New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread Mk. 5

I don't see how that Tentacruel is working. It may get T-Spikes up against some leads, but I don't see how it is doing anything against Aerodactyl or Azelf, both of which can threaten a 2hko as well as taunt. Against several others, you're going to get T-Spikes up but attain nothing else. To me it looks like its just simply outclassed by Roserade except in a vs. Infernape match up.

It also does better against heatran, jirachi, and metagross leads. Its a suicide lead so as long as it gets spikes up its job is done. Roserade is also 2hkod by aero and azelf so thats a moot point. And at least tenta has good type coverage.

Edit-Some more leads it does better than roserade include, gliscor (outsped and 0HKO'd), crobat (hit with an icebeam), forteress (hydro pump 2hkos, while if roserade runs hp fire it loses speed ties with other roserade), and dragonite (outsped and almost 0HKO'd).

A suicide Toxic Spike lead seems kind of pointless to me when Toxic Spikes can easily be absorbed by a poison mon, so you basically face the opponent with 5-6 just to get some t-spikes that could be absorbed the next turn.

A suicide Toxic Spike lead seems kind of pointless to me when Toxic Spikes can easily be absorbed by a poison mon, so you basically face the opponent with 5-6 just to get some t-spikes that could be absorbed the next turn.
There are virtually NO good grounded poison types in ou except for roserade (suicide lead). They almost always lead so of corse you wouldnt waste your time putting up toxic spikes, you would ice beam it. By the way this is not a discussion as to whether toxic spikes are good or not. There is already a thread for that.

This is a creative Suicune set I recently made. It works very well. I call it "E-Cune."

E-Cune (Less Speed + More Bulk)

Suicune @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Spe / 96 Sp.Def
~ Surf
~ Rest
~ Calm Mind
~ Reflect

Alright, so as you can see this is no ordinary Suicune. Unlike the other bulky tanking Suicune variants this set takes Suicune's defenses and speed into consideration. Here is an example of what this thing is capable of:

Standard Support Celebi's Grass Knot does 56.93% - 67.33% damage to Crocune without a CM.
Standard Support Celebi's Grass Knot does 37.62% - 45.05% damage to Crocune + 1 Calm Mind

Now lets see what E-Cune can do:

Standard Support Celebi's Grass Knot does 52.48% - 62.38% damage to E-Cune without a CM.
Standard Support Celebi's Grass Knot does 34.65% - 41.58% damage to E-Cune + 1 Calm Mind

Not only that. Keep in mind that E-Cune outspeeds standard support Celebi with its 246 Speed. Making Calm Minding even easier! And faster set up. Which also makes the difference between Crocune and E-Cune huge.

Here's another example:

Adamant Choice Band Tyranitar's Stone Edge does 44.80% - 52.97% damage to Crocune.

Adamant Choice Band Tyranitar's Stone Edge does only 27.72% - 32.92% damage to E-Cune + Reflect. Making -Cune extremely bulky in Def and Sp.Def over Crocune.

-----

Here's another E-Cune set I made that has more Speed and less bulk.

E-Cune (More Speed + Less Bulk)

Suicune @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Spe / 56 Sp.Def
~ Surf
~ Rest
~ Calm Mind
~ Reflect

This Suicune is given more speed for you to Calm Mind and Reflect more easily and be able to outspeed many threats like Adamant Lucario and Salamence.
Why are these numbers relevant? It seems that Celebi still 2HKOs you, so you gain nothing by being bulkier than the standard set.

I propose a new Dugtrio moveset that might work. Although this is weak to priority moves like all Dugtrios are, this has the potential for Dugtrio to fight back than to switch out. After Dugtrio makes its revenge kill, it is very easily stopped by many pokemon due to it's pitiful defenses. However, this Dugtrio will be able to trap and kill more Pokemon than it could ever before. I present to you:

Reversal Dugtrio @ Salac/Liechi Berry
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Hp/252 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Endure
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Night Slash

After it gets it's revenge kill, analyze your opponent switch-in: Endure if you can kill it; switch if you can't. Tyranitar and Blissey will be destroyed by Reversal. Jolteon or Infernape threatning you? No problem: After the Salac Berry, it will be faster than both of them and will KO by Earthquake. Jirachi threatening you? After the Liechi Berry, it will KO Jirachi. Priority users will be a problem but with Dugtrio's low Defenses, it wouldn't matter anyway. You can replace Night Slash for Stone Edge if preferred. I believe that this set is better since it doesn't lock you in one move, and it has Reversal which is it's strongest attack.

haunter

Banned deucer.
TTar and Blissey already fall to a CB earthquake, and you're not going to sweep with Duggy because of its just average attack stat and because priority moves (see Lucario's ES or Scizor's BP) are going to take it down anyway. I don't honestly see which advantages this set has over the CB or the life orb sets.

