Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Actually it's easier to RNG abuse for caught Pokemon than bred ones.
That is not always true. First off, the number of spreads are limited (there are only 3 natures with hex 31). Second, if you are using the Radar (radar only pokes or forcing a different encounter slot) then you will need to hit your delay at least twice (same as breeding), but calibration and execution will take longer. Third, you must pray (or RNG a new save file) that the desired spread is shiny. Yes, going for legends (or other 'easy' captures) is faster, but the harder stuff takes as long or longer.

I'm in Platinum, RNGing Dialga. I can hit the correct time for my spread, and verify it by doing the coin flip thing. The only problem is that my frame is 3215, which is 1606 journal flips for me. I've tried counting out loud, and using the counting app on my Pearl in a different DS. Neither method works; I keep losing count.

I'm considering exiting the Spear Pillar, running around the adjacent cave with repel to advance the RNG, and using other methods to fill in if the steps don't reach 3212 exactly.

I just have three questions. Will the RNG stay stationary if I cycle from the coin flip to step counter app, provided I don't hit the happiness checker app on the way there? Will leaving the Spear Pillar to go into the cave affect the RNG? Also, does opening the menu and bag to use repel affect the RNG?

Okay, this is going to be my first attempt to manipulate the RNG in a 4th gen game. I really need to clear a Wondercard slot for the incoming Jirachi download so that's what I'll go for first. I read the on-site guide but I have some things I want to clarify before resetting.

1) Do I have to worry about timing at all when I'm Journal flipping to advance the RNG? Or is the RNG essentially static when I'm in Journal mode (page flipping aside, of course)? And opening a page that doesn't mention a wild Pokemon capture/defeat doesn't advance the RNG?

2) Is the delay range applicable at all to resetting a Wondercard Pokemon? I didn't see it mentioned in the Wondercard sections but I want to be sure since there seems to be a bajillion more things to keep track of compared to 3rd gen RNG abuse. There's also a delay number in the Seed-to-Time finder application in the RNG reporter - ignore for Wondercard resetting?

3) I still have a wandering Cresselia in my game. Are there any tips on perfecting the "slight pause" necessary to get odd frame spreads? Do I have to be precise enough in my timing to hit a specific frame?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
1) Do I have to worry about timing at all when I'm Journal flipping to advance the RNG? Or is the RNG essentially static when I'm in Journal mode (page flipping aside, of course)? And opening a page that doesn't mention a wild Pokemon capture/defeat doesn't advance the RNG?
Correct.

2) Is the delay range applicable at all to resetting a Wondercard Pokemon? I didn't see it mentioned in the Wondercard sections but I want to be sure since there seems to be a bajillion more things to keep track of compared to 3rd gen RNG abuse. There's also a delay number in the Seed-to-Time finder application in the RNG reporter - ignore for Wondercard resetting?
The delay is always important, because it's part of what determines the seed the game starts with.

3) I still have a wandering Cresselia in my game. Are there any tips on perfecting the "slight pause" necessary to get odd frame spreads? Do I have to be precise enough in my timing to hit a specific frame?
Not really. It's trial and error.

Thanks for the reply, OmegaDonut.

The delay is always important, because it's part of what determines the seed the game starts with.
The way I understand it, the delay in seconds is what partly determines that seed, right? AKA time from reset to reloading the game file. But what exactly is the delay range? The former is typically in the teens while the latter is in the 600s. I guess I'm having trouble discerning the difference between what those two values mean.

When I use the Seed-to-Time finder for a specific seed (say 601502BE), it gives me a list of dates, times and delays. Dates and times are obviously useful but am I supposed to do anything with that delay number (692 in the case of 601502BE)?

Radar question:

My target frame is 1064 for Nidorino.Let's say that i got my chain and advanced the frames.In case i messed up and got 1060 with the same spread on it,will it be nidorino?
I mean 1060s encounter slot is not nidorino but i have a chain.

Also,shall i count the step-in the last patch as a +1 advancement?

Radar question:

My target frame is 1064 for Nidorino.Let's say that i got my chain and advanced the frames.In case i messed up and got 1060 with the same spread on it,will it be nidorino?
I mean 1060s encounter slot is not nidorino but i have a chain.

Also,shall i count the step-in the last patch as a +1 advancement?
Yes, the chain will override the encounter slots, and yes, every movement in grass advances your frames.

Pokeradar DOES NOT guarantee that you will continue the chain. A sparkling patch can contain the incorrect pokemon even after you've calibrated. I've had the following happen to me on 2 different occasions. I hit my seed and radar until I've caught 2 of the target. I check the frame of the 2nd and calculate the necessary page flips. I hit the seed again repeating the steps I did until I start the chain. I do the flips and then surprise! My target spread shows up with the normal encounter slot. The 1st time this happened I had to just start over (stood in a different patch and resaved), but the 2nd time I was able to get the desired pokemon in one of the other sparkling patches. Both times I repeated getting the wrong pokemon to ensure it wasn't a fluke.

