Most Overrated 4th Gen Pokemon in OU?

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
I'm gonna say Gengar and Flygon, because people actually thought those things were good
When I was using SubSplit Gengar because people told me OMG it can beat Blissey!!! I tried it, but Blissey would always break my sub, and I'd have to predict if it would attempt to paralyze me or attack me. Not to mention whenever I got Blissey under 40% Focus Blast would miss. Same goes for the scarf set when Focus Blast would miss.
Not sure about you, but I almost always had Gar, and he was amazing. So many teams aren't prepared for it after losing one counter, and they can just be swept. Definitely one of the better OUs.

EDIT: I run Sub + 3 attacks. It doesn't really have any problems with Scizor, and Tyranitar is disposed of 91% of the time.

^ I find that's the exact attitude that people have about Gengar, and it's not true. Gengar is really underwhelming if it's not behind a Sub. Pursuit weak, priority weak, and has to rely on Focus Blast to get rid of Tyranitar. Not exactly stellar in terms of ease of checking it.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I would agree, Gengar is a bit overrated. It's good. It hits hard. It's fast, but a lot of Pokemon are. It's good, but it's not #3 OU good. It 99.9% of the time will not beat Blissey. It is easily revenged. It is very frail. You need to predict very well to do well with it, or else a priority or faster (read: Scizor or ScarfTar) will render you helpless. Most bulky Pokemon can survive a hit even from 130 SpA and hit back, and Gengar cannot take hits at all.

Gengar's pretty overrated, but not as overrated as things like Aerodactyl or Weavile.

Aerodactyl is not overrated. Sure, all it does is get Stealth Rock up and dies, but it does that so well. It is basically impossible to stop it from rocking.

^ agreed.

I would have to say that Gengar is overrated, as I have never been able to do anything with it. xD I can't seem to keep the damn thing alive.

Flygon isn't as bad as people think... Sure 4x weakness to Ice sucks, but it works well as a lead (In my experience)

You're complaining about the speed of a wall. Come on, you could also be complaining about the speed of Forretress, Blissey, and a hell of a lot of other things.
Swampert isn't a wall, he's more of a tank. Tanks are meant to be defensive, but able to dish out some damage too. Now, looking at Swampert as tank, his defenses were often quite underwhelming, and his attack didn't cut it. As an SR-lead it was outclassed by Aerodactyl, who doesn't get Taunted as easy, as a tank he didn't cut it, the Choice Band-set was outclassed. I could go on like this for some more time.

I would agree, Gengar is a bit overrated. It's good. It hits hard. It's fast, but a lot of Pokemon are. It's good, but it's not #3 OU good. It 99.9% of the time will not beat Blissey. It is easily revenged. It is very frail. You need to predict very well to do well with it, or else a priority or faster (read: Scizor or ScarfTar) will render you helpless. Most bulky Pokemon can survive a hit even from 130 SpA and hit back, and Gengar cannot take hits at all.

Gengar's pretty overrated, but not as overrated as things like Aerodactyl or Weavile.
It doesnt need to beat blissey, its a special sweeper. Its perk is that it can take a huge amount off its health, then allow you to bring in a psycical sweeper for free. Blissey is also 1 of the few pokemon that can take 2 hits from it (others that come to mind are spd jirachi, bronzong, togekiss, and uh thats it). Not even snorlax can live 2 focus blasts. Once it gets up a sub you often have to sac a poke and THEN outspeed it, wich isnt easy. Scizor is easily trapped by magnezone, and scarftar sucks now that latias is gone. Bandtar is becoming the new standard. Yes focus blast sucks, but ghost+fighting is UNRESISTED. True it does have to be behind a sub, but getting that sub is probably easier then any poke in the game. Gengar does have defensive utulity despite what people think. It revenges lucario, infernape, counters gliscor, and can even come in on a scizor using superpower (heatran+gengar is a good combo btw). Gengar is reason enough for me to never pick up a lucario ever again. Flygon cant even touch it without locking it into outrage or using thunderpunch/fireblast and they are easily set up on. It doesnt matter if its pursuit weak if it can kill all pursuiters, and if you revenge kill it its already killed a poke. The only common prioity that can touch it is bullet punch, and we all know how easy that is to set up on. I use gengar on almost all of my offensive teams and it never lets me down. It deserves to be #3 in ou, and for those who think otherwise i guess we just have different tastes. Stop hatin on gengar.

