Leaving for College!

Well, tomorrow I'm leaving home for good (besides breaks and stuff obvs) and, like all college students I'm assuming, I'm pretty nervous and it's a crazy mixture of emotions right now. On one hand, my best friend is going to a college a few hours away and we can't be homies anymore. On the other hand, I'm a damn adult now and get to do whatever I want. My parents have always been great, but it's an invigorating feeling. Finally, freedom.

I'm attending Indiana University in Bloomington, which is about a three hour drive from my parent's house. Got a tasty scholarship, majoring in Psychology, have a pretty sweet schedule for my first semester (only class on Tuesdays and Thursday? Sociology from 10-11:30. That's the sweetest thing ever!). It will all be especially easier to cope with because my girlfriend of almost two years is heading down with me. So that'll be awesome. Plus we can be alone more often, and you know what that leads to ;)

So there's my little personal spiel that some of you may or may not read. I was just wondering, how many have you been to college? I'd really like to hear what your first experiences were like. Make me feel a little bit better (or worse) about this significant change in my life!

Oh, good luck!
I'm also leaving for college in about two weeks.
Ecology/Evolution major with a double minor in Psych and Philosophy.

majoring in Psychology
...why?

in all seriousness, good luck with college. i'm not there yet but one of my best friends is and everyone around his house is bending all their nerves out of order trying to imagine him leaving. thoughts like that kind of scare me when i think that i'll basically only be living in my house for 2 and a bit more years. i'm honestly impressed that you're majoring in psychology; i'm looking forward to the sea of good samaritans trying to tell me that attempting to get an english degree is worthless (even though in a major sense of the word they are exactly right) ... but how else will us fleshy motherfuckers figure out what beauty is?

Oh, good luck!
I'm also leaving for college in about two weeks.
Ecology/Evolution major with a double minor in Psych and Philosophy.
This is an interesting major/minor combo. What kid of career are you pursuing, exactly?

i'm looking forward to the sea of good samaritans trying to tell me that attempting to get an english degree is worthless (even though in a major sense of the word they are exactly right) ... but how else will us fleshy motherfuckers figure out what beauty is?
A college major is only worthless if it's something you don't truly enjoy! This might sound like a naive, overly optimistic point-of-view, but if I know people that have made due with their lives with a degree in Classical Guitar Performance (I'm serious), then you can certainly live a fulfilling life with a degree in English, especially if you can become a college professor or something someday.

I'm leaving in a few weeks as well, Bachelor of Commerce at Carleton University

One of my best friends is going to Carleton.

Anyways I'm lucky because there is a university not far from me, so I can live with my family until they move(which is shortly). I'm going to the University in Alberta next month, and am undeclared for my first year but am leaning towards a major in Physics :)

I don't know what your home life was like Byrne, but IMO it wasn't the huge deal people made it out to be. Life is just a lot funner and you have more sex. I really wouldn't advise having a girlfriend in college. You're young, enjoy yourself. Whatever you do, good luck though!

Psych and English aren't huge moneymakers, but if you're passionate go after it man.

pookar

Banned deucer.
went to cc for 2 years got an associates degree in liberal arts math science, transfer this semester majoring in sports management, leave in 2 weeks. was/am considering minoring in something, but i dunno yet.

wish CC could help this discussion but its like high school for bad kids and underachievers

I don't know what your home life was like Byrne, but IMO it wasn't the huge deal people made it out to be. Life is just a lot funner and you have more sex. I really wouldn't advise having a girlfriend in college. You're young, enjoy yourself. Whatever you do, good luck though!

Psych and English aren't huge moneymakers, but if you're passionate go after it man.
People tell me on forums quite often to ditch the girl. I mean, its certainly what's best for most people, but I thoroughly believe she's "the one" which sounds cheesy as fuck but I just cant even begin to imagine having more happiness with someone else. Maybe things will go wrong for us during college, I don't know. I'll just have to wait and see I guess!

Starting university is certainly fun. One of my buddies graduated from IU bloomington, you're gonna have a lot of fun it can get wild there.

Just make sure you do what you're there to do.... study!

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I wish you the best of luck!

College will really be a different experience. I'm leaving in under 2 weeks. I'm heading to University of Connecticut, got some nice scholarships, so it should be fun! Home is ~2 hours away, so I'm far enough so that my parents won't come in, but close enough to visit.

