Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can have S Ranked mons but don't forget to include Mantine and Surskit in the art.
lololol don't want to make it too hard for the artist tho
While the scarier threats could be done biasedly (and really I don't agree with th skarm bit) but if you wanted to put the biggest threats might as well put Mega Medicha breaking through most of the monotypes as that is one of the bigger ones.

Or possibily have like a gumball machine that's filled with monotype balls and it having the most dangerous/viable ones in the little slot where ya get the candy from.
That sounds so cool o.o. But wouldn't the art be extremely big / vertical? I'm thinking of something that's more horizontal.
The Medicham one sounds good, I can see it doing a falco punch to some poor D Ranked Pokemon into the sky with the Home Run Bat Sound (From SSBB)

First thing that comes to mind for me are pretty much Charizard mega x and other flying types, but also stealth rocks for some types.

Edit: Then again, I feel like I see Charizard x in a lot of tiering art so idk :x

Actually I'd prefer art of pokemon that see less use in standard tiers than in mono (diancle and lanturn for example)
But then we'd be conveying the wrong idea to newer players. Art is supposed to sum up the metagame with a picture, and a feel like a picture with a Sceptile wouldn't be doing that x.x

First thing that comes to mind for me are pretty much Charizard mega x and other flying types, but also stealth rocks for some types.
Yeah, since there's so many viable options, that's how i orginally thought of a gigantic brawlfest etc

(also, can someone post this in the Monotype room? I want to get everyone's ideas and I can't get on myself atm :( )

lololol don't want to make it too hard for the artist tho

That sounds so cool o.o. But wouldn't the art be extremely big / vertical? I'm thinking of something that's more horizontal.
The Medicham one sounds good, I can see it doing a falco punch to some poor D Ranked Pokemon into the sky with the Home Run Bat Sound (From SSBB)
Oh sorry I was just throwing the idea out there, wasn't exactly thinking on how big or not it would be (really all depends on how the artist does it and I can't expect it to be larger than the logos for some other threads).

EDIT: God I hate spell check...

Yeah, I like what n64lord said. (Idk how to quote) try getting Pokemon not really seen in Ou but common in monotype, since the tier is starting to differentiate itself from OU now.

Click Reply under the post to do it ^^

Yeah, that sounds cool. These Pokemon would be: Lanturn, Mew (Somewhat), Weezing, Cradily, Suicune, Sableye (Somewhat), Pilowswine etc. How would be put this into something related to a gum ball machine tho?

Yeah, I like what n64lord said. (Idk how to quote) try getting Pokemon not really seen in Ou but common in monotype, since the tier is starting to differentiate itself from OU now.
Huh that could be interesting actually. Have a little circle chart with. Each type getting a cut of the circle and having one of the most common Mons of the type on it and one the more viable but less common on there as well (like say Hippowdon for ground and Krookodile).

Huh that could be interesting actually. Have a little circle chart with. Each type getting a cut of the circle and having one of the most common Mons of the type on it and one the more viable but less common on there as well (like say Hippowdon for ground and Krookodile).
Sounds promising, but wouldn't it get pretty cramped? You'd need 18 slices in the circle chart, and it'd need to be big enough to fit 2+ Pokemon

Edit: I just thought of a possible solution: There's a circle chart, but top tier types like Flying / Water have bigger "slices" while Ghost Types have smaller "slices". I can see a Ghost crying as a Flying Pokemon shoves it off its slice but that's me .3.

Last edited:
Eh its just ideas. 18 slices with a name for the type, it would get cramped easy.

Either or you may have together creative with adding some of the non used Mon there (or you could have like K-W and some Mon playing outside of the pinball machine).

Maybe layers?

The circular part of the gumball machine would take up the whole vertical part of the banner, the top part would have just rough details of D-C rank pokemon, while the lower parts would have more viable stuff. I'll draw a sketch or something

Maybe layers?

The circular part of the gumball machine would take up the whole vertical part of the banner, the top part would have just rough details of D-C rank pokemon, while the lower parts would have more viable stuff. I'll draw a sketch or something
Well with however you decide hope it turns out well then bud.

