NU Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is still the possibility of T-Wave + Electro Ball, but it still sucks anyway. Anti-Lead Taunt is also outclassed by Electrode.
But Emolga could have so many variants. SPECS, BANDED, SCARF, MIXED, ANTILEAD. And cause no one uses Emolga, people dont expect him to go for Taunt. As for Electrode they inmediately swich out

Your arguments fail to convince me, and are pretty weak. Emolga isn't A worthy, nor is it B or even C rank worthy. While Emolga can run many sets, it's outclassed by Rotom-S, who hits much harder. Emolga has a mediocre SAtk, even by NU standards. It isn't worth using for Taunt only, as other Pokemon, such as Electrode who has previously been mentioned, can use it better. It also has to rely on the weak Charge Beam to boost it's Special Attack.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
But Emolga could have so many variants. SPECS, BANDED, SCARF, MIXED, ANTILEAD. And cause no one uses Emolga, people dont expect him to go for Taunt. As for Electrode they inmediately swich out
Emolga should not use any of those sets, since it is outclassed by most other Electric-types. It's best sets are probably Sub Charge Beam and Flying Gem Acrobatics, because they use what Emolga has over similar Pokemon to decent effect. Surprise factor is not taken into consideration for these rankings, so I wouldn't call this an argument. I wouldn't call it useless since it has very good Speed and average offensive power, but I will absolutely refuse to call Emolga an A-rank Pokemon. For most teams, Emolga's negative traits (lack of power, bulk, effective differentiation from other Electric-types, being generally outclassed by Rotom-S is many roles, etc.) kill its effectiveness. However, I will argue that Emolga is viable for the D-tier because it does have a small niche in the above sets. Also guys, remember that Drifblim only has 5 more base Attack, yet its Flying Gem Acrobatics deals quite a lot of damage. This doesn't take into account its other moves, but I wouldn't say that it is horridly weak (not KO-ing SubBU Braviary is irritating though). While an Adamant nature really only outpaces positive natured base 86s and below, it is still a decent Speed tier to outpace.

Except nobody uses Electrode and the most standard Electrode set is LO. Not enough SpA/Atk to utilize Specs/Band to the fullest, mixed is just asking for trouble since your splitting your precious EVs to two different stats instead of one considering Emolga's lack of offensive presence, and anti-lead is outclassed by Electrode like I said are all burdens for Emolga.

Even though AcroGem is pretty coo, it's still outclassed by Drifblim because of Unburden. Emolga will remain in E-Rank and it will stay there forever.

In my opinion, the only job Emolga can do well is scouting, and Volbeat accomplishes almost everything Emolga can with more reliability. Prankster ensures attacks like encore and thunder wave hit first, where as Emolga must soak in an electric type attack to safely outspeed and do it's job. With prankster, Volbeat is also able to invest more EV's into its defenses, where as half of Emolga's EV's go into speed. Volbeat also has U-Turn to successfully scout. You can't say Volbeat completely outclasses Emolga, as they share different resistances, only Emolga has taunt, and Emolga uses a fast Volt Switch as apposed to a slow U-Turn. Nevertheless, in my opinion, encore is more useful than taunt and a slow U-Turn can be just as helpful for certain teams maybe even better, because it ensures the pokemon switch in's safety and Volbeat can't be trapped by ground types when trying to scout. Everyone else has explained already why Emolga isn't the best option offensively.

Well you guys have a lot of truth on your opinions. But my only unconformity was that Emolga is E Rank when it totally isnt.

You guys have told me that a lot of pokes outclass Emolga but Miltank outclasses Bibarel also. Miltank does whatever Bibarel does but better (setting up rocks, thunder waving, double edging, setting up curses [although Bibarel gets simple but you get what I mean]) And yet Bibarel is D Rank

And yeah i know that Rotom-S outclasses Emolga and maybe i exaggerated when i said it should be A Rank but one thing is true Emolga isnt E Rank. And it should at least be D Rank.

