Ice Breath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gen V introduced 2 100% crit. moves: Mountain Storm and Ice Breath

Mountain Storm is a Physical Move and Fighting Type
Ice Breath is a Special Move and Ice Type
Both have 40 BP, 10 PP (16 max I think). Sadly, Ice Breath has 90 Acc while Mountain Storm has 100 Acc.
and 100 percent crit...

The fact it is 100 percent crit means you can basically treat it as 80 BP. It ignores Cosmic Power, Calm Minds, Reflects... etc. Also, from what little I know about damage calcs, Crits are calculated at the very end. STAB is factored first so for Fighting and Ice pokemon, its not 40*2 but 60*2 i think. (correct me if i'm wrong, which I think i might be). wow...

There's also the ability Sniper, which turns Crits into 3x instead of the normal 2. Nothing now learns has both Sniper and one of these two moves but breeding is largely unexplored in Gen V. If one of these moves end up on a sniper pokemon (an effectively 120 BP move with high acc. which goes through opponent Stat boosts and walls...).......

The only possible learner with the sniper ability I can see is Octillery, with Ice breath and some speed support it could wreak some havoc.

Kingdra is also a water type. I'm not a breeder but I think there's the possibility (s)he gets it.
But Kingdra already has Dragon STAB, so it really doesn't need an Ice move that will inevitably be weaker, even with the 3x boost. Draco Meteor + STAB: 210 BP; Ice Breath + Sniper: 120 BP.

Octillery I think prefers Suction Cups to avoid being phazed, but maybe you could make it work in UU or NU.

At a glance, Mountain Storm would be useful for Curse Snorlax/Tyranitar/Gigiaiasu. Only problem would be unintentional activation of Anger Point, but the only Gen V mon to get it is Warubiaru, who happens to be weak to both Fighting and Ice.

There are no Sniper pokemon that get either Mountain Storm or Ice Breath. The former is exclusive to Nageki, while the latter, as a TM only move, is teachable to a few selected pokes:

Dewgong, Cloyster, Lapras, Articuno, Mew, Delibird, Regice, Glaceon, Furiijio and the Jynx, Snorunt, Walrein, Abomasnow, Ice Cream Cone and Polar Bear families.

Best use of this would be in Doubles or Triples.

Stick in Primeape or Warubiaru and it's instant Belly Drum, and providing the Crit user is faster the Anger Point pokemon can start attacking at full power immediately. Even better if the Crit user can use Psych Up. Stick a SE-Reduction berry on the Anger Point pokemon, make sure the CRIT user doesn't have stab, has 0 SpAtt IVs and reducing nature, and you're good to go.

Stick in Primeape or Warubiaru and it's instant Belly Drum, and providing the Crit user is faster the Anger Point pokemon can start attacking at full power immediately. Even better if the Crit user can use Psych Up. Stick a SE-Reduction berry on the Anger Point pokemon, make sure the CRIT user doesn't have stab, has 0 SpAtt IVs and reducing nature, and you're good to go.
Mwahahaha! Excellent strategy!

I think Furiijio has the lowest SpAtk of any of those Pokemon while still having high speed so it could use it on and Anger Point Pokemon in a Double/Triple Battle. It basically dies to any physical attack, though, which is a problem.

Edit: If there were an Anger Point Pokemon that resisted Fighting, I could see Dageki being good to pull this off in a Double/Triple Battle but I think its Atk is too high to have any of them survive it. Alternatively, you could use Substitute but that means you've done nothing to your opponent. Dageki's Inner Focus would also be useful to stop Fake Out.

One problem with that: attacking your own pokemon in doubles isn't a very good strategy. And since this strategy will be pretty obvious, Primeape/Tauros will get obliterated by the opponent before it can do anything.

Too bad that Warubiaru is weak to both of them. So is Afro Bison for that matter. Maybe use a different Pokemon for the anger point?

Primeape has a good shot, but he's pretty fast.

Do any Pokemon with Sniper get Assemble Crew? It makes the target's ability the same as the user, which could give one of these Pokemon Sniper and give effectively give them a 120 Base Power move. It's still pretty gimmicky (especially on Dageki since he gets Close Combat).

Considering we have the egg move data for every pokemon, and Mountain Storm isn't on any of them, that's not true. It's exclusive to Nageki for the moment.

While it may be usefull for beating pokemon who defense boost, you have to consider it will never get a "crit" so to speak, so is sacrificing 15 base power and crit chance for the chance to beat defensive boosting worth it for ice types? Really, defensive boost's aren't all that common.

While it may be usefull for beating pokemon who defense boost, you have to consider it will never get a "crit" so to speak, so is sacrificing 15 base power and crit chance for the chance to beat defensive boosting worth it for ice types? Really, defensive boost's aren't all that common.
You're saying Calm Mind wasn't common?

Sniper + Ice Breath only goes to 120 but you can think of it as a defense-cutting, more accurate, more PP Blizzard...but I suppose it doesn't matter anyway because no Pokemon with sniper get it at the moment. Disappointing--I was looking forward to making some sort of Octillery set abusing this.

Let's cross our fingers for a future move tutor, maybe?

And as far as Calm Mind...the thing that instantly comes to mind is Suicune, who resists Ice anyway, and when you get to the point where Ice Beam would do less damage you've probably already lost the match. But there are still things like Cosmic Power Clefable and Amnesia Cradily to consider, I suppose.

To be honest, Mountain Storm seems inferior to Overhead Throw in singles. OT can phase better, and this thing is slow anyway. The 90% accuracy is the slightest bit of a drag, but hey. Ice Breath seems pretty situational to me, but could fit in with some careful planning.

It can be a good way to beat last poke stat uppers I suppose.Might be valuable to stall somewhat because of that.Also i suppose can be good abuse with Sniper.Maybe gimmicky Doubles combinations with using it on your anger point ally just for the lulz?
Seems pretty kool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)