Masuda Method Without Shiny Charm

Considering I won't be able to complete the National dex for a long time might as well.
I'll be breeding a JPN Gyarados and a USA Gyarados (fuck yes 6 egg cycles for Magikarp), in batches of 30.

Alright finished another batch of 100. Updated google doc.

Ugh I am most displeased with Masuda method without shiny charm :(.

I'll pledge another 200 for now, but it'll take me a day or two. Breeding with Japanese slowpoke (f) and Canadian feebas (m).

I'm so lucky, got another shiny =) The helioptile is missing a perfect speed Iv though, which is a bit disappointing. What should I go for next, zubat, or croagunk?
Also, random question, do you guys tip the npcs? I usually tip the ones in the battle chateau before shiny hunting. Might not work, but it can't hurt.

I'm so lucky, got another shiny =) The helioptile is missing a perfect speed Iv though, which is a bit disappointing. What should I go for next, zubat, or croagunk?
Also, random question, do you guys tip the npcs? I usually tip the ones in the battle chateau before shiny hunting. Might not work, but it can't hurt.
I didn't tip anyone. That's probably the reason I didn't get a shiny in 1000 eggs. Will probably do some more breeding next weekend, and I am going to tip like there's no tomorrow.

I've heard rumors about tipping influencing the chance of encountering a shiny. I'm skeptical, but I think we might as well test that while we're at it. I added an extra field to the chart asking how often do you tip on a scale from 0-10, 0 meaning no tipping, 10 meaning a tremendous amount of tipping.

I've heard rumors about tipping influencing the chance of encountering a shiny. I'm skeptical, but I think we might as well test that while we're at it. I added an extra field to the chart asking how often do you tip on a scale from 0-5, 0 meaning no tipping, 5 meaning a tremendous amount of tipping.
Can you give objective criteria for each number?

Can you give objective criteria for each number?
(Note: I mistakenly put 0-5 in the post and later corrected it to 0-10). That would probably be better, but I'm not sure people really keep track of their tipping very well.

Someone can probably come up with something a little better than this, but what I had in mind is something along the lines of
0-no tips
1-less than 1,000
2 1,000-3,000
3 3,001-5,000
4 5,001-10,000
5 10,001-15,000
6 15,001-25,000
7 25,001-35,000
8 35,001- 50,000
9 50,001- 100,000
10 100,000+

Doesn't including tipping introduce another variable that's not related to the topic of Masuda Method we're researching? I feel that tipping shouldn't be allowed in the test like this.

Doesn't including tipping introduce another variable that's not related to the topic of Masuda Method we're researching? I feel that tipping shouldn't be allowed in the test like this.
Ideally we would have a separate test for Masuda Method and tipping but I'm not sure people are that patient. So I thought we might as well take advantage of the research we're already gathering and kill two birds with one stone.

There seem to be some websites that indicate tipping influences shiny ratess ( http://www.product-reviews.net/2013/10/28/pokemon-x-and-y-shiny-pokemon-easier-with-waiter-tip/ ) , and as far as I can tell there is nothing else tipping does. While I'm skeptical that shiny rates are increased by tipping, it does seem odd that they'd have you spend money on a feature that didn't do anything so I thought it was worth investigating.

What if the people who hatched the most eggs on the shiny charm threads happened to be the ones who tipped the most, while the ones who hatched the most eggs on this thread happened to be the ones who tipped the least, and tipping influences the shiny rate? Without data mining we can't know for certain what the rates are or what influences them, and I didn't think there was a downside to including this extra information other than the trouble it'd take for people to enter in the tipping number (which will probably be an estimate because I don't expect people to keep close track of all their tips). As far as I'm concerned even including this tipping information is optional and I'm grateful for everyone's contributions regardless of whether they include it.

I'll join in and do, say, 100 eggs. Breeding my female Marill with a male Japanese Froakie.

EDIT: Done. 0 shinies/100 XD

Last edited:
I think the Chimchars know they're my least favourite starter. That's 600 and nothing. 600 since I started counting, that is. I don't even know how many of the things I've bred. Anyways, raising my pledge to 900 and I'm still updating my post on page 2, reply 40.

Zzz another bazillion eggs and nothing. Back to feebas for this batch I suppose. Ugh I wish I had a good iv foreign ditto so i didn't have to keep finding 5 iv parents.

I think I shall shuffle between feebas, slowpoke and pumpkaboo for this batch. SOME DAY I SHALL HAVE A WHOLE TEAM OF MY VERY FAV SHINY POKES!

On another note; I've almost filled the kalos dex. So breeding should speed up a tiny bit soon with the oval charm.