Empoleon (Water) for B Rank

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA or 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SPD with the Calm Nature.
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar / Yawn / Feather Dance
- Scald
- Defog

EVs make it as bulky as possible letting it live a single hit before phasing the target with Roar.
Feather Dance makes it a slower BulkyRaptor but it's not that useful since Empoleon gets no recovery
Scald is for damage with a chance to burn
Defog is for well, Defogging.
Torrent has to be the chosen ability because Defog + Defiant are incompatible.

Explanation: Empoleon is normally outlooked as an special attacker because too many things outclass it in that role. However, Empoleon gets something that's valued pretty highly in Water Monotypes, a Grass neutrality. It also gets decent bulk (84/88/101) so it can take a couple of attacks before fainting. Lack of reliable recovery hurts it a lot though. Emoleon also has a pretty good supporting movepool. It gets access to Roar, Stealth Rock, Yawn, Feather Dance (If you want to be special), and Defog. Meaning it can be a pseudo Skarmory. Scald actually does a good amount of damage with a chance to burn and cripple the opposing Pokemon. Empoleon also has a pretty disappointing 60 base speed stat, but do not be discouraged, Empoleon can do it's job extremely well with the right support.

Last edited:
If you give me enough time I maybe able to photoshop something nice looking instead of ms painting it if thats what needed

Furfrou for C Rank

Furfrou @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD or 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD with a Careful nature
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Rest
- Cotton Guard
- Return

There's not a lot to this set, you just basically set up to +6 with Cotton Guard then Toxic stall your opponent to death. If you get too low then Rest up.
Return is to make sure you're not Taunt bait, and Return can 3-4HKO anything that doesn't resist it.
Cotton Guard's magical since it boosts your Defense stat by 3 and with Fur Coat it's a little OP. Also, +3 means that you'll set up faster than moves like Dragon Dance / Swords Dance who only give out +1 / +2.
Toxic's the best way to get damage. Too bad that Steel Types and Poison types are immune to it tho.

Explanation: This is essentially pseudo Lugia with a defense boosting move. After a Cotton Guard, almost nothing can break through it physically.

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 139-165 (39.2 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 109-129 (30.7 - 36.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 84-100 (23.7 - 28.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

The best thing is that it gets a nifty 102 base speed so it can waltz right into things like Mega Medicham & Mega Mawile and start to set up.

Why not B / A / S Rank?

Some of you might be asking this: "You make this sound like the god of everything bulky, why not something higher?" The answer is that this is a gimmick at times. W/o Special Defense investment, it's awfully weak to Special moves. Heal Bell and phazing moves like Roar and Whirlwind are common as well making "sweeping" pretty hard. Also, if you're against a Steel / Poison team then Furfrou's basically dead weight (Steel) and that makes it B Rank at best.

Last edited:
If you give me enough time I maybe able to photoshop something nice looking instead of ms painting it if thats what needed
Sounds cool, but I'm thinking of contacting an artist (Andrew maybe? I like his style of drawing). Thanks tho bby <3

Zygarde (Dragon) for B Rank

Zygarde @ Lum Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

This is your everyday Dragon Dance sweeper. Outrage is the only Dragon move it gets, but Dragonite generally outclasses Zygarde because it has an easier time setting up with Multiscale / Higher attack. Lum Berry is for setting up on bulky Rotom-W etc, Extremespeed is for killing faster threats. Standard stuff.

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def or 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD with a Careful nature
Impish Nature
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Dragon Tail

This may be the world's trolliest Dragon Tailer. With its defenses it can easily set up on certain moves, and it outspeeds the most common phazers like Skarmory meaning that it can Dragon Tail first before it Whirlwinds (Coil patches up Dragon Tail's 90% Acc). Substitute is to prevent status, and to prevent crits when you're at +6 or something.

Zygarde @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Dragon Tail
- Extreme Speed

Basically an ExtremeKiller. Stone Edge is to prevent you from being walled by Togekiss, while Dragon Tail prevents you from being phazed out. Earthquake is for things that resist Extremespeed, particularly bulky Steel types. Extremespeed is the most important move since it lets Zygarde move first against threats like Greninja.

