Iron Chef: Smogon UU Edition - Teambuilding Competition, R10 - Cantata! (See p#595)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I guess the teams would be stall-oriented this round. I'll try breaking boundaries and start being crazy again! XD

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to assume pre-Victini and post-Victini teams will be judged separately, and if so, could you mention which are pre- and post-Victini in your reveal post Hogg ? It makes judging a bit easier imo, I had to go back and see which were pre- / post- tier shifts last round. Although I might not be judging this round.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to assume pre-Victini and post-Victini teams will be judged separately, and if so, could you mention which are pre- and post-Victini in your reveal post Hogg ? It makes judging a bit easier imo, I had to go back and see which were pre- / post- tier shifts last round. Although I might not be judging this round.
I already assked Hogg about this, and if i understand his answer correctly Victini will not be allowed at all unless it gets unbanned before the round is over, which is of course not going to happen.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sorry for not updating the replays for this round yet - work has been on the crazy side. I should have it all up to date this evening.

There are a lot of fun teams in my inbox - this should be a great round!

Regarding Victini, as long as the standard UU ladder remains up during the suspect test, let's keep things simple for our chefs and our judges and stay on that.

Im not involved in this but I really dont see the point or fairness in the judges/ champ chefs being able to use what ever team they want. Ive seen multiple times ppl using shed shell mons bc the challenge is using trapping mons and just general cting based on the theme. If ur trying to actually call this Iron Chef do like the show and make the champ do the same thing the challenger does, imo. This is a very cool idea but I think that this issue is the weak point in it.

Im not involved in this but I really dont see the point or fairness in the judges/ champ chefs being able to use what ever team they want. Ive seen multiple times ppl using shed shell mons bc the challenge is using trapping mons and just general cting based on the theme. If ur trying to actually call this Iron Chef do like the show and make the champ do the same thing the challenger does, imo. This is a very cool idea but I think that this issue is the weak point in it.
I brought this up early in the challenge and the response was that the idea was to see if a player could make a team that would be good on the ladder, hence playing some of UU's better players when they are not under the same restriction. I can agree with that, but I also agree with you saying that at this point they're just counterteaming and that part is really shitty. It would be different if trapping was more common and so Shed Shell was more regularlyever seen, but it's not so that definitely takes away a lot of the meaning of the challenge.

Reactions: nv

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Regarding Victini, as long as the standard UU ladder remains up during the suspect test, let's keep things simple for our chefs and our judges and stay on that.
OK, so it looks like there is only the suspect ladder, rather than a standard ladder and suspect ladder. Hairy Toenail, st123, YABO and Christo The Gr8 - please default to non-Victini teams for remaining Iron Chef battles this round, unless the contestant specifically requests to play in the Victini meta.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Just a reminder to all chefs that cooking time ends today at 11:59 PM GMT! Get those teams sent and those last few battles in!

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Missplays and matchup cost me the match against Iron Chef Hairy, anyhow gg, I wish I didn't have to play at 3:45 a.m. just to be able to find a suitable time to face an Iron Chef though, doesn't matter anyways.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
It's time for the reveal!

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Drill Run
- Protect

Lapras works as a perishtrapper. drill run is there for any rock/electric types that want to switch in (probs doesnt do much anyway, but might as well hit it. also originality!)

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Mandibuzz is there to soak up grass type attacks and be bulky. it is my first physical wall of the team.

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Memento

I still needed to fit the requirement, and i looked weak to electric/rock, so i added in dugtrio. also flying + ground is perfect coverage. doesn't really have many coverage options, so i put in memento as a last-moment thing if i needed it.

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

My second physical wall. It's there to set up rocks, phaze mons out, bulk hits.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Frustration

Slurpuff is a threat in this meta. Since bulky steel types can get perish-trapped by lapras, i decided all it really needs rid of are stuff that can stop it from setting up and poison types.

Espeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

A sweeper. this would no-doubt be a zam if it didnt move up to ou. stuff is for max damage output, and hpfire is there to hit any steels left in the way of slurpuff's sweep. also i dont have any grass moves so grass knot is there to hit pert/any other water/ground types.

i also made this team in like 5 minutes.

