np: UU Stage 9 - Welcome Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hello my fellow UU players,

As you may have noticed, we recently had some cool introductions into our beautiful tier. For one, we're welcoming Virizion to UU for the very first time. The most beautiful of the musketeer quartet comes accompanied from the land of OU by fellow legends Mew, Meloetta, and Tornadus. We also welcomed Cofagrigus from the barren land known as RU.

Welcome Home, all of you.

That is all.

As an RU player, thank god Cof is gone.

And #Metagross2012.

Because Shift Gear Metagross is going to be released next year.. I know/hope it is.

Anyways, UU is such a fast-paced tier. It's hard to believe how many tier shifts go on. Virizion looks like a great special wall, Meloetta is going to interesting with seeing if her other forme is going to be used, and all of this is going to make rain more popular.

It's basically going to be OU without permarain and a fuckton of dragons.

I saw the topic and knew the song would somehow be referenced. Commence listening.

But I have already fallen in love with Virizion in the tier. It just has so much potential and versatility, not to mention useful typing as far as UU goes. Swords Dance + 3 attacks, Calm Mind, Work Up, bulky stalling, anti-lead, the list goes on and on (though it does lose horribly to Crobat, which is already prevalent enough just for checking Heracross/Mienshao). As for Meloetta, I could care less. Tornadus scares me, but luckily Raikou and SR still exist. Mew legitimately scares me, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to plan to counter it. Cue Baton Pass to Nidosomething.

Also, has anyone else noticed we got four legendaries and nothing non-legendary from OU? I kind of got out of the thinking that legendaries are any different from everything else when I got into competitive stuff, but that still seemed like a weird coincidence.

Also also, I don't tend to consider things that rise up to the tier being new additions, simply because they were always available. However, I'd like to see how much Cofag goes up in usage simply because it's now listed as in the tier as opposed to RU.

Well up till now, though I can't say I've laddered so much, I haven't had many problems with the new additions. I didn't even need to change an EV spread because of them. Virizion is much underwhelming before setting up, and even at +2 it can't get past Gligar unless it gets a Leaf Blade crit and Gligar has received prior damage (that is, with Stone Edge over HP Ice), while I don't really see the CM set having a big impact... If it gets more common, I might as well do something to check it. Tornadus looks scary, but the Special LO dies too quickly and the BU set lacks real power to get past physical walls (for the first one, people should try Sharp Beak over Life Orb, since I don't think the power difference is too notable and it will be spamming Hurricanes either way). Meloetta is too situational. In fact she's the only one that's swept me, but only because she got lucky with Relic Song's side effect on my +2 Slowbro, which otherwise completely countered her... And Mew, I faced it the most, but I don't know if it's because my low ranking matches me up with people that don't know how to use it or what, I feel like I've completely overestimated it. I was really scared at first because it's too unpredictable, but it seems that people are just getting familiar with it, since it hasn't proven to be half as threatening as it ought to be. I don't wanna make such a quick judgement with it, though. I'll give it a month, then its impact may be so huge that banning it could actually sound like an option...
I know it's just been around 48 hours since they've been available, but up till now, they don't really look overpowered and may settle just fine. After all, Mew's already been down here and hasn't been banished to BL, I don't know why they'd do it this time around. As for the other three, I guess time will tell...

In my Roserade team, I replaced Arcanine with Tornadus-I to welcome it back to UU. I think I underestimated its ability to break games in the metagame with an Acrobatics set. I hardly have to Bulk-Up half the time, as most Pokes just get OHKO'd by Flight Gem-boosted Acrobatics on Turn 1. It's sad that Ambipom outspeeds it, though. I didn't want Ambipom to be good against anything on my team, as that is just a sure sign that my team is awful if Ambipom can beat anything on it. That's really my only trouble with AcroNadus, though.

I've seen very little in regards to Meloetta and the others, though. I am currently undergoing some schemes to help the UU tier out, some of which is devising teams for her and Virizion so I get to try out all the new dropdowns and see how effective they are.