Well you guys have a lot of truth on your opinions. But my only unconformity was that Emolga is E Rank when it totally isnt.

You guys have told that a lot of pokes outclass Emolga but Miltank outclasses Bibarel also. Miltank does whatever Bibarel does but better (setting up rocks, thunder waving, double edging, setting up curses [although Bibarel gets simple but you get what I mean]) And yet Bibarel is D Rank

And yeah i know that Rotom-S outclasses Emolga and maybe i exaggerated when i said it should be A Rank but one thing is true Emolga isnt E Rank. And it should at least be D Rank.
But unlike bibarel, emolga has no real niche over rotom-s, electabuzz, raichu and zebstrika. Bibarel can double its boost with curse and has waterfall. Emolga may have encore and volt absorb, but its outclassed by raichu, who also has nasty plot. Emolga is just way too outclassed to be D-rank.

But unlike bibarel, emolga has no real niche over rotom-s, electabuzz, raichu and zebstrika. Bibarel can double its boost with curse and has waterfall. Emolga may have encore and volt absorb, but its outclassed by raichu, who also has nasty plot. Emolga is just way too outclassed to be D-rank.
But Electabuzzz, Raichu nor Zebstrika have Acrobatics so i consider Rotom-S to be the only one that truly outclasses Emolga

But Electabuzzz, Raichu nor Zebstrika have Acrobatics so i consider Rotom-S to be the only one that truly outclasses Emolga
Rotom-S doesn't have acrobatics though. I think Emolga is pretty versatile, but its stats are just about average, which leads to it being a mediocre Pokemon. I want it to be D though, if you ask me.

Rotom-S doesn't have acrobatics though. I think Emolga is pretty versatile, but its stats are just about average, which leads to it being a mediocre Pokemon. I want it to be D though, if you ask me.
OMG Finally someone agreed with me LOL

But its true and you will not understand me until you use one

And also I find the term "outclassed" to be kind of stupid cause just because a pokemon does the same thing that another pokemon already does, doesnt mean that that pokemon is bad

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What do you guys think of Wormadam-S? Not sure I believe that it deserves to be up here, but it deserves at least consideration. Steel type in which its only weakness in fire. Has some bulk, though admittingly not a whole lot. Can get off some toxics, and iron head or gyro ball can do pretty good damage. Maybe a feat is that it really doesn't fear sawk as a lead stealth rocker might be a good enough reason, and can take on scoliopede alright, though it won't prevent spikes and will still take hefty damage after a swords dance.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
wormadam-s is definitely good enough to be c or d tier. it can check psychic-types very well and hit them hard with signal beam or stall them out with toxic while being able to provide the team with stealth rocks. it has acceptable bulk when fully invested and gets leftovers recovery unlike metang. although it's sort of setup bait for substitute sweepers, it performs its roles reliably and deserves to be higher.

wormadam-s is definitely good enough to be c or d tier. it can check psychic-types very well and hit them hard with signal beam or stall them out with toxic while being able to provide the team with stealth rocks. it has acceptable bulk when fully invested and gets leftovers recovery unlike metang. although it's sort of setup bait for substitute sweepers, it performs its roles reliably and deserves to be higher.
This case was made earlier and nobody disagreed with moving wormdam-s to D-Rank. Wormdam-s is a steel type and since NU lacks any steel types, wordam-s atuomatically has a niche. It is only weak to fire ( an uncommon attacking type) while it has ten resistens and an immunity. It also isn't a bad counter to offensive scolipede.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I've used Emolga, and I can frankly say anything it tries to do, something else does better.

Drifblim definitely abuses Acrobatics better, and Emolga has no chance of beating the Rock and Steels that wall Blimp anyway (hell, it lacks Destiny Bond!)

The fact that you want to use Acrobatics means you have to sacrifice your item to even be effective. By that extension, isn't Scarf Rotom-S faster, bulkier, and stronger?