Iron Chef Replays:

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Fire Spin
- Morning Sun
- Protect

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Infestation
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Mean Look
- Perish Song
- Substitute
- Roost

So, this team is built around trapping and forcing switches with hazards on the ground. Arcanine is actually one of the better trappers with access to Intimidate, Morning Sun and Fire Spin/Toxic for passive damage. You will see that it was doing good work against Granbull in the replay, but it was RestTalk, so yeah. Cofagrigus is my trapper via Infestation/WoW with "recovery" in Pain Split. The idea here is to take away the coveted ability (i.e. natural cure, Moxie, Guts) and inflict as much pain as possible while hitting the opponent with Shadow Ball. Murkrow is somethign I've tried playing around with in the past with Prankster Mean Look/Perish Song. Add in hazards and it can either trap the opponent for an easy KO while preventing status with Substitute, or force the opponent out. Forry/Blissey are my hazard layers/control and cleric. LO Hydre is the glue for the team. Ghost types can't be trapped, so LO Taunt Hydre is here to beat them 1v1.

I couldn't get hazards up in the replay, which would've assisted in forcing the main switches, especially between Infernape and Empleon, which were the biggest obstacles for my team.

Iron Chef Replays:

Kizan (Banette) (M) @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 208 HP / 48 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Infestation
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Mizuho (Arcanine) (M) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed

Enishi (Whimsicott) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Shinai (Empoleon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Roar

Shi En (Umbreon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 216 HP / 40 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Curse
- Moonlight
- Baton Pass
- Mean Look

Kageki (Hitmonlee) (M) @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Mach Punch
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Mega Banette and Umbreon are the focal points for this round's Iron Chef team through the help of Infestation and Mean Look, respectively. Mega Banette is there to trap with Infestation to ensure Destiny Bond would connect against its victim, with Taunt to boot. Umbreon, on the other hand, traps a victim with Mean Look, sets up Curse whenever necessary (and use Moonlight to shed off any damage taken), and since Umbreon will become slower thanks to the Curse drops, he will pass all those boosts to Hitmonlee, which then activates White Herb and Unburden, reaching 576 Speed with Adamant Nature (power is needed). (That is, Umbreon would be semi-dead weight; he could pass some boosts to Entei as well, but its speed would be a letback though it has Extreme Speed to patch up its Speed drop, and Umbreon can be used as death fodder afterward.)

Burn-heavy Pokes, yes? With Mega Banette's and Arcanine's Will-O-Wisp and Empoleon's Scald, these burns may help Umbreon in setting up more Curses, giving an opportunity for Hitmonlee to sweep with ease, though the team has to remove the bulkiest of walls that would ruin Hitmonlee's glorious sweep (such as Cresselia).

Edited three Pokemon (from Entei + Rotom-C + Tentacruel to Arcanine + Whimsicott + Empoleon) for a more defensive and synergistic approach to the team, and finally I have a Stealth Rock user and hazard controller in Empoleon, alongside Arcanine being one of the defensive stalwarts to sponge Fire Spam and Whimsicott disrupting set-ups, most especially Feraligatr.

[note: it's themed after Yu-Gi-Oh's Legendary Six Samurai characters, and it is somehow a tribute to some Japanese player in PO making the same Umbreon + Hitmonlee core that peaked so high (not sure if it's #1 at that time, though) in the BW UU ladder.]

Iron Chef Replays:

Entei @ Power Herb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Spin
- Sacred Fire
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch

Crobat @ Sky Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- U-Turn
- Encore

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

Alright so this does look p stupid from first look (NV can vouch for that) but its a pretty fun team, that definitely utilizes the flavor of the challenge. First off is power herb entei a la typloshion, originally it was charcoal but figured why not be less weak to suicune and swampert, fire spin traps them, preventing any kind of doubles, and just keeps momentum considering my team has overall, not a lot of bulk, meaning it needs to take as little hits as possible. Then it proceeds to nuke either of them for decent damage, either forcing a rest in suicune's case or KOing swampert. Sacred Fire is so I can at least bluff normal sets as long as they don't pay close attention and burns are always good. Fire blast for normal power once gig is up. Dugtrio as my second use of trapping, ensures steels are weakened/ go down for whims alongside the volturn with crobat, amp, and provides SR. On the note of amps, its agility Vswitch for a reason, similar to the SD u-turn scizor, it bluffs 4 attacks so it can clean up late game once the trapping works, grass and steels are dealt with decently by the two trappers. Crobat is for the eq immunity and adds another form of momentum, as well as the fact sky plate nukes fairies and anything that doesn't resist. Whimsicott is there as another fast offensive mon, adds to volturn and deals with fighters/waters extremely well. Gatr is the secondary sweeper, albeit less reliant on the trapping abilities it can wallbreak for amp later.