I am very confused about the Suicune set.

You list a bunch of damage numbers that Celebi does to it, but you don't even have Ice Beam, so how exactly do you beat Celebi if you decide to stay in? You can't Pressure stall it out of Grass Knot if you dont' have Sleep Talk or Roar.

The Suicune set basically revolves around getting your first CM BEFORE they hit you with a grass knot. That way, your chances of pulling off a successful calm mind sweep are much greater because you can pull off more calm minds.

The Suicune set basically revolves around getting your first CM BEFORE they hit you with a grass knot. That way, your chances of pulling off a successful calm mind sweep are much greater because you can pull off more calm minds.
Yea, you got it. Although Celebi was a bad example, I needed something that does a lot of damage to Suicune as an example and how the speed is crucial. And surpassing the bulkiness of other Suicune sets. I've tested it, it works really well if you use it right.

In this case you'd get in two CMs while it only does a max of 79% then you'd rest before you get KOed and would attempt to stall it out. Still its not the best example Celebi still forces it out in most cases, but against other things the ability to get up Reflect/CM before taking a hit is pretty great.

Celebi would obviously be trying to counter Suicune. Never would you bring a Suicune in on a Celebi. So you Calm Mind as it comes in, another before the first Grass Knot. You get a third on the second Grass Knot, so now its doing what, like 30% to you at most? Then Rest off the damage or set up a Reflect, and then Rest off the damage. From there you can probably beat Celebi between Pressure and Surf damage. It is risky due to the chance of a critical hit or two, but I think that is what Arin had in mind.

TTar and Blissey already fall to a CB earthquake, and you're not going to sweep with Duggy because of its just average attack stat and because priority moves (see Lucario's ES or Scizor's BP) are going to take it down anyway. I don't honestly see which advantages this set has over the CB or the life orb sets.
Adamant Choice Band guarantees a OHKO on most Tyranitars (with Stealth Rock factored in), but then Infernape will be faster. Jolteon will also be faster than the Choice Band or Life Orb set. An Adamant Dugtrio will tie with positive nature base 105 Speed Pokemon, such as Mismagius and Manectric, and fails to outspeed Pokemon that are faster such as Ambipom and Raikou. A Jolly Dugtrio will be faster, but has less power to net some OHKO's. According to the Smogon Article on Dugtrio, Jolly Earthquake will still OHKO, but only 53.85% of the time. Therefore, this set will make sure that Tyranitar will be OHKO all the time.

According to the Smogon Article on Blissey, Blissey is vulnerable to be 2HKOed by Choice Band Adamant Dugtrio. But it can stall it out by Wish + Protect, or stop it by Counter or a powerful Ice Beam. So by using Endure + Reversal, it can beat Blissey. Dugtrio can only do do 40-47% to Blissey with Earthquake with a Life Orb.

This moveset is not supposed to be sweeping teams, although it can according to how many pokemon Dugtrio can KO, but this moveset is supposed to give Dugrio more KO's than the Choice Band or Life Orb sets.
If you're stuck on the wrong move, Blissey and Tyranitar survives. Choice Scarf Heatran can kill Dugtrio if Dugtrio isn't Choice Scarfed. Motor Drive Electivire is also stopped by Endure + Earthquake if a Salac Berry is chosen.

haunter

Banned deucer.
According to the Smogon Article on Blissey, Blissey is vulnerable to be 2HKOed by Choice Band Adamant Dugtrio. But it can stall it out by Wish + Protect, or stop it by Counter or a powerful Ice Beam. So by using Endure + Protect, it can beat Blissey. Dugtrio can only do do 40-47% to Blissey with Earthquake with a Life Orb.
Blissey can still toxic you on the turn you endure, and then still beat you alternating wish and protect. I'd rather prefer the chance to 2hko her after you sacrifice a Pokemon than having to rely on reversal (I guess you meant reversal when you wrote protect). Also, you can't use both liechi and salac berry, so you either lose to scarf-Tran and co, or don't pack enough power to 2hko Bliss (and always miss the ohko on TTar), something that CB Duggy can do reasonably well if you play it right.

