New OU List (September 2010)

Pretty much every Heracross will be forced to run Stone Edge or else Moltres walks all over it. It can come in on anything else and KO with Flamethrower. Claydol can also come in on anything bar Megahorn. Nidoqueen can take anything but Earthquake. Spiritomb also has enough Defense to take Megahorn.

Conclusions:
+Moltres, +Claydol, +Nidoqueen, +Spiritomb
----------Aggron, -Registeel, -Houndoom(?)
Heracross probably won't be broken.

EDIT:
Forgot one.
+Weezing

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Pretty much every Heracross in UU will be forced to run Stone Edge or else Moltres walks all over it. It can come in on anything else and KO with Flamethrower. Claydol can also come in on anything bar Megahorn. Nidoqueen can take anything but Earthquake. Spiritomb also has enough Defense to take Megahorn.
It can't "pretty much come in on anything" because Choice Band Close Combat OHKOEs after Stealth Rocks. I personally plan on running a bulkier Moltres, that can take a CC after SR damage and still outspeed Heracross.
(252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe Timid)

It's a real damn shame we didn't get to use Smeargle and Umbreon in UU before gen 5 came out.

Heracross should be in BL. It's a shitty tier, with pokes who are not used in OU, but too powerfull for UU....
BL, quite literally, is not even a tier.

It's also literally OU, except the Pokemon to whom Smogon says "I don't want to call you OU, so I'll call you BL instead, even though there's no difference."

Now, the OLD BL... That was the best metagame ever.

...I've been using a hera sweeper for weeks with some good success. I agree it really needs to be BL, because CB Guts STAB Megahorn puts dents in almost everything. Even just STAB Megahorn does...

Using a Choice item on Heracross in UU, in theorymon, seems like it's underutilizing him. There are a lot of hard hitting Pokemon in UU that can utilize Choice items, but Heracross has decent speed in the tier, and a good move pool to pull from. I don't want to be stuck in an unSTAB Stone Edge, thinking a Moltres is going to be switching in, when in fact it's Aggron ready to Rock Polish and sweep.

Every counter to Heracross in UU is going to be a soft counter, because Stone Edge wrecks those that resist Bug/Fighting. Weezing and Nido usage to rise..

Oh Smogon, you so crazy. I'm still running my Careful Megahorn/Bulk Up/Rest/Sleep Talk set to great success in OU. =p

Using a Choice item on Heracross in UU, in theorymon, seems like it's underutilizing him. There are a lot of hard hitting Pokemon in UU that can utilize Choice items, but Heracross has decent speed in the tier, and a good move pool to pull from.
I agree. Scarfcross was great in OU, and will probably be even better in UU, but I think I might try Jolly Life Orb. Just needs something to take care of Arcanine, Weezing, and Offensive Moltres and such. NO MORE SKARMORY? HEATRAN? GLISCOR? Time to play, Heracross. :U

Expert Belt bait-Hera seems like a pretty epic choice for UU.

"Oh no, Registeel, I'm locked into Megahorn - come right on in ... HAHA CLOSE COMBAT MOTHER FUCKER!"

Hmm I think sub hera would be good hehehe *goes to team building*

Also weavile is a okay pokemon. Not the best but it deserves more credit, instead of being called a "newb pokemon". Ninjask is good at the bottom of the tier since it's easier to pull of a sweep there. Dusknoir has a few niches over rotom-a but it generally outcalssed, (maybe people are using their wifi teams? and have no access to rotom-a?). Electivire is bad. But with a boost it can hurt teams at the bottom of the tier.

Hmm I think sub hera would be good hehehe *goes to team building*

Also weavile is a okay pokemon. Not the best but it deserves more credit, instead of being called a "newb pokemon". Ninjask is good at the bottom of the tier since it's easier to pull of a sweep there. Dusknoir has a few niches over rotom-a but it generally outcalssed, (maybe people are using their wifi teams? and have no access to rotom-a?). Electivire is bad. But with a boost it can hurt teams at the bottom of the tier.
Dusknoir is heavily underrated. The ghost can take quite a beating before it goes down. I think once I managed to live Scarftar Crunch to burn it, took two Shadow Balls from Gengar and Shadow Snuck it to death in two hits, and it's a hell of a support Pokemon with nifty little things like GravityQuake, Wisps, Trick Room abuse, and more. I can see why it could have stayed as OU rather easily after using it. The problem is that people want Ghosts to sweep, which Rotom and Gengar do much better.