Hurricane Tornadus can do pretty much what it did in OU and just spam Hurricane once rain is up. Flying STAB is difficult to deal with in UU where steels are much less prevalent, and even the Pokemon who resist are going to be taking large chunks of damage, plus that confusion chance. Not to mention that thanks to Prankster it can always get Rain Dance up first, setting up the next teammate beautifully when it goes down.

If you've got something that can deal with Ambipom, Bronzong, and Raikou, Tornadus can go to town once it's in and doesn't need a lot of time to set up.

I am sad,

I keep trying to ladder with my acc Glalie, and when I think I am doing decently, the ladder resets ><.

On topic: What do you guys think of Raikou? He is almost always a star in every match I go against (running the standard CM/Sub). It isn't even the fact that I get a sub and CM up. Its just a matter of making the smart play while the opponent always goes for the safe play (I can't even count how many times I catch Flygon on the switch with Hp Ice).

Also, whoever mentioned Zoroark is awesome. The problem is I don't know if he is really that good, or if people are just poorly predicting.

On Chandelure: I know this was a while ago, but I honestly think this thing needs to carry a scarf. Chandelure, like heracross can be niche with its flexibilty to switch moves, or break walls respectively. But from my perspective, once I figure out neither pokemon has higher speed, they die soooo easily...

Haven't seen many Tornados, so I can't really comment on that. I will say Melloetta has been very underwhelming, while virizion suffers. He lacks a decent physical move pool for his the SD set, while suffers from relying on focus blase on his CM set. Maybe I am missing something though....

I'm really interested in what sets Cofagrigus runs and by that I mean beyond TR/Nasty plot.

Can anybody run some suggestions because I've never seen anything but the above set run on Cofagrigus.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Because that's the only set worth running. Unless you're into walls that just sit there and get set up on by everything--in which case try the defensive set.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
anyone else think heracross is kind of underwhelming now? Seems like people are overpreparing for him to the point that its made a great pokemon into merely above average.

from limited playing:
special tornadus is average in a tier without perma rain. Haven't run into BU yet though which might be good but i doubt it
mew is awesome as expected
virizion is pretty good too, most of its checks are SR weak which is really nice
meloetta... isn't being used right imo. I've only faced relicsonger physical moveset ones which basically suck in a metagame that's so anti-fighting type. Sub CM or CM 3 attacks seems a lot better but then you have to justify why you're using it over mew...

crobat is godly btw

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sub CM Meloetta has a Ghost immunity and dumps on every Ghost in the meta right now.

breh

強いだね
I haven't played UU in a while, but

With the recent ban of Sand Veil and Snow Cloak, how would people react to an unbanning of Snover and (possibly) minihippo (well, maybe it'll require a stout ban lol) from the tier?

Notable changes since the original ban:

Froslass cannot bs its way to a miss and can only bs its way with Cursed Body (which better and worse in some respects).

Glaceon is forced to run Ice Body.

Mamoswine is not in the tier.

Gligar is forced to run Immunity or Hyper Cutter.

Cacturne is forced to run Water Absorb.

A slew of new Pokemon exist - Chandelure, Bronzong, Mienshao, Scrafty, and Tornadus (Rain Dance) - and each has some way to screw over hail.

Especially for the sake of hail, I'd recommend reading some of the paragraphs of the original ban to get a feel for what the meta was like. There's a great significance in the fact that every single post mentions Snow Cloak and Froslass and all but one mention Mamoswine.

Sub CM Meloetta has a Ghost immunity and dumps on every Ghost in the meta right now.
People keep saying what does meloetta have over mew? Well that's its niche. It counters EVERY ghost type from ou-nu.
On top of being a killer wallbreaker than can smash through slowbro, gligar, roserade, snorlax, crobat all in one set.

I haven't played UU in a while, but

With the recent ban of Sand Veil and Snow Cloak, how would people react to an unbanning of Snover and (possibly) minihippo (well, maybe it'll require a stout ban lol) from the tier?