This moveset is not supposed to be sweeping teams, although it can according to how many pokemon Dugtrio can KO, but this moveset is supposed to give Dugrio more KO's than the Choice Band or Life Orb sets.
If you're stuck on the wrong move, Blissey and Tyranitar survives. Choice Scarf Heatran can kill Dugtrio if Dugtrio isn't Choice Scarfed. Motor Drive Electivire is also stopped by Endure + Earthquake if a Salac Berry is chosen.
Once again, you can't list 2 items that give so much different results, if "salac berry is chosen" then you'll be unable to take care of things like Jirachi and TTar and will have no way to beat Bliss unless she's really weakened. Also, I don't get how this set is supposed to give "more KO's" than CB or LO sets, as after you endure, you still lose to every priority user in the game and you're dead anyway if you switch out because of SR; so yeah you still get the kill that both CB and LO sets guarantee, but then you're basically dead beaing at 1 HP. CB and LO sets have their flaws, but they're quite good at doing what Duggy does best: revenge killing.

In this case you'd get in two CMs while it only does a max of 79% then you'd rest before you get KOed and would attempt to stall it out. Still its not the best example Celebi still forces it out in most cases, but against other things the ability to get up Reflect/CM before taking a hit is pretty great.
Here's how much damage standard no EV on Sp.Atk Celebi's Grass Knot (which does a 120 base power damage to Suicunes) does to E-Cune:

Without any Calm Minds: 52.48% - 62.38%

So lets say you Calm Minded and opponent sends in Celebi.

After 1 CM: 34.65% - 41.58%

You will only take that amount of damage on the next turn. But, since you're faster you can Calm Mind again and this is the amount of damage your Suicune will take:

After 2 CMs: 26.73% - 31.68%

That really nice, isn't it? How about another CM?

After 3 CMs: 20.79% - 25.25%

Celebi is virutally unable to defeat Suicune now, unless by a critical hit Grass Knot. Almost no Sp.Atk Pokemon in the metagame can stop Suicune after those three Calm Minds (takes Suicune's Sp.Def to 725 and Sp.Atk to 515). While you can also use Reflect to any powerful physical attack as an example I've shown. Your Suicune is virtually unstoppable at that point. While it can ofcourse Rest back with incredible bulk and also Pressure stall if it needs to against things like Vaporeon.

This is a lead Claydol set that I tested out. It certainly exceeded my expectations.

Trick Claydol Lead

Claydol @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
EVs: 184 HP / 216 Spe / 110 SpA
~ Earth Power / Psychic / Ice Beam
~ Rapid Spin
~ Stealth Rock
~ Trick

I wanted a lead that could both rapid spin and set up its own rocks. Out of Armaldo, Donphan, Forretress, Kabutops, Sandslash and Torkoal, Claydol stood out for trick, its bulk, levitate, and resistance to stealth rock. Also trick is not TOO commonly seen on Claydol (which is not commonly seen itself).

The given EVs put Claydol at 396 scarfed speed, enough to beat +nature base 130s such as Aerodactyl. This is extremely important as it allows Claydol to easily shut down many stealth rock leads by either locking them into taunt or rocks, then spinning them away.

110 SpA attack EVs let Claydol to always 2hko 4 HP Jirachi, 252 HP non-shuca Metagross, shuca Heatran, and Infernape.

Earth Power v.s. 4 HP/0 SDef Jirachi : 171-201 Damage, 50-59%. 100% chance to 2HKO
Earth Power v.s. 252 HP/0 SDef Metagross : 186-219 Damage, 51-60%. 100% chance to 2HKO
Earth Power v.s. 4 HP/0 SDef Heatran : 326-383 Damage, 100%. 100% chance to 1HKO, 2HKO with shuca berry.

You can also use 252 HP/60 Def instead of 110 SpA for greater usage later in the game.

