Mental illness

ruf, when I was in primary school my second teacher was determined due to my intelligence and social awkwardness that I had a 'mental condition'. She kept dropping hints whenever she saw my mum, until eventually she got the sack for suggesting a child threw me across the playground was because I was 'socially retarded'.

There is a fantastic documentary on ADHD, here is a release about it.

Www.totallyadd.com

The documentary REALLY struck a chord with me because it is so fucking true for me it is scary. Made me feel a lot better about many of the things I would otherwise blame myself for and realize I can harness my overactive brain to be either a fantastic troll or a really decent poster (also other things in life).

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
wheeeeeeeee my favorite topic. I probably wouldn't have even posted if people hadn't posted before, either. Just more reasons to feel awesome.

At first I was diagnosed Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Xanax <333333333) but then I went to a competent psychiatrist, got some tests and turned out to have OCD and clinical depression. which to me seems right. the ocd isn't what generally is seen in TV and movies and stuff though... mine isn't that strong and I think i've learned to live with something that is part of me, in a way. and i've been trying to not let it too powerful on my life. and i guess it works.

the depression ive also taken it as a part of me. if im gonna hurt myself, then be it. ill just try to keep the thoughts at bay. if im gonna think about suicide, then be it, too. i WILL try to prevent it, though... as much as i could care.

i couldn't bear the medication (physically) and i couldn't open up and trust my psychiatrist and speak of my problems, i can't get very intimate with people and im very antisocial and introverted. I don't have a problem with this unless i actually wanted to get help again. probably could have some sort of antisocial disorder, not that i care.

i feel i could have add because having just entered college, whenever i try to do anything for any time longer than 15 minutes (or thinking it'd take more) i can get very anxious and start breathing really unevenly and think wrong. but that's just me self-diagnosing.

here's hoping people can understand what i typed or i'll have to spend time and make it understandable for your average human

countdown until i delete this post unknown

Same here, Phantasia, I was diagnosed with GAD but changed psych and was diagnosed with OCD, depression, and social anxiety. I 'knew' I had OCD for years, there was no term better apt to describe what I was going through. But even though it reached a point where I couldn't leave the house, I've gotten used to it. It's just another part of me to deal with. Most of my rituals now are subconscious and it isn't ruining my life so I can deal. I guess the fact I'm loaded up with Prozac these days is supposed to be helping...

I don't know anything much about ADD but that sounds more like panic attacks to me, are panic attacks part of ADD? idk

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
I used to get "panic attacks" doing "stuff I couldn't do" as kid, but scarcely. the feeling is exactly the same. I don't know if it's panic or something else, but it's distressing.

Like, for example, in that very short time of my life I didn't know how to tie my shoes...? Well, that same asphyxiating feeling came over me every time I tried. until I had someone quietly explain it to me, and thoroughly. what a relief that was. every now and then when I'm tying my shoes I still remember those few dark days I actually tried to tie them. yeah I walked with untied shoes a lot.

I also used to get them in the first semester~ or so of highschool or something when I had to do research and stuff and never knew if my lame, self-denominated-as-halfassed work would be enough. until I got "over it" and only did important homework hastily to avoid the multitude of feelings I used to get. I barely did homework through HS. There is like one or more occurences where I get the feeling but I'm not gonna bore more people with it.

oh yeah you know what's worse of having depression? I never know if I'm blaming crap of myself or if I'm seriously afflicted by something. Like what I just said above, its probably me being a lazy fuck for my whole life.

jumpluff said:
I've gotten used to it. It's just another part of me to deal with. Most of my rituals now are subconscious and it isn't ruining my life so I can deal.
This is basically 75% of my first post but shorter.

edit: vF reminded me, a battery/test/whatever I once took hinted that I MIGHT be autistic. which wouldn't surprise anyone, tbh.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've said I was autistic. By the time I was 15 it gradually changed into something that was part of who I am and not part of life that I just had to deal with. Some things that come naturally to most people didn't to me, and the few people that wanted to help me learn didn't know how.

Some people are gonna say that the school system shouldn't accommodate for the kind of kid I was, and that's crap. Taxpayer money goes into teaching children, and even in America where the true point of school is to fit neatly into the workforce that isn't accomplished just by telling autistic kids to try harder.

I didn't know how to take notes or study, didn't pay attention in class, and when I got perfect scores on tests any teacher just assumed I was cheating.

My parents, who when I was 10 admitted that I was smarter than they were, never made my life easier by acting irrationally and backing up their arguments with violence rather than reasoning. I'll admit that at 13 years old I didn't know all the reasons a parent would make certain decisions, but they didn't know the reason they did things half the time either.