As for jolteon i never liked it either...Maybe if it could 2hko hippowodon with hp i would use the sub pass set...but its movepool is just too poor.

Aerodactyl is not overrated. Sure, all it does is get Stealth Rock up and dies, but it does that so well. It is basically impossible to stop it from rocking.
Can Aerodactyl get up Rocks most of the time?

Will it die almost immediately afterwards 99% of the time?

Are there several leads that can do the same or better?

If the answers to these three questions are yes, then congratulations, your Aerodactyl is overhyped.

But they aren't. Aerodactyl can also stop an opponent from getting up SR. Aero can stop nearly all leads from getting it up, and then do the same. Tell me two leads that can stop Aerodactyl from rocking then get rocks up themselves.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gengar shouldnt be used as a sweeper, it doesn't have that ability. it should be used as a tailor to your teams needs as it is so versatile. i use a Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Focus blast, Energy Ball/Psychic Gengar with 152 EV's in Def. It is specially tailored to take out 4th gen threats while also surviving a Scizor/Tyranitar Pursuit if at high health and it almost always gets at least one kill because nobody expects it.

SubSplit Gengar especially can be an amazing sweeper, or at least in my experience (although I tend to base parts of my teams around getting it in easily).
The way I see it: Gengar needs to be behind a Sub to sweep, he also needs Life Orb for the damage output, and he needs something to stop him from dying too quickly = Pain Split. It depends on the opponents team but I wouldn't call Gengar overrated.

DetroitLolcat

It's not that you can get rocks and prevent your opponent's, it's that is it worth going 6-5 to do so? Think about it, you're not killing the opponent's lead, and they can just set up the rocks later. And you're not getting much momentum with just rocks. Secondly, there is no way to keep any momentum that early in the game unless you have a perfect team matchup or your opponent makes a fatal error. Since the opponent has six healthy Pokemon left, they will undoubtedly be able to neutralize your offense. Once the battle has shifted to a more neutral setting, the opponent can just set their rocks up. Now it's either 6-5, 5-5, 5-4, or 4-4 or something like that and both sides have rocks. Most likely it's 5-4 in favor of the person who did not use Aero because the Aero user sent out a sweeper or revenger that killed something and then got killed itself, then your lead set up rocks. The battle's in the opponent's favor, and Aero didn't help you at all. Aero usually hurts your team more than it helps it.

Aerodactly leads are amazing for setting up the SR, so please dont compare it to Gengar whos only chances are Subbing or Focus Sashing which is murdered by any weather team. An EVd Swift Swim Ludicolo can take 3 modest EVd Gengar's Tbolts and Focus Blast hits less than its accuracy entails. Most overrated from what ive seen sadly Electivire :/ I LOVE this pokemon, and switching in an a Twave/Tbolt is hilarious when he has Expert Belt w/ excellent coverage, but weakness to Equake + prediction being the ONLY way for him to do any sort of damage makes him BL/UU material

^ But Rachi and Gliscor can switch out and be of use later. Aerodactyl can't do that because it's about as frail as wet tissue paper.

DetroitLolcat

Pokemon that are good at getting up SR AND doing something else:
Azelf
Metagross
Infernape
Swampert
Heatran
Jirachi
Hippowdon

Pokemon that can only get up SR:
Aerodactyl.

Pokemon can have niche roles, but they have to be GOOD niche roles.

The thing with those you listed: They might fail with the primary job, getting SR up. There's no way Aero's gonna fail.

Exactly, he stops them from rocking, gets rocks up, then eqs the shit out of them, at least weakening them enough for a quick revenger to come in and clean up.

Guys, you're making it sound like Aerodactyl dies to Magikarp Tackles, but honestly, 80/65/75 might not be good, but it isn't that bad. Smogon even has a bulky SubRoost set for Aero.

And guys, about it not doing shit after getting up SR, if it carries a Focus Sash, it can often fire off an attack, and you could use it, to some extent, as some sort of a revenge killer too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)