Nordic Gods

My first RMT in years. I've been studying a bit and hoping to get back into the game, and also with more success than I'd had before. I feel I've built a solid balanced team, but I have no idea its merit in this metagame.

|
|
|
|
|

Honestly, my team building section is quite embarrassing considering I have no idea what I'm doing. Take a look here and maybe point out some key problems.

|

So I started with these two. I saw Terrakion as an easy to use sweeper, that on it's own could win plenty of games for me. I like the unpredictability of Mew and thought a Nasty Plot set would compliment the Terrakion set to hit a lot of the game hard between the two.
|
|

Next, I needed a way to kill Psychics and Ghosts to complete my offensive core. So I decided to add on Scizor.
|
|
|

Next, I needed a bulky Water. I chose Tentacruel as an all bulky Water that will fill many other roles, such as Toxic Spiker, Toxic Spikes absorber, and Spinner. Just too good to pass up.
|
|
|
|

To compliment Tentacruel in wall some of the meta game and set up entry hazards, I added Gliscor. Always been a favorite Pokemon of mine and seemed perfect with Tentacruel.
|
|
|
|
|

To finish off the team, I decided to add Porygon2. He was a major part of my success in WiFi games when BW first came out, and I saw I had plenty of Fighting resists so I figured he would be a great glue Pokemon for the team.

Vali (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

I choice Thunder Wave over Toxic because the team already has Toxic Spike support. The rest of the set is standard BoltBeam and Recover.

Odin (Mew) @ Life Orb
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain

Mew is my special sweeper made to blast through plenty of Pokemon. Psyshock for STAB and hitting Special Walls hard. Fire Blast decimates Steels not named Heatran. Giga Drain could just as easily be Energy Ball or Grass Knot, but I felt Giga Drain would give it the longevity to sweep for extended periods while still hitting bulky Waters hard.

Tyr (Scizor) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Atk / 148 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

I had no way to beat Psychics or Ghosts between Mew and Terrakion, so Scizor was added. Standard set. I also love U-turn, and he's my only user.

Aegir (Tentacruel) (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect

I have no idea what this guy can't do. Solid bulky Water with support this team can absolutely abuse. Toxic Spikes kills the longevity of plenty of Pokemon, and while I don't have any Rock weak Pokemon it's nice to have a Spinner in case I come up against a heavy entry hazard team, and Scald is just too good to leave off a team.

Thor (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

Let's punch things.

Njord (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Substitute
- Earthquake

The most annoying Pokemon on my team. It's just mean. Toxic Spikes allow me to use both Earthquake and Stealth Rock which greatly aids my team.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hi. Your team is indeed interesting, however Special attackers with Speed higher than your Mew's one look like a large problem. Specs, Rain-boosted Hydro Pumps can easily tear your team apart if Tentacruel gets eliminated (for example by Dugtrio, which is quite common these days, or by a Specs-boosted SE HP Electric). Also, things like Sheer Force Lando-I can be a headache, since it OHKOs or 2HKOs all of your team while you are unable to do anything back (it outspeeds everything bar Terrakion, that can't OHKO if Stone Edge doesn't crit). To solve this problem I'd suggest a Specially Defensive Celebi instead of your Porygon. Celebi can take everything Lando-I commonly carries, since HP Ice is not boosted by Sheer Force and it's only a 3HKO, allowing you to Recover stall the LO recoil; also, Keldeo is not threatening at all since the best it can do is Specs HP Ghost / Ice, which hardly ever 2HKOs, and you can easily switch to a resistance (and if it doesn't carry Specs, well, it can't 2HKO at all). It would also give you an additional Ground resist, which is not bad since you already have 2 weaknesses and only 1 immunity, and it can somewhat check Breloom if your Gliscor gets injured or Spored. Losing Porygon2 hurts a bit your physical tankiness, however Gliscor is a boss and can take almost everything, while Scizor can absorb Outrages and Roost / Bullet Punch, or even trap the Dragon if need to be (not to mention that Terrakion can revenge basically any Dragon except Lati@s at +1, provided SR is on the field).

Celebi @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
Calm | 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice / Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock
- Perish Song / Reflect / Stealth Rock

Celebi could also carry Stealth Rock if you need to, freeing a slot on Gliscor that could then afford to use Taunt. Taunt avoids the nasty situation of Skarmory switching on you and doing basically what it pleases, and also cripples Gengar somewhat on the switch (you can then go to Scizor, that comfortably takes 2 unboosted Focus Blasts and traps with Pursuit). It also generally prevents set-up, which can indeed be useful on a poke with mono-Ground coverage (think Balloon Heatran or Balloon Magnezone).