252Atk Emolga (+Atk) Wild Charge vs 4HP/0Def Samurott (Neutral): 77% - 92% (258 - 306 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
You're not KOing Samurott with a positive nature. That's not the kind of bullshit I'm looking for in an Electric-type.

I said potentially and don't you think that the speed compensates the frailness?
And if you think its too weak then put a choice band and forget about the flying gem
The frailness is one thing, but it's really the lack of power that puts people off from running Emolga. At least Rotom-S can utilize its good defensive typing with a bulky set; Emolga can't (Encore only carries you so far).
Oh right, put a Choice Band to beef up your Electric STAB but completely neuter its Flying STAB, thus rendering any point of using Emolga over something like status orb Guts Luxray or Zebstrika completely moot.

What about special sets? While Emolga has good defensive typing, it usually can't take advantage of it worth a damn: it can absorb Electric attacks with Motor Drive, but since its own STAB is resisted as well Emolga struggles to do much back without Charge Beam and if the opposing Electric can use other moves like Hidden Power, Overheat or fucking Tackle, Emolga is boned.

Choiced variants, especially Band variants (lol weak Acro/Aerial Ace) are unable to alternate between their STAB in times of need. By that extension, wouldn't other Choiced Electrics such as Rotom-S, Electabuzz, or Zebstrika be better options in those situations due to their faster and/or stronger Electric (and Flying in Rotom's case) STAB?
Please, even Persian makes a better anti-lead with Fake Out and Hpynosis, and he isn't OHKOed by common Rock moves from pokemon that your anti-lead Emolga would even bother Taunting against. In fact, your basis that Emolga makes a good/decent/not complete rubbish anti-lead is the fact that it learns Taunt. Doesn't anything that learns Taunt make a good anti-lead then? No, cos' they need to avoid getting slaughtered turn 1 should the opponent attack instead. Now tell me, does Emolga do this?

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Wormadam-Steel should go to C-rank as it has a great typing and decent bulk to take advantage of it. The recent unbanning of Jynx also gives it a niche in being a good stop to it (when something else is asleep) while having the same utility against other Psychic-type Pokemon like Gardevoir and Musharna and supporting the team with Stealth Rock. A lack of a Flying-type resistance can be a hindrance, but its lack of weaknesses also means it's not all too hard to cover with teammates.

Also no need to keep talking about Emolga anymore, everything about it has pretty much been mentioned. I think it's all that bad of a Pokemon, but it's definitely not higher than D-rank. In other words I support Emolga for D-rank because it's not aggressively bad, but at the same time it's not really good either.

I've used Emolga, and I can frankly say anything it tries to do, something else does better.

Drifblim definitely abuses Acrobatics better, and Emolga has no chance of beating the Rock and Steels that wall Blimp anyway (hell, it lacks Destiny Bond!)

The fact that you want to use Acrobatics means you have to sacrifice your item to even be effective. By that extension, isn't Scarf Rotom-S faster, bulkier, and stronger?

You're not KOing Samurott with a positive nature. That's not the kind of bullshit I'm looking for in an Electric-type.

The frailness is one thing, but it's really the lack of power that puts people off from running Emolga. At least Rotom-S can utilize its good defensive typing with a bulky set; Emolga can't (Encore only carries you so far).
Oh right, put a Choice Band to beef up your Electric STAB but completely neuter its Flying STAB, thus rendering any point of using Emolga over something like status orb Guts Luxray or Zebstrika completely moot.

What about special sets? While Emolga has good defensive typing, it usually can't take advantage of it worth a damn: it can absorb Electric attacks with Motor Drive, but since its own STAB is resisted as well Emolga struggles to do much back without Charge Beam and if the opposing Electric can use other moves like Hidden Power, Overheat or fucking Tackle, Emolga is boned.