Here's how it fares against the top 20 leads of September:
1. Azelf: Trick it, if it taunts then switch out, if it sets up rocks then spin/set up rocks.
2. Metagross: Trick it, then spin/set up rocks/earth power.
3. Jirachi: Stealth rock as it tricks, then gain switch advantage, spin the turn after, (Scarf Jirachi is faster, it sets up stealth rock, then you spin.) or 2HKO with earth power.
4. Aerodactyl: Trick it as it taunts, then switch.
5. Swampert: Trick it.
6. Smeargle: I suggest absorbing sleep with another poke, since smeargle sets up hazards which claydol can then spin away.
7. Infernape: You can go with a fast earth power, or trick.
8. Roserade: This is a problem. Claydol has no easy way to best roserade as both leaf storm and sleep powder causes problems.
9. Ninjask: This is another problem. The best you can do is switch out or set up rocks.
10. Heatran: You can earth power for a 2hko on shuca, or trick.
11. Hippowdon: Trick it.
12. Tyranitar: Probably better off tricking it.
13. Crobat: You can go for a quick stealth rock, since crobat will probably hypnosis.
14. Bronzong: Bronzong can't do anything but hypnosis, which can be problematic. You either can switch out, or trick and hope hypnosis misses.
15. Gliscor: Trick it as it taunts.
16. Ambipom: Set up rocks.
17. Forretress: Trick.
18. Mamoswine: You probably want to trick it, but ice shard is a 2hko.
19. Abomasnow: If you're feeling really lucky you can trick it and hope it substitutes/leech seeds, or Blizzard gets a minimum damage roll. (283 SpA Blizzard does 88-100%) Stealth rock is really good to get off against hail teams.
20. Empoleon: Not too much you can do, switch out. Hydro pump 1hkos.

Nothing really stops Claydol from getting up rocks, only a few things can 1HKO it (Roserade, Abomasnow sometimes, Empoleon) and quite a few things are crippled by trick.

I've been running a Shaymin lead that has been really successful so far KO-ing at least their lead and OHKO-ing a lot of unsuspecting things sometimes even before rocks/spikes can come up.

Shaymin @ Yache Berry
Modest 252 Sp Atk 252 Speed 6 HP

Seed Flare
Earth Power
HP Fire
Aromatherapy/Natural Gift/Quick Attack

The first few moves are the brunt of the set here. Seed Flare hits hard swampert, t-tar, hippowdon, starmie, and multiple other leads. Earth Power and HP Fire on top of that gets super effective on basically any lead you want barring an anti-lead d-nite or salamence. If either of those two worry you natural gift + Yache Berry will OHKO of course barring these dragons having Yache's of their own.

Yache on its own does prevent Abomasnow, Frosslass and anything with strong ice attacks (pert, starmie) from doing too much damage. Aromatherapy is for later game support because chances are this shaymin will not have to suicide. Quick Attack is pitifully weak on this shaymin but sometimes priority is just that useful.

haunter

Banned deucer.
There's really no reason to run yache berry on Shaymin, other than some random Mamoswine or LO Starmie, there are no Pokemon capable of severely hurting or ohkoing it with ice attacks. Abomasnow is quite rare and Froslass is even more rare in OU. Swampert's ice beams can not even 2hko so yache seems quite a waste, if you're looking for some surprise kill, then I'd rather go with occa berry, so you can catch off guard things like scarf-Heatran or Infernape, which are way more common that Aboma\Froslass.

lol...you guys can't be serious about suicune. look, if celebi is at min spatk and most likely min speed, i'm pretty sure it's running either perish song or leech seed, which makes everything completely moot

I feel like sacrificing a moveslot for bulkier defenses is too much cost for too little benefit, at least for Suicune. Sure, that way Celebi and Choice Banders can't 2HKO it, but your defense boost only lasts five turns, takes a turn to set up, and your only recovery is vanilla Rest. Sure, if you've got a Reflect up, Choice Banders can't OHKO you...but if someone brings a Celebi in to counter you, then you're going to have to Rest right after you get those 3 CMs in, without getting a chance to throw up your Reflect. And without that Reflect, most physical sweepers can come in and either set up on it or start pounding away with CBed attacks. Even with 3 CMs, it only barely has the offensive power to slug it out with the most common physical attackers, and without Reflect, most physical attackers' boosted attacks (SD Scizor, DD Gyarados, CB Tyranitar, etc) have a chance of 2HKOing.

