1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Issue #11 Released!

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by jumpluff, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stallion

Stallion Joe Cool
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Sorry for sounding ungrateful Pluff, as I said I really do appreciate the amount of effort you guys put into the magazine. I've read most of the articles and the fact that you guys find the hours to write at such a high standard is very impressive to me, and to top it off you all come up with new, relevant material issue after issue. However, I can't help agree with locopoke when he said:
    I think I speak for a few others when I say that tournaments are arguably the most important aspect of smogon, and definitely top 3. I may be a little biased, but I think its an absolute tragedy that nobody wrote about the Pokemon World Cup in particular (as well as a few other key tournaments starting like the Smogon Tour) after the excellent initial article in an earlier edition. As a result, I was thinking that for the next Smog, if someone in the know with a flair for writing volunteers to write for tournaments they could be permanently in charge of the Tournament Section, to avoid this happening again? There are people with the time and the skillset to do this and I think it would be a great idea. Sorry for beating a dead horse Pluff :heart::heart::heart:, it's just an idea that I think would work very well!!
  2. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

From the Want to write for The Smog thread:

So hopefully that clears things up somewhat?

Also, good work on the issue guys! Can't wait for the premier B/W issue!
  3. Stallion

Stallion Joe Cool
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Ahh in that case disregard my post!
  4. monkfish

monkfish what are birds?
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

idk if this is the right place to post but the breadcrumb at the top of the page says
    Smogon >> The Smog >> Section 11
    instead of Issue 11 like it should!
  5. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Yeah chaos made the section with the wrong name. :P
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo take me anywhere
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

A note on tournaments: Not many people (ever) comment on the tournament articles. The smog adapts to user feedback. I know the tournament writers were unavailable this issue, but that doesn't change the fact that the Smog staff would have very little idea at how much people enjoy the tournament articles since we don't get many "loved the tournament article!" type posts. We get dozens of posts about other articles like underrated movesets and featured pokemon, so we continue pumping those out.

That said, you've obviously made it clear you guys like the tournaments articles, so look forward to them in the future.
  7. JabbaTheGriffin

JabbaTheGriffin Stormblessed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I think it's due to a lack of interesting tournament articles. People do want to see tournament articles but when it's things like "tournament predictions" or "power rankings (unless they're specifically mentioned)" people don't care. An interesting, fun format has to be developed for tournament coverage. Maybe a kind of ESPN highlight approach? Users could send in the most interesting parts of their tournament logs maybe or maybe they could just highlight the interesting matches that happened. With that it'd probably be cool if some of the tournament writers watched tourney matches and then jotted down some notes and wrote about it like that. I dunno just tossing ideas out that could potentially be more interesting that past tournament articles have been.
  8. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Frontier Lackeyis a Past WCoP Winner

I don't want to force myself into a place I don't belong, but if users wanted to PM me Tournament Logs, I can write about them and the strategies each player used. I can talk about the highlights of the battles, and what I see as the main threats for whatever round. I think that could be a totally cool article if anyone is up for saving logs and giving them to me. If you want, I can preserve anonymity too. So don't worry about your team being revealed if its a long term tournament with the same rules throughout.
  9. Leningrad

Leningrad

A very successful issue overall. I especially enjoyed the evolution of the 4th gem metagame article (and of course the Shoddy mods).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)