Choiced variants, especially Band variants (lol weak Acro/Aerial Ace) are unable to alternate between their STAB in times of need. By that extension, wouldn't other Choiced Electrics such as Rotom-S, Electabuzz, or Zebstrika be better options in those situations due to their faster and/or stronger Electric (and Flying in Rotom's case) STAB?
Please, even Persian makes a better anti-lead with Fake Out and U-Turn, and he isn't OHKOed by common Rock moves from pokemon that your anti-lead Emolga would even bother Taunting against. In fact, your basis that Emolga makes a good/decent/not complete rubbish anti-lead is the fact that it learns Taunt. Doesn't anything that learns Taunt make a good anti-lead then? No, cos' they need to avoid getting slaughtered turn 1 should the opponent attack instead. Now tell me, does Emolga do this?
Yeah i kind of had the wrong concept of "antilead" lol. I didnt mean to compare Emolga to Rotom, Zebstrika or Electabuzz I just wanted to express my incomformity that it was E Rank. But i guess it got to far lol.

Punchshroom

Not too sure about Trashmadam being C-Rank, she has good defensive typing but she just can't retaliate all that well. You're relying on Steel STAB to fight back, which is never a good thing and isn't helped by Wormadam-S's meager 69 Attack. This makes her susceptible to nearly every Substitute user out there. I also find Wormadam-S just doesn't do much: I wall the threat, setup SR, Toxic it if I can, then what? She can't:
1)phaze like Bastiodon or Lairon
2)keep momentum like Probopass
3)deter setup with Psych Up while actually taking advantage (due to poor movepool) like Metang
4)recover with Pain Split like Mawile
5)deal set damage with Seismic Toss/Super Fang again like Mawile
6)stat boost like Klang
7)hit hard like Lairon
Wormadam-S does get Endeavor, but requires her to be near dead to be useful, at which point she's lost her usefulness.

It looks to me like the only sort of advantage she has over other Steels is her typing, but she can't seem to work well with what she has. I think D-Rank is where she should stay.

So with 4 new Pokemon in the tier, I decided to put them in tiers.

First up is Munchlax. While he was Horrendous in NU, I have found that him and Musharna form a fantastic defensive duo. However, with fighting types running rampant in the tier, Munchlax is not as effective as Mushy. I think C rank is good for him.

Next is Jynx, who was sent down from BL3. Jynx is surprisingly fast, with a fantastic Special attack stat. As well as a fantastic movepool, Jynx will be a top tier threat. I think A rank will be ok, as horrendous defenses leave it vulnerable.

Next is Primeape. Primape will compete with Sawk for Fighting-type king. With better Speed, and access to U-Turn, Primeape seems ready to take over by actually being able to beat Psychics. High A, maybe even S rank seems about right.

Now the best out of the crop we got is Scolipede. Using a Defensive Spiking set, or cbt's SubSalac set, Scolipede can even OHKO Alomomola, something not many physical attackers can boast. Giant speed, a quad resistance to Fighting, and a good Movepool are icing on the cake for a Garaunteed S rank.
So what are your opinions on our new friends? leave your thoughts and disagreements.

So with 4 new Pokemon in the tier, I decided to put them in tiers.

First up is Munchlax. While he was Horrendous in NU, I have found that him and Musharna form a fantastic defensive duo. However, with fighting types running rampant in the tier, Munchlax is not as effective as Mushy. I think C rank is good for him.

Next is Jynx, who was sent down from BL3. Jynx is surprisingly fast, with a fantastic Special attack stat. As well as a fantastic movepool, Jynx will be a top tier threat. I think A rank will be ok, as horrendous defenses leave it vulnerable.

Next is Primeape. Primape will compete with Sawk for Fighting-type king. With better Speed, and access to U-Turn, Primeape seems ready to take over by actually being able to beat Psychics. High A, maybe even S rank seems about right.

Now the best out of the crop we got is Scolipede. Using a Defensive Spiking set, or cbt's SubSalac set, Scolipede can even OHKO Alomomola, something not many physical attackers can boast. Giant speed, a quad resistance to Fighting, and a good Movepool are icing on the cake for a Garaunteed S rank.
So what are your opinions on our new friends? leave your thoughts and disagreements.
I made ranks for these guys a while ago and everybody said to wait to see how they're doing in the tier (altough you're rankings are pretty accurate).

