NU Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I agree with Punchshroom that the only reason why Liepard has its bad rep as a hax pokemon is due to the large number of parafusion sets around, which don't always work. Encore Liepard is much, much, much more effective and reliable for various reasons.
1. You can encore a wall into substitute and unless they're a prankster user faster than you (which as of now is impossible), or you're speed tying, they'll never get out of it, thanks to priority encore.
2. You can check any set up sweeper with encore, provided you recognise them and switch in on them while they're setting up.
3. You can switch in on any choice-locked psychic type and either encore them into psychic or any set up move, or sub on the switch. Anyone who thinks encore Liepard is set up fodder is dead wrong.
4. This would work very nicely with NP and dark pulse too, actually, giving you a chance to set up while the opponent futilely stays in. Although Liepard doesn't have high special attack, anything at +6 is automatically scary.
In conclusion! Liepard for B rank, at least.

I want to nominate Leavanny for C rank due to its good speed and it can dominate teams once it has set up a SD. It's STAB coverage does great against the many psychics in the tier and the darks who are used to counter them. Also hits the omnipresent rock and water types for SE damage. It also OHKO's alot of flying and fire types with return. It's problems are that its very frail and can't live a hit and it's almost completely shut down by status. The latter of which can be combatted with a lum berry but the lack of LO is noticeable.

Another Leavanny user, always nice to see.

Leavanny can run Heal Bell + Synthesisif status is really bothersome - this sets capitalizes on common walls and beats them (bar Torkoal, Weezing and Golbat, but you can run Knock Off to annoy them more, provided you predict their switch-in).
Even Magic Coat is not that bad if you already have a Heal Bell user, as it screws over stuff, like Liepard, non-Fire Blast Bastiodon, Riolu and Alomomola.
SD + Synthesis can also be pretty nasty if done right, as I found standard SD on Leavanny troublesome because Leavanny is scared out easily with a faster Pokémon, making SD a wasted moveslot at times.

I explained before why Leavanny should be C- or D-rank, I nominated her before.

I also agree with Liepard for B-rank.

With the addition of Scolipede, leavanny shopuld not be raised.

Anyway, I would like to add scolipede to A-rank (Or even S-Rank) and drop garbodor down to B-Rank. Scolipede is an amazing spiker; being faster 95% of the metagame allows scolipede to set up spikes pretty fast. He has a powerful megahorn, and swords dance to make it even more powerful. He can even baton pass those boost to something dangerous like zangoose. Garbodor should be B-Rank because he still is a good physically defensive spiker, but outclassed by the faster scolipede

Primeape should be A-rank because of his access to U-turn, Encore and base 95 speed. This base 95 speed allows CB primeape to outspeed haunter, and zangoose, two troublesome pokemon.

Munchlax should be B-Rank since it walls many psychic types, but loses to fighting types. It also has poor offensive presence
EDIT: These drops might not be official. Also, I'm just predicting this because they are all good on paper.

With the addition of Scolipede, leavanny shopuld not be raised.

Anyway, I would like to add scolipede to A-rank (Or even S-Rank) and drop garbodor down to B-Rank. Scolipede is an amazing spiker; being faster 95% of the metagame allows scolipede to set up spikes pretty fast. He has a powerful megahorn, and swords dance to make it even more powerful. He can even baton pass those boost to something dangerous like zangoose. Garbodor should be B-Rank because he still is a good physically defensive spiker, but outclassed by the faster scolipede

Primeape should be A-rank because of his access to U-turn, Encore and base 95 speed. This base 95 speed allows CB primeape to outspeed haunter, and zangoose, two troublesome pokemon.

Munchlax should be B-Rank since it walls many psychic types, but loses to fighting types. It also has poor offensive presence
EDIT: These drops might not be official.
Magcargo, don't be so hasty, it hasn't even been 12 hours since they dropped, and not even 10 hours since they are usable on PS! ladder. I think we should wait a week or two to see how the meta settles around, and then we can decide. Also on topic about Liepard being B, I completely agree.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just because it's April Fools doesn't meant you people should troll this thread by saying Liepard should be B-rank. oO .trl

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Magcargo, don't be so hasty, it hasn't even been 12 hours since they dropped, and not even 10 hours since they are usable on PS! ladder. I think we should wait a week or two to see how the meta settles around, and then we can decide.
This is true. Let's not rank them arbitrarily until we really know what kind of effect they have on the metagame.

edit: yea what donkey tamer chris said

It does not hurt to speculate what tier the Pokemon is gonna be, just don't actually make any changes to the viability ranking until 2-3 weeks when we have a more accurate opinion on the Pokemon's placement in the meta.

