1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Issue #11 Released!

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by jumpluff, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jumpluff

jumpluff princess
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

As the cover says, this is the last issue of DP. As such, this issue is a little early to accomodate the BW release date, but we hope you enjoy it nonetheless. Personally I think it's a great issue for the community and strategy-wise. Furthermore, the cover is extremely cute, which is always a plus. Happy reading!
  2. Optimusje

Optimusje

Great work! looks excellent. Gonna have a fun read in this
  3. Alchemator

Alchemator my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Note: Spriting Competition results will be included in the next issue. It is not too late to submit!
  4. FlareBlitz

FlareBlitz This was never a story that would have a happy end
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

That cover is way too adorable. Props to whoever drew it, and to everyone else who contributed to this issue :)
  5. matty

matty I did stuff a long time ago for the site
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

lol at the mod article
  6. Junk

Junk

Nice cover. It reminds me of two of the guys around here, with Delibird and Ampharos as their avatar/sig.

And the mod article is pretty lol. Great job!
  7. locopoke

locopoke indulges in unsavory behavior
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Personally, I was not particularly satisfied with this issue, but as always I appreciate the effort that everybody put into it!
  8. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Phew! The rush of getting that sort of thing on-site is great. I haven't had a chance to read it all yet, but I look forward to doing so. Great job, everyone!
  9. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Congratulations to ChouToshio, Kinneas and Shinxe on their shiny new Artist badge for their work on this issue!
  10. lordkira

lordkira

nice
    loving firecape's arceus article
    though i'm kinda surprised about calm mind set being the most dominant one and not the sword dancer (particularly extremekiller)
  11. supermarth64

supermarth64 Here I stand in the light of day
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Super cute! :3
  12. VKCA

VKCA (Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)

The "Evolution of the 4th Generation Metagame" article is fantastic.
    From what I've read so far this is my favorite smog
    Very nice job guys

Edit:
    Ya definitely my favorite
  13. Delko

Delko
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

Good one!
  14. symphonyx64

symphonyx64 Private messages are the best way to reach me
    is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Excellent artwork and a great way to close out the 4th gen!
    Will be looking forward to reading this.

Good work, as always.
  15. Snorlaxe

Snorlaxe 2 kawaii 4 u
    is a Contributor Alumnus

great job as always guys!
  16. Stallion

Stallion Joe Cool
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I've told pluff this already but (through no fault of her own) I'm super disappointed there's no article on the world cup or even tournaments in general, when other stuff that's not nearly as important to smogon has been made into articles. As always I appreciate the enormous effort put into the magazine by all the contributors (I'm currently working 4 jobs + uni so I would never be able to replicate what they do) but I think I speak for a few people I've talked to when I say I'm disappointed at the apparent avoidal of tournaments in general...

Edit: on a positive note, I love the moderator article haha.
  17. lati0s

lati0s

With the Special Defense boost from sand, Tyranitar effectively has a monstrous Special Defense base stat of 150

Due to the way stats are calculated this is inaccurate, the actual effective base special defense of tyranitar depends on how many EV's he is running. With no investment he has the equivalent of base 159 with 252 evs he has the equivalent of between base 174 and 175.
  18. Trackman

Trackman

Nice job, great read as always
  19. ginganinja

ginganinja Dating Haunter
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Awesome issue.

Mod article was also very funny. Keep up the awesome work!
  20. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Well only those who participate in the tournaments could write about them. If people who actually go to the tournaments and play them are not going to write, there will be no articles. This has nothing to do with the actual staff and writers of the magazine.

As a player, I personally am very disappointed with GF's blatant disregard for the large following of the singles metagame, and instead opted to force upon the larger player base, competitions of a completely different untraditional nature largely unsupported by the ingame. With that said, it's no surprise that Smogon at large has only minimal participation/support for the tournaments, and that there are too few participants available to the point where no one wrote about them for us. :/

edit 1: On another note, thanks for the badge, I'll keep working hard on art! ;)

edit 2: Also thanks for the note about Tyranitar's special defense-- when I wrote the article I couldn't find any literature about how it works exactly. I guess all you really need to know is that TTar's Special defense is FAT. :P
  21. Shinxe

Shinxe there and back again
    is an Artist Alumnus

An artist badge and the ability to give myself a cheesy user title... awesome! I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't congratulated on it. 8[

mmmm awesome art around here, fun articles.
  22. Toaster

Toaster

Apart from the fact Manaphy wasn't even in on the cutemon article(-_-), Great Work! I particularly liked the Archie reference in the mod article.

EDIT: Well I guess that cheered me up even though I noticed earlier anyway, not to mention Manaphy is pretty top-tier.
  23. Talz

Talz

There's one distinct problem with this...

[​IMG]

Tell me it isn't cute?!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  24. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yeah, and what about [​IMG]

I mean, it's a baby seal. What more do you need to know??? Other than that it's name means "Ball-shaped-seal" in Japanes, and it's like a little ball!! How can you not want to hug it???

edit: Yeah, we know you can't cover all the cutemon, but it's just fun to complain. I mean . . . what about . . . I dunno . . . pikachu?
  25. BuddyBlueBomber

BuddyBlueBomber

Just because a pokemon isn't in the cutemon list doesn't mean it's not cute : P

Theres so many cute pokemon it's not even funny. I want to hug them all.

Great Smog issue, by the way. I'm always looking forward to more, and congratz to the people who got an artist's badge!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)