Notable changes since the original ban:

Froslass cannot bs its way to a miss and can only bs its way with Cursed Body (which better and worse in some respects).

Glaceon is forced to run Ice Body.

Mamoswine is not in the tier.

Gligar is forced to run Immunity or Hyper Cutter.

Cacturne is forced to run Water Absorb.

A slew of new Pokemon exist - Chandelure, Bronzong, Mienshao, Scrafty, and Tornadus (Rain Dance) - and each has some way to screw over hail.

Especially for the sake of hail, I'd recommend reading some of the paragraphs of the original ban to get a feel for what the meta was like. There's a great significance in the fact that every single post mentions Snow Cloak and Froslass and all but one mention Mamoswine.

UNFORTUNATELY the UU community decided that Sand/Hail as a whole were broken, not Sand Veil/Snow Cloak. This sounds like a great idea to me, but I doubt it'll happen.

Because that's the only set worth running. Unless you're into walls that just sit there and get set up on by everything--in which case try the defensive set.
There's also the Calm Mind/Pain Split set, which I have to say I actually prefer over the TR/Nasty Plot set. TR/Nasty Plot Cofagrigus has never given me any trouble.

I'm so incredibly bored enough that I've reactivated my WoW account on a trial basis, reinstalled Alpha Centauri and Heroes 2, and am downloading Pokemon Online Showdown (my have we come far from Shoddy).

How's my old UU doing? It's good to be home.

That said, one must remain topical, so I'd ask: how are the good ole stall teams doing? When I last played, pert and Bronzong were still walling in OU, seems like we've got a good basis for a team there, but I'm incredibly out of touch and practice.

In my opinion, a UUSuspectTest with the hail and the sand would be interesting.

PD: congrats to Destiny

This is my current Meloetta set:

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- Relic Song
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Claw

This set is an absolute boss when played right. It can be worn down quite a bit, though, so I've considered a Lum Berry so paralysis and burn do not stop Meloetta's sweep. Oftentimes a Pokemon will be OHKO'd/2HKO'd by the correct move, so a Lum Berry might be ideal. That said, I do love using Drain Punch with Life Orb boost as I gain health back before recoil. However, the set does come across some key problems. If a Pokemon can tank the first hit, chances are they can hit Meloetta back. While it almost always leaves a Pokemon revengeable by either Dusknoir, Nidoqueen, or any of my other teammates in general, Meloetta can be beaten 1 on 1 by some offensive Pokes who aren't OHKO'd.

I decided to run a Physical set as a majority of my favorite UU Pokes happen to be Special-based. However, I do try to run offensively balanced teams so I can hit all sides of the spectrum with little worry of being walled by Snorlax (common Drain Punch bait). If needed I can run Sub CM on a different team for extra mileage alongside something else. My current scheme is to run plenty of teams undergoing multitudes of games in UU, so I might experiment with SubCM later alongside some other Pokes whom I exploy regularly in UU (like Bisharp).

/B/utterfree, I ran a more traditional sweeper set for a long time in OU similar to that. It was Jolly with max attack and Close Combat with just enough speed to outspeed base 120s (this was before BW2). It was mildly effective, there were too many extremely powerful scarfers like Terrakion and Draco Latios for it to do too much, unfortunately.

I'm kinda iffy on how effective Meloetta is at all in UU with how goddamn ubiquitous Heracross is, but I haven't played UU since the drop.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
In my opinion, a UUSuspectTest with the hail and the sand would be interesting.

PD: congrats to Destiny

I don't think we should retest Sand / Hail due to the recent bans that happened in OU, as we didn't banned Sand and Hail in UU due to Sand Veil and Snow Cloak, we banned those weathers as a whole, and there's no indication that proves they are not broken now. In fact, Sand is probably more broken now than ever before due to Stoutland getting Superpower and Sandslash being released.

PS: thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)