I can see what you mean, I never really thought about that. Of course, no one knows for sure if it actually does anything, I just do it for luck. xD I think it'd be funny if an entire new thread gets made for tipping odds. :P

I'll pledge 100 more eggs. I'm giving it a try again, but I'm tipping 1000 once.
Batch: 35/100 - 0 Shinies

Last edited:
I'm trying for a perfect shiny charmander so I'll join the cause! I'll pledge 50 at a time. Still a long way from my shiny charm. Parents are my female charizard bred on my own game with a Japanese charizard.

Batch 1: 0/50
Batch 2: 0/50
Batch 3: 0/50

Last edited:
Alright, I completed my last batch. I'm glad I was able to get 2 out of the 1500 eggs I hatched. I won't be pledging anymore, because I'm actually really close to getting the shiny charm. It was surprisingly easy to get all the legondaries, I put in xernes and worked my way up, getting a slightly more rare one each time until I got to kyogre. Now I just have to evolve a bunch of pokebank mons. Good luck to everyone else, and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread =)

Assuming that the current research is accurate (which isn't a very safe assumption), it looks like the Shiny Charm does affect breeding (at least masuda method breeding). Just thought I'd put it out here.

I pledge to hatch 1000 eggs. I own an ENG 31/31/31/31/31/31 Scizor and a SPA 31/31/31/0/31/31 Scyther that I will be breeding. I do NOT own a Shiny Charm yet. I will add myself to the Google Doc when I get home and begin breeding. If someone could calculate for me my personal odds of shinies I would greatly appreciate it, as my math skills are negligible at best. I'm currently working on a Harvest Trevenant and will begin on the Scyther when I get the Trevenant I want.

I will edit this post reflecting my egg progress;

Batch 1: 1-100 - 0 shinies
Batch 2: 101 - 200 - 0 shinies
Batch 3: 201 - 300 - 0 shinies
Batch 4: 301 - 400
Batch 5: 401 - 500
Batch 6: 501 - 600
Batch 7: 601 - 700
Batch 8: 701 - 800
Batch 9: 801 - 900
Batch 10: 901 - 1000

Last edited:
Assuming that the current research is accurate (which isn't a very safe assumption), it looks like the Shiny Charm does affect breeding (at least masuda method breeding). Just thought I'd put it out here.
Well I believe we have mostly come to that conclusion in the other thread anyways. This thread only has "shiny charm" in the name so that people don't post in the wrong thread if they DO have the charm already. We're mostly just trying to test exactly WHAT the odds are when using Masuda method. We want to know the rate BEFORE the shiny charm is obtained. :)

On a side note. Another 5 boxes of eggs down and no shiny.

Also Sky-Scythe the google doc auto-calculates your personal shiny chance once you enter the data (i.e. The amount of eggs hatched/shinies found). It's mostly an inaccurate and silly number anyways.

Well I believe we have mostly come to that conclusion in the other thread anyways. This thread only has "shiny charm" in the name so that people don't post in the wrong thread if they DO have the charm already. We're mostly just trying to test exactly WHAT the odds are when using Masuda method. We want to know the rate BEFORE the shiny charm is obtained. :)

Also Sky-Scythe the google doc auto-calculates your personal shiny chance once you enter the data (i.e. The amount of eggs hatched/shinies found). It's mostly an inaccurate and silly number anyways.
Oh, that's fantastic! Thanks for letting me know.

I understand that, in the other thread, they thought that if the rate for MM without Shiny Charm was not changed, then it helps, but they wouldn't be sure of whether or not it helps if it did increase. So our testing on rates before Shiny Charm is necessary. I was just saying that what we had then made it look like the shiny charm helps.

Ill pledge a random number of eggs until I get SC(lets say 1000ish for now). I have been MMing for a shiny Goomy w/Gooey and have already hatched 210 eggs, with getting 1 shiny between eggs 91-120. Im also currently working on hatching 300 boxed eggs.
Ill update the spreadsheet with my name and information that I have obtained so far and will update my results on my current eggs when Im done. Ill be hatching in batches of 150-300 a time.

Batch 1: 210 eggs (1 Shiny)
Jap- Goomy, Eng- Goomy
No tipping

Batch 2: 300 eggs (No Shiny)
Jap- Goomy, Eng- Goomy
No tipping

Batch 3: 300 eggs (1 Shiny Box 7 of 10)
Jap- Goomy, Eng- Goomy
No tipping

Final Edit: 2/7/2014 Finished hatching my 10 boxes of eggs for batch 3 with 1 shiny. I have Shiny Charm now so I will be contributing to that thread from now on.

Last edited:
Feel free to tell me if my updates are uninteresting or if my original post is getting too long.
That's 900 eggs and nothing :/ Going to 1,200 I guess. I'm too far in to give up now. I'm really starting to hate Chimchars though. I hope my bad luck doesn't skew the data too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)