1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Mental Herb (Now good)

Discussion in 'Dragonspiral Tower' started by Niched, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Niched

Niched

Mental Herb now removes the effects of:
    Attract
    Taunt
    Encore
    Torment
    Disable
    Cursed Body

It has no effect on:
    Mean Look
    Swagger
    Curse
    Destiny Bond

Mechanics:
    When a pokemon is hit with one of the moves it can removed, it immediately activates and removes the effect, similar to how Lum Berry immediately removes status. Pokemon that are targeted by taunt that have taunt removed will still be able to use, for example, stealth rock.

Discuss.
  2. lucariojr

lucariojr i'm a lombre from home
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Good lord, when did this happen? This may make Trick Room WAY more easier to set up.

DO we have confirmation on this?
  3. Forte.EXE

Forte.EXE

I'd take Deoxys-S off of that list, seeing as it has such mediocre defenses that it'll probably be 2HKOed by anything actually attacking it. I'd much prefer Magic Coat on Deoxys-S, to bounce back Taunt and Encore anyway, especially against opponent Dittos that Eccentric Transform into Deoxys-S.
  4. Blatreutka

Blatreutka

Is the herb a one time use? Because if it is I'd have to agree with Forte in that Magic Coat is better on Deoxys-S. This seems like a very good item to use on Erufuun so that it isn't useless if hit with a taunt. It hurts to lose Leftovers recovery on the Leech Seed set, but for anything else it would work wonders.
  5. Luigi player

Luigi player

Didn't someone say it doesn't work on encore? I remember reading that...

Not sure how useful it really is. On Pokemon that set up stealth rock it might be good. It's really stupid that you can't block it anymore ._. but anyway on other moves it might not be that good since it's consumed after use and the opponent can just do it again next turn (mostly thinkin about taunt here)...
  6. Shining Kestral

Shining Kestral

I think this works best on mid to late game Pokémon rather than leads. Ones that will probably be getting only one chance to set up work best, otherwise, it feels like an item slot waste.
  7. Wynought

Wynought

Removes, or prevents the effects of Taunt?

As in;
    Froslass used Taunt
    Geodude fell for the Taunt
    Geodude cannot use Stealth Rocks
    *Mental Herb activation*
    Geodude is free from Taunt

Or, more sensibly;
    Froslass used Taunt
    Geodude didn't fall for the Taunt due to Mental Herb
    Geodude used Stealth Rocks

Just trying to understand the mechanics.
  8. jwoozie

jwoozie

I would guess that it works the same way as a Lum Berry would.
    As in, Dragonite gets hit with Thunder Wave, Lum Berry activates, Dragonite uses Dragon Dance.
    Instead of, Dragonite gets hit with Thunder Wave, Dragonite is fully paralyzed, Lum Berry activates.
  9. lucariojr

lucariojr i'm a lombre from home
    is a Contributor to Smogon

10. Zephyr

Zephyr Life Stream
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Nice job. So it confirms healing taunt. Seeing as its instant it seems that its a sure fire Stealth Rock,Trick Room, etc.
  11. pokefreak77

pokefreak77

So basically Darkrai's Dark Voids are pretty much guaranteed seeing how taunt won't be able to stop it now.
  12. AriadosPerson

AriadosPerson

I could see this being the item of choice for some members of Baton Pass chains, as the ability to resist Taunt is so invaluable to those types of teams.
  13. Wynought

Wynought

That is fantastic! So much potential.

Thanks for the upload, yo.
  14. More Cowbell

More Cowbell

Is this a one-time item like Lum Berry, or will a Pokémon keep it after activation?
  15. Red G

Red G

This thing will make darkrai in doubles (and smeargle using dark void) very useful. People will have to pack close combat or Mach punch to really stop them for sure.
  16. SupremeDirt

SupremeDirt

Well let's think, it's a HERB, and it's CONSUMED. I'll let you put that together.
  17. The Pokemon Pimp

The Pokemon Pimp

^ Rude, but true nonetheless.

Very interesting item improvement! I think it's good on Gigiasu (sorry for the spelling) and could be considered instead of Custap, at least.
  18. Bombkirby

Bombkirby

Well considering this item has been in the games for quite some time....

Regardless, its awesome.
  19. SupremeDirt

SupremeDirt

No, you get to deal with whatever your opponent decides is the best thing to lead against your team. If that's a Mental Herb SR lead, then it's a Mental Herb SR lead.
  20. Deck Knight

Deck Knight Photorealistic Seagull (PSG)
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

Getting out of Encore is valuable considering Erufuun is around these days, letting you set up a +2 Boost, then attack it through Encore.
  21. OmegaForte

OmegaForte

I see Darkrai leads being more deadly now that they don't necessarily need to run scarf and/or shoot off Dark Void without worries.
  22. JeffreyLebowski

JeffreyLebowski

is this item consumed after use? I assume it is, but im still interested
  23. Yogi Bear.

Yogi Bear.

Does Mental Herb negate Knock Off?

Interesting. It could also make TormenTran less viable. Who benefits of it most? Are there any bulky Pokemon that hate Taunt/Encore?
  24. RaRaRabbit

RaRaRabbit

How would it negate Knock off? Why would that even matter? If someone used knock off on your pokemon holding a Mental Herb, it would be knocked off and... well... thats that.

Even if it DID "negate" Knock Off, they would use Knock Off, and the Mental Herb would be used, and Knock Off would have succeeded in... well... getting rid of the item.

As for viable pokemon... uh...
    Off the top of my head, Shuckle (better things it could use though *cough*leftovers*cough*), Bronzong, Foretress, Nattorei, Swampert maybe, Skarmory. That new Bug Rock Iwaperasu seems like a GREAT candidate.
  25. Colonel Darren

Colonel Darren

Curse Swampert and Hippowdon, for starters. I'm not sure about Knock Off. I highly doubt it blocks it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)