Metagame Metagame Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
+ Tapu Lele
I'm missing those sweet Tapu Lele sprites... Anyways, I'll be honest, I have some concerns. Now I'm no big-time team builder or fortune teller, but Z-Trick Hoopa looks like it can put in heavy work against the hyper offense running around the meta right now.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast / Nasty Plot
- Trick

Z-Move Trick with a neutral nature puts Hoopa at 518 Speed (just shy of scarf Keldeo), trading Hoopa's ability to wall-break with Choice sets for a fun late-game sweeper. It's weakness to priority is easily patched up by Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge, who helps it break past walls and create a formidable Psychic-spam core. I'm still working on incorporating it into a team, so let me know if any of you guys pick this up and turn it into something beautiful, I'd love to hear about it.
Psychium-Z can also be used with your psychic stab if you need the extra power instead of the extra speed, too.
Kyurem-Black can run a similar set with Hail(+1spd) w/Blizzard (I went with Bolt Strike and Earth Power in the last spots)

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's already obvious that Toxapex is one of the best defensive threats in the game. Its utility in OU is enormous due to its ability to shut down an insane number of Pokemon and its nearly unprecedented survivability.​

Many teams are already relying on Toxapex as a strong glue which makes their team extremely less weak to many of the top offensive Pokemon. The removal of Toxapex opens up a gap which allows several offensive Pokemon to regain the ability to punch holes in the opposing team.

Dugtrio @ Lum Berry
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Despite Dugtrio's infamous frailty, Toxapex is so weak that Scald doesn't even come close to killing. However, even with its new Attack buff, Dugtrio barely 2HKOs "standard" Toxapex (max defense), after Rocks, and only has a chance to 2HKO if no hazards are up. This seems impractical on paper, but remember that Toxapex is usually the U-turn and Knock Off switch-in.

Is this Dugtrio's best set? Most certainly not. You're sacrificing Sash or Band to take out one mon. But Toxapex's ability to shut down half of most teams makes it worth consideration - I would be surprised if Toxapex was not consistently in A rank in the OU viability rankings. Of course, if Shuca Berry Toxapex rises in popularity, then this set should not be used.

(By the way, Pursuit isn't really an option to remove Toxapex. CBTar Pursuit [which is max Adamant, of course] does 23% max if Toxapex stays in.)

Last edited:
Ok, can't read too much of the thread without spoiling my ass, so I'll say a few things I do know.

Gengar...man. Hard to believe that this will probably be the first time The Shadow will probably fall below OU..makes me kinda sad. I mean he had no Levitate in the first 2 gens also but there he had a radically different role as a rapid sleep inducer and Hyper Beam/Body Slam/Explosion baiter, as well as being able to blow himself up once his mission is finished. Over the years he evolved into a standard Special Glasson/Spinblocker, but with the loss of Levitate as well as nerf of Destiny Bond....he's gonna be at best BL by my looking. it's an end of an era here.

In better news though, Mimikyu. Saw it's base stats. All of my hugs. ALL OF MY HUGS. Solid typing, pretty good stats(kinda of a bummer Sp.A sucks though especially since they hyped it up in the rap song) but having another good user of Play Rough alongside Azumarill and Mawile is always a plus. back it up with a sweet ability built for scouting and/or setup as well as access to the surprisngly fitting Pain Split attack and Shadow Claw and this sweetheart has the potential to at least be BL worthy. On a side note, it's Pokedex in Sun version is dark as fuck(apparently someone studying one saw it's true form and died from shock and madness from what it witnessed-that's really heartbreaking man.)

be back for more talk after beating the game this weekend.

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Koko and Kartana are fairly simple to play around. Even pheromosa gets hard checked by shit like toxapex
Pheromosa gets checked by like 4 mons (Aegislash, Mantine, Pelipper, Toxapex) in the tier, those are the common answers to it for now anyways. I'll 100% support a Pheromosa ban if Aegislash does get quickbanned since we are losing a check to this beast. Pheromosa has U-Turn so it has a way to escape these mons (unless Toxapex uses Baneful Bunker) and switch out to something that can take advantage of them like Xurkitree or Greninja. Not sure about Tapu Koko and Kartana, but they seem a lil' bit busted and I'll leave it at that.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
King's Shield isn't a complex ban at all. It's literally banning a move exclusive to Aegislash. You are banning a move, the exact same way as to how Swagger got banned. By that logic banning Drought in UU is a complex ban, that counterargument actually doesn't make any sense. Banning Multiscale specifically for Lugia is a complex ban, a blanket ban on Kings Shield is not.
Except King's Shield is only available to 2 Pokémon and only 1 abuses it. Swagger was deemed unhealthy on multiple things so it got booted.

