Is there anything (not related to Pokemon) that you are one of the best in the world at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's insane how much talent there is in this thread. Really impressed with many of the posts. "World-class" is kind of subjective, but here are some of the things I'm best at.

I used to play Guitar Hero and Rock Band (as a guitarist) competitively. I wasn't world-class as far as getting 100% on crazy songs (but I definitely wasn't horrible; I could get about 750k on Through the Fire and Flames, if that gives you an idea), but I was definitely one of the best at calculating where to use your Star Power to get the highest score. On Rock Band 3, there was a point when I had the world record on about 40 songs on Expert Guitar.

I play Mario Kart Wii competitively. As far as the competitive community goes, I'm good but not elite. I've always been in the top American clans, but like, if you take the roster of the top American/Euro clan, I'd be slightly above average. (The Japanese community in Mario Kart Wii is pretty isolated from the rest of the world. The Japanese are a little better than the rest of the world, but not by a huge amount.) Excluding the Japanese, I'm in the top 100 people that still actively play, maybe top 50.

As far as non-gaming (aka, relevant, unless you're making money from gaming professionally, then I am jealous) accomplishments, I'm good at sports but definitely not good enough to even compete at a national level. In my second year of university, I got a 4.0 in seven third and fourth year math classes in a row (which means being in the top couple percent of the class), and in three of those seven classes, I got the highest grade in the class. I don't compete in math tournaments and I'm definitely not a math genius, but that's all I've got really and I hope it counts for something lol.
Man i never understood the optimal strats for guitar. Drumming in rock band was so much more easier, despite squeezes being a pile of shit. I used to have a few #1's in rock band 2. Considering i was pretty bad back then and sometimes the kits were unresponsive, i probably couldve done better if i stuck to it

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Man i never understood the optimal strats for guitar. Drumming in rock band was so much more easier, despite squeezes being a pile of shit. I used to have a few #1's in rock band 2. Considering i was pretty bad back then and sometimes the kits were unresponsive, i probably couldve done better if i stuck to it
I totally understand, since in drumming you were forced to activate at certain spots, so there weren't many options, whereas on Guitar/Bass you could activate wherever, so there are tons of possibilities. How I ended up getting so good at it was first understanding the game's mechanics, like exactly how long Overdrive lasts, how much overdrive you gain from whammying a sustain, etc. Then, if a note chart of a song were available, I would import the note chart into Paint and draw out where I think good activation spots would be. If there were Youtube videos of the songs being played, I would use those to help me figure out where good activation spots were. Above all, I just got better at it by doing it so much and by patiently playing the song repeatedly, trying out different activation spots and storing all the data in my head until I found one that I couldn't figure out how to improve.

A lot of work and time wasted? Yeah. Being able to go to the leaderboards of many songs and seeing my name at the top? Totally worth it :D.

oh my god i cried my fucking eyes out when i got second place in the state spelling bee because i forgot the r in february
I got second place in my state spelling bee because I spaced out and spelled journalism "gournalism" :/
Aside from that, I'm really good at puzzle games. Tetris, Doctor Mario, Meteos (METEOS), or just Pokemon Puzzle League; I haven't lost a multiplayer puzzle game in 3 years, I think.

I qualified for an all-American honors band and got 1st chair in the regional one for French Horn, so I guess that's something. Nowhere near one of the best players in the world though.

I used to be a top tier player in Monsterpocalypse. Not sure how big of an acheivement that is, considering that was a dying game during its entire shelflife. Still, I placed 2nd in numerous tournaments while playing weird stuff no one used competitively, so yeah, I was certainly one of the best in the world of 50 active players. My brother was slightly better, but most of the time he only got farther than me due to either good luck or playing better monsters.

Aside from that, my biggest acheivements are probably my 4.0 GPA and actually managing to make it to a state science fair one year. Yeah, I won at schoolwide and regional, simply because our region's homeschool crop apparently didn't have any boards in the Math category. I made a board based on whether or not the holes drilled in dice, otherwise known as "pips", had any impact on the frequency that a die would roll higher numbers. Yeah, I didn't deserve to go to state, lol.

Div 1 world spm bf4
Div 1 world skill bf4
Div 1 world in attack jets, attack boats, ifvs, and tanks bf4
Div 1 world score bf4
Div 1 world assualt, engineer, and recon bf4
Div 1 world time played bf4
You could say i dont have a life

I'm one of those people that is slightly above average at everything, but not really exceptional at anything.

It's a bit tragic.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I am pretty good at Monkey Ball on the GameCube. I'm totally gonna put that on my resume.

In general, I like to think that I am really good at being mediocre.

Well, looks like I broke a record for shoulder flexibility in my school. The previous record was +10cm, I got +31cm.

I guess that's good? Everyone else was floored when I did it.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Well, looks like I broke a record for shoulder flexibility in my school. The previous record was +10cm, I got +31cm.