Explanation: Zygarde has one thing similar to other 6th Gen Pokemon, reliable recovery. If Zygarde actually got reliable recovery (and a better ability) it'd be able to be ranked higher because it has an excellent movepool + stats. 108 / 121 / 95 defenses are above average, and 100 / 81 / 95 stats are completely usable when you have 2 awesome boosting moves called Coil and Dragon Dance. It gets Extremespeed to nail faster threats like Greninja and Mega Medicham but it's just too hard to set up in the first place. HP Ice + Ice Beam are one of the most common coverage moves meaning that Zygarde will normally be KOed before it can even setup. However, it has plenty of options so you should never overlook Zygarde.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
To be perfectly honest, I don't really get the gumball machine idea. I'm thinking maybe we should pick 2 types that are relatively common (Water and Psychic perhaps?) and then take one pokemon from each type that is iconic for that type and just use the head of that pokemon with maybe a burst in the middle to symbolize their in a battle. The heads could look something like what Anttya showed as an example:

And to make it more monotype related, maybe we could have 2 or three smaller pokemon of the 2 types on the sidelines cheering on the teammate in the battle. I'm in the process of making a rough idea of what I'm talking about, so if my idea isn't clear, hopefully I can get this put together soon so that you all can imagine what I mean.

EDIT: So I did a bit of editing and put this together. Obviously it's not something I'd expect we would use but it's a rough draft of the idea I had. I would have put more pokemon in (I was planning on adding Umbreon on the Dark side and Bisharp on the Steel side), but I decided that what I have is a good enough illustration of my idea. Let me know what you guys think

Last edited:
Basiclly Im gonna agree with the majority, Zard its needed for S Because Drought helps fire so much, and Clefable for S because Its a great pokemon

Kecleon for C Rank. (If not, lower)

Chamomile(Kecleon)(M)@Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpDef
Adamant Nature
-Shadow Sneak
-Sucker Punch
-Return
-Drain Punch/Power-Up Punch

OR you could do this...

Chamomile(Kecleon)(M)@Leftovers
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpDef
Adamant Nature
-Shadow Sneak
-Sucker Punch
-Return
-Recover

Kecleon is very...meh. It's Assault Vest set can let it take a lot of Special attacks due to its high SpDef.
Example: 252 SpA Lucario Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Kecleon: 204-242 (62.9 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Kecleon also has a bit of Attack in it. 90 Attack isn't bad at all. What's interesting is Protean. If you're good at predicting, Kecleon can be great. Protean is a very good type in Monotype since it allows you to be a type that is not your team's. Kecleon's priority moves help it a lot since it allows it to switch types quickly.
You really can't run a Kecleon without priority. It's too slow to do much without it. An opponent's priority beats Kecleon. Also, if your opponent is good at predicting, you're gonna have a rough time.
Kecleon is a very mind gamey Pokemon just like other Protean Pokemon(other Protean Pokemon as in only the Froakie line). Kecleon's stats are quite mediocre. It can do stuff, but it's just not awesome.

Terrakion for S rank.

Terrakion @ Choice Band/Scarf
Ability: Huge Power Justified
EVs: Max speed and attack with 4 HP
Adamant/Jolly depending on your preference
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Poison Jab/Iron Head/X-scissor

This can tear things apart, it takes care of steel, one of rock's biggest problems, and now that aegislash is gone (on steel) he can hit anything for atleast neutral damage, scarf works as an amazing revenge killer and band works as a marvelous wallbreaker.

Terrakion @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Pure Power Justified
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Substitute/Earthquake
-Swords Dance/Rock Polish

It can bluff a scarf set or force something out and then right after set up, and if it does, it can proceed to sweep or wallbreak better than the choiced set, although you need a turn to set up and only 2-3 attack to abuse.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash/Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Prankster Justified
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide

Really fast stealth rocker boasting 108 speed, can stall break with taunt, still has 2 powerful as fuck moves powered up by stab and 129 attack stat, life orb/focus sash is the preferred item here,but leftovers is still viable, it can cripple stuff like skarmory,gliscor,klefki and mew because it has an incredibly fast taunt, and if skarmory is carrying the whirlwind + spikes + Stealth rock + roost set, its taunt bait and most people expect terrakion to be choiced, so skarmory will most likely stay in to scout the choice scarf or band.