EDIT: I'm still unsure what caused this, or why I was able to fix it the 2nd time.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pokeradar DOES NOT guarantee that you will continue the chain. A sparkling patch can contain the incorrect pokemon even after you've calibrated. I've had the following happen to me on 2 different occasions. I hit my seed and radar until I've caught 2 of the target. I check the frame of the 2nd and calculate the necessary page flips. I hit the seed again repeating the steps I did until I start the chain. I do the flips and then surprise! My target spread shows up with the normal encounter slot. The 1st time this happened I had to just start over (stood in a different patch and resaved), but the 2nd time I was able to get the desired pokemon in one of the other sparkling patches. Both times I repeated getting the wrong pokemon to ensure it wasn't a fluke.

EDIT: I'm still unsure what caused this, or why I was able to fix it the 2nd time.
Was the wrong Pokemon still shiny?

Speaking of Pokeradar research, I have a modified version of RNG Reporter that lists the natures of chained Pokemon, for a given spread. It doesn't tell us which frame they land on, though. If you have an emulator with save states (preferably DeSmuMe), you can help test which frames they appear on. I just need your ID\SID and a preferred spread (probably hex flawless), and I'll tell you the natures.

This goes for anyone else reading this, as well.

I'm not releasing my version, though. mingot and I don't really want (at least, I think he doesn't) unofficial modified versions of RNG Reporter floating around in the wild, but some of the changes may be incorporated in the next two releases.

My target spread shows up with the normal encounter slot.
So, yes it had the correct PID and IVs. I wasn't making a mistake with the frame, there are still unknown variables in the radar formula.

EDIT: Which reminds me, I tend to have large inexplicable gaps when I radar abuse. For instance, my previous post's 2nd example was caught on frame 331. The chain started between 230 and 256 (too many viable options), but the next pokemon I caught was on frame 304. Only 3 patches showed up (all sparkling), and I took 2 steps to reach it (4 advancements). How did a 50+ frame advancement happen?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
Wait a second, by sparkling patch you don't mean one with a shiny, do you? Just one that shimmers a little?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
Ah, okay. I was talking about chaining shinies in order to score a hex-flawless Jolly shiny, for example. I can go as far as telling what natures you get for your flawless spreads, but not as far as what frames to get them on. That'll take trial and error in an emulator.

How does weather affect the initial seed? Because I'm trying to abuse for a Beldum (sawrm in route 228) and the coin flips never match any of the nearest delays...
And what if I SR in another Route and then go to Route 228 to abuse for my Beldum? Will that work or getting to another route messes up your frame or the weather still has influence?

I don't really understand the Frame Calibration step, it's kinda confusing. Could someone possibly say it in a way that even an idiot could understand?

I don't really understand the Frame Calibration step, it's kinda confusing. Could someone possibly say it in a way that even an idiot could understand?
Im guessing your talking about Breeding...
Anyways save infront of your Egg
Set your DS to the time and Date of the Seed you have chosen for your desired IV's
Get into the game making sure the Journal pops up, and then press start and mash A to collect the Egg still using the same seed
On your seed click Generate Adjacent Results
Search for the Coin Flips the game gives you
If it highlights a seed click copy seed to clipboard and copy it onto the main part of the RNG Reporter
Then select DPPt Breeding as the Method
Hatch the Egg
Check its IV's
And then enter those IV's into the RNG Reporter
Click generate and on the left it shouls show a frame and find the one that matches the IV's of your pokemon

How does weather affect the initial seed? Because I'm trying to abuse for a Beldum (sawrm in route 228) and the coin flips never match any of the nearest delays...
And what if I SR in another Route and then go to Route 228 to abuse for my Beldum? Will that work or getting to another route messes up your frame or the weather still has influence?
Weather affects the IRNG, which controls coin flips. We don't know how exactly, so its a good idea to go in another route. There are a few other options.

1) Since you can't sweet scent in the Sandstrom, you'll need to pokeradar the patch to get it to appear. The good thing about this is that the pattern of patches that shakes are the same aslong as you use the radar in the same seed while at the same spread (so just battle all the NPCs in the route, and use the radar once in a route without NPCs). So once you see them match, you know you hit the seed.

2) Save in another route. There are a few problems here though. One, you're going to be causin alot of frame advancements, and the NPCs will be moving. Plus you'll still need to radar or get lucky.

Alright, please help. I've been trying to abuse the Pokeradar, but it just seems to be abusing me.

The SEED: 65000711

The spread: (TIMID, ability 1) 30/31/30/31/31/31 HP ICE 70
Appearing on: 716, 726, 728, 730 w/syncer
Pokemon I'm after: Togepi

All moving NPCs have been slain.

I started out w/o a syncer and bumped into this:

370 511 A722A106 Bashful 0 8 5 22 22 29 10 Fire 47FFFF
382 511 A722A106 Bashful 0 8 5 22 22 29 10 Fire 47FFFF

I thought I was on frame 350, but whatever. So that's a difference of twelve. I can deal with that. 716 and 728 are twelve apart.

