1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Most Underated Pokemon in 4th Gen

Discussion in 'Stark Mountain' started by Boondocker, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Boondocker

Boondocker

Just like the last thread except underated mons this time. Unlike last time you can talk about the uu, nu, and uber metagames. My vote deffinitely goes to:

[​IMG]This guy is bulky as fuck, with good stab, nasty plot, thunderwave, roost, great coverage, and rare counters. Whats not to like?

Other candidates are Cressila, Kingdra, and Venusaur. Yes, Venusaur. Its bascally a faster, special breloom with the ability to absorb toxic spikes and kill grass types in return for a less accurate sleep move. What do yall think?
  2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Life is like a hurricane
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

[​IMG]
    Easily sets up on stall with Taunt. Taunt + Swords Dance Gallade almost beats stall by itself. It doesn't fail against offense either.

[​IMG]
    Great stats, not a large movepool but just the right moves. Ice + Ground is resisted only by Bronzong.

And Choice Band Machamp and Special Mix Infernape with HP Electric.

Edit: you spelled underrated wrong

Edit2: you still spelled it wrong
  3. HART4FLOON

HART4FLOON

a lot of people underestimate otr bronzong's sweeping potential. it can rip through teams with 150 bp stab gyro ball, eq, and explosion. definitely one of the better late-game cleaners i've used

deoxys-s's offensive set is also underestimated. yeah deoxys-a pretty much does it better but being able to outspeed scarfchomp and most kingdra and not die in one hit from everything makes it worth using
  4. Jcpdragonx

Jcpdragonx

Togekiss is really good, I've used it a fair bit and unless the opposing team have blissey/eletric type, it can be really annoying. Cresselia is only good against some balance teams and offence teams, stall sets up on it. Roserade over Venu since it gets Tspikes.
  5. Lucario_Skywalker

Lucario_Skywalker

I agree that Togekiss is underrated, for the reasons given.

I also think that Jolteon is kind of underrated. He can wreak teams late game, after specially bulky Pokes are eliminated.
  6. Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Togekiss can be easily stopped by Taunt, isn't that fast, and its STAB is resisted by a lot of things. It can still paraflinch unprepared teams or set up and sweep.

I agree with Bronzong. One weakness (you could even surprise people by running Overheat over Levitate), bulky, and a decent movepool.

I also like Gallade: good typing and movepool make it unpredictable.

A Yanmega lead with Speed Boost and Bug Buzz/HP Fire/Air Slash/Protect can be hard to counter. It's mainly a suicide lead though.
  7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Life is like a hurricane
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Quoted for truth.
    OTR Bronzong is 10 times better than Agiligross.

Edit:

Quoted for truth.
  8. DangerDonny

DangerDonny

I've used Togekiss a little and must say am impressed with it. It can learn a somewhat large variety of moves and is very easy to train. It has decent health and has some nice defense to it too.

I also agree that Gallade is underestimated. I raised one to lvl 100 and I must say its pretty nice..
  9. JeffreyLebowski

JeffreyLebowski

[​IMG]
    This thing is incredible. I used one before mence was banned, and this thing would check it like no one's business, with hidden power ice. Could also check waters like suicune and starmie, and makes swamperts cry. Sub seed is legit, too
  10. Kid Kadabra

Kid Kadabra

Well, back long long ago.... When the 4th generation games were released, and I hadn't really even started playing competitive pokemon, I was browsing the smogon strategy dex. I randomly clicked on Breloom, which turned out to be, at the time, in the NU tier..... I looked at its base stats, and checked out its movepool, and even I said to myself, "Holy shit, that has got to be the most underrated pokemon ever. I immediately made a plan to merely use a random NU team utilizing breloom to rip teams apart. Well, by the time I got around to it, Breloom had been moved to OU, reducing my plan to dust.

Breloom absolutely HAD to be the most underrated pokemon. Spore, plus poison heal, plus other stuff, and it was only in NU?! I mean, no contest, Breloom.
  11. chocolate-kipp

chocolate-kipp

Uh, what? Breloom was not underrated. He was one of the most commonly used Pokemon. He was in OU, not NU.
  12. bubbly

bubbly

For me Cresselia has to be the biggest. The motherfucker just does not die. Under Reflect he's literally untouchable except for random stuff like Choice Specs Heatran and status, and he can even RestTalk. I mean, CB Scizor's U-turn can't even 3HKO under Reflect.

Jirachi is another one. Absolutely ridiculous versatility and bulk, the only reason IMO its not top 5 is a little lavadome we call Heatran. The flinch sets are infuriating, sure, but both WishCM and SpDef which started to become popular recently are just insanely good.
  13. Aerodactyl Legend

Aerodactyl Legend

[​IMG]

Man, the back sprites in BW are God awful. They look like malnourished infants.

Anyways, the most underrated is easily Dragonite.
  14. Kid Kadabra

Kid Kadabra

Well maybe that's just me thinking that, but I thought I remembered seeing him in NU for the beginning of 4th gen.... Maybe not though.....
  15. DetroitLolcat

DetroitLolcat Maize And Blue Badge Set :)
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Shaymin is underrated, it can wreck teams without hard counters, and it's unpredictable with the hidden powers.

However, the most underrated Pokemon in the game has to be Zapdos. Zapdos should be top 10, maybe even top 5 OU. It is insanely bulky, hits like a truck, and can run three great sets: Physically Bulky, Specially Bulky, and Offensive, and all three work. Physically Bulky needs strong SE moves to take down (and you'll still be eating hard attacks and possibly even Toxic), same with S. Bulky, and Offensive 9and SubRoost) can rip teams apart with moderate bulk. 100 Speed lets it tie with monsters like Jirachi, Celebi, and others. It functions on offensive teams, BP teams, stall teams, bulky teams, everything but Trick Room, honestly.
  16. HART4FLOON

HART4FLOON

Shaymin is underrated? How? I thought everyone knows now how awesome Shaymin is ;)
  17. Disgrace

Disgrace

[​IMG]
    I used this thing in ubers and once Kyorge was gone, it could wreck teams with STAB, Sun Sacred Fire.
  18. More Cowbell

More Cowbell

Breloom has been top-tier OU since the 4th gen kicked off. All the reason for it too.
  19. domeface

domeface

I assume he means land Shaymin, not Skymin. Landmin was BL for most of Gen 4, only just making it into OU just before Gen 5 came around.
  20. IronGross

IronGross

Alakazam falling to UU really pissed me off, I hope it will return to OU in the new metagame.
  21. smashlloyd20

smashlloyd20

Small chance of that, all it got was Psycho Shock. I hope it stays UU so it can actually be a good Pokemon.
  22. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris Smogon Frontier's Castle Valetis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 16 Champion

nothing is nearly as underrated as zapdos. the subroost set just doesn't fucking die and will toxic stall you to hell and back. sdef sets are a pain too.
  23. domeface

domeface

Erm, Magic Guard? Granted it doesn't have it yet, but when it does it'll be a great addition. Maybe not enough to make him OU, but still awesome.
  24. smashlloyd20

smashlloyd20

Forgot about that, although it probably won't be helping him much wen he goes down to a tap by any attack anyway.
  25. yaya0

yaya0

It seems you have all forgotten about....

Claydol @ Choice Scarf

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)