Well, here we are again:

-TR Abuse Marowak
-Non-Curse Miltank
-BU Gurdurr
-Annoyer Emolga
-Mixed Magmortar
-Support Mesprit
EDIT: -Camerupt, Ill allow it

A bit of a toughie, but I'm gonna have to go with Mesprit Miltank, I never liked Camerupt, but if it wins, doesn't matter to me. Lets see how this vote goes, you have until midnight tomorrow for it.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Like tennis said, we really do need SR and out of the options only Miltank and Mesprit should be using that. I'm really not a fan of Miltank, sooo Mesprit. edit: Screw it, swinging over to Camerupt with MikeDecIsHere. Camerupt provides SR, offers a method of dealing with Magneton/Eelektross that we really don't have yet, and is slow as balls so works in TR.

I'd like to suggest Camerupt. Adding another Psychic mon seems kind of silly, and Camerupt gives us some solid synergy with the other members of the team.

Camerupt @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SpDef/ 4 Def
Nature: Calm (someone who has more experience can suggest a better spread)
Ability: Solid Rock
-Earth Power
-Stealth Rock
-Lava Plume
-Roar

Edit: Didn't see the deadline, but honestly, all of the other mons suck with the team synergy right now :/

I honestly think hazards smeargle is the best thing to have for a hazard-abusing team , and that we'd just tack that on to the team as a 6th pokemon while trying to build an bulky offensive core that supports Slowking.

That said, the vote's split because people want hazards now rather than hazards later, so my vote goes to Magmortar because we can pick hazard setters that have better synergy with our offensive mons later on in the teambuilding process, and everybody and their mother runs Mesprit (so it's arguably better prepared for).

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Son of a bitch I was going to suggest Camerupt but I didn't have enough time to make a full out post! Camerupt basically covers a bunch of our weaknesses here and gives us a bit of breathing room in terms of tanking neutral hits (and fucking over Magmortar).

So yeah, vote Camerupt. It does what Miltank wants to do for this team but better!

Now see, Camerupt's all well and good and all, but my beef with even nominating it at this point is that it's past the deadline. If people are going to nominate whatever they want, why bother setting up a deadline for people to post sets by, and even reminding them that he wants more sets by the deadline, when people are just going to ignore that?

If you really wanted to nominate Camerupt, then just vote for Magmortar or Marowak or Gurdurr or whatever so you have a valid reason to slot in Camerupt later.

We've come to a problem... 10 total votes were cast for Miltank/Camerupt combined. Both pokes earned 5 votes. So, I will send VM's to the Reptile, mostwanted, and Kenshiro. Those three will be our deciding votes.

EDIT: With mostwanted's vote, Camerupt is up by 1, but I will wait until 12 PM EST today for the Reptile's and Kenshiro's response.

Well then, by a score of 8-5, Camerupt is our next member!!

We've finally come to our last teammate. Like with the last member, submit whatever you want if it fits with the other 5 members. You have until 10 PM EST to submit, so get to it!

canno

formerly The Reptile
I am going to suggest Coil Eelektross.

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Coil
- Brick Break
- Wild Charge
- Crunch

Max SpD because we're boosting our Def and Atk already. Max Hp for maximum bulk, and so Wild Charge doesn't hurt too much. Brick Break and Crunch get perfect neutral coverage, while Wild Charge is STAB. Also, no weaknesses is amazing.

After looking at the rest of the team, I think what we need to round it off is either a secondary special sweeper, for when you can't afford the turn to have Slowking set-up, or a phazer to help shuffle opponents around while maintaing offensive presence.

LO Magmortar is still a viable option, but in terms of special sweeper, I think a better candidate might be Haunter.

Haunter@Life Orb
Modest
252Sp.Atk, 252Spd, 4HP
~Substitute
~Shadow Ball
~Sludge Bomb
~Thunderbolt/Giga Drain/HP Ground

Haunter not only provides an impressive special movepool, but also has multiple opportunities to switch in thanks to its typing and Levitate. It also functions as a spinblocker, as rare as Rapid Spin may be. The fourth move is really up to preference. Thunderbolt hits the Flyers hard, Giga Drain wastes Quagsire, while HP Ground takes down Magneton.

As for the phazer, while Throh is a very tempting choice due to his bulk, I'm hesitant because of the prevalence of Flying and Psychic right now.

Instead, I'll go with:

Luxray@Leftovers
Intimidate
252HP, 252Def, 4Spd
~Roar
~Volt Switch
~Substitute
~Superpower/Rest/HP Grass

IntimiRay can come in on a good portion of physical attackers not carrying EQ, Intimidate them, and shuffle with Roar, hide behind a Sub, or Volt Switch to maintain momentum. The fourth move has a few options. Superpower is strong even without investments in Atk thanks to that huge base ATK set, and does a number to Magneton and Miltank. HP Grass is solely for Quagsire and Stunfisk who otherwise threaten to come in for nearly free thanks to a resistance to SR. Rest gives Luxray longevity, and Intimidate allows it to serve a use even while sleeping.

Magneton @ Eviolite
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpAtk
Bold / Magnet Pull

Substitute
Charge Beam
HP Grass/Flash Cannon
Thunderbolt

SubCharge is viable, it covers a few weaknesses in our team while having good offensive presence. HP Grass vs. Flash Cannon is whether you want to deal with Quaggy and Lanturn or have backup STAB. Going with Leftovers and maxed spatk is a more offensive take that might fit better for this team though.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Two little suggestions: how about having the actual sets on the OP so that we can see them to patch up our weaknesses?

Second, I think we need an *actual* Swellow check. Yes, Armaldo can tank a single Brave Bird + Facade and hit back. So what? If Swellow just U-turns on the switch to Armaldo, SR weakness will just naturally take care of him, and he'll get KO'd the next time he switches onto Swellow. Rest of the team gets completely wrecked, not to mention our best chance is a speed tie with our own Swellow. We need something to check it, or something to revenge, like a scarfer or a steel or a rock.

Second weakness to this team is to the ever common BlizzSpam. Yes, Slowking resists Blizzard, but he can't take hits given that he has little defensive investment, and no Slack Off. Regenerator will take care of it partially, but we'll have to sac a lot of mons because none of our other mons likes taking Blizzards. Add to that Rotom-F is the most common BlizzSpammer, our team may be in grave danger if we don't have offensive coverage on them. I'm pretty sure Swellow / Cacturne / Armaldo dies to a single strong Blizzard, and Camerupt should die in at least two.

To cover those two weaknesses, Sub / Shift Gear / Gear Grind / Return Klinklang looks best, probably with a bulky spread.

I'll actually say that IntimiRay makes a great check to Swellow, but I'll concede on Blizzspam. Thick Fat Miltank would actually have been great, I think.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
To cover those two weaknesses, Sub / Shift Gear / Gear Grind / Return Klinklang looks best, probably with a bulky spread.
Gonna concur. We actually handle a lot of Klinklang's checks and counters with what we have in the team already; Magneton is soundly beaten by Camerupt, Slowking handles other Camerupt and other defensive Fire-types, Cacturne deals with Slowking and is almost a perfect check for Quagsire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)