NU CCAT Step 4: Playtesting

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Why would we use a Pokemon that directly hampers our main sweeper when it sets up? Also Parasect is unfortunately terrible for this team, it's worse than Amoonguss in terms of using Spore. Armaldo is probably our best option, though I question whether we need Rapid Spin? If we want Rapid Spin I'd be more apt to put SR weak Pokemon on the team in the last two slots, however, I'm not sure its needed for this type of team. You're taking a turn to spin away SR/Spikes when you could be putting offensive pressure on the opponent. Just something to think about really, Armaldo is a great mon for this team since it covers a lot of our weaknesses.

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
definitely seconding a bulky offense Armaldo
although i would suggest swords dance over earthquake for more wallbreaking power
rapid spin is vital in such a hazard infested metagame

I would like to ask though, why is Parasect worse than Amoonguss in terms of Spore usage? Amoonguss might be bulkier, but it being weak to Psychic does it no favours at all and it can't do anything Parasect can except Clear Smog and Giga Drain effectively. Parasect's typing isn't bad for this fit since Brave Bird would OHKO it either way and it can still survive a Rock attack. SR weak hurts, of course, though.

'Course, this isn't about Amoonguss, so I'll shut up on that point.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I would like to ask though, why is Parasect worse than Amoonguss in terms of Spore usage? Amoonguss might be bulkier, but it being weak to Psychic does it no favours at all and it can't do anything Parasect can except Clear Smog and Giga Drain effectively. Parasect's typing isn't bad for this fit since Brave Bird would OHKO it either way and it can still survive a Rock attack. SR weak hurts, of course, though.

'Course, this isn't about Amoonguss, so I'll shut up on that point.
It has a lot more weaknesses and such, and clear smog is a lot more useful than just straight up attacking. Anyway we don't need another flying/fire weakness on this team and Armaldo is a better team player.

Iiiiiits voting time again! Standard procedure, ends tomorrow at 10 PM, same old, same old.

-Offensive Spinner Armaldo
-Parasect
-Sunny Day Eggy

So guys... what happened to the days where we actually had a good number of sets to vote on? Seriously...

Offensive spinner Armaldo

What about Eelektross? An Eelektross with Volt Switch can apply a ton of offensive pressure on the opponent, especially when used with Swellow

Because of the limited choice of sets: Armaldo

Can Amarldo really take Swellow's BB? I remember my Amarldo took 50% when Swellow used Facade. But be my remembering wrongly though. If it really can...

Armaldo

The Armaldo posted takes 41.2% - 49.2% from Guts Jolly Swellow's BB. Technically a 2HKO with Rocks, but it can switch in on a Facade.

In any case, Parasect.

Armaldo wins! Honestly, we pretty much have the mandatory stuff for this team, so I don't think we really need to follow a guideline anymore, so suggest anything you want! Of course, it has to fit the team (duh). Voting begins Thursday at 10 PM EST.

Maybe TR Marowak

move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Double-Edge
move 4: Stone Edge / ThunderPunch
item: Thick Club
ability: Rock Head
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
ivs: 0 Spe

It gives a electric immunity and can tank rock attacks with its strong defense, as well as other physical attacks.

tennisace

I don't have a set to suggest just yet, but we need something to set up Stealth Rock. Spikes is cool but does nothing to slow down the myriad of fast SR weak mons (Swellow, Braviary, Rotom-S, Magmortar, etc) that can wear down our team really fast by switching in and out and racking up damage. I would almost say we need that more than Rapid Spin on Armaldo but I think we could just use a different Pokemon as a utility mon, setting up SR and doing some other shit too. I'm at a loss for ideas as most of the hard hitters are at least checked by the Pokemon we have here. I definitely don't like Marowak in this spot, since I feel its too frail for what we want with this team. I think we need more bulk, not less.

Miltank@Leftovers
Jolly
Thick Fat/Scrappy
252HP/40Def/216Spe
~Milk Drink
~Stealth Rock
~Body Slam/Seismic Toss
~Heal Bell

Covers pretty much anything that's needed. Speed EVs outrun base 95s like Jynx, unless you want to go furthur to speed tie with Raichu. Body Slam does paralysis while Seismic Toss is consistent.

Two set ideas:

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpDef
Sassy / Guts

Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Mach Punch
Payback

Doesn't keep up offensive tempo, but adds bulky offense and is fairly easy to set up. Gets adequate power after just one bulk up, even with the many bulky psychics in the tier he can still compete. Exeggutor in particular is still threatening, but Gurdurr can tank any non-Specs psychic and hit with Payback (LO Eggy and lower), and Cacturne can also threaten coming in and setting up Spikes. He also still holds his own against the birds, as with the +1 in defense it can easily survive Swellow's Brave Bird and heal up with Drain Punch.

Emolga @ Leftovers
248 HP/244 Spe/16 SpDef
Timid / Static

Substitute
Roost
Encore/Toxic
Volt Switch/Thunderbolt

Functions as an annoyer and support pokemon. Not bulky at all, but still has enough speed to take advantage of its unique speed tier and other things. With SubRoost and Toxic, it can function a bit like an NU Zapdos, but it can also abuse Encore! It helps out the team by letting Slowking and co. sweep either by stalling out a troublesome foe with Toxic or by Encoring a move to switch in on. Keeps enough speed to beat Simipour/etc. Either Toxic/Thunderbolt or Encore/Volt Switch work best together but all of those moves work great and can be mixed together differently...thoughts? :3

Im gonna extend submissions for one more day, I really want at least 1-2 sets.

Before you ask, im not submitting because 3 pokes were suggested by me. It's a community create-a-team, not a "I-make-team-and-everyone-seconds-it" :/

It would help to post a set for the Poke you're setting, methinks. :P

Magmortar@Life Orb
Naive
Vital Spirit
24ATK/252Sp.Atk/232Spd
~Fire Blast
~Cross Chop
~Thunderbolt
~HP Grass

Standard mixed set. HP Grass takes out Quaggy.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
We want a SR setter? Gonna suggest Mesprit here.

Mesprit @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Psychic
-U-turn
-Trick Room / Thunderbolt

Well, this is looking like a TR team without that Swellow (which we could think of as insurance when TR runs out), then we get a good SR and TR platform to start off our game. Other SR setters are Rock-type, but we already have Armaldo. IDK I was thinking of suggesting Camerupt here as it would both complete the FWG and have SR, but people don't seem to like defensive Camerupts, which is understandable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)