I adavance the frame by turn and then turn+step until I'm next to the next patch, advancing the frame by 16. Then I use the Journal to advance the frame by 328. I then switch my syncer to the front and take the final turn+step adding two to the frame. 370+16+328+2=716 OR 382+16+328+2=728

The patch I walk into was in fact a Togepi, but not only was it not the desired spread, the frame was so high, I couldn't even find it on the RNG reporter . . .

So I was wonder if anyone else has bumped into this problem and know what I did wrong.

Can somebody simplify this for me?
Does it mean that when my wrist watch advances by one minute so should the DS internal clock?

"Below are steps to easily and consistently hit your target time.
  1. Have access to an external clock with a seconds display.
  2. Prepare your Synchronize Time by taking your target time, removing the seconds, and subtracting one full minute. For example: 12:05:30 becomes 12:04:00.
  3. Prepare your Reset Time by taking your target time and subtracting the seconds value that was found during calibration. For example: (assuming a seconds value of 15) 12:05:30 becomes 12:05:15.
  4. Set the time on your DS to the synchronize time and hit the A button to save the changes when the external clock reaches a new minute. With this step, we are synchronizing the seconds of the DS with the external clock.
  5. Load the game and reset at your calculated reset time. This ensures that your soft reset will occur at the exact time that is necessary to "Continue" at your target time."

The chain, if done correctly, will always override the encounter slots. This is a basic element of chaining. For an explanation of how the Pokeradar works, I recommend Diesel's chaining guide found on-site. As far as unknown variables go, there are none: The frame is advanced by known quantities, as described in LightningFusions post. They are the number of steps you take, the Actual Frame of the most recent poke in the chain, 6 for the battle itself, a number depending on the number of patches you see shake. The things that normally go wrong include:

1) Not battling all the NPCs in the area, or attempting to chain in an area with uncontrollable NPCs.
2) Not seeing all the patches moving, as the one directly above your character may be obscured, or a patch may be blocked by a tree.
3) Resetting on a corner patch, and not getting all four patches shaking as a result. This is the bane of chaining.

I have caught 8 Pokemon myself using these two guides as reference, and have found them to be very reliable.

Alright, please help. I've been trying to abuse the Pokeradar, but it just seems to be abusing me.

The SEED: 65000711

The spread: (TIMID, ability 1) 30/31/30/31/31/31 HP ICE 70
Appearing on: 716, 726, 728, 730 w/syncer
Pokemon I'm after: Togepi

All moving NPCs have been slain.

I started out w/o a syncer and bumped into this:

370 511 A722A106 Bashful 0 8 5 22 22 29 10 Fire 47FFFF
382 511 A722A106 Bashful 0 8 5 22 22 29 10 Fire 47FFFF

I thought I was on frame 350, but whatever. So that's a difference of twelve. I can deal with that. 716 and 728 are twelve apart.

I adavance the frame by turn and then turn+step until I'm next to the next patch, advancing the frame by 16. Then I use the Journal to advance the frame by 328. I then switch my syncer to the front and take the final turn+step adding two to the frame. 370+16+328+2=716 OR 382+16+328+2=728

The patch I walk into was in fact a Togepi, but not only was it not the desired spread, the frame was so high, I couldn't even find it on the RNG reporter . . .

So I was wonder if anyone else has bumped into this problem and know what I did wrong.
You're using the regular frame from the first Pokemon in your chain, instead of the Actual Frame. Hence, you overshot your target by a long way. Instead of 370, you should have used 511.

Sorry 54, but I'll say again I DIDN'T make a mistake. Route 205 has 0 wandering NPCs.

Here is all relevant info:
Seed: 3F160379
Target Frame: 331
Radar catch 1: 278 (Method 1)
Radar catch 2: 304 (Method J)

With 13 page flips and 1 extra turn between catch 1 and 2 I landed on 331, but my chain broke itself. 13 flips and walking to a different patch (still 5 advancements) and I land on 331 chain intact.

EDIT: Nevermind the frames, I found my error. The encounter slot still bugs me though.

With 13 page flips and 1 extra turn between catch 1 and 2 I landed on 331, but my chain broke itself. 13 flips and walking to a different patch (still 5 advancements) and I land on 331 chain intact.
This thing happened to me too.The chain broke on one patch and was intact on another,with the same advancement.

Sorry 54, but I'll say again I DIDN'T make a mistake. Route 205 has 0 wandering NPCs.

Here is all relevant info:
Seed: 3F160379
Target Frame: 331
Radar catch 1: 278 (Method 1)
Radar catch 2: 304 (Method J)

EDIT: Nevermind the frames, I found my error. The encounter slot still bugs me though.
A method J catch without a Synchro does not equal a Method 1 catch. The option in RNG Reporter that you should select in this case is Method J and on your Syncro Nature tab, select None. That could be your problem right there. I strongly recommend keeping your Synchronizer at the front of your party for the entirety of the Pokeradar Abuse, as this will not adversely affect anything, and allows you to keep the same options selected in RNG Reporter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 22)