I know we have to wait, but so far, I would support all of those changes, moving Primeape to S Rank.

Wasn't Braviary moved to A Rank a while ago?

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
With the tier moving towards a move Hyper-Offensive state due the drops of Scolipede, Jynx, and Primeape, I feel that a Pokemon that has previously been more underlooked could easily move up in viability rankings.

Swellow is a new, HUGE threat right now. It hits really hard, and it's blistering fast--qualities which are much more appreciated now than they were before. It outspeeds all the new drop-downs and can OHKO all of them from full. It can handle Hyper Offense really well on its own. That said, it's also even better on Hyper Offense, working as a partner to these three--more notable, both Scolipede and Primeape. This is because it is one of the few offensive Pokes in the tier that LOVES to switch in on defensive Musharna. It can absorb a burn, and it cannot be touched by Shadow Ball. It also doesn't care at all about Taunt, and with ever dwindling HP due to status and recoil, it cannot be outstalled by Pain Split all that easily.

Having said all of that, I would nominate Swellow for A-tier without hesitation.

The problem with Swellow is that it goes down so quickly due to stealth rock, brave bird, and toxic damage. A rank seems good, but priority users smash it.

Punchshroom

With the tier moving towards a move Hyper-Offensive state due the drops of Scolipede, Jynx, and Primeape, I feel that a Pokemon that has previously been more underlooked could easily move up in viability rankings.

Swellow is a new, HUGE threat right now. It hits really hard, and it's blistering fast--qualities which are much more appreciated now than they were before. It outspeeds all the new drop-downs and can OHKO all of them from full. It can handle Hyper Offense really well on its own. That said, it's also even better on Hyper Offense, working as a partner to these three--more notable, both Scolipede and Primeape. This is because it is one of the few offensive Pokes in the tier that LOVES to switch in on defensive Musharna. It can absorb a burn, and it cannot be touched by Shadow Ball. It also doesn't care at all about Taunt, and with ever dwindling HP due to status and recoil, it cannot be outstalled by Pain Split all that easily.

Having said all of that, I would nominate Swellow for A-tier without hesitation.
You mean Misdreavus, but yeah between Scolipede's Spikes and Swellow's status absorption, these two will be newfound partners, provided you deal with that Rock weakness.

Unfortunately, Swellow's low survivability, fraility and helplessness to Rock and Steel-types are still too large of issues to be considered A-Rank, but it did get better with the drops.

On the Leavanny topic D-rank seems fine since scolipede invaded the tier. Almost its only niche now is getting past alomomola easier. Still unworthy of E rank though.

On the Leavanny topic D-rank seems fine since scolipede invaded the tier. Almost its only niche now is getting past alomomola easier. Still unworthy of E rank though.
At this point, I am sorry but I have to disagree. Let Leavanny in E-rank for as long as Scolipede is in the tier. Yes, it can get past Alomo, offensive Scolipede can do that as well as it has Swords Dance and is immune to Toxic. Utility Counter Leavanny still has an easier time, though, but well, in many cases you are still better off using Spike Scolipede as Utility Counter Leavanny.

I had a lot of use for Leavanny in the past, but with Scoli, there is no point in using it. E-rank, at this point, is fine for Leav'.
Jynx in NU does not do Leavanny any favours either because Jynx outspeeds and OHKO's with Ice Beam, though Jynx can obviously not switch in.

Talking about Scoli, there is no rank that fits Scolipede. It belongs not in NU, as I can think of 7-10 Pokémon that become (way) less viable and only fulfill small niches now (Roselia, Garbodor, Pinsir, Armaldo, amongst others), and two that become unviable (Glalie, Leavanny) with Scolipede's presence.
And that while Pinsir is a very powerful threat, it just does no longer cut it for the Bug-type spot on your team. Scolipede exists.
Many other Pokémon are no longer as good anymore, like Gardevoir because Garde hates everything that dropped...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)