This is like the old "ban Dynamicpunch" argument for PU that never got traction because it was dumb. The problem was clearly Machoke abusing it with No Guard and STAB, not the move itself, hence Machoke was what got banned.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, a few things I've noticed while playing on the ladder:

- Pheremosa is completely and utterly broken (shock!). If you don't have Aegislash or Toxapex, it just wins, regardless of which playstyle you use. If you do have Aegislash, it can still outlast it through successive U-Turns (Toxapex is a lot more complicated becuase of Rocky Helmet). The way it just indisciminately runs through teams is Greninja-esque; heck, it's actually a lot better than Greninja since it outspeeds the entire tier. And Greninja is also busted!

- Aegi is so, so dumb. It's not a ridiculous threat that 6-0s teams like Pheremosa or Greninja, and if you expect to be able to just instantly win with it you're going to be dissapointed. But it's such a ridiculously consistent Pokemon, it's always going to put in work thanks to its ability to take even SE hits and it back hard, and KS is such a great way to get health back too. It's the kind of Pokemon you notice more when you're not using it than when you are. Any team I've used without Aegislash has just felt bad and unprepared. I guess you can use this as evidence towards Aegi being healthy for the tier becuase it checks a load of big threats, but let's be real, we can't just have a Pokemon be completely mandatory on every team, this isn't ORAS Ubers. Better to ban Aegi alongside the broken stuff it checks imo.

But I'm probably salty against Aegislash because jesus christ, those Shadow Ball SpD drops are ridiculous. Aegi already outclasses Jirachi as a Steel-type bulky glue, there's no need for it to outclass it as a haxlord too.

- Genesect is probably more balanced than Aegi, but it's still a very annoying thing to deal with. Spamming U-Turn until you can clean with either of your 4 other moves is an extremely consistent strat, and that's just talking about the Scarf set, which is the only set people seem to be using, unsurprisingly.

- Tapu Koko is incredible. Again, no surprise here. I'm constantly shocked by how much Thunderbolt does, and how helpless most teams are against it. The metagame might adapt to it, but as it stands, it's pretty insane and just way too effective against way too many teams.

- I haven't seen or used much of Tapu Lele, probabaly becuase of Aegislash. The metagame really isn't kind to it right now though, I'm pretty sure it'll be a lot more impressive in a few months.

- Tapu Bulu is very good, altough not too overwhelming on its own. But much like Lele, the fact that Bulu is mostly balanced may be due to how fast-paced things are now. Wood Hammer's recoil is actually a pretty big deal for it : even though in theory, it's the perfect way to take advantage of Lando-T, in practice, it pretty much kills itself by hitting it. I have actually used Horn Leech more often than Wood Hammer becuase, most of the time, everything on the opposing team takes a ton from Horn Leech anyway.

Now, Tapu Bulu's ability, on the other hand, is outstandind, and it's worth using on a team just for that. It may only last for a few turns, but that's well enough to give its teammates a sizeable amount of recovery. It especially pairs well with Aegislash, Heatran and Vincune which just get so much recovery back from it.

- Kartana hasn't impressed me too much so far, but once again, this is probably because of every other team having Aegislash on it. Even so, I haven't seen it do all that much even vs teams that don't have Aegi. I have been caught off-guard by Scarf a few times, but that's honestly pretty easy to play around once you know it's choiced.

- Xiurxtree isn't too overwhelming either imo, even when using Stall. Its bulk is just not very good, and without a Scarf, it just can't threaten offense at all. Once again, I have been caught off-guard by Scarf, and I almost got swept by SubSalac one time, but overall, this thing should not be considered for a suspect just yet.

- Buzzwole's pretty cool. Aegi is a bit of an issue for it, but you don't lose too much by running EQ over Superpower on bulky sets, especially since Superpower kinda sucks nd hitting Toxapex is a nice bonus. Beast Boost has come in handy surprisingly often, it's able to use that attack boost more often than you'd think, since it lives hits no one expects it to like Latios Psyshock. Leech Life is really, really good for it, since not only can it tank hits people expect to KO it, but it can also get its health back in the process. It's also one of the best Pheremosa switchins, which is pretty important atm. Solid mon overall

- Nobody knows what the fuck to do with Guzzlord. Every set I've seen has been completely awful. That doesn't mean the mon itself is awful, but it does mean that, if it does have a role, it's a very, very unconventinal one that players are having a very difficult time finding.