It still wins fights against anything that doesn't resist Surf or have good SpDef (it can't even 4HKO min SpDef Gyarados, which can just DD up until Reflect wears off and shove an EQ/Stone Edge where it hurts), but typically only barely, and only if it's in perfect condition with no status effects. If the Celebi hits you with Leech Seed or T-Wave (both standard options on that defensive Celebi set), then the extra damage and/or speed loss leave E-Cune in an unfavorable position. Paralysis ruins this Suicune, as it renders those extra Speed EVs wasted, and makes it much easier to capitalize on Reflect's absence or expiration.

Devoting three of its four attacks to defense is the other major thorn in this Suicune's side. Sure, defensive Celebi can't 2HKO it with Grass Knot after three Calm Minds, but even with six Calm Minds, it can't 2HKO that Celebi either. Heck, with 3 CMs, Surf doesn't even 2HKO minimum spdef Scizor. And with Surf being the only thing that that Suicune can do, all you have to do is switch in a special wall, chuck a status effect or something on Cune, and outstall.

======

Regarding that Shaymin set, it doesn't have anything to really deal with Crobat, a fairly common OU lead with STAB Aerial Ace/Brave Bird, or other part-Flying types. Your Yache Natural Gift idea isn't a bad one, but it doesn't work - Natural Gift is a physical attack, and you're running a min Atk Shaymin, meaning that even Salamence and Dragonite shrug it off despite their 4x weakness. Your only option for those critters is HP Ice...of course, you can't use both HP Ice and HP Fire, so you've got no real choice but to accept that you can't cover everything.

The Yache might as well go too; thanks to the abundance of Steels, fire attacks are much more common than ice attacks currently. You can try using an Occa Berry in its place to weaken a fire attack for you, but a quick check of the damage calcs suggests that even that wouldn't be enough - an Infernape lead Fire Blast will guaranteed OHKO you right through the berry if it used Fake Out first, and LO Infernape can do it as well. Since you're going to be relying on Seed Flare's sheer power to bludgeon your way through leads you can't hit super effectively (like Azelf and Aerodactyl), you could try a boosting item like Choice Specs or Life Orb to turn those 2HKOs into OHKOs, or use Wide Lens to help deal with Seed Flare's poor accuracy.

"Leadcruel"

@shuca berry
Timid nature: 252hp 176spe 80def
~Hydro pump
~Ice beam
~Toxic spikes
~Rapid spin/Protect/Knock off/HP electric/HP grass

This Tentacruel is designed for balanced or bulky offensive teams to set up toxic spikes with ease. Hydro pump is needed to 2hko azelf, while ice beam gives the usual coverage on grass types and dragons. Rapid spin can be used if your team hates rocks and the hidden powers can hit specific targets. Protect is to scout trick leads and to catch explosions. Knock off to be annoying. The evs are to outspeed max speed Roserade and the rest were thrown into defenses to help take earthquakes better. You can run max speedd to tie +speed 100s or you can put the rest in special attack. Why not use roserade anyway? Although leadcruel doesnt have sleep powder he trades that ability to beat more leads. Heres how it fares vs. the top 10 leads.

1. Azelf: if it taunts hydro pump 2hkos. if it doesnt, use toxic spikes. Knock off can remove any light clays. win

2. Metagross: unlike roserade you are not ko'd by eq+bp. Eq still 2hkos you so just spike twice. win

3. Jirachi: Protect first, then toxic spike. win

4. Aerodactyl: Ice beam 2hkos. so if it taunts it doesnt get to attack. win

5. Swampert: spike twice while you are 2hkod. win

6. Infenape: spike twice. you can also hurt it with hydro pump. again fares much better then roserade here. win

7. Roserade: ice beam while you are put to sleep. tie

8. Hippowdon: hydro pump or spike. win

9. Ninjask: ice beam it to death. when you think its gonna pass, spike. win

10. Smeargle: either spike or attack while you are slept. tie
question, against Aerodactyl can you Hydropump->Rapid Spin to 2HKO/remove rocks?

Manaphy's article has pretty slim options, I was thinking about how to use it now that it's back in OU again. Something like:

jolly
4 hp/252 atk/252 spe
life orb
waterfall
return
rain dance
rest

Since manaphy is primarily a special attacker this could open up options, especially with blissy being such a hard counter to the tail glow set. Water/normal is a combo gyrados uses, and the only OU poke that resists both is empoleon. Rest and rain dance let it take hits, and boosts the power of waterfall, giving it a nice kick with a life orb.

There might be some other options too, like a mixed attacker using surf/return/U-turn or something similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)