Iron Chef Replays:

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Whirlpool
- Curse
- Body Slam

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Mean Look
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Curse

Salamence @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Refresh
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Rest
- Scald
- Sleep Talk

Cobalion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

This team started with the idea of using Curse+MeanLook Dusclops, which looked cool, sponging every hit you can throw at it while slowly eating the opposing team's soul. Since I needed another trapper and something that could come in on Ghosts, Snorlax was the next choice. Nice and unexpected Whirlpool. This fatty has travelled all the way from Pokemon Silver to help me with this team, trapping walls and setting up on them. But so far I had to leave aside Sleep Talk on both of my initial mons to fulfill this week's theme, so, since I was pretty weak to Dark and Dragon type moves, Florges came to mind to be the so needed cleric, and what's a better way of doing this job than running both Aromatherapy and Heal Bell? (kill me please, I always mess up these Iron Chef teams :[ ) Since then, the team obviously took a stallish route, so defensive Mega Toise was added to take on Entei and spin away legos while Bulky Ddance Mence + SD Cobalion were the glue mons and win conditions to not just sit there all day taking hits until the Armaggedon or Victini's suspect (I think the first one will be sooner)

Iron Chef Replays:

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Mean Look
- Curse
- Moonlight

Crobat @ White Herb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Cross Poison
- Taunt

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Tri Attack

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Happiness: 0
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Frustration

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch

This is for IT'S A TRAP theme.

I was thinking about the fairly standald/terrible options in uu for trapping since goth is banned and I needed to use more than dugtrio and I remembered this super memey set that I think Slate (this was a good name change keep it) or Volbeatdown was using ages ago in mean look curse bp umbreon to white herb crobat. After that I had to include either dugtrio or magneton and magneton just dropped to NU so it must be bad. No for real, I just really hate non-analytic magneton after using zone for ages in the beta. Alright theme use ticked off now to throw in a couple more abusers of duggy's trapping. Double Dance P-Z likes steal types weakened and can use Dugtrio mementos to set up easier, plus it's a cool mon I haven't used in a while. Next up is slurpuff because poisons being trapped and steels being trapped make this little cupcake basically on every iron chef team this round and if it's not your team will be worse. Then I realised I didn't have rocks and was pretty aero weak, plus mega-pert makes a neat core with umbreon.

Game plan is to trap something with umbreon and pass to crobat after duggy removes the steel types then spam memes in chat until my opponent disconnects. Or I guess just wall break with crobat for a while until my opponent revenges it then either pass again into swampert or clean up with p-z and slurpuff.

Iron Chef Replays:

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Roost

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Salamence @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Refresh
- Roost

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

OK so basically this is hyper offense with lures and trappers to ensure both of my setup sweepers successfully sweep. I initially wanted to build around the dual trapping core of Magneton and Dugtrio. They both deal damage to various Steel-types, making Slurpuff an amazing partner to both of them. I decided to go for Hidden Power Grass and Sludge Wave Life Orb Dugtrio. Hidden Power Grass 3HKOes Swampert that attempt to take advantage of Dugtrio, ensuring a Pokemon that is quite the nuisance for my team is severely weakened. Sludge Wave, on the other hand, allows me to OHKO offensive Whimsicott and severely damage defensive variants. The removal of Whimsicott allows my setup sweepers to setup freely without worrying about being locked into the setup move via Encore. Slurpuff has very few stops, all of the defensive ones have to be healthy, those include Mega Aggron, Forretress, Arcanine, and Doublade. All of those bar Doublade are beaten by the trapping core. Doublade, on the other hand, is lured in by Aerodactyl and is 2HKOed by Fire Blast. Other Steel-types are also hit for significant damage by Fire Blast, these include Forretress, Mega Aggron and Cobalion. Now, the Salamence. Its set is shamelessly taken from the chairman himself. Since it's Mono Attacking, it's stopped hard by Fairy-types, and can be walled by Steel-types. Magneton destroys most Fairy-types, whereas the Steel-types are removed by the trapping core. For the last slot, I needed a suicide lead that could not only setup entry hazards, but also prevent them from being setup. Azelf is the best suited for this role, as I couldn't use suicide lead Aerodactyl with Mega Aerodactyl already being on the team. Now, despite the team not having a Choice Scarf user, opposing Choice Scarf users are usually dealt with by the team members.

Iron Chef Replays:

This was a tough round, with only one of our competitors managing to best an Iron Chef. Still, there are seven delectable dishes for our judges to sample over the next week. Who will emerge victorious? Will LilOuOn manage to carry the trophy home on the strength of his victory against Iron Chef Hairy Toenail (being only the second person to best that particular chef)? Or will another competitor surprise us all? Only time will tell!

Anyone who would like to judge has until Saturday, May 30 to do so. As always, the judges this round will get to pick next round's ingredients - so if you want a sneak peak at how next round will go, I encourage you to judge! Anyone who has not entered a dish this round is free to judge.

Allez cuisine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)