- Speaking of UBs with unconventional roles, I'm really shocked at how good Celesteela is. This thing can be a massive pain for offensive and even more bulky teams due to the combination of its amazing defensive typing and good type coverage. Although it doesn't have recovery, it does set itself apart from Skarmory by the fact that there are only a handful of things that can both reliably switch into it and beat it. Earthquake is amazing for it because it hits Electric- and Fire-types, aka the 2 types it's weak to, super effectively, and Flamethrower rounds off the coverage very nicely. It even has the option to run Giga Drain for Rotom, or Stone Edge for Thundurus and YZard. Heavy Slam is just a powerful move in general, and while I thought Leech Seed wouldnt be useful, it increases Celesteela's longevity a ton. Plus, this thing does actually have very good bulk and can hold its own without reliable recovery. It has an impressie amout of staying power, which also makes Beast Boost superb on it. I honesly don't think there's ever been any Pokemon quite like Celesteela. Bulky attackers so often fail to have any real function in OU, but this thing has pretty much perfected the role somehow. Watch out for it, it's gonna be a top threat.

- I've seen about 15 Battle Bond Greninjas, and only one of them ever activated. So Battle Bond is just a handicap as far as i'm concerned. I actually think Battle Bond Greninja would be balanced in OU, unlike Protean, but I'm not sure if we're going to seperate formes.

- I haven't used Magearna much (mainly becuase Aegi is kinda just better), but when I have, it's always been amazing. Takes hits extremely well, hits back pretty hard, and Volt Switch is just fantastic. It's bascially a mini-Aegislash, and although I really don't want such a useful glue to get banned, it could be a bit too much for the tier for the same reasons Aegi was and still probably is.

- Finally, one big thing I noticed is how massively significant the burn nerf is. Reducing burn damage from 1/8 to 1/16 really, really matters a lot in many ways. Not only it it a lot harder to wear down poison-immune mons like Toxipex, Skarm and especially Ferrothorn, but it's also pretty important for offensive Pokemon. Keldeo has a much harder time wearing Latios down, for instance. Heck, I even remeber a scenario where I burned a Garchomp with my Sableye, and I thought I was done with it. I was shocked to see it continue boosting to +4 and threaten to KO my Sableye, and I had no idea how to respond to that. If burn had dealt 1/8th per turn, it wouln't have been able to boost up and still attack since it would've run out of turns. But with burn damage down to 1/16, it could totally do that. So yeah, burn nerf is really, really huge, and players are going to have to really re-ealuate how they use and respond to burns now.

Last edited:
K. As a nooby OU player, I can say that Porygon-Z is amazing. I've been spamming these two mons and it gets me to decent ladder (around top 100... prob still not that decent actually :/). Who needs Genesect or Pheromosa to sweep? Here's the two mons that I've been using.

+
+ a bulky pivot or something

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes
- Play Rough

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 44 Def / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Conversion
- Recover
- Ice Beam

Basically set up Reflect + Light Screen, either let Klefki die or switch to a bulky pivot, THEN try to set up with Porygon-Z. +1 Adaptability Thunderbolt 1HKOs many things as it's insanely strong. Why do I suggest Recover? Because the +1 in defenses AND Reflect + Light Screen makes you bulky so Recover is a really useful tool. What if your opponent uses Defog? You are still quite bulky.

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 135-160 (43.4 - 51.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO

248 Atk Choice Band Genesect Extreme Speed vs. +1 0 HP / 40 Def Porygon-Z: 105-124 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Look at that. A max EV'd Shadow Ball from a 150 SpA mon barely 2HKOs you AND you're not getting 2HKO'd by Band Genesect's Exteremespeed. Meanwhile...

+1 252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 214-252 (66 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You 2HKO it. So basically you win 1v1 vs Aegislash

The EV spread is designed just enough to outspeed Pheromosa while gaining a little bulk (you can't outspeed Pheromosa if you go Modest btw) AND for Genesect to not get a Download boost on Attack so that you got hit less by Extremespeed.

Ofc there are many cases in which this doesn't work. In case this doesn't work, add Landorus I on your team. With Klefki support, it can also set up Rock Polish and hit hard enough to sweep.

In the Toxapex discussion there was a lot of question about if its solid defenses and regenerate would be enough to make up for its lack of options in terms of actually threatening opposing Pokemon with damage. Will it be a reliable staple in OU? Or set up bait? I really hope its the former.
Would the use of the move Haze help with this concern on Toxapex?

It's already obvious that Toxapex is one of the best defensive threats in the game. Its utility in OU is enormous due to its ability to shut down an insane number of Pokemon and its nearly unprecedented survivability.​

Many teams are already relying on Toxapex as a strong glue which makes their team extremely less weak to many of the top offensive Pokemon. The removal of Toxapex opens up a gap which allows several offensive Pokemon to regain the ability to punch holes in the opposing team.