I still managed to pull a few Dusknoir sweeps off before though. :3

Expert Belt bait-Hera seems like a pretty epic choice for UU.

"Oh no, Registeel, I'm locked into Megahorn - come right on in ... HAHA CLOSE COMBAT MOTHER FUCKER!"
LMAO. Heracross is gonna be broken in so many ways, its not even funny. His Bulk Up set will probably even be broken.

Weavile is only around because many teams suck against LO Starmie and SubSplit Gengar. Those 2 are damn near impossible to counter but Weavile can come in Pursuit those assholes to death. Ninjask can be of good use if you decide to just pass Speed and have a Rapid Spinner so Ninjask can do it again. Electivire is OK but he can be annoying with a Speed boost because Gyarados attracts Electric attacks like Scizor attracts Fire.

(which is easy because it has flawless synergy with Starmie)
Bug?

Heracross dropping into UU is not being heracross isn't viable. Heracross is very viable in OU, with t-wave support the flame orb set wrecks everything (defensive rotom and standard gyarados can be 2HKOd by megahorn. When paired with things like aqua tail CBtar or gengar (turns most gliscor into setup foder), even the best counter can't wall him forever. The problem is, that no one really knows hera's potential outside the lame scarf set and automanically think that ape/luke/breloom/machump are better.

Shaymin is OU worthy. Seed flare and earthpower makes even things like ape and heatran have to worry. If shaymin runs HP fire, all scizor can do is pick off a weakened one. (not easy due to natural rest)

EDIT: And electivire pisses me off. It can't KO anything bulky. That's it. Get a motor drive boost, deal 70% to celebi or heatran, and die. Much better than heracross. Weavile gets destroyed by scarftran, scizor, infernape, gyarados, jirachi, metagross, machamp, ect because of its weak moves.

Yeah, now that people have brought it up.. How HAVE Electivire, Weavile and Ninjask stayed OU for the entire duration of Gen IV? Are there really that many terrible people hanging out on the ladder?
Almost makes one wish the Tier Lists were at least partially weighted by usage at the top of the ladder. Right now every Pokemon used by anyone is worth the same.

I'm curious what the ladder would look like if the best battlers' teams were of more value than those of us near the bottom (and I include myself amongst the bottom).

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heracross will wreck shit up, no doubt.

However, and (as predicted) Shaymin climbs in usage with the banning of Salamence to Uber.
Honestly, this has more to do with Latias' ban than Salamence's. Shaymin can beat Salamence if it has to, and SR stops Salamence from being anyone's counter. Shaymin . . . cannot beat Latias . . .

I'm surprised Umbreon keeps its OU status . . . wtf? Umbreon > Heracross? Am I missing something?

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well, there goes my chances of trying out UU. More centralized than OU, people say, and Heracross was added to the mix.

Oh, and

I'm surprised Umbreon keeps its OU status . . . wtf? Umbreon > Heracross? Am I missing something?
It depends on both of their performances in their respective tiers. Don't take any arguement that they will be worse in an upper tier. If it's too hard to handle in a lower tier, it's banned. Its performance in an upper tier will never apply unless it has already been moved and is debated.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It depends on both of their performances in their respective tiers. Don't take any arguement that they will be worse in an upper tier. If it's too hard to handle in a lower tier, it's banned. Its performance in an upper tier will never apply unless it has already been moved and is debated.
Want to try a sentence that has actual content? Jibberish, much?

I'm saying, straight out, that Heracross is better suited for the OU metagame than Umbreon. Period.

Also that I would personally take Heracross on my team over Umbreon any day (though frankly, I would never use either . . .).

With Machamp use at an all-time high, Scizor still at #2, and fighting pokemon in general with greater popularity . . . Umbreon? No, just no . . . There are a bunch of UU pokemon I think more effective than Umbreon. Well, there are a bunch of UU pokemon I think more effective than Electivire too, but then . . .

Time to build a new UU team! Go Heracross! Might as well have fun while it lasts, even though I personally don't think he will be as broken as many people think.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Let's use Heracross in OU so it can rise again before they make a B/W simulator! Heracross needs to be OU because it is cool!

Also, Smeargle for UU. And I'm not using Heracross in my UU team.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Want to try a sentence that has actual content? Jibberish, much?
Well, I tried. :P

But seriously, from what I'm hearing from UU players, they were kind of happy that Umbreon got banned to OU because it was a prick to shoot down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)