Kyurem

Hi, I just caught a Kyurem and wanted to ev train and trade it. So, I read up to page 8 of all this bickering and wanted to know why everyone overlooked Imprison. Based off the set that K is running, He can shut down a lot of walls/ sweepers. Have any of you used Disable on a poke locked into Outrage? They use struggle for one turn. I'm new to the uber scene and I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense or hinders my argument but it's still something to think about.

Hey, since Kyurem is so extremely amazing in UU right now, I thought that maybe we should discuss Kyurem's prowess in this tier, since it may well be bumped up from UU.

Don't go calling it DQrem; Kyurem is monstrous in Hail, and is the best Pokémon that Hail has. Its shallow yet versatile movepool allows it to serve as a great offensive Pokémon if you want to use weather besides Sand, Sun, and Rain.

Its typing is nothing short of awesome, either. Getting STAB on both Draco Meteor and Blizzard? Count me in! It may be not so great of a defensive type, but it doesn't have a completely horrible one, either. It may be slow, but its signature move, Glaciate, can fix that.

Since Kyurem is going to get booted out of UU at this rate I'd like to tell the players of OU that maybe they should consider Kyurem. It's not Uber material, but maybe that's not such a bad thing. It definitely has great OU potential.

Well, after about a week I've finally reached post-game in my White version and have decided that Kyurem shall be my next legendary target. Since probably the only team I'd end up using it on is a Hail team, does anyone have a suggestion as to what the best, or at least a very good, Hail set would be?

On my old Hail team I used specs with blizzard, draco meteor hp fire and focus blast, with a timid nature. All the moves other than blizzard were filler really though, as 100 percent accurate, 120 BP moves coming off of kyu's great spatk hurt a lot of things that actually resist it significantly, and can tear apart anything that's neutral or better and not named blissey

Latias>Kyurem

But that is an interesting thought; would Kyurem or Hydreigon be the special attacking dragon of choice if both the Latis were banned?

Kyurem = 130 base spA, poor movepool, poor typing

Hydreigon = 125 base spA, good/much better movepool, better typing

I'd think Hydreigon, but...

Latias>Kyurem

But that is an interesting thought; would Kyurem or Hydreigon be the special attacking dragon of choice if both the Latis were banned?

Even if Latias and Latios stay, Hydreigon has the advantage of not being Pursuit bait. Hydreigon has Levitate and neutrality to Stealth Rock, which would give it a significant reason to use it over Kyurem. Hydreigon is also slightly faster. :)

You would use Kyurem instead of Hydreigon to spam STAB Blizzard, making it an option in hail teams.

Or to run a more effective mixed wall-breaker with 130 attack.

Or to run a more effective substitute attacker with that 125 HP.

Or to run the gimmicky Imprison set to prevent dragons from spamming Draco Meteor/Outrage.

Hydreigon is better than Kyurem in almost everything. Better speed, movepool, and typing ensures that even if the Latis are banned, Kyurem will still be BL at best.

Hydreigon only got a better defensive typing (mitigated by kyurem bulkyness) and better movepool. on the offensive ice >>>> dark

Hydreigon only got a better defensive typing (mitigated by kyurem bulkyness) and better movepool. on the offensive ice >>>> dark
Actually, Ice is pretty redundant with Dragon, while being Dark helps Hydreigon beat psychics and ghosts. So the part of offensive typing depends on your team. Also, bulkiness won't matter when you're Stealth Rock weak.

Well, this is easy to resolve. We have Kyurem in the depths of UU at rank 102, and Hyderigon about 80 ranks higer at rank 22, so i'm pretty sure Hydreigon has the advantage of being better here. The only place I can see Kyurem not be outclassed is in a Hail team as a Blizzard spammer, but other then that, Hydreigon has all the advantage.

Kyurem's STABs being redundant wouldn't be such an issue if he got Flamethrower/Fire Blast or Earth Power. Because he doesn't have either of these he has to rely on Focus Miss or Hidden Power [Fire] for coverage.