Dugtrio @ Lum Berry
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Despite Dugtrio's infamous frailty, Toxapex is so weak that Scald doesn't even come close to killing. However, even with its new Attack buff, Dugtrio barely 2HKOs "standard" Toxapex (max defense), after Rocks, and only has a chance to 2HKO if no hazards are up. This seems impractical on paper, but remember that Toxapex is usually the U-turn and Knock Off switch-in.

Is this Dugtrio's best set? Most certainly not. You're sacrificing Sash or Band to take out one mon. But Toxapex's ability to shut down half of most teams makes it worth consideration - I would be surprised if Toxapex was not consistently in A rank in the OU viability rankings. Of course, if Shuca Berry Toxapex rises in popularity, then this set should not be used.

(By the way, Pursuit isn't really an option to remove Toxapex. CBTar Pursuit [which is max Adamant, of course] does 23% max if Toxapex stays in.)
I don't know if that's actually worth it.

252 Atk Jolly Lum Dugtrio actually runs a huge (~68%) risk of missing the 2HKO thanks to Baneful Bunker letting Toxapex recover HP via Black Sludge, which he can do twice.

Turn 0: Whatever/Baneful Bunker (not useful in our calculation, but it lets him passively recover off low U-Turn damage or completely recover from SR/1 Spike Layer Damage - he's recovered up 12% by the end of this turn).
Turn 1: EQ/Scald. Black Sludge Recovery (6%)
Turn 2: Whatever/Baneful Bunker. Black Sludge Recovery (6%)
Turn 3: EQ/Scald. EQ only has about a 33% chance to KO here. Scald will definitely KO here.

If for whatever reason Toxapex isn't carrying Baneful Bunker, it's probably carrying Toxic Spikes, meaning Duggy probably already used up Lum Berry just coming in. This means you'd have to factor in Scald's burn chance in the overall success - and after Burn Chance and Black Sludge recovery, there's only a 45% chance he lands the 2HKO.

It actually gets a bit worse too. Some Toxapex's have started running Liquidation (for the guaranteed Def drops, making easy Pursuit bait) over either Scald or their Utility move.

0 Atk Toxapex Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 218-260 (103.3 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I like Dugtrio, but I don't know if he's the answer to Toxapex's.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Could one of the tiering leaders write up a short explanation that details why some mons were unbanned and some not? Why was Mega Kangaskhan passed over? Why was Genesect unbanned, of all things?

I'm happy that Mega Mawile is back though.
Sure!

Blaziken and Mega Blaziken were determined to be too powerful for the OU metagame as the former has been in the past two generations to a fairly blatant extent and the latter was last generation, too. The fact that they're both already very capable attackers and sweepers on both sides of the spectrum in conjunction with one of the best abilities for offensive Pokemon of this nature -- Speed Boost -- makes it so that both of these Pokemon are too much for the OU metagame in the eyes of the council as there is minimal defensive counterplay, especially when it comes to counterplay that would be viable on offensive teams as you cannot revenge kill Blaziken w/ a faster Pokemon/scarf user due to Speed Boost making them quicker, Talonflame is no longer viable, and a majority of priority moves not being very effective against Blaziken.

Darkrai's Dark Void now only hits 50% of the time, which is a noteworthy nerf. With this said, it is still fast, strong, versatile to an extent, and very much capanle of being a menace in terms of overall offensive presence. The council determined that it would be ideal if Darkrai to start in Ubers, but nobody is 100% ruling out the return of Darkrai (via a retest) at a later point in time, perhaps when the metagame is settled, but only time shall tell. For now, it is best that Darkrai resides in Ubers due to the aforementioned.

Deoxys-A and Deoxys were pretty universally agreed upon as Ubers, but Deoxys-S and Deoxys-D lingered in OU last generation and were worth discussing. Deoxys-S and Deoxys-D have been dropped into OU the past two (maybe three? idk, I wasn't around way back then) generations and the general consensus of council members was that they were quite clearly banworthy back then and that there was very little reason, if any, that this would change during generation seven and, therefore, it would be completely unnecessary for either of these Pokemon to start in OU this generation.

Mega Gengar was blatantly broken due to Shadow Tag in conjunction with the Speed, Special Attack, and movepool that it had at its disposal. There was no doubt here from anyone that Shadow Tag and all it brought to the table was too much for any OU metagame and that should go without saying.

Mega Kanga, which I do touch on below in some depth (as I started this section of the post afterwards and I want to keep that in there for the sake of the poster who I'm quoting), did get Parental Bond nerfed, which makes it going back to OU a legitimate prospect. With this said, it still has 200 damage Seismic, a strong array of attacks, and enough going for it overall that the council believed that it was best to start in Ubers, but perhaps fall back into the OU tier later on via a retest if we deemed it was worthwhile once the metagame settled.