I guess that's good? Everyone else was floored when I did it.
That reminds me. I was the arm wrestling champion in 1st grade... until a 2nd grader was brought down a grade.

It's insane how much talent there is in this thread. Really impressed with many of the posts. "World-class" is kind of subjective, but here are some of the things I'm best at.

I used to play Guitar Hero and Rock Band (as a guitarist) competitively. I wasn't world-class as far as getting 100% on crazy songs (but I definitely wasn't horrible; I could get about 750k on Through the Fire and Flames, if that gives you an idea), but I was definitely one of the best at calculating where to use your Star Power to get the highest score. On Rock Band 3, there was a point when I had the world record on about 40 songs on Expert Guitar.

I play Mario Kart Wii competitively. As far as the competitive community goes, I'm good but not elite. I've always been in the top American clans, but like, if you take the roster of the top American/Euro clan, I'd be slightly above average. (The Japanese community in Mario Kart Wii is pretty isolated from the rest of the world. The Japanese are a little better than the rest of the world, but not by a huge amount.) Excluding the Japanese, I'm in the top 100 people that still actively play, maybe top 50.

As far as non-gaming (aka, relevant, unless you're making money from gaming professionally, then I am jealous) accomplishments, I'm good at sports but definitely not good enough to even compete at a national level. In my second year of university, I got a 4.0 in seven third and fourth year math classes in a row (which means being in the top couple percent of the class), and in three of those seven classes, I got the highest grade in the class. I don't compete in math tournaments and I'm definitely not a math genius, but that's all I've got really and I hope it counts for something lol.
750k on TTFAF is a pretty damn good score man. I almost broke 800k once, I was never very good at some of the solos during that song, namely What The. I never even got close to perfecting that part.

I had several world records on Guitar Hero 6 which was Warriors of Rock I think, but that was probably because a lot of the very best players had moved on from the series by then and I was able to capitalize :P I ranked 9th overall for GH6 in the world for a while but I'm probably not very highly ranked anymore since people tend to start perfecting their star power paths and beating the scores of people like me that just FC'd the majority of the game in the first week it came out

MattL

750k on TTFAF is a pretty damn good score man. I almost broke 800k once, I was never very good at some of the solos during that song, namely What The. I never even got close to perfecting that part.

I had several world records on Guitar Hero 6 which was Warriors of Rock I think, but that was probably because a lot of the very best players had moved on from the series by then and I was able to capitalize :P I ranked 9th overall for GH6 in the world for a while but I'm probably not very highly ranked anymore since people tend to start perfecting their star power paths and beating the scores of people like me that just FC'd the majority of the game in the first week it came out
Nice, sounds like you were good too. I was never even good at TTFAF; I moved on to Rock Band 2 from GH3 before I hit my peak. Dragonforce songs were never my thing, although I did FC the full solo of Operation Ground and Pound back in like 2009, which was really good for me back then.

The only notable thing I did on Warriors of Rock was get the record for highest score on guitar on any song Guitar Hero game, which was a Merciful Fate (Metallica, the 13 or something minute song) FC with the Star Power regeneration and Star Power increased multiplier powers activated. It was just shy of 15 million points, I think. But I could never do anything in that game because I wasn't that good at the slider purple notes.

Nice, sounds like you were good too. I was never even good at TTFAF; I moved on to Rock Band 2 from GH3 before I hit my peak. Dragonforce songs were never my thing, although I did FC the full solo of Operation Ground and Pound back in like 2009, which was really good for me back then.

The only notable thing I did on Warriors of Rock was get the record for highest score on guitar on any song Guitar Hero game, which was a Merciful Fate (Metallica, the 13 or something minute song) FC with the Star Power regeneration and Star Power increased multiplier powers activated. It was just shy of 15 million points, I think. But I could never do anything in that game because I wasn't that good at the slider purple notes.
Oh, how I remember Merciful Fate. It was a pretty fun song to play but it was SO LONG. I don't know if I ever FC'd it, mostly because it was just so long and whenever I messed up I didn't want to keep trying lol. A perfect run of that song is pretty amazing just because of the mental fortitude it takes to get through it all without slipping up.

I never FC'd any of the bad boys like One/Jordan/TTFAF, but I had an FC on basically every other GH song from 1-3 besides a couple of odd ones that I just sucked at like fucking My Curse by Killswitch Engage which I never got for some reason despite me having some amazing runs like the top score in the world on Nothing For Me Here for a couple of weeks. That song was intense.

Anyway, it's been a long time since I've played any of these games seriously, I'd probably be pretty mediocre but still able to 4-5 star any song on expert if they for instance came out with a Guitar Hero 7 or something.

Im the best at making people laugh and procrastinating.....I once got out of being suspended for making the school administrators laugh....

MattL

Oh, how I remember Merciful Fate. It was a pretty fun song to play but it was SO LONG. I don't know if I ever FC'd it, mostly because it was just so long and whenever I messed up I didn't want to keep trying lol. A perfect run of that song is pretty amazing just because of the mental fortitude it takes to get through it all without slipping up.

