Pokémon Noivern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised more people haven't tried it as a rain + hurricane spam machine.

Noviern
252 spatk / 252 spe / 4 HP
Choice Specs
Timid
Infiltrator

Hurricane
Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
U-Turn
Switcheroo

Do steel types wall you? Sure. You can't run fire viably in rain anyway though, and it's not getting any good ground moves. Teammates should take care of those. With flamethrower not being an option, it's better to just stick to STABs, as many people said in this topic he just isn't that strong using coverage moves.

But think of this guy as a faster tornadus-t. Hurricane is the 99% move, and makes that 97 SpAtk look a lot better. Don't underestimate u-turn on a specs set, the scouting is still great and something like boomburst would just be redundant coverage. I don't know if you've ever switcheroo'd something behind a sub, but getting choice specs onto something like SubDD gyarados is a pretty hilarious way to stop a sweep cold.

I really like the utility sets with Frisk and U-turn. It can give you the initiative on some turn 1 leads or it could choose to show up later to demystify the set your opponent is using on something like a politoed or a garchomp. From my experience Frisk has been useful and gave me critical information in half of the battles.

I'm thinking of a set with
Noivern
Timid
4HP/252SpA/252Spe
Switcheroo
Taunt
Draco Meteor
U-Turn

I would imagine that it would work well as a lead, but I am having trouble deciding what item and ability I should get it.

I feel as if a noivern with
Ability: Infiltrator
Nature: Modest
IVs: 252 Sp. Att., 252 Speed, 6 HP.
Moves:
Airslash, Boomburst, Dragon Pulse, and Flamethrower.
is a great combo. You get a widfe variety of coverage, and two STAB moves and a move with great power for fairy types. If it's a mawile or Klefki, hit it with Flamethrower. I just think Infiltrator is great, even though Boomburst goes through subs and such anyway. Anyway, this is the set I'll be running.
i also believe that hurricane is near useless because of its awful accuracy. It would be great if it had an 80 or 85 accuracy or something. Draco Meteor is a pretty much last resort attack and I feel shouldn't be used.

Last edited:
Moves:
is a great combo. You get a widfe variety of coverage, and two STAB moves and a move with great power for fairy types. If it's a mawile or Klefki, hit it with Flamethrower. I just think Infiltrator is great, even though Boomburst goes through subs and such anyway. Anyway, this is the set I'll be running.
i also believe that hurricane is near useless because of its awful accuracy. It would be great if it had an 80 or 85 accuracy or something. Draco Meteor is a pretty much last resort attack and I feel shouldn't be used.
Never run modest, the point in using this guy is that he outspeeds so many things. If you want to run an attacking set use:

Noivern @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Hurricane / Air Slash

Boomburst is unnecessary on this set as we're running infiltrator anyways which accounts for half of boomburst's utility anyways. Draco and Hurricane are best IMO because Noivern really does need the power although Air Slash is very viable for reliable STAB.

Never run modest, the point in using this guy is that he outspeeds so many things. If you want to run an attacking set use:

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Hurricane / Air Slash

Boomburst is unnecessary on this set as we're running infiltrator anyways which accounts for half of boomburst's utility anyways. Draco and Hurricane are best IMO because Noivern really does need the power although Air Slash is very viable for reliable STAB.
Boomburst outdamages Dragon Pulse against neutral opponents. That's its main utility, it's generally good damage against things you can't hit SE.

That's what I'm getting at. Noivern is a jack of all trades, master of none, he's fairly well rounded across the board, but he excels at nothing save for that great Speed Stat, which makes it hard for him to differentiate himself with stuff that have excellent Defenses like Gliscor or Skarm, but can be dealt with Special Fire and Ice moves. Basically, outside of Speed, Noivern dosent really have a Niche to use it over something like Garchomp or Salamence.

Also, Cheeze Ballz, I'm gonna disagree on the EV Training segment. Just because something is more accessable dosent make it bad. I did not want to go out of my way to IV Breed and EV Train in Gen V, leaving me to playing on PS!, but now that X and Y make it simple and easy to get Competitive Ready Pokemon, I actually find myself breeding Pokemon like none else.
I disagree he is a great revenge killer for the people saying there are better revenge killers I have to disagree that he is completely outclassed in that department for one massive reason alone. Infiltrator makes it to where he can pick up a revenge kill or force out a pokemon under far more conditions than most. He isn't hinders by screens which is huge since priority screens is a thing now, he hits behind subs meaning if you set up a sub with no priority and you're hanging on a life line you either have to switch or just die. Not to mention he and flygon are the only u-turning dragons which is scary as hell if you think about how many switches dragon types can force thanks to their numerous resistances.