Mega Lucario was pretty insane last generation and I think there was communal agreement on the fact that this thing was far too good for OU back then and the combination of speed, power, and ability upon mega evolving with new mega mechanics makes it not worth dropping into OU because it's far too good.

Lunala and Solgaleo were the only SM Pokemon the council determined were good enough to be sent straight to Ubers. Both of them were incredibly strong and good given what we knew about them and we believed that it would be in the best interest of the tier to start them in Ubers as opposed to OU.

Mega Salamence was OU for a very brief stint and will never grace the OU tier again given how potent it was.

Shaymin-Sky is far too fast, (practically speaking) strong/offensively effective due to movepool and serene grace, and generally problematic to let back into the OU tier, so it will be in Ubers.

In regards to what we dropped down...

Aegislash was very split and controversial and I will get on to my personal opinion on it in the tier at length later on in this post, but we decided to let it start in OU because it was only out for one generation and there was a chance that it wouldn't be nearly as bad this generation as it was deemed to be last. Therefore, we believed that it was for the best that it was given the benefit of the doubt due to us not wanting to potentially overlook what could be a legitimate addition to the tier. This was contested and there were two sides to it, but it's currently in the tier and lots of attention is being given to it, so rest easy if you're worried about it.

Genesect was deemed banworthy the past two generations, but it spent a substantial amount of time in the OU tier throughout each of them and we didn't want to necessarily be pre-mature with relegating it to Ubers because of this, especially since there are at least a handful of decent checks/counters from past generations out there that are somewhat viable, but it was still somewhat controversial and it will be looked into closely now that it's in the tier.

Greninja was deemed banworthy at the start of ORAS when it got an expanded movepool (Low Kick, Gunk Shot, etc.), but it was only usable and banned in one generation and it made it through half of it without a suspect or ban, despite having a lesser movepool, so the council believed it deserved to start in OU and we will pay attention to it.

Hoopa-Unbound was only introduced and, eventually, banned from OU during the mid-late stages of ORAS and it would be entirely pre-mature to start it in Ubers because it wasn't that ridiculous, despite insane offensive presence, as it had some factors holding it back such as speed and physical bulk, so we will start it in OU and monitor it.

Landorus lingered in OU despite having Sheer Force for a fair amount of time in generation five and it also lasted for a while in generation six, but it got banned in both. With that said, we determined that it was not overpowering to the extent that it should simply start out banned this generation as there is some counterplay out there that's very much viable, so we started it in OU to see if it happened to be more reasonable this generation, which we will keep an eye on.

Mega Mawile was very strong last generation and it was banned after some time, but with things like Toxapex now in the tier and other walls like Landorus-T and Mega Scizor potentially being troublesome, we determined that it wouldn't be too crazy in the tier and that we should drop it for the start and then gauge how it was in the new metagame seeing as it was only banned once in the past and there are things now holding it back that weren't there or weren't as common previously.

Mega Sableye was barely banned in a controversial suspect last generation, Prankster was nerfed, and it is in no way overpowering to any extent, so it was easily agreed upon as something that should drop back into the OU tier.

Soul Dew was nerfed to only boost Psychic and Dragon by 1.2, so it in no way was banworthy.

Swagger and confusion in general were nerfed this generation and, therefore, we believed that it should be retested. TDK is thoroughly enjoying Swagger being allowed as it is the only strategy he can employ that might have a chance at actually winning games. Sadly, for him, that chance is now down from 50% per confusion to 33%!

Hope that clarifies everything for you and everyone else wondering why we decided upon things in the fashion that we did. For those who haven't seen, the banlist is here for SM OU!

---------

Genuine question: will Kangaskhanite be looked at?
It's certainly not 100% locked in the Ubers tier for the entirety of this generation, but right now the council believes that it is best off starting in the Ubers tier and we will not be retesting anything until we have rid the tier of everything banworthy in the first place, if we happen to at all.

After the Live Tour and doing some laddering/spectating, I've got some observations!

Aegislash is still as ridiculous as it seemed from the start. Surprise surprise. With the presence of King's Shield, a strong Ghost STAB, the shield and blade forms and their convenience, and the overall impact of the defensive typing w/ the bulk of the shield form, Aegislash is not only broken, but it's unhealthy and incredibly restrictive on the growth and development of the new metagame. I think focusing on the fact that it's broken/unhealthy is more important to analyzing how it might slow-down the metagame because those are conventional means of determining that something is banworthy and we never really tier for the sake of restricting things/unrestricting them (or if we do, it ties more directly into a root cause of being unhealthy -- basically, let's look at this like any other Pokemon we would suspect). The counters are really few and far between - Mandibuzz is non-existent, AV Tang works, most dark types don't appreciate flash cannon/sacred sword (but they're usually quicker and can come in on Shadow ball once or twice, so they can be counterplay), and there's not much else that you really have seen much in the early stages (sure, there's more that will become common and the metagame is yet to unravel, but those things aren't exactly the best at countering Aegi either if history proves itself correct). Additionally, the nature of Aegislash in general simply isn't very healthy thanks to King's Shield in conjunction with the form changing ability -- any Pokemon with such a unique typing and solid STAB can abuse this to the extent that it'd be controversial and Aegislash does it incredibly well. All in all considered, Aegislash is the biggest, or at least one of the biggest, threats in the tier and it's certainly banworthy.

