np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehy

Banned deucer.
But the whole point of such an affair is to be ready for an overwhelming threat, drifloon. If the hazards nullify the sash against a boosted opponent, you won't get a chance to heal it off.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So how do you guys deal with CBTerrakion? One wrong move on my part and I pretty much have a dead / fodder poke. Doesn't help that I pack a Volcarona (no Sun), which allows Terrakion to switch in with impunity. The fact that ScarfTerrakion is more common is a saving grace.

So how do you guys deal with CBTerrakion? One wrong move on my part and I pretty much have a dead / fodder poke. Doesn't help that I pack a Volcarona (no Sun), which allows Terrakion to switch in with impunity. The fact that ScarfTerrakion is more common is a saving grace.
oh, but didn't you know? Foddering a pokemon every time a threat switches in is totally okay and having resists lose a huge amount of HP is fine./Latioshate

But seriously, I send a resist to the move I think he's going to make and if it dies, I just send in the other resist or Scizor or something...yes, it's annoying to deal with :(

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I fodder something then either scare it out with Scizor or Bullet Punch it with Scizor.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I fodder something then either scare it out with Scizor or Bullet Punch it with Scizor.
The opponent can just switch in Heatran or something.

Probably the best way to deal with CB Terrakion is Slowbro, followed by Mew. But both those pokes rarely see usage, and most people simply just rely on revenge killing to deal with CB Terra.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
The opponent can just switch in Heatran or something.

Probably the best way to deal with CB Terrakion is Slowbro, followed by Mew. But both those pokes rarely see usage, and most people simply just rely on revenge killing to deal with CB Terra.
Team Preview would show me the guy has a Heatran, allowing me to either predict a Heatran switch and go for Superpower or U-turn out.

Back in the day when I used sun, I used Hitmontop or Donphan to counter Terrakion, both can take always 2 maximum attack hits factoring in leftovers, and of course if you do have a problem taking another close combat, you could always switch to something that resists it.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Scarfwynaut, Donphan and Hitmontop are 100% 2HKOed by CB Terrakion. Here are the list of mons that can survive 2 hits (Max HP / Max Def / + Def Nature; no SR) of its unresisted STAB moves:

Gliscor
Hippowdon
Celebi
Tangrowth
Slowbro
Skarmory
Mew
Forretress
Dusknoir / Dusclops @ Eviolite
Cofagrigus

yea, you're right NWO - Slowbro and Mew are probably the most reliable, since they have a solid recovery move. Gliscor and Hippowdon are solid as ever, and maybe even Tangrowth, thanks to Regeneration. Cofagrigus and Dusknoir / Dusclops are also worth a mention, despite the lack of reliable recovery, since they are IMMUNE to Close Combat.

^^^
Well, Jirachi has a small chance to survive 2 CB CC's, but it's unlikely. Same for Metagross (but no one runs max/max Metagross anyway).

If you want to dig into lower tiers, there's stuff like Deo-D and Cresselia. Actually, looking at the list, a lot of Pokemon can avoid getting 2HKOed by its STABs (or at least have a good chance). It's just that most of them are like NU and not really good in OU... :\

@below: Give Claydol props, it has SR and RS... but no offensive presence... and no recovery... and Pursuit-weak...

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Use Golurk, who really couldn't care less about terrakion and sets up subs all over it. Pretty much the best counter you'll get aside from claydol...who just sucks.

Use Golurk, who really couldn't care less about terrakion and sets up subs all over it. Pretty much the best counter you'll get aside from claydol...who just sucks.
Claydol... Golurk... all 4 of the Regis... awesome designs, theoretically good concepts... whether it's movepool or stats, they're fairly disappointing (I would LOVE to use the Regis...), hopefully they're given some help in time -_-
How much would Gyro Ball help Registeel? Pointless wishes aside, Golurk will be getting No Guard, and Regice gets a function in hail teams, so not all is bad...

That tangent done with... I don't battle many of those (Terrakions) but I can see why they'd be a threat... I'd been throwing burns around a lot so physical attackers have been a little... less threatening than usual. >.>

Pocket

Hmm, wow, Golurk is surprisingly sturdy without any defense EVs; very impresive. I would want to use a non Substitute variant, if I want it to tank Terra's hits, though. Nidoqueen is worse, but it is also one of the safer switch-ins, too :d.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Claydol... Golurk... all 4 of the Regis... awesome designs, theoretically good concepts... whether it's movepool or stats, they're fairly disappointing (I would LOVE to use the Regis...), hopefully they're given some help in time -_-
How much would Gyro Ball help Registeel? Pointless wishes aside, Golurk will be getting No Guard, and Regice gets a function in hail teams, so not all is bad...

That tangent done with... I don't battle many of those (Terrakions) but I can see why they'd be a threat... I'd been throwing burns around a lot so physical attackers have been a little... less threatening than usual. >.>
Wait, how exactly do the Regis check Terrakion? They get absolutely crushed by close combat. Golurk will be making its way to the no mans land region of almost OU, but not quite along with Slowbro, Quagsire, Porygon2, and Jolteon. Claydol will need a serious buff to ever return to OU. While of the Regis, only Registeel will ever be any good competitively, but atm, there's Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Jirachi, so why would you bother with a lesser poke? Regirock and Regiice just don't have the typing or niche to work properly in OU. Regigigas is the joke of legendaries.