I'm hoping to do research! Don't ask for any specifics ;)
I am an undergraduate researcher right now at my university doing Molecular Ecology and evolution work. My professor's area of expertise is towards the research of the plant genus, Penstemon, and discovering its evolutionary history in relation to its ecological environment. I am assisting her with the study by working mainly with molecular data of Pseudomasaris vespoides pollinators whom specialize on Penstemon. I gotta say research has its goods and bads. It sucks when experiments fail,especially when you take into the account of cost of resources and the amount of time doing procedures. But when you actually do get results, it is extremely satisfying because you get to analyze and decipher a story based on molecular data. But new questions always arise with new data, so research is never stale. It is cool that there are people in Smogon that is pursing research, so I wish you the best.

So there's my little personal spiel that some of you may or may not read. I was just wondering, how many have you been to college? I'd really like to hear what your first experiences were like. Make me feel a little bit better (or worse) about this significant change in my life!
College is definitely a great experience if you make the most out of it. Don't be afraid to try out new things, meet new people, and remember to be yourself. Those professors and peers in your major may end up being some of the most important people in your lives towards a career and a happy life.

I leave in 2 days. I never get nervous before things, only when they are literally about to occur like on the way there. The thing is, I hate change and going to college is arguably the biggest change in a person's life so that worries me. I haven't met my roommate but we've texted a bit. He is an African-born, German-raised all-state soccer player (no hyphen in that one) so I can't say we're too similar outside of language. My major is History/Pre-law on paper, but I haven't actually decided and now that it's approaching, I'm leaning towards an Accounting major, hell if I know about choosing a minor

I am an undergraduate researcher right now at my university doing Molecular Ecology and evolution work. My professor's area of expertise is towards the research of the plant genus, Penstemon, and discovering its evolutionary history in relation to its ecological environment. I am assisting her with the study by working mainly with molecular data of Pseudomasaris vespoides pollinators whom specialize on Penstemon. I gotta say research has its goods and bads. It sucks when experiments fail,especially when you take into the account of cost of resources and the amount of time doing procedures. But when you actually do get results, it is extremely satisfying because you get to analyze and decipher a story based on molecular data. But new questions always arise with new data, so research is never stale. It is cool that there are people in Smogon that is pursing research, so I wish you the best.
That's really fascinating. I've helped Rutgers do some genetic analysis on Duckweed (Wolffia Australiana), but nothing too intensive. I did enjoy it a lot though!

Just a question is leaving home for college for good, and living on campus and stuff, is that all around America or something? Or is it a path only a few take. Because in Australia not many people do this.

Oh nice I am going to school at the University of Indianapolis, not far from the OP!
Pretty nervous but also really pumped for college, I'm undecided but that doesnt scare me too much(yet)

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Just a heads up, every major's terrible. (I wanted to get a major in Physics, but was redirected to Engineer, so to speak.) Goin' for my third year of college, but this time as a math/physics tutor as well.

My first year of college was a blast! Joined a fraternity (erherm, "student organization") or two, became a part of the marching band, and so on. What struck me about college was just how much free time I suddenly had. Fifteen or sixteen hours a week sounds like a lot, but I quickly realized that that time has to be filled somehow. Later on when classes got harder, it became necessary to actually """study""". The first couple of years of college has taught me not be afraid to spend my spare time learning things I'm not 100% comfortable with, and to not be afraid to talk to professors and TAs if I genuinely don't understand something. Not sure how much this applies to a psychology degree plan, but still.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not sure about USA but a physics major makes a great deal of money when they get out of school; there are so many things physics (and the thinking process that comes along with it) can apply to.

First year is fairly chill, you'll definitely have fun. Just make sure not to fall behind too much and make sure to seek help if you can't adjust; I find it a few students can't adjust to college life but refuse to seek any sort of support.

Good luck Byrne!

I myself have one more year of high school to go, but I'm planning on going to college after that. I'm still doubting about what to choose, though Economy and Industrial Design are the most interesting for me so far. Luckily the Netherlands is small, meaning there are always some universities close by - I live 10 minutes outside of Delft (which has one of the best technical universities in Europe), and a 20 minute train trip out of Rotterdam. Pretty excited already, even though I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

I didn't know you could major in Evolution :o

But anyway, as for me, I'm in my second year, still undecided, but I plan to take the MCAT and go for med school regardless of my bachelor's degree :)

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the best words were said by my college English professor last year, "don't come to college because you have to or because you think it's the way to a life with a lot of money. The best life is to live one where you know everything you are passionate about, where you're happy with what you're doing and where you are planning on going later in your life. If you choose college and make a lot of money doing something you're happy about, I'm happy for you. If you choose college to further your knowledge on something you're passionate about then I'm proud of you."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)