Pheromosa is incredibly overpowering to the extent that you either have 1 of the 2 checks or you probably are losing a Pokemon to it. It is essentially an offensive Deoxys form in terms of Speed and Attacking stats and then it also gets STAB u-turn and enough coverage to get by against everything bar Aegislash, which will find its way out, and Toxapex. Obviously, having such limited counterplay inherently restricts teambuilding and is unhealthy for the tier. On a more direct note, this makes Pheremosa quite broken. I mean, really, it has 137/137/151 offensive stats w/ HJK, U-turn, Focus Blast, and Bug Buzz as legitimately good STABs on both sides of the spectrum and then it gets Ice Beam to hit Lando-T/Gliscor and PJab to hit fairy types (it 2HKOs or OHKOs all of them because Pheromosa is so ridiculously strong). The only thing stopping it from essentially running the tier right now is the fact that Aegislash is one of the few things more common than it and Aegislash walls it to hell and back thanks to its typing and bulk. In addition, Beast Boost makes it essentially incapable of being revenge killed by non-priority when facing offense as, once it gets a kill, nothing outpaces base 151 speed at +1 in terms of choice scarf users or normal revenge killers. Overall, this thing is blatantly broken.

Landorus is still (probably) too good for OU. I mean I guess this was fairly predictable seeing how strong it is w/ Sheer Force and how it has done in the OU metagame for the past two generations, but there are very few, if any, actual counters to it being used right now while it is overwhelming everything it hits offensively, more or less. There's a very slight degree of 4MSS on the SR (or RP) variants, but that's far from the end of the world considering it still hits a vast majority of things in the tier. I don't know if this is good enough necessarily to go immediately from the tier, but I can't see it staying for incredibly long, to be quite honest, unless some form of legitimate, consistent counterplay pops up beyond just one check/counter you find occasionally here and there (see: random Zapdos/Mandibuzz/SDef Rotom-W). Overall, Landorus is pretty much the epitome of 'broken' by the definition of the word -- there's limited counterplay, it hits very hard to the extent that it overpowers a fair amount traditional pivots/walls (but there aren't many "walls" being used currently, bar the few stall teams here and there, which are noteworthy to an extent), and it makes you either face being vulnerable to it or running one of a few, potentially blatantly inconvenient Pokemon in order to keep it in check.

Tapu Koko is very strong and potentially overpowering, but it's still a bit early to pass conclusive judgement on it. Electric Terrain, being summoned immediately by the ability Electric Surge, makes it incredibly hard-hitting w/ STAB electric moves and then there's coverage (HP Ice mainly although GK is viable and ofc STAB DGleam is fine, too, but not as common as HP Ice in my observations. Also, Brave Bird hits AV Tang and Mega Venu surprisingly hard off of solid Atk). I have seen it do so well on a consistent basis so far w/ CM, Specs, and LO sets, pretty much, but it's still fairly raw and the defensive counterplay of the metagame that might come into play vs it is pretty much Mega Venu, the occasional AV Tang, and the rare Hippo, which is at least something, so maybe the metagame will adapt well to it in the coming days, but it's definitely something that will be controversial and worth keeping an eye on as time elapses.

Genesect is, once again, a top tier thread and has potential to be banworthy. I mean it's been the powerhouse, conventionally broken Pokemon of the past two generations, more or less. It has an insane movepool with download and great offensive stats (only held back a bit by base 99 speed thanks to Espeed and solid defensive typing). I thought it might struggle to gain traction initially because everything else around it was quicker, but strong Espeed, being a fairy resist w/ 'decent' (not glass cannon level, at least) natural bulk, and having pretty much everything at its disposal ranging from U-turn to mixed breaking coverage, it is just as potent as ever, pretty much. I'm not sure if it's one of the top 2-3 Pokemon in the tier or simply among the top tier of like a dozen Pokemon because it's truly hard to gauge specifics at this point, but, outside of Heatran, Mantine, Pelipper, and Toxapex (it doesn't run TBolt 90% of the time @ last 3), there aren't many counters to it at all, but there are a few situational checks such as Aegislash and various physical walls can potentially check the banded variant, I suppose. With that said, it is versatile and can really screw a team over in the long haul or devastate a team in the short-term depending on the match-up and Genesect variant. I reckon that those who are unsure about Genesect's strength in the current metagame will find it to be as I describe it above moreso when balance and bulky variants develop in the metagame as I've been using more bulky teams throughout the past day than the average player and I've truly noticed the devestating nature of Genesect as a Pokemon in the metagame as a byproduct of this and observing others counterplay to it when using non-HO teams. With that said though, Genesect isn't even one-dimensional in terms of effectiveness -- it can do work against offense w/ Espeed or a free turn/pivot if played well, but that's cutting into more specifics and I'll avoid that for the time being. Overall, my point is that Genesect is very good and everyone should keep an eye on it.