Kyurem's STABs being redundant wouldn't be such an issue if he got Flamethrower/Fire Blast or Earth Power. Because he doesn't have either of these he has to rely on Focus Miss or Hidden Power [Fire] for coverage.
I tend to think that even though Kyurem would enjoy a good ground move (why doesn't this thing learn EQ?) He does still do OK on coverage.

Most Kyurem have an attacking core of Dragon/Ice/Fighting or Fire.Now of course for fire you have to be using Hidden Power but then again so does Lati@s.I think this might help:

Fighting/Dragon
Super Effective Against: 6/17 (Dark/Dragon/Ice/Normal/Rock/Steel)
Known Resisters: Shedinja
Pokemon With Dual Stab: None

Fighting/Ice
Super Effective Against: 9/17 (Dark/Dragon/Flying/Grass/Ground/Ice/Normal/Rock/Steel)
Known Resisters: Chandelure/Darmanitan-Zen Mode/Froslass/Jellicent/Slowbro/Slowking/Starmie/Surskit/Tentacruel/Victini/Volcarona/Qwilfish/Shedinja
Pokemon With Dual Stab: None

So that actually looks like pretty solid coverage to me.Gengar and Reuniclus manage just fine with Focus Blast and I'm sure there are planty of sweepers that rely on Stone Edge for coverage.Not much difference.

On another note,is there any point to max speed on Kyurem?I'm thinking if I run just enough for the positive nature 90 crowd,I would have an extra 40 EVs after maxing Sp.Atk to maybe put in HP or Atk.

While I agree that EQ/Earth Power or a better Fighting move would have been handy, you seriously shouldn't even bring up the fire type attack argument. It's unrealistic to expect an ice type pokemon to learn a fire attack.
Granted that Pokemon =/= logic, but there is a tiny little bit of common sense regarding types and movepools.
Sorry but there is not; having a fire atk. is a valid argument. If that wasn't the case Dialga would not get Fire blast. Palkia wouldn't learn it too. Hell, even non-legendaries like Slowbro can learn Fire blast , a fire type learns a water move now... I'm looking at you Emboar.

The common sense you are talking is very subjective and much more malleable depending of the needs.

The thing is Kyurem was born in the wrong Generation every dragon-legend got awful movepools now.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I use this set with Kyurem to some success
Kyurem W/ life orb
nickname: MOLTEN
Nature: naive
40 atck 252spatck 216 speed
Outrage
draco meteor
focus blast
ice beam
I took the set in the original post and tweaked the evs to my liking, I changed the evs because i did not deem it nessacary to have 252 speed evs so i pumped it into spatck. ice beam is my main attacking move to hit other dragons,grasses Etc HARD
I dont suffer a spatck drop from it and it has good coverage. focus blast is there for those steel types that are resistant to my Stabs, Draco meteor allows me to hit one pokemon very hard that resists ice beam, Outrage is just a follow up move for when i have used DM and my spatck is down, Or to hit blissey

Changes being considered:
blizzard over Ice beam

Here is where i need advice, i often see that ice beam doesn't hit neutral targets hard enough should i put blizzard over ice beam?
Set name named after me

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hone Claws / Outrage / Blizzard / Focus Blast. You can replace Outrage with Dragon Claw if you want.

You can drop Kyurem's speed to 245 if you want. There isn't really anything important between 245 and 289, and if gives the set a good amount of power. If you're using Hone Claws, run 252 Special Attack with Modest, and put the rest in Attack.

If you're using Kyurem in OU, base 90 is a somewhat irrelevant speed tier.

Sorry but there is not; having a fire atk. is a valid argument. If that wasn't the case Dialga would not get Fire blast. Palkia wouldn't learn it too. Hell, even non-legendaries like Slowbro can learn Fire blast , a fire type learns a water move now... I'm looking at you Emboar.

The common sense you are talking is very subjective and much more malleable depending of the needs.

The thing is Kyurem was born in the wrong Generation every dragon-legend got awful movepools now.
Dialga and Palkia are dragons, Giant Salamanders which slowbro is partly based on breathe fire in some games/legends I believe.

Emboar learns boiling Water because its a FIRE type and FIRE HEATS UP WATER.

That's all I got, hope that clears things up.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
FACEPALM i thought you were talking to me sorry about that any advice on if i should use blizzard over ice beam?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)