Why does this deserve S rank? Its a great wallbreaker,revenge killer,stallbreaker and setup sweeper. Overall its pretty versatile, has really good stats,great unique typing, not only offensively but not too shabby defensively either and not a bad movepool as it can deal with its weaknesses if they are a little damaged already. And lets face it, when talonflame was around, the only chance fighting had against it was terrakion and there is a reason its ou.

Omastar (Rock) for B Rank.

Lord Helix Omastar @ Air Balloon/Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This set is mostly what Omastar should be running on a Rock Monotype. (The Specs set and Hazards lead recommended by Smogon require Rain or isn't really needed on Rock, respectively.) Shell Smash, one of the best set-up moves in the game, is what makes Omastar usable in Monotype. After a Smash, Omastar can effectively pull off a sweep. Surf is the reliable STAB of the set, hitting lots of Ground types for nice damage. Ice beam is also really nice coverage, hitting dangerous Dragons like Garchomp, Dragonite, and Zygarde, as well as troublesome Grass types, like Cradily, Ferrothorn, and Roserade. Hidden Power Grass rounds out the set, getting perfect neutral coverage outside of Shedinja and certain abilities. It also allows Omastar to hit Gastrodon, who would otherwise stop the sweep cold. As for the item, I personally prefer Air Balloon. It provides a nice set-up opportunities against several threats to Rock, most of which Omastar scares out as well. These are a few of the Pokemon that Air Balloon Omastar can shell smash against that Omastar without it can't: Garchomp, Excadrill (without Sand Rush activated), Charizard-Mega-X, Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Mega-Pinsir lacking Close Combat, and Heatran. However, if you can provide a good hazard removal, Focus Sash may be a nice alternative. It can set up in front many new targets, live using the sash, and potentially nab a speed boost with Weak Armor. Sadly, this strategy does need a bit more support, since Omastar extremely prone to priority at lower health.

Other Options:
  • Hidden Power [Fire] may be used over Hidden Power [Grass] to allow Omastar to comfortably 2HKO Mega Scizor, while Mega Scizor can't do too much to Omastar outside of Super Power. However, opting for HP Fire does leave Omastar completely walled by several water types, most notably Gastrodon.
  • Earth Power may also be used over Hidden Power [Grass], hiting Mawile, Magnezone, and Mega Aggron much harder. However, opting for Earth Power leaves you walled by... SURSKIT :D
  • Swift Swim is an exceptional ability to help combat Swift Swim Water Monotypes, but generally, with the decline of SS Water, Weak Armor is more consistent, and Omastar needs all the speed he can get.
  • White Herb is an option to help Omastar take some non-SE priority while trying to sweep, like a fake out or bullet punch, but the other two options seem much more useful tbh.

Omastar, one of the few viable specially offensive Rock types, finds a place on many Rock monotypes because of its typing, access to shell smash, and nice defense and special attack stat. It also has the highest Special Attack stat out of any Rock type, which is definitely scary at +2. This lets Rock get past lots of the bulky physical walls that it would otherwise have trouble with, namely Skarmory, Hippowdon, Gliscor, and bulky Zygarde. Also, its Water typing prevents it from bring weak to Steel, making it a great switch in for Scizor. Offensively, its Water typing gives it extremely useful STAB against bulky ground types. If you can get Excadrill out of the way, Omastar will prove to be amazing against mono ground.

However, Omastar still has its limits. Even at +2, its 55 speed holds it back from outspeeding several scarfers, most notably Keldeo and Garchomp. Because of this, Sticky Web support is greatly appreciated. Before it gets a Shell Smash, Omastar also is prone to being OHKO'd without a focus sash because of its abysmal speed and common weaknesses. If it does have a sash, it becomes vulnerable to priority with -1 defenses. Also, just like many other Shell Smash sets, Omastar often only has one chance to Shell Smash per match. Instead of using Omastar throughout the match, it would be best to use him as a late-game sweeper, dealing with priority users and weakening the opposing team a bit before going for the sweep. Lastly, Omastar ends up being useless against Fighting Monotype due to most mons being able to knock it down to 1% then finish it off with mach punch/bullet punch/fake out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)