I never FC'd any of the bad boys like One/Jordan/TTFAF, but I had an FC on basically every other GH song from 1-3 besides a couple of odd ones that I just sucked at like fucking My Curse by Killswitch Engage which I never got for some reason despite me having some amazing runs like the top score in the world on Nothing For Me Here for a couple of weeks. That song was intense.

Anyway, it's been a long time since I've played any of these games seriously, I'd probably be pretty mediocre but still able to 4-5 star any song on expert if they for instance came out with a Guitar Hero 7 or something.
Yeah, I was pretty lucky the FC came so quickly. Solos late into the song making the song 93084398247x more difficult is common sense though, so I practiced the solo until I was sick of it to make sure I could FC it quickly. And I was the same way; I didn't have 67 FCs on GH3, but the only ones that were really out of reach for me were Raining Blood, One, and TTFAF. I lent my Xbox away and haven't played in over a year, so I'm probably pretty bad now too.

(First post :toast:)

At one point I was in grandmasters in SC2 hots, but that was several ladder seasons ago. Haven't been playing much this last year so with that + mmr decay I'd prob plateau off somewhere in the bottom half of masters. Though that may be a generous estimate.

Outside of video games I'd like to think that I'm a pretty accomplished chef and guitarist. One of the best in the world probably not, but good enough at both to make a decent living heh.

This isn't my achievment, but it's in the family. My grandpa is insain.

I'd say he has driven more in his life than any single other person. He's been a truck driver since he was 12 years old (he father let him drive the truck illegally on occation) and still to this day (60 years later) drives large trucks across the states and Canada. He retired from freight at 65, and has since been delivering fire trucks (shh, his union hasn't caught on yet, though it "TECHNICALLY" doesn't violate his retirement contract).

The plot thickens, as he is probably the best "criminal" I know, because the whole time he drove trucks, he "cooked the books" so to speak so he could haul more freight longer distances and take more runs than is "legal". Sorry, that shouldn't be in quotes... but that's my grandpa.

On top of that, he's more reliable than Google Maps if you need to get anywhere State Side.

Also, he went over a month AFTER his appendix burst (the part that normally kills you) before even seeing a doctor. Of course, he only has half of his intestinal track left because of it, but he is still alive and kicking. At 72 he's healthier than some people MY age... which is also a bit of sad commentary about the youth of today.

It gets better!

He has two girlfriends, both younger than him (by an average of 10 years...) that don't know about each other. One he lives with, and one in Texas.

In the last year he has torrented (I taught him how to torrent btw) about 1TB of COUNTRY MUSIC. Just Country Music. It's weird. Really weird.

My family is awesome.

My family is awesome.
He retired from freight at 65, and has since been delivering fire trucks (shh, his union hasn't caught on yet, though it "TECHNICALLY" doesn't violate his retirement contract).
he "cooked the books" so to speak so he could haul more freight longer distances and take more runs than is "legal".
He has two girlfriends, both younger than him (by an average of 10 years...) that don't know about each other. One he lives with, and one in Texas

..yeah, sounds like a real stand-up guy.

I'm working on my PhD in biochemistry at one of the top biology institutes in the US, so I guess relative to the general public I could be considered a science expert, although I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best scientist in the world haha

I'm working on my PhD in biochemistry at one of the top biology institutes in the US, so I guess relative to the general public I could be considered a science expert, although I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best scientist in the world haha
jesus. props, man. if i even opened a biochemistry textbook i would have a migraine for a week.

..yeah, sounds like a real stand-up guy.
I never said he was a good person or a great role model. Lol. In his defense though, my grandmother died some years ago, and he isn't looking to tie himself down again... so there's that. As far as the "cooking the books" thing, he was trying to make more money to support his wife and four kids. And now he's just trying to keep working because the two months he was ACTUALLY retired he almost lost his mind because all he knows how to do is work.

HAHA! Moral grey areas! (Gray? Gr-eh?) Well... cheating is cheating I suppose, but his one girlfriend just sort of mooches off of his money and had both of her hips replaced... there's rammifications there i don't want to think about, and the other is in another state and knows the deal.
So my good friend has a similar degree, except lower than a PhD. His first week on the job, he spent an hour jumping in a dumpster trying to cram his company's recyclable cardboard down, all while yelling "I'm a scientist!" (Complete with white lab coat, goggles, and rubber gloves) To be fair, it was an entry level position so he could get some lab experience under his belt, and now he runs that very same lab... so there's that.
Hope you have your day in the sun, doing something very unscientific, while yelling "I'm a scientist!"

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Meanwhile I'm sitting here with my piece of paper looking for just about anything that isn't stupid fucking 12-hour rotation shifts in a crummy factory and having nobody hire me for a god damn thing even though I'm well-educated and highly reliable where the fuck do you people live >:[

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)