Those alone are good reasons to run him over chomp or mence

Would this be good or is sacrificing too much just to be utility?

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Frisk
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Taunt
- Switcheroo
- U-Turn

I'm also using Mega Manectric and Rotom-W with Volt Switch, so I figure having this guy pop in and out every once in awhile with U-turn to switch up items or taunt might help the other two out. Boomburst is there for just general offensive presence since I'm sure it can get some jobs done on it's own too. I'm just not sure if missing out on Roost or even another attack like Flamethrower or something is a good idea. I haven't bred for good Noivern yet, so I don't really know how brittle he is. 85/80/80 sounds pretty ok, but not sure if beefy enough to skip out on Roost. Then again I'm not even sure what would be good to get rid of on this set.

Something else, but I wanted to ask if he's a good lead Pokemon. Currently have plans for a Scolipede to lead, but not sure which would be better.

I disagree he is a great revenge killer for the people saying there are better revenge killers I have to disagree that he is completely outclassed in that department for one massive reason alone. Infiltrator makes it to where he can pick up a revenge kill or force out a pokemon under far more conditions than most. He isn't hinders by screens which is huge since priority screens is a thing now, he hits behind subs meaning if you set up a sub with no priority and you're hanging on a life line you either have to switch or just die. Not to mention he and flygon are the only u-turning dragons which is scary as hell if you think about how many switches dragon types can force thanks to their numerous resistances.

Those alone are good reasons to run him over chomp or mence
There is also one very fun idea I've been running him as:

Item Sapper

Frisk + Switcheroo allows you a nice and easy way to completely drop a pokemon's usefulness on the first turn. Give him a burn orb or even choice specs or something and you've pretty much screwed over almost any pokemon on the enemies side. It doesn't matter if Noivern "Can" use the item he steals, just aim for ones with focus sash or life orb or something.

EDIT: Imagine stealing a garchomp's choice scarf/band for a burn orb and then swapping the choice scarf for leftovers on a blissey.

Last edited:
There is also one very fun idea I've been running him as:

Item Sapper

Frisk + Switcheroo allows you a nice and easy way to completely drop a pokemon's usefulness on the first turn. Give him a burn orb or even choice specs or something and you've pretty much screwed over almost any pokemon on the enemies side. It doesn't matter if Noivern "Can" use the item he steals, just aim for ones with focus sash or life orb or something.

EDIT: Imagine stealing a garchomp's choice scarf for a burn orb and then swapping the choice scarf for leftovers on a blissey.
the problem with that garchomp scenario is that he'd kill you before you can switcheroo.

On the switch? This is all hypothetical.

Noivern is fast. REALLY fast. It just takes the right thinking and you can apply it.
I mean, i've faced this situation over and over again.
I lead with noivern (frisk is awesome), they lead with a choicescarfed (insert dragon here). In these cases, going for switcheroo (if i was using it) would be suicidal, since the opponent would just use the dragon move of choice and demolish me.

Moves:
I've been running this set, except with Timid, and I've had general success. I've been using a Life Orb, and have been annihilating a lot of guys who insist on Subs on Light Screen for survival. When all is said and done, it's not a phenomenal guy, or set, but Infiltrator Noivern has interesting uses that shouldn't be underestimated.

Is Boomburst viable? I feel like a 140bp 100% accuracy move with no drawbacks (apparently) probably deserve a place on a moveset somewhere.
you miss out on coverage and stab if run boomburst over moves like draco meteor, hurricane, u-turn or flamethrower. boomburst is much better used on a pokemon like chatot or exploud who can abuse it with their type, moveset and abilities

you miss out on coverage and stab if run boomburst over moves like draco meteor, hurricane, u-turn or flamethrower. boomburst is much better used on a pokemon like chatot or exploud who can abuse it with their type, moveset and abilities
It's incredibly useful if you're using it on a frisk lead ( I love it), as it gives you a way to bypass subs (screw gliscor).

It also gives you an easily spammed move without fearing spatk drops, or misses.

I mean, i've faced this situation over and over again.
I lead with noivern (frisk is awesome), they lead with a choicescarfed (insert dragon here). In these cases, going for switcheroo (if i was using it) would be suicidal, since the opponent would just use the dragon move of choice and demolish me.
Give him a burn orb and he could sap Cresselia/Blissey/most special walls.

Noivern has great applications. I'm just trying to be creative with him.