Wait, how exactly do the Regis check Terrakion? They get absolutely crushed by close combat. Golurk will be making its way to the no mans land region of almost OU, but not quite along with Slowbro, Quagsire, Porygon2, and Jolteon. Claydol will need a serious buff to ever return to OU. While of the Regis, only Registeel will ever be any good competitively, but atm, there's Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Jirachi, so why would you bother with a lesser poke? Regirock and Regiice just don't have the typing or niche to work properly in OU. Regigigas is the joke of legendaries.
That's why I called it a tangent. I wasn't saying they were checks or anything related to him, I was saying they, like Golurk and Claydol, were cool pokes who kinda got screwed over from the start. I've always loved the Regis and hope GF gives them some attention in the buffing department. The paragraph AFTER that was my response to Terrakion, as I didn't want my whole post to be a tangent.

Regirock and Registeel can Counter Close Combat back at least and setup SR/paralyze things as a utility.

Regirock and Registeel can Counter Close Combat back at least and setup SR/paralyze things as a utility.
252 Attack Adamant CB Terakion's CC vs Max HP / Max Defense Impish Regirock: 76.37-90.65%
The same CC vs Max HP / Max Defense Impish Registeel: 95.6-112.63%
Right...
Good luck setting up stuff after that.

My new team:

-SubDDRoost Dnite
-ChestoRest Volcarona
-Sp.Def HaxRachi
-Deoxys-S
-Rotom-W
-MB Espeon with Baton pass

Notice anything? :P
I got the idea from this thread.

Adamant CB <- what?

252Atk Life Orb Terrakion (Neutral) Close Combat vs 252HP/252Def Leftovers Regirock (+Def): 59% - 71% (216 - 260 HP).
46% - 54% with Baloon.

(otoh, Regis prefer SpDef EVs...)

@Kefka - :P haha, nice troll team. I consider using pokemon and their sets like that every now and then to show other people how much of a dick they make me

I spent a large portion of my day testing baton pass teams, since I figure actually testing them is better than just talking about what might happen.

I would estimate I did about 50 battles, which is a lot, especially for me.

I found one thing that absolutely consistently shut it down:

Hax.

But, imo, relying on hax to beat anything isn't a solution, nor should it be counted as a counter in any case.

Other things that I had issues with:

A sub/Dragon Tail Tyranitar. It shut down my stored power Espeon, kept my scizor from breaking its substitute with bullet punch, and generally stalled my team down.

However, it was going to die to a bullet punch when it got a critical on its DT, which again fell back to hax.

Drought teams gave me trouble more than once, but that was mostly because it caught me with Hypnosis outside of my Espeon, or hit me too hard with a boosted fire blast while Espeon was in.

Another thing that occasionally tripped me up was taunt, but again, that's only because I wasn't intelligent enough to switch in my Espeon.

Sableye leads with priority taunt shut down BP teams instantly. But Sableye is not very impressive outside of that one role (nor is Sub/DT tyranitar, really). It's nearly a stone cold counter, unless you manually switch to Espeon and bounce it's taunt right back, in which case it is game over.

I swept two teams with an Umbreon with Dark Pulse and Stored Power, which is sad.

I toxic stalled a team using a Gorebyss with Barrier, Aqua Ring, Amnesia, and Baton Pass. I didn't launch a single attack, except at his Jirachi, which did not like a +6 Earthquake as he tried to BS flinch hax my team to death.

A lot of people thought that they could switch a standard Tyranitar in on my Espeon and scare it off with Crunch or Pursuit, but that really wasn't effective, as Scizor in turn scared it away.

Some tried to boost up with me, which had various effectiveness (but no wins). I ran a Vaporeon with Roar to stop that altogether. I even had a BP vs BP battle, which ended after turn 21 when the first attack was launched (my espeon's stored power).

Overall, the scariest thing I did was to run a Politoed on my team, along with Vaporeon, Gorebyss, Thundurus, and fillers. Stupidly powerful, and I am surprised that more people aren't using it.

the number of auto-forfeits is pretty astounding, too.

Suggestion: instead of talking in circles all day with each other, let's get some actual data from actual battles.

Saying, "well, X pokemon could stop this with prediction and this move" just doesn't help.

Suggestion: instead of talking in circles all day with each other, let's get some actual data from actual battles.

Saying, "well, X pokemon could stop this with prediction and this move" just doesn't help.
You know that most people say those things about pokemon based on their experience with them in battles, right? And if they base it on a analysis, it's still right, as an analysis is made with the experience the writer has with the pokemon.
So please consider this when saying something like that.

Sorry if this has been discussed to death already, but how good is prankster sableye? In theory, it's priority wilowisp would excellent against the likes of exadrill, d-nite, the above terriakion, or just physical sweepers in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)