My brother is 13 and normal, and they are raising him as if he's autistic (or at least, as if he was me). They feel like if they just pamper him that he'll educate and discipline himself, and he doesn't. They aren't even the black sheep in the family either.

For some reason mental illness seems to be common amongst message board frequenters. I suppose the internet is a safety net of some sorts, especially for people with anxiety disorders?

Personally, the closest thing I have had to a mental illness was being (mis)diagnosed with asperger's when I was younger. I was gifted, but for some reason abruptly had poor marks. A child psychologist diagnosed me with asperger's as an explanation, despite me having a healthy social life up until that point (and to this day). At worst I ignore social convention at times, but I'm completely self-aware. The next year my marks returned to normal and that whole scenario was completely ignored. It does seem a bit strange as to why my marks fell off though. I don't recall trying harder the next year, either.

I've always had a fascination with mental disorders, as well. When I was 16, as bizarre as this is, I wanted to have one myself. All the greatest geniuses seem to have mental disorders and I wanted to count myself amongst them. I generally enjoy the unusual, obscure and mysterious, hence my keen interest in mental illness. I sort of grew out of that phase: I prefer being generally well adjusted. However, I still have a tendency to be turned on by crazy girls. Crazy girls that are genuinely hot in their own right are irresistible to me. It's an unfortunate fetish.

I'd say that, along with the internet being a huge haven for the mentally ill and self proclaimed 140+ IQ's, mental illness goes up in frequency with every generation thanks to genetic drift. We do, after all, have the most polluted gene pool of any animal (probably ever).

Vonfiedler YOU'VE said you're autistic or have you been diagnosed? I think it'd be pretty outrageous to self diagnose with affirmation like that...nevermind letting it become part of who you are. Your parents saying that you were smarter than them when you were a kid is not a diagnostic criteria.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I've said I've been diagnosed too.

Of course it's part of who I am. I can't deny that it exists. Learning basic human interaction doesn't mean I'm cured of autism when the rest of my senses are still extremely atypical.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I've said I was autistic.
As in, I've said I was on autistic on this forum before. Now when I say I've said I was diagnosed, as in, on this forum before. Why does it fucking matter whether I say I was diagnosed or not? You were being presumptuous is all.

OHHH I misunderstood. I thought you were saying "I've said it my whole life"...

People say they have all kinds of things, I'm a skpetic. Deal with it I guess.

@Ivar: That was a highly PROFOUND STATEMENT. I have a (mild) mental illness and a very high IQ, and one other person I know who claims to use Smogon has OCD and an IQ of 149.

For some reason mental illness seems to be common amongst message board frequenters. I suppose the internet is a safety net of some sorts, especially for people with anxiety disorders?
Kind of. Anxiety and depressive disorders are correlated with intelligence, and frequent internet use tends to be higher among the intelligent.

Obsessives also tend to love things like Pokemon for pastimes, hence their presence here will be even more strongly correlated.

I have various Aspergers/autistic symptoms, but I've never had enough of a problem with them that they have been diagnosed as the condition. It's a spectrum, after all, so I'm just slightly higher on it than most, but not as much as many diagnosed autists.

Kind of. Anxiety and depressive disorders are correlated with intelligence, and frequent internet use tends to be higher among the intelligent.

Obsessives also tend to love things like Pokemon for pastimes, hence their presence here will be even more strongly correlated.
Also a game such as competitive Pokemon is almost certain to attract more intelligent people because of the strategic thought involved in it.

Would having numerous ticks which sort of go in loops(never more than two at a time) be symptoms of any mental illness or is it indicative of dealing with stress and reality poorly? I've always been fairly anti-social and since fourth grade have had ticks such as neck-jerking, jaw-stretching, widening my eyes at random, making high-pitch noises by sort of humming and others that I can't remember at the moment. I've managed to hide most of them relatively effectively, but they still have an effect on my social interactions. Just want some input on the matter.

My mums friend has tics and twitches and also has (fully controlled) bipolar disorder. However, it is often nothing to worry about: they can often be a nervous reaction. I have a twitch about once a day where I shiver and jerk quickly. Though I do have an anxiety disorder...

I have a mild-ish case of Aspergers, although it is very much something I grew to live with. Even the person I was a year ago would be barely recognisable next to the person I am today. However my Aspergers is also very strong in some areas, while others I have learned to deal with. The most obvious example is I CANNOT take subtle hints. An ex-friend of mine actually left me over this, cause she was sick of me not being able to take her "hints" or understand why I'd annoyed her this time.

