Nidoking

Yeah, Claw Sharpen is an ideal move for certain things and it's by no means terrible.

I think Nidoking boils down to either a stallbreaker (very powerful) that gets outsped by faster, stronger things, or a Scarf variant that loses a lot of power. Sort of a hard choice to make, in my opinion.
Claw Sharpen is ideal for things that have bad stats, bad movepools, or no other boosting moves. Nidoking doesn't possess those qualities

Claw Sharpen is ideal for things that have bad stats, bad movepools, or no other boosting moves. Nidoking doesn't possess those qualities
Not necessarily. Claw Sharpen is ideal for things that need an attack boost and can use a accuracy increase. For instance, Hustle users GREATLY benefit from Claw Sharpen, such as Aianto

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
LOLOL with DynamicPunch lolol...
Out of the picture. I am not buying it. Even if Dynamic Punch is to be confirmed with Dream World abilities, it's highly unusable with Claw Sharpen because the boost in accuracy is quite weaker than you think. In reality, the boost for Dynamic Punch is from 50 to 66 with the Sharpen Boost according to someone on the Claw Sharpen thread. The rest of his other attacks don't need much help in the accuracy or Special Attack department.

I personally think Nidoking should be abusing his new ability with purely Special or mixed sets, not trying to gimmick Claw Sharpen when you have Blaziken (he wants Swords Dance instead) and Aianto.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nidoking impressed the hell out of me yesterday. This is what happened in about 75% of my matches: pass a Butterfly Dance, sweep. The other 25% was either a loss or a Roopushin sweep. :P

AccidentalGreed

Nidoking impressed the hell out of me yesterday. This is what happened in about 75% of my matches: pass a Butterfly Dance, sweep. The other 25% was either a loss or a Roopushin sweep. :P
Was there any problems in particular that caused your losses or the end of Nidoking's sweeps? I'm guessing the consistent problem for any sweeping Pokemon is Sandstorm and Doryuuzu, because of Doryuuzu's doubled Speed in Sandstorm, so you'll need three butterfly Dances.

Butterfly Dance Pass + Nidoking actually sounds good right about now.

SJCrew

Was there any problems in particular that caused your losses or the end of Nidoking's sweeps? I'm guessing the consistent problem for any sweeping Pokemon is Sandstorm and Doryuuzu
uh wow, that was a pretty easy guess lol

To be fair though, one of those losses were my fault. I put Dory to sleep, then instead of switching in Nidoking right away, I kept hitting him with Bug Buzz. >_>

Can a Butterfly Dance Nidoking be revenged by Ditto? The SpD bonuses balance out the SpA bonuses and Ditto wouldn't get Life Orb or Encourage boosts. Could it OHKO with Earth Power?

I´m pretty sure Ditto also copies the ability of its opponent. So Encourage still works. Problem is, even if Ditto can´t KO King, King probably can´t KO either(even with LO, but I didn´t calc).

SJCrew

It definitely copies Encourage, and even if by some miracle Nido couldn't KO a sweeper with its super effective STAB alone, Encourage ensures the kill.

But my teams are usually built well enough that a one-move counter sweep is not possible, so the occasional Ditto does not worry me.

Wow, this is AMAZINGLY good at breaking stall w/o Blissey. Even so, Blissey does jack shit to it, since Nidoking is immune to Toxic and Thunder Wave.

Wouldn't be so bad if Focus Blast didn't have lol accuracy.

But I'd rather not run FB. I prefer the elemental beams and Earth Power as the standard set. Just pair him with a Roobushin and start wrecking Blissey's.

With a Modest nature you can do 39.5% - 46.5% to 252/0 Blissey. Timid does 36.1% - 42.6%. I think you forgot to multiply Focus Blast by 1.3, because it has the secondary effect of lowering special defense 10% of the time so it is boosted by Encourage. That isn't horrible, giving the circumstances. Still I think it's best to switch out of Blissey to something that can threaten her. Tyranitar actually works nicely, and the sand helps Nidoking take down some walls.

SJCrew

Alternatively, you can pair him up with Venomoth and pass him some Butterfly Dances so that your damage output starts to look like this: 58.8% - 69.5% after a single dance, and even run over an entire team with two. Ditto be damned.

not really stallbreaking to my stall team. ohhh i have 125 base SpA im gonna kill things on stall.....
Mew use light screen !!!!! mew use will-o wisp !!!!!
Nidoking fainted (take that) Also
Ice Beam get freeze hax T bolt parahax ad nauseum
Synchronize. lol

Then my second stall variants
T bolt Ftw !!!! randorusu appear
same as above....... Garchomp appear

Lesson : stall team have filler slot after all. Also prediction is essential on Nidoking

Otherwise i must agree Nidoking is very good.

not really stallbreaking to my stall team. ohhh i have 125 base SpA im gonna kill things on stall.....
Mew use light screen !!!!! mew use will-o wisp !!!!!
Nidoking fainted (take that) Also
Ice Beam get freeze hax T bolt parahax ad nauseum
Synchronize. lol

Then my second stall variants
T bolt Ftw !!!! randorusu appear
same as above....... Garchomp appear

Lesson : stall team have filler slot after all. Also prediction is essential on Nidoking

Otherwise i must agree Nidoking is very good.
Thunderbolt and Ice Beam will never paralyze or freeze, respectively, because Encourage removes their secondary effects. Still, Nidoking should switch out.

Encourage Nidoking is best used scarf as a revenge killer with That wicked special move pool he can punch holes into opponents teams I tend to use him to cover weakness of my offensive teams.

AccidentalGreed

At least one of your team members should be resistant to a predictable Nidoking attack if you yourself are using Nidoking. As people said before, "Ditto be damned". Perhaps Bronzong should be used for extreme safety since Ditto WILL use Earth Power or Ice Beam on the Danced Nidoking. It will be less likely that Ditto will Ice Beam, however, so a simple Ground immunity will do.

At least one of your team members should be resistant to a predictable Nidoking attack if you yourself are using Nidoking. As people said before, "Ditto be damned". Perhaps Bronzong should be used for extreme safety since Ditto WILL use Earth Power or Ice Beam on the Danced Nidoking. It will be less likely that Ditto will Ice Beam, however, so a simple Ground immunity will do.
Why would it be less likely? Players understand Flying-types and Levitate and Pokemon with Balloon are immune to Ground... nothing is immune to Ice. So you either KO the Nidoking or do a good chunk to whatever switches in. Ice Beam is the safest option.

AccidentalGreed

Why would it be less likely? Players understand Flying-types and Levitate and Pokemon with Balloon are immune to Ground... nothing is immune to Ice. So you either KO the Nidoking or do a good chunk to whatever switches in. Ice Beam is the safest option.
Ah, yes. Ice Beam is what I'm afraid about in this kind of situation. I think it depends on the mentality of players of either using a super powerful STAB move or a move that doesn't have any immunities. I'd have a Steel-type or a levitating Pokemon or any combination of this in any case.

Assuming Eccentric Ditto IS released.

Thunderbolt and Ice Beam will never paralyze or freeze, respectively, because Encourage removes their secondary effects. Still, Nidoking should switch out.
Yup i just remembered encourage effect a moment ago.
Something that is stallbreaking is not something that break with power. Its something that hinder their work. Thus gliscor is called stallbreaker
(Although Full Stall team play with gliscor) well also theres stall breaker we know as stall mew.

Since its about nidoking. I might try LO set with omfg refined stall mew support IN the sand with Terakion or randorusu as a partner then add someone to fill the gap.
Looks good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)