CAP 10 Krilowatt Playtesting

@Rising Dusk: Krilowatt has immuntiy to poison, burn damage and full paralysis. Krilowatt has immunity to entry hazards. Natural Cure + Rapid Spin is not definitely superior to Magic Guard, especially since Rapid Spin uses up a moveslot.

However, you do make a good point: Starmie is not Krilowatt. Therefore, any talk of Starmie is completely irrelevant unless you're arguing about how Starmie counters Krilowatt or vice versa.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
No one is saying Starmie > Krill or Krill > Starmie. The fact that we're even having this discussion proves my point; Krill is not definitively better than Starmie (or at least no one has proven it), and since Starmie is nowhere near broken, it follows that Krill is also not anywhere near broken. The comparison is valid because both Pokemon occupy relatively similar niches as far as their offensive characteristics go. For the record, I think that while Krillowatt is fine as it is, Magic Guard does shift some of the focus away from its primary function...but so did Sucker Punch on Colosoil. Not every part of the Pokemon is going to be 100% compliant with its concept, and I think people need to accept that.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
By the way, you forgot that Krilowatt has a magnific offensive STAB that Starmie doesnt, Electric. Not only that, but Krilowatt has the ability to go mixed, which means the common counter to special attackers, Blissey, gets completely dominated, and so does Snorlax and other mons.
As for the bulk argument, Starmie may have Recover, but if you have played enough with it you simply wont have the chance to use it continuously, considering Starmie's bulk isnt good at all (unless you run a defensive set, which, guess what, is completely outclassed by even offensive Krilo, not even defensive one).

There are even more points I could use to show Krilo's superiority over every kind of Starmie, but thats really irrelevant in my opinion. Krilowatt is way too endurable, giving Magic Guard to this thing (like ive said a million times in #cap) was a complete mistake.

I have yet to see Krilowatt be as an effective Scarfmie+Rapid Spin as Starmie.

They may have similar special movepools but they both operate differently.

But yes, Krilowatt is better in the offensive catagory due to it's STAB, flexibility and unpredictable nature.

I once again have to say that we have a tendancy to make our CAPs a tad too strong due to our forgotten fear of failure.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They may have similar special movepools but they both operate differently.
lol, the only thing Starmie does better is Rapid Spin, be weak to Pursuit, and die easier in general. Does anyone really use Starmie when they could be using Krillowatt? I mean, seriously, they're both commonly offensive, they both abuse their speed and coverage, but Krilowatt just plain does it better.

Starmie is used more of a revenge killer SJcrew, not as a bulky blunt-force trauma machine that Krilowatt is being used as by the majority.

I hate to say it but LO+MG did turn out to be a tad too much for this CAP.

Our CAPs are too strong and we don't want to admit it. They fulfill their roles but they also do a whole lot more. We are not seeeing these additional advantages as bad. We're seeing them as icing on the cake which isn't what we should be seeing.

We did not intend for Krilowatt to be used in this way and we even stated in the creation process that we didn't want that to happen (Thus, Steel and Dragon type were shot down). We need to stop seeing these additional effects as positive and start seeing them as areas we need to try to work on in the future. We always, always make our CAP too strong. They may not be OP but they do a hell of a lot more than their intended design. A tad more isn't a problem, but we're over shooting our target with this method of creation.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The CAP 10 playtesting period ended last night at the close of ratings.

Congratulations to Zarator on winning the custom title of "CAP Playtesting Expert"!

Due credit goes to Reyscarface for actually ending up on top of the ladder, and being the official CAP 10 Playtesting Champion. But, since rey is already a badgeholder and has a custom title already -- we award the "Expert" title to the highest ranked playtest battler that does not already have a title. Honorable mentions to Fuzznip and Beej for finishing in the top five, but they have titles already as well.

Thanks to everyone who participated in playtesting with Krilowatt!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)