Celesteela, Toxapex, and Mantine are three new or newly buffed Pokemon that are playing a significant defensive role in the metagame that are worth noting. Not because of being banworthy - no, not at all. They're noteworthy because they're all so good right now as defensive pivots or blanket checks/counters to a plethora of common Pokemon in the current metagame. Celesteela has a typing like that of Skarmory, but it provides an actual offensive presence (HSlam, Flame, EQ, etc.), Beast Boost for SDef if it happens to get a kill, Leech Seed, etc.. Toxapex is the wall that we've all dreamed to have in one way or another over the years - counter to so many things out there ranging from Genesect to Pheromosa to Zard-Y while also having support moves like TSpikes and Haze and Regenerator. Finally, Mantine has been around for many generations, but it finally got Roost (!!!) and a noteworthy buff in overall bulk, making it a nice sponge to many common threats in the tier and a very viable Defog user.

Mega Venu is probably one of the most convenient Pokemon/megas to use right now. It makes sense due to all of the fairies being added to the metagame, but, more specifically, it functions as a check to Tapu Koko, which there are very few of. Overall, Mega Venu lost steam later in ORAS, but it certainly regained some viability here due to it being an anti-meta pick of some sort that has scaled up in popularity over the first day or so of SM. I expect to see it linger in the spotlight for a while, but potentially die down as some bans on things it might be checking come into play. Only time will tell, though!

I think this is all I have to say right now in terms of big observations, but I will be back to say more in the near future and I hope everyone is having lots of fun playing of the tier so far! :D

Mantine has been putting in so much work. That extra bulk really helps, standard AegiPhero can't do much to it and it has useful moves like Haze and Defog. Also really feeling Celesteela it is deceptively bulky and can hardstop Aegislash and Tapu Lele. I find myself including those two on pretty much every team as they are just great utility mons and blanket check most of what is popular.

Greninja'D

Last edited:
Marowak-Alola puts in so much work in the pre-bank meta. Pretty much nothing available walls it. Checking threats like Xurkitree, Tapu Koko and Pheromosa is the icing on the cake.

Also, I saw someone using Aegi on the pre-bank ladder, is that allowed? Forgot to save replay unfortunately

Personally, I'd really like to see what Aegislash would be like without King's Shield. We know how strong it is with it, sure, I just feel it's definitely worth *looking* at, at the very least.

Rain's prominence makes me so happy, I love the playstyle a lot, but Freeze-Dry Ninetales-A can hurt so many Swift Swim users. I'm wondering if we'll see it utilised as a counter when the meta settles.
I'm also wondering, if Rain becomes a mainstay in OU, whether Drizzle will be allowed in lower tiers. Admittedly getting a tad ahead of myself but if OU is hogging all the good Swift Swimmers I could see it happening.

Jeeeez, the amount of Aegislash salt. For the record, add Gliscor to the list of Pokemon that can switch in on Aegislash, not give a shit about anything it does, and immediately force it out.

The standard Toxapex wall set will be Scald/Toxic/Recover/Haze. You might run Toxic Spikes over Toxic in stall, but Toxic lets Toxapex win so many 1v1s it wouldn't win otherwise. It takes two Scalds to break a Heatran Substitute. If you do not run Haze on your defensive Regenerator Toxapex, you are asking to get swept. That is all.

On the other hand, I just watched a Merciless Toxapex take out three Pokemon by itself. I believe the set was Baneful Bunker/Scald/Venoshock/Recover w/Black Sludge and it didn't look bad at all. More than capable of crushing a lot of physical attackers.

Rest in Peace, Gengar. You were the best of us. I'm seeing Salazzle run on all teams that would have run Gengar in the past. Part of that is just novelty, and some Gengars will crop up here and there over time, but not, I think, enough to keep it in OU. Cursed Body...FML.

