsessive is that sometimes I'll plan a team specifically for the new game and breed accordingly, rather than picking a team based on a few competitive Pokemon I've already breed but have not yet leveled up.

Also I have a kind of taboo against using legendaries in-game, but I'm trying to wash myself of it as I really want to use Giratina and Jirachi for my SS playthrough. Also I *really* can't bring myself to use Pokemon like seaking or spinda, basically Pokemon with no competitive value. Though I have no problem using UU Pokemon which do something OU Pokemon can't. Wow I sound like a really evil trainer :p

I once tried to have a grass montype in my Emerald. I never actually did it because I was too obsessed over getting the right nature and right ability (the only Modest Lotad I found was Swift Swim, not Rain Dish like I wanted, although I was able to SR for a Modest Treecko). Since that, I never focus on nature, EVs, or IVs, I only focus on a movepool that fits their base stats. I did get lucky in my Platinum, because the first Starly I caught was Jolly. But I don't play competitively in-game. I give them a viable movepool, but don't focus on their stats. I usually use at least one HM slave.

I usually plan out my team first, so I know what to do through the game. When I actually play it, I try to keep all of my Pokemon around on the same level, with the starter slightly higher. I do not care about IV's, EV's, Natures, or abilities because they distract from the fun of the game (I mean, it IS in-game after all, you aren't supposed to care about that). But when I train competitive Pokemon, I do care about those (who wouldn't?)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I plan out my team, but plan on picking up members along the way. On another game, I will prepare the various members to be ready at their entry point-- that entry point being the point where I could get said pokemon at said level in-game itself. For instance, trading myself a level 30 red Gyarados after catching Red Gyarados. Now you may ask why trade a pokemon over if I just caught it?

Answer is simple-- I really can't find any fun training/playing with pokemon I know have crap EVs/IVs/Natures/etc. If I can't use the pokemon forever, it's a waste of time, energy and space to me. I mean, the goal of the game is to become the ultimate trainer! How can I believe I'm really going to that goal when I've got a team that, in my head, I know is crap with no potential to ever become part of a competitive team?

So all the pokes I use in-game are traded over, IV bred, with the proper EV spreads-- carrying their battle item (LO, scarf, lefties, whatever) and TM'd to get as close to their final move set as possible. The main reason being is that my in game carts will probably remain untouched by R4, and I'd rather not go through the tedious effort of getting the proper items, TMs and PP Maxes (or trading pokemon back and forth AGAIN) later on.

Basically, the team of pokes will be ready to hit the Wifi battles as soon as the adventure is over. :P

Usually I'll only use pokemon catchable within the region and get them at the proper time, example:

Chimchar
Level 5
Rash
30 / 31 / 26 / 31 / 31 / 31
@ Life Orb
24 ATK 252 sp.ATK 232 Speed
-Overheat
-Grass Knot
-Thunder Punch
-Hidden Power

is what I started my platinum with. But I've tried all sorts of non-standard stuff on other play throughs. Once I tried out Scarf Gabite as a starter. :P

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
For D/P, It took me ~40 hours just to complete the main game. I started with Turtwig, and thanks to the GTS, I ended up with the other two, fully evolved.

For the E4, I had a Torterra, Staraptor, Gengar, Luxray, Garchomp, and Lucario.

D/P was the first series I spent a lot of time training and acquiring Pokemon. Mostly in part due to the inclusion of Wifi. In the past, I generally only had 3 Pokemon in my team to complete the story with. I also spent a lot of time on Serebii looking at what Pokemon I can catch and what learns what move at what level.

Good times.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
First time playing a pokemon RPG: Go with the flow. Catch whatever catches my interest, check their move pools and level up moves, and whichever is the strongest, they're included on my team. Always includes a fire, water, and electric type for balance.

Afterwards, I'll go crazy. As in, I'll transfer random pokemon to try out. Ever had a team of weezing, flygon, milotic, tauros, fearow, and magmar on one run? (It was kinda hard getting past Steven, but I managed) I pick random pokemon, doesn't have to be the strongest, but has to be interesting. Milotic was especially interesting because i actually had to give a damn about beauty and all that. If I'm playing a ROM on a computer, I'll hack random pokemon (I never put them in real cartridges though), and play with them, messing with TMs, movepools and the like. I also like to play alot of Pokemon ROM hacks that challenge you. It's more fun that way.

When a fresh game comes out, I usually do no prior planning to what sort of team I will use. I would usually have already chosen a starter to use, and then add a flier and a surfer... from there the rest could be anything. When doing subsequent playthroughs, I try and use pokemon I've not trained before. I also did a no-evolution play through on Diamond which was probably the most challenging ingame experience I've had. My team was Chimchar, Remoraid, Onix, Starly and Chingling (lol) for anyone interested... basically Chimchar and Remoraid were my "powerhouses", and the rest were just type fillers for when I needed to heal those two :D

Saying all that, I went to the Shaymin Event in London which coinsided with the release of Platinum with a couple of friends from another site. We all decided to have different starters, and each bred 4 mystery pokemon, to trade to each other as eggs. That was quite fun as I had no idea what my team was to be until they all hatched! I ended up with Torterra, Drifloon, Yanma, Houndour, Chinchou and Tropius, which made for an extremely enjoyable and different playthrough!

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
catch the 'bird poke' in the beginning always, try to get the baby pseudo-legend asap and basically just play the game with a core of 4 good pokes that i alternate from, no breeding, contests or any of that nonsense

When a fresh game comes out, I usually do no prior planning to what sort of team I will use. I would usually have already chosen a starter to use, and then add a flier and a surfer... from there the rest could be anything. When doing subsequent playthroughs, I try and use pokemon I've not trained before.
I play a lot like this ^

I take the time to build a fairly balanced team, usually picking only Pokemon that appeal to me for their style and badassery. When I played through Heart Gold, I made a point of only selecting Pokemon from the Johto region. I actually planned most of that team, but when I first got Pearl, I just took what I could find along the way.

I pay a little attention to natures (I'll SR for a totally useless nature, but I took Naive for my Cyndaquil, for example) but don't go out of my way to EV train or anything like that. As for pace, I don't do every little side quest, but I also don't rush through.

First I set my battle mode to set instead of shift (makes it more fun, when you have a slightly larger challenge where you can't just switch when the ai puts in a new poke.)

I usually raise 6 Pokemon equally and have no HM slaves among them (for example my last playthrough of emerald had every pokemon level 45 when I beat the elite four)

I choose pokemon that I have not used before, even if it means having to trade to get them (used spirittomb, infernape, and emploeon hatched from eggs last platinum playthrough.)

On second playthroughs however, I usually throw in a lucky egg or 6.

Lastly I do not catch any legendaries to actually use against the elite four, I liked taking my time to rng for them and catch them in color coded pokeballs, dive ball regice, luxury ball darkra etci.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)