1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Magic the Gathering Tournament I: Group Stages

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by matty, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matty

matty I did stuff a long time ago for the site
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Hello pilots for MTG,

I have gone ahead and created the groups. Using random.com I have created 4 separate groups containing 5 participants. Again, to remind you guys, I will copy and paste the rules from the signup thread.

Tournament Rules:
    1. All players must carefully familiarize themselves with the latest rulebook and follow the rules carefully.
    2. If there is a dispute in terms of rulings, refer to the Magic Wiki or ask a knowledgable person on our IRC channel #mtg.
    3. Game discussion will be held on #mtg on irc.synirc.net. This can also be used to schedule matches and find some help for your deck! I can't stress this chat enough, there's almost always someone on and I encourage you to use it for anything MTG related
    4. You DO HAVE TO use the same deck throughout the entire tournament and you CANNOT change your deck during the same round.
    4a. In order to be fair, send in decks to TheAngry Scientist; he has generously volunteered to collect the decks for the tournament in order to make sure that people aren't changing between rounds. Thanks!
    5. The tournament is played in two parts: the first part of the tournament will be a Swiss round. The number of people that signup will be divided into 4 group. Each player will play all the other players in a best of 3. The 2 players with the best records from each group will move onto the round of 4. The #1 seed from group one will then play the #2 from group two and vice versa. The proceeding rounds will be best of 3 as well.
    6. No player may reveal the contents of their opponent's deck. Doing so will get you kicked out of the tournament and banned from future tournaments
    7. Each player may use a 15 card Side Deck or no sideboard at all; nothing in between
    8. Creativity is encouraged, although not mandatory. (Ripping other peoples decks off the internet isn't a bad idea *wink wink*)
    9. It is advised that players compete whilst drunk, high, or any other mood to insure the most fun possibly. EVERYONE and their mom wants to duel a drunk Hobo Joe.
    10. - All matches will be played on Cockatrice in best 2 out of 3 match format. NO exceptions.

The groups are as follows:

Red Division
    Timetwister (0-1)
    shiki - DQ'd
    Myzozoa (2-1)
    Iron (2-1) - DQ'd
    Loos (1-2)

Blue Division
    Tea Demon (2-2)
    Fig (2-1)
    bojangles (4-0)
    Yuri (1-2)
    IPL - DQ'd

Orange Division
    MrEsc (2-2)
    Temperantia (1-3)
    asim (2-0)
    matty (2-0)
    Doran Dragon (0-2)

Green Division
    tad38 (3-1)
    Blue Captain (4-0)

Phiddlesticks (0-3)
    Sandman (0-3)
    Whistle (2-1)

All decks are required to be sent in to The Angry Scientist; his profile is here.

ALL MATCHES SHOULD BE COMPLETED BY SEPTEMBER 25th
    . Please, please, please make sure these get done

If you have any questions, wall or PM me as usual

Good Luck, Have Fun!
  2. bojangles

bojangles IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Red Division
    Timetwister
    shiki
    Myzozoa
    Iron
    Loos

timetwister is legit. Iron's pretty solid too. Tough division right here.

Blue Division
    Tea Demon
    Fig
    bojangles
    Yuri
    IPL

Good luck guys.

Orange Division
    MrEsc
    Temperantia
    asim
    matty
    Lady Salamence

This one was hard to call.

Green Division
    tad38
    Blue Captain
    Phiddlesticks
    Sandman
    Whistle

tad is an INVOKER!!!! Seriously though, he's really experienced with magic as a whole. Predicting 0-4 for whistle.
  3. Myzozoa

Myzozoa Throw-up on the internet, or get off on TV
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Red Division
    Timetwister
    shiki
    Myzozoa
    Iron
    Loos

Iron should win this, I don't plan on using any deck that involves skill beyond sit there and combo out.

Blue Division
    Tea Demon
    Fig
    bojangles
    Yuri
    IPL

Anyone could come in second in this group, but I only bo in first. I havent seen ipl play but he could be a surprise winner.

Orange Division
    MrEsc
    Temperantia
    asim
    matty
    Lady Salamence

I have to predict matty to advance otherwise i wont ever get to beat his 12-post deck with my kitties.

Green Division
    tad38
    Blue Captain
    Phiddlesticks
    Sandman
    Whistle

tad38 is my prediction to win everything, and whistle sux
  4. theangryscientist

theangryscientist

List of people who have sent me their decks:

asim
    Fig
    Jace The Mind Sculptor/Iron
    ibojangles
    imperfectluck
    Loos
    matty
    Mr Escalator
    myzozoa
    Phiddlesticks
    sandman
    Shiki
    tad38
    Temperantia
    TEA_DEMON
    timetwister
    whistle
    Yuri

Remember to send in your decklist before you play! I'll edit this list as I receive more.
  5. whistle

whistle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

get this kid out of here
  6. Temperantia

Temperantia

He has yet to actually play matty's deck though. I don't think that's an auto-DQ. -__-
  7. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

whistle gets auto-DQed for trying to auto-DQ Myzozoa
  8. theamericandream38

theamericandream38

Gonna disappoint everyone because I'm playing a brew instead of netdecking something =[
  9. Temperantia

Temperantia

Am I the only one who has never netdeck'd?

Half the fun is making your own. -__-'
  10. TEA_DEMON

TEA_DEMON

now would be a good time for my deck to actually win!
  11. Loos

Loos

Good luck everyone.

And stop hating on Whistle.

...Sometimes he blunders into a win.
  12. matty

matty I did stuff a long time ago for the site
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Hey so once you get your team submitted and can find someone else in your pool who has submitted too, go on ahead and start playing your pool. There really is no reason to wait and nothing will change if everything is finalized.

That said, I have my team submitted and am ready to start playing in my pool

EDIT: As a heads up im gone Saturday and a majority of Sunday so I'll updated stuff when I get back
  13. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

oh god

i have to drop out

because mtg has changed so much since i last played, and i lost my touch

i don't want other players in my group having problems

sorry
  14. whistle

whistle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

the last time i played for more than two weeks was mirrodin block don't be a lady
  15. Yuri

Yuri

OF COURSE i mana screw in g2 and then draw five lands in a row after mulliganing to 5 in g3. That is how utterly retarded my luck is. tea demon 2-1
  16. TEA_DEMON

TEA_DEMON

beat yuri 2-1, gg.
  17. Jace the Mind Sculptor

Jace the Mind Sculptor

For those who are new to Cockatrice, here is a tip: When you first build a deck and use it on the program for the first time, it opens it as it was built. Meaning, that all the lands will be bunched up and all the cards will be with their duplicates, creating for horrendous hands either chockfull of lands or none at all. Therefore, before actually using the deck in an important match, use it in lots of little test matches. The program will then open up the deck as it was used from your previous match, and thus it should be shuffled enough where those type of bad hands dont happen.

I hope I explained it well.
  18. whistle

whistle

so you can rig decks for tournament matches if you play a throwaway game before hand, awesome good to know
  19. Atticus

Atticus Atticus
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentis a SPL Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier

shut up whistle -__--
  20. Doran Dragon

Doran Dragon

D: i wish i knew about this! i would have joined D: sadness
  21. Shiki1335

Shiki1335

im reayd for my match anytime just send me a message.
  22. Loos

Loos

I beat myzozoa 2-1
  23. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

sub in for me
  24. Vaz

Vaz

What is this played on?
  25. Myzozoa

Myzozoa Throw-up on the internet, or get off on TV
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

confirmed

I beat iron 2-1.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)