Hydreigon should do a pretty good job crushing Marowak-Alola. It doesn't care much about coming in on Will-o-wisp or Bonemerang/Earthquake, and resistances to Shadow Bone/Flare Blitz let it switch in, take the hit easily, then outspeed and either Roost or nuke the switch-in.

I don't think M-Venu ever really left. People just slept on it for a while due to the prevalence of Talonflame/birdspam, but like Hydreigon, it's a Pokemon that has the stats/resistances/movepool to always stay relevant in the tier.

Albacore noted this as well but Poison status has really been buffed in a sense by the nerfing of Burn. No longer is Burn your primary way of whittling down bulky Leftovers users: in a way, it's an ideal status for them to gobble up now. I can see a lot of scenarios where running Scald will actually hurt you when you accidentally Burn something you wanted to Poison. And for things like Venusaur, Tentacruel, Toxapex that can't be Poisoned? Better hope you have a Salazzle. Big buff to bulky Leftovers-users but also to things that can power through the Burn damage and continue to boost up. Stuff like Conkeldurr or other Guts users taking half damage from burn is huuuuuuuuge.

We may see Knock Off come to greater prominence as a means of denying Leftovers recovery.

Last edited:
Extreme Evoboost will be banned once available, right? Because it's easy to see Eevee switch into something it outspeeds after the boosts, survive a hit because lol focus sash, and Baton pass to, say, one of the Tapus, who are now blowing up everything with Terrain-Boosted attacks.

Personally, I'd really like to see what Aegislash would be like without King's Shield. We know how strong it is with it, sure, I just feel it's definitely worth *looking* at, at the very least.

Rain's prominence makes me so happy, I love the playstyle a lot, but Freeze-Dry Ninetales-A can hurt so many Swift Swim users. I'm wondering if we'll see it utilised as a counter when the meta settles.
I'm also wondering, if Rain becomes a mainstay in OU, whether Drizzle will be allowed in lower tiers. Admittedly getting a tad ahead of myself but if OU is hogging all the good Swift Swimmers I could see it happening.
King's Shield is what truly makes Aegislash that good, if you would drop it not only Aegislash would be limited to 2 sets in my book (Sub + 3 attacks) or Swords Dance, but it make him way too easy to revenge kill / pursuit trap without ability to increase his defences. Do you really want to use something so slow and squishy just after one attack ? One switch on resistance from your opponent (let's say Dark type switch in on Shadow Sneak) and suddenly you are in horrible spot. On Shadow Sneak - as a priority isn't that strong in first place, even after SD. I guess Choice sets and Autotomize are doable, but they don't sound that great as well. In other words Aegislash would practically turn into offensive pivot (and Pursuit weak pivot sounds meh) and for defensive role I would seriously question if Eviolite Doublade wouldn't do better. Eviolite Doublade -_-. Yeah.

If by any chance Aegislash is banned first and rest stay, I guess people may experiment with Eviolite Doublade as replacement as it still has bulk and crapload of resistances. Problem is far less impressive offensive presence.

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Slide

I'm using this set right now, with 4 Speed to outspeed Toxapex, and it seems really underrated right now. 100/100/85 defenses are amazing, and it has decent coverage and attack to hit most Pokemon, and it accumulates defense pretty quickly. Lack of recovery is the only issue right now, as I'm using Tapu Fini to safeguard against status currently. Mudsdale imo will definitely end up as UU, and has the potential to carve itself a niche in OU as well, as a tank.

Last edited:
Extreme Evoboost will be banned once available, right? Because it's easy to see Eevee switch into something it outspeeds after the boosts, survive a hit because lol focus sash, and Baton pass to, say, one of the Tapus, who are now blowing up everything with Terrain-Boosted attacks.
1. Extreme Evoboost is available.
2. You can't have a sash with a Z-crystal.

Also Baton Pass Clause [Which is active on the OU Beta ladder] prevents passing Speed+Another stat. So EvoboostPass is banned anyway.

In other news; I'm finding Necrozma a really good supportive pokemon.

Prisim Armor is just a solid ability; and 97/101/89 defenses makes Necrozma pretty hard to take down; while 127 Sp.Atk means it still hits alright; even without investment.

I'm running more or less a pure support Necrozma with Light Clay, and more often than not it gets up both screens and Rocks and is still going afterwards.

I could see a bulky CM set working out as well, especially as Necrozma has access to recovery.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. My bad then. Speaking of whick, is there any promising Z-Moves right now? It doesn't seem like most mons would just throw away their item for an one-time nuke

Oh yeah. My bad then. Speaking of whick, is there any promising Z-Moves right now? It doesn't seem like most mons would just throw away their item for an one-time nuke
Z-Parting Shot and Z-conversion might see some use. Many offensive Z moves will be used as lures.
Z moves might end up being the Power herb+Geomancy of lower tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)