Hope it helped. Good luck.

Hi, interesting looking team you have here!
I am gunna say Increase Terrakions description though..

When ever I build or rate a team, I have made a guide that I use as reference. In this guide I have analysed all the teams that peak top 5 that are posted here. And from this ino that the majority of the "best" and strongest teams have a bulky steel type. And tend to not bother with Spinners. This makes me think that Tentacruel and/ or Porygon can be replaced. Tentacruel allready has a ground weekness so swapping Jirachi > Tentacruel wont hurt as Jirachi has a lot of resists. A bulky Jirachi can dpread status, take hits, and prove quite the "annoyer" for your opponant.

As Ganj said above, Lando Incarnate can OHKO and 2HKO your entire team. To render this issue im going to suggest Roserade > Porygon2 (Roserade > Celebi as Roserade keeps toxic Spikes support and doesnt share psychic typing with your team, whilst removing toxic spikes from your side of the field, with similar offensive style as Celebi)
This will sacrifice bulk, for offense, however that offense is needed to deal with Lando.

Another suggestion is metal coat > life orb. This allows you to bluff a choiced set, and improve longativity, whilst still dealing chunks with your STAB BP.

Aswell as Rocks on my Jirachi, freeing up a slot on gliscor for toxic, making it more reliable. Or I guess taunt if you feel that would be more beneficial as you have Toxic Spikes support. Id still go Toxic, as opposing Tentacruel can render your Gliscor more useless as they remove the spikes. You could also run baton pass over Stealth Rock so you can pass substitutes to other pokemon on your team.

The Sets:
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Serene Grace | 252 Hp / 252 SpDef / 4 SpA
Body Slam | Stealth Rock | Iron Head | U Turn

Roserade @ Life Orb/ Focus Sash
Natural Cure | 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Hp (Timid)
Toxic Spikes/ Spikes | Sleep Powder | Hidden Power (Ice) | Leaf Storm/ Giga Drain

Tl;dr

Scizor
Metal Coat > Life Orb

Gliscor
Toxic > Stealth Rock
or
Taunt > Stealth Rock
or
Baton Pass > Stealth Rock

Hope these suggestions help!
Good luck with the team!

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey there,

This is a pretty creative team, but I do see a few weaknesses. Before I start the rate, I just want to comment saying that I would recommend increasing the length of your descriptions. This will help raters analyze your team and will lower the chances of the thread being locked.

Anyways, like Gan4lf said, Specs Rain Boosted Water-Type attacks really do a number on your team, but I don't think Celebi alone would be the answer. At the moment Porygon2 is your main check to Tornadus-T, and without Porygon2 you are seriously hurt by it. Celebi would further your weakness to Tornadus-T, and without Thunder Wave, it gives him another Pokemon to come in on and spam Hurricanes. For this reason I would recommend, in addition to Gan4alfs changes, running Bronzong over Gliscor. Bronzong still does much of what Gliscor does, but is a very reliable answer to Tornadus-T. It doesn't mind coming in on Hurricanes (what your Porygon did), and can give you reliable resistances while still laying Stealth Rocks. Hope I helped, and GL.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Howdy

I'd like to start off with saying (no offense intended) that you could use some help getting in touch with the metagame. When you go on the suspect ladder, those pokemon are not going to be threats you see, there are bigger ones to deal with. This seems to me like a fairly good summation of the kinds of things you will see as well as the RMT threatlist. Abusing Toxic Spikes is not effective in this metagame and Nasty Plot Mew / Choice Scarf Terrakion are not the big attackers. Mew is not the most powerful attacker and has problems with the popularity of Lati@s and Scarf Genesect, while Scarf Terrakion is not meant to be an attacker in the first place as much as a revenge killer.

If you want to keep running this it is a decent balance team (although outclassed by standard weather / Deo-D offense) and it can be molded into a decent stall team by implementing already suggested changes for a lineup of Celebi / Mew / Scizor / Tenta / Scarf Terrakion / Bronzong and changing Mew to a bulky stallbreaker set but it is broken fairly easily by Thundurus-T among other BW threats. You could somewhat relieve this and help beat other weathers by running Scarf Tyranitar over Terrakion but no matter how we rework it it's not going to play out terribly well against common team archetypes in real battles. The issue isn't as much about being able to handle all individual threats as much as actually being able to beat the other teams, there are too many weapons for offense these days for an optimized stall team to compete.

If you would like advice on where to go with a different team idea I'm glad to help, good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)