This would be the set I would use.
Infiltrator
252 SpAtk/Speed 4 HP
Modest
-Dragon Pulse
-Hurricane/Air Slash
-U-Turn
-Flamethrower/Dark Pulse
Yea, I would definitely take Infiltrator as passing through Sub seems amazing to me, although I do see the advantage to Frisk. U-Turn to scout and just keep momentum going. Dragon Pulse for the dragon STAB. Hurricane if on a rain team otherwise I would take Air Slash for STAB. I just generally like Dark Pulse as the flinch chance is a nice bonus but Flamethrower could be used as a coverage move for ice types.

Infiltrator
252 SpAtk/Speed 4 HP
Modest
-Dragon Pulse
-Hurricane/Air Slash
-U-Turn
-Flamethrower/Dark Pulse
Yea, I would definitely take Infiltrator as passing through Sub seems amazing to me, although I do see the advantage to Frisk. U-Turn to scout and just keep momentum going. Dragon Pulse for the dragon STAB. Hurricane if on a rain team otherwise I would take Air Slash for STAB. I just generally like Dark Pulse as the flinch chance is a nice bonus but Flamethrower could be used as a coverage move for ice types.
Noivern's high speed is the major reason to use it, I feel. Modest gives it that extra oomph, but Timid (or, if you want U-Turn to work better, even Naive, since Noivern's not really gonna be able to take a strong Dazzling Gleam/Moonblast/Ice Beam) enables it to outspeed other Pokes and act as a revenge killer.

Infiltrator
252 SpAtk/Speed 4 HP
Modest
-Dragon Pulse
-Hurricane/Air Slash
-U-Turn
-Flamethrower/Dark Pulse
The thing about dragon pulse is:
boomburst does more, even counting stab. You're only hitting more if you hit a dragon, but if you want to kill dragons, you might as well run draco meteors and go for even more power.

Air Slash is even worse. Fighting types are getting more rare (as far as i've seen), and flamethrower already hits grass/bugs.

That's the nice thing about boomburst, is that the raw power of the move means it will usually tie/overtake a lot of moves, on almost any poke that gets it (which isn't a lot). I seriously feel the move is a big reason to use Noivern over crobat, other than the obvious spatk vs atk difference.

I am currently running

252 SpAtk/Speed 4 HP
Timid
BOOMburst
Flamethrower
Draco Meteor
U Turn

Keeps me safe with good coverage.
Looks like Flamethrower is almost required for all pokes nowadays...

Last edited:
With all the main sets listing Timid as the go to nature, is the difference in damage minimal if you used naive since its mainly for chip damage and pivoting, or it timid still best even with U-turn? I was just thinking of breeding one because it looks cool, and boomburst sounds a fun move.

I keep hearing debates on Noivern vs Crobat in terms of "which one is better". Honestly, they are both similar, but different Pokemon.

They both have Infiltrator to get through all the PokeProtection, Taunt, U-Turn, Roost, and a couple other things, but their jobs are, generally, different.

Crobat has an, overall, better Defensive Typing and Defog. It's more the "Quick Supporter" Pokemon with a passable Offense. Brave Bird, Cross Poison/Poison Fang, U-Turn--decent choices for attack or support. Defog is big, though, making Crobat a nice option for teams.

Noivern fits more the Offensive Infiltrator role. It has a usable Special Attack with great moves like Boomburst, Flamethrower, Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor, Hurricane...good ones. They can easily be used to bypass the opponent's barriers of defense, like Substitute, to hit them harder. Switcheroo...oh dear, that move...enough said.

I like Crobat. I...honestly love it. I don't even know why these two are always compared if their primary jobs are on different spectrums. Noivern is a different breed and an odd little thing. That...that's kind of why I think it's not a bad Dragon-Type. I don't think it's any Salamence, Latias, or Dragonite, but it's definitely solid. It has the speed, the Special Attack, the ability, the movepool, and the typing to stand out among its brothers and sisters. Plus, as long as we don't get a Dragon-Type as lousy as Altaria, we're in good hands.

I am currently running

252 SpAtk/Speed 4 HP
Timid
BOOMburst
Flamethrower
Draco Meteor
U Turn

Keeps me safe with good coverage.
Looks like Flamethrower is almost required for all pokes nowadays...
This is the set I'm running too. What item do you use? Choice specs for the extra oomph or Life Orb to revenge kill then U-Turn away from a counter?

Would a Choiced Frisk Switcheroo set be viable? It's super fast, so it could easily get a Switcheroo off on a defensive Pokémon, although if the opponent guesses that and switches a MEvo out, or a Choiced Pokémon to absorb the Switcheroo, the surprise factor is kaputted, and Noivern could potentially be one-shot because its' fragility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)