Another time, four-ish years ago at my old school, we were doing group work in maths class. To give a bit of backstory, I used to regularly correct my teacher in class, once going as far as to create and prove a formula for Egyptian Fractions that proved HALF of her answers wrong. Anyway, as you can tell I was quite far ahead of this class, so when we were forced to do group work the rest of my group, vicious sharks that they were, deliberately wouldn't let me take part in it, just to frustrate me. Wouldn't listen to me telling them how to do it or anything. Eventually they fucked up horrifically and told me to do the work. It was a geometry thing and I got my drawing out by about two degrees, but this was not acceptable to the rest of the group who immediately started taunting me. I spoke to the teacher, mentioning how I hated group work and she said "Well you have to do it," and I said "But I have Aspergers, I really struggle with it, to which she replied (wait for it):

"Are you just gonna use that as an excuse all your life?"

Needless to say my parents and I were fucking disgusted. We wrote to the headmaster, who refused to apologise. The teacher also refused to apologise. This is at a fucking GRAMMAR SCHOOL. You know, the top ones. Where they're supposed to have pride in their gifted students and help them work, not tell them they're using Aspergers as a fucking excuse. My new school is far better, it even has teachers informed I'm gifted/Aspergers and they have to plan the parts of the lesson involving me accordingly. That said I made a complete fuck up of my GCSEs in the process, but that's cause I just didn't work til it was too late.

I know Aspergers doesn't count but I'm just showing how reactions to it can be horrifyingly stupid.

I have also been diagnosed with aspergers, though I have very little idea what it actually constitutes in terms of symptoms. I would like to ask you guys here about what the main symptoms are, as quite a few of you also have it, so I feel that this would be a good place to ask. Another thing is that I have met someone (a police officer actually) who has a daughter with aspergers too and said that he is amazed I still go to public school, as his daughter goes to a private "special" school (I know that the terminology leaves a lot to be desired) as she couldn't cope with public school and is much different to the way I am, leaving me to think that either one of our diagnoses could be wrong.

Anyway, I might as well give you some background on me whilst I'm here. I was diagnosed at the end of Year 4 at school (iirc Grade 5 in america) at the request of my schools counsellor, though she wasn't really a counsellor and I to this day am still not entirely sure as to her actual job. I do very well at academic subjects at school but I struggle with anything creative due to a lack of creativity and a generally bad work ethic on my part. I am also awkward socially and do struggle making friends. I also cannot pick up on subtle hints, the same as Annhialator Zero. Another thing I have been told, by various individuals including some of my teachers that I have a high IQ and that I would be able to easily get all A/A* GCSE's if I could simply apply myself to working in class.

Well, I wrote way more but it got deleted so I will leave it at that. And if anyone does have any specific information regarding aspergers and symptoms it would be greatly appreciated.

There might be a few little things I have. My dad we think is Bipolar because him mood is either really up or really down. I myself have Auditory Processing difficulties, meaning if someone says something to me, my brain may not process it right, and i wont remeber what they said, so I often have to ask people to write it down or repeat things.I make up for it with fabulous Reading Comprehension skills, and take in what I see much better.

I may have a tiny miniscule bit of Autism( or at least thats what my mom told me once), but I refuse to go to a doctor and have this confirmed because I feel I dont need a label on what I am and it doesnt affect my ability to function in life.Also the Autism Spectrum is now too large and may need some scaling back or it wont be seen as a disorder anymore. I had a bit of ADD in high school as well

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm mentally unstable.

Unfortunately that's all I can say, since I can't afford a psychiatrist and I hate "psychologists" above almost everything else ever since… well, certain incident. I'm properly undiagnosed, for lack of a better term.

I've been "diagnosed" so many things by those charlatans that's not even funny. Obsessive, depressive, psychotic, sociopathic… you name it. Hell, one bitch (who I was forced to see by the school's authorities) even said I was an "Aspie" just because I set her house on fire right after she told everyone else that I hear a voice. I mean… really, her comments almost got me expelled. Isn't that unethical? That's what I said and she got fired after that.

I'm not sure I should share any more, so I'll leave it here.

ruf, when I was in primary school my second teacher was determined due to my intelligence and social awkwardness that I had a 'mental condition'. She kept dropping hints whenever she saw my mum, until eventually she got the sack for suggesting a child threw me across the playground was because I was 'socially retarded'.
Yeah, that's what I figured my situation was kind of like. My mom never hid her feelings about this one, and made it clear that she was royally pissed. Although it's pretty weird to think about having been diagnosed with something like ADD, I didn't really give much thought to it as a kid. I'm not sure I even minded being socially weird, and I'm turning out okay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)