1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Issue #10 Released!

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by jumpluff, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destiny Warrior

Destiny Warrior also known as Darkwing_Duck
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

@Insularity: Likely reference to fuck tiger.

Great article, hope to see much more of the Smog(and faster too :P joking, I know why we need time for it)!
  2. Toaster

Toaster

Why does it have to be Fagkou -_-

Otherwise, great issue and congrats on your accomplishment in the double digits!
  3. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

This is a great issue. Thanks to all of the hard work by the staff, the writers, and the artists!
  4. *Hen*

*Hen*
    is an Artist Alumnus

^__________^ Thank you, Jumpluff!

Congrats to Yilx, Buffalo_Wings & HellaHellaStyle as well!
  5. august

august free the robots
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournament

great work yet again!
  6. Noey19

Noey19

I was excited to read the issue went it came out. Great job I always look forward to these.
  7. supermarth64

supermarth64 Here I stand in the light of day
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Ah... the origin of FUCK TIGER. Nice to get some more background about it.

Good job guys, though Jimbo needs to be slower with the uploading so I can do some last minute reads!
  8. Nosferalto

Nosferalto We're all gonna make it
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

I really enjoyed reading this. Excellent work as always everyone and thanks to everyone who contributed!
  9. Erazor

Erazor ✓ Just Doug It
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Great issue guys! And particular thanks to Eo Ut Mortus for covering up for me :)
  10. Kevin Garrett

Kevin Garrett is a competitor
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

Good catch. I will fix it.
  11. Fabbles

Fabbles LN_Slayer
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Another thing for the power rankings. I was really surprised the results of my tournament were not included. Twash should be near the top of the rankings and currently he is not even on them. And the fact that Earthworm made the finals of my Tournament and Floppy's is huge as well.

A good issue, as always.
  12. Kevin Garrett

Kevin Garrett is a competitor
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

I was going to put an honorable mention section with twash and some other people who did well in one or two official tournaments, but I didn't make the deadline with that section. It wasn't included in the actual rankings because the winner didn't get a trophy.
  13. Megan_Fox

Megan_Fox

great issue, and cool to see more content then normal.
  14. TheAmazingFlygon

TheAmazingFlygon

I found an error in the retyping article; it's mentioned that if Metagross was ground type he would have the strongest earthquake of all non-uber Pokémon; however this is false, Rhyperior's earthquake is still more powerful.
  15. Her0

Her0

Good issue, always fun reading them.
  16. doomvendingmachine

doomvendingmachine
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I've never posted in The Smog forums before, but I had to take the time to say that this smog was a joy to read and easily my favorite one so far. I loved the underrated movesets, the nu and LC coverage, and all of the useful articles on metagame information (substitute analysis, lead and core team building, even the relatively basic protips section was great). As always I love the RTMs, and I actually remember playing against JabbaTheGriffin's RTM way back when it still had a donphan on it and was payed an indirect compliment when he said, "stop predicting, this is the ladder." (I got whupped btw). I also was interested in the "what if" retype and ability changing articles as well as the lock back at the third gen metagame, which i never participated in but that is why reading the article was so interesting. It gave a great counterpoint to current 4th gen environment. Most of all, I loved the blast-to-the-past TCG articles even if the oldest one was still after i stopped collecting (I had a few Team Rock, Gym, and Neo Genesis cards, but not many). Even the newer-ish TCG article was interesting, as it showed how the TCG had evolved long after I had left it. All, in all, The Smog #10 was a wonderful read, and I hope to see other successful issues of The Smog in the future. The Smogcast #4, next on my list, has a lot to live up to!
  17. TubaKing

TubaKing

Great job as always guys!
    Keep it up!
  18. Bogmire

Bogmire

this is probably nitpicking but anyway...

gotta say I really loved the advance metagame article. I was always curious about it, and that article was extremely in depth.
  19. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

Seriously this issue was jam packed with entries and they were very well made. Good job you guys!
  20. The 1 and Only Lady Gaga

The 1 and Only Lady Gaga

I would like to request that somebody adds a new part to the "Re-Re-Retype!" section.

The Pokemon to be retyped is Ninetales, to become Fire/Ghost.

This is the description I would like to add:

Fire/Ghost typing would make Ninetales one of the best Infernape counters, even with her mediocre stats, since with Flash Fire she would be immune to both his STAB attacks, takes a pittance from Grass Knot or Hidden Power [Ice]/[Grass], and only has to worry about the rare occasion Infernape carries Stone Edge. She can also take on Scizor to a certain degree of success, with a resistance to Bullet Punch, immunity to Superpower and 4x resistance to U-turn.

And in UU, she shall be able to beat Chansey, the omnipresent special wall with an immunity to Seismic Toss, albeit she will require Substitute to avoid Thunder Wave or Toxic. Although rare, she shall also be able to take on the special sponges of Hypno and Grumping with Nasty Plotted STABbed Shaow Balls. And besides, surely a part Ghost typing would make sense on a Pokemon that can curse people for 1000 years, and this is further supported by the fact that Ninetales learns Grudge, Confuse Ray, Imprison, etc. that are all typical of Ghosts; Ninetales has been cheated of potential.

(End)

Feel free to add some more things I might miss out, or rephrase it if you'd like. I would like to add this to The Smog Issue #10's section of "Re-Re-Retype!" since Ninetales was missed out.
  21. jumpluff

jumpluff princess
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Hi, thanks for your post, but the Smog is a magazine. As such, we don't accept submissions and edits to the articles our contributors write after publication. The Re-Re-Re-Type article was just meant to show some examples of competitive re-types.
  22. The 1 and Only Lady Gaga

The 1 and Only Lady Gaga

Oh that sucks :(
    If I had posted earlier it would have been there.
  23. Aqueos

Aqueos

Might, you would've had to ask the writer. Good smog though.
  24. JRank

JRank
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Thanks to all the writers who made this (in my opinion) the best Smog yet!
  25. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Just a minor typo I've found.

In the Core Crisis article, when talking about great partners for Breloom and Zapdos, Starmie is described as a 'puny little sear star', shouldn't that be 'sea star'?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)