Kyogre (Paralyzing Tank)

I'm not arguing for a separate set for this, but this does deserve a mention in the AC of the Mono-Attacker set at the least, if not a slash.

[SET]
name: Mono-Attacker
move 1: Surf
move 2: Calm Mind / Thunder Wave
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Leftovers
nature: Modest
evs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 26 Spe

Why this should be on site:

-Best paralysis spreader in the game. Kyogre already lures in Palkia and Lati@s (and Cro-Ogre lures in Rayquaza), so Thunder Wave is a very high payoff move. After a Thunder Wave, Kyogre can quickly Rest off the damage if necessary.

-Due to paralysis, Kyogre avoids being setup fodder for dudes like Rayquaza.

-Still retains considerable bulk of the Mono-Attacker set, and is still able to counter Groudon effectively.

Additional Comments

-36 Speed EVs beats the standard Ho-Oh and Adamant TTar

Counters

-Calm Mind Mono-Kyogres

-Bulk Up Dialga

-Technically speaking, a lot of things counter this set (as in, Palkia and Lati@s can still beat you), but your job is not to sweep, rather to paralyze and run

Teammates

-Rayquaza really benefits from having Palkia paralyzed.

-Manaphy benefits from having Lati@s and Palkia out of the way.

-Scizor becomes a more effective counter to Lati@s, as it can now Pursuit at will, not fearing things like a fast HP Fire or Thunder.

-Of course, Garchomp is an excellent Kyogre buddy. SD variants in particular enjoy having Palkia or Lati@s paralyzed.

I've used this on my Manaphy team that got me to #6, and it performed excellently in the offense-heavy metagame. I would definitely NOT use this in a stall-heavy metagame, but for offensive metagames, CM/RestTalk is useless, whereas this set is awesome.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I like this. Although, I would say Sword's Dance Rayquaza is a very good partner in paticular as he benifits from having Scarf Dialga, Palkia, and other things that would survive extreme speed outside of Garchomp, although, Stealth Rock switchin's can hinder this attenpt.

Otherwise, this really deserves to be in some AC.

since using thunder wave means this set is no longer as offensive, i think you should probably mention using Bold while using thunder wave since you don't really need the spa.
also you have the wrong ev's.

I tested this out on a DD Ray team and it's excellent. It literally parad a Latias, Palkia, or Dialga almost every single time it came out. So ya, I definitely support this set. It can be total set-up fodder when it's sleeping but I think it definitely deserves a slash.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Mix Palkia is a really good teammate because it's extremely difficult to stop if your Latias or your Scarf Palkia is slower than it.

I tired this set in tandem with a mixed palkia and it was really impressive. You might want to consider getting rid of the rest-talk theme and go for a surf, thunder, roar, t-wave moveset because it really does not need to last much longer than paralyzing its counters anyway, and giving it roar and thunder will prevent things like Cro-ogres, CM refresh Latias, and Substitute users from setting up on you.

Yeah, I intended to use the Rest-Talk set because it was on a Rain-based team that wanted to make sure that Rain was up, but I can see another set working better on a team that doesn't really care about Rain, such as one based around DDRay.

Yeah, on a rain dependent team, longevity would definitely be the priority, but otherwise the added coverage and phazing support could be really valuable. If you really want, you could try chesto rest and get rid of sleep talk (that would leave you with surf, t-wave, thunder/roar/ rest), but that is starting to lean toward the gimmicky side of things.

I'm testing a Kyogre set that uses Surf / T-Wave / Roar or Thunder / Filler (I'm taking Substitute), but it just seems to be a bit weird, and I get the sense that I'd rather take something like Jibaku's Heatran simply because it has more antimetagame utility.

Then again, a reliable paralyzer of Latios/Latias/Palkia, combined with strong surfs and a check on RPDon seems useful. I'm just having trouble fitting in something like SDChomp to take advantage of all that.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really think this deserves a slash, its so useful as Latias and Palkia are both common checks for so many sweepers. Just be sure to add in Swords Dance Garchomp with Life Orb into the teammates, as with it, it can do amazing things like 2HKO Groudon with Jolly +2 Earthquake (even 252/252+ Groudon with Leftovers).

QC approved 1/3

edit:User Rising_Dusk is posting a full Kyogre update soon, so this will be slashed and further discussed (if there are any disagreements) in that thread. The next mod that sees this can lock it.

I'm testing a Kyogre set that uses Surf / T-Wave / Roar or Thunder / Filler (I'm taking Substitute), but it just seems to be a bit weird, and I get the sense that I'd rather take something like Jibaku's Heatran simply because it has more antimetagame utility.

Then again, a reliable paralyzer of Latios/Latias/Palkia, combined with strong surfs and a check on RPDon seems useful. I'm just having trouble fitting in something like SDChomp to take advantage of all that.
The problem with running Heatran is the lack of Thunder wave, which is the whole premise of the set. Thunder waving Lati@s and Palkia is extremely in valuable, due to Rayquaza or Garchomp being able to sweep. This set could possibly get Shaymin-S switch ins, which is one of the main checks to RP Groudon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)