I'd like to nominate Serperior to A rank. This thing is such a monster with its massive speed and Sp.atk stat. The SubCM set can plow through teams pretty damn easily. The speed allows it to outspeed almost everything in the tier except scarfers ofc. Just a suggestion I'm throwing out here.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Liepard for....LOL THIS THING SUCKS ASS TROLOLOLOL

MMF Edit: Touche....touche

Magcargo, don't be so hasty, it hasn't even been 12 hours since they dropped, and not even 10 hours since they are usable on PS! ladder. I think we should wait a week or two to see how the meta settles around, and then we can decide. Also on topic about Liepard being B, I completely agree.
A basic placement for them does not hurt though. Scolipede is insane anyway ^^ .

And yeah, Leavanny became much worse with Scolipede in the tier, though Leavanny does not mind the other drops.
More annoying is that my main team utterly fell apart with Scolipede, so I can't really use it anymore until Scolipede rises/gets banned.

OMG How is Emolga E Rank! Seriously its really a good poke. It has 105 Base Speed and with a 75 Base Attack, it hits hella hard with the Acrobatics/Wild charge combo. It has ascess to U-Turn and Taunt. It gets Motor Drive which at plus one, could allow him to OUTSPEED CHOICE SCARF SAWK. This is why I DEMAND to put him at least in A Rank :]

I believe we had some debate over Ursaring a few pages back, page 16?

I nominate Ursaring for B Rank. For the arguments I made for it, check back to earlier pages. Basically, its power (or speed, depending on abilities) and its ability to not a give damn about status makes Ursaring good in NU, warrenting B-Rank

I agree with moving Emolga up to D, maybe low C, rank, though not for the reasons posted above. Emolga is usable, and U-Turn makes it not completely outclassed by Zeb

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
But why use U-turn when you have volt switch anyway?

Also Emolga stays in E. It is completely out-classed in NU and it should never be used anywhere near competitive play. It has terrible stats besides speed which makes it.. a scout... and that's it.

But why use U-turn when you have volt switch anyway?

Also Emolga stays in E. It is completely out-classed in NU and it should never be used anywhere near competitive play. It has terrible stats besides speed which makes it.. a scout... and that's it.
True. I take my comments on Emogla back

What does Emogla do that Zebstrika can't?

No, Emolga is really bad. I seriously don't know why you cited its base 75 Atk in an attempt to defend it; base 75 is pretty weak. Based on your last post, I'm guessing you're using some kind of Flying Gem Acrobatics set. In that case, you're hitting so softly that you can't even break 90% damage on Scarf Braviary. So no, you're not hitting "hella hard" with Acrobatics and Wild Charge. Once your Flying Gem is used up, the only common NU Pokemon that you have a chance of OHKOing are Pokemon who have average or lower physical bulk and are either weak to your STABs or are named "Haunter" or "Kadabra." And winning a match against a bad player isn't going to prove anything.

Emolga is not outclassed by zebstrika. Its outclassed by electabuzz, who has the same speed, better bulk, better attacking stats and a neat toy in Focus blast.

Emolga should stay in E-Rank.

But Emolga could outspeed sawk,ludicolo,braviary,samurott,exeguttor and some other threats and still do supereffective damage! It could be an antilead cause of Taunt, it gets momentum with U-Turn. It has two inmunitys (ground and electric) which are really common. And Emolga could potentially wall both Electabuzz and Zebstrika

And finally look at the D Rank Pokes! Their b******* compared to Emolga!

But Emolga could outspeed sawk,ludicolo,braviary,samurott,exeguttor and some other threats and still do supereffective damage! It could be an antilead cause of Taunt, it gets momentum with U-Turn. It has two inmunitys (ground and electric) which are really common. And Emolga could potentially wall both Electabuzz and Zebstrika

And do what to them? Emgola has no offensive prescence.
Use something else. Like Missy or Floatzel. or Liepard
Use Liepard or even Persian
I wouldn't call ground extremely common. Electric is useful, but Zebstrika has it to
How?

They could just predict the switch and use HP ice, which will do a lot of damage. Emolga is just too frail and weak to be considered for D-rank.

They could just predict the switch and use HP ice, which will do a lot of damage. Emolga is just too frail and weak to be considered for D-rank.
I said potentially and dont you think that the speed compensates the frailness?
And if you think its too weak then put a choice band and forget about the flying gem

There is still the possibility of T-Wave + Electro Ball, but it still sucks anyway. Anti-Lead Taunt is also outclassed by Electrode.

And do what to them? Emgola has no offensive prescence.
Use something else. Like Missy or Floatzel. or Liepard
Use Liepard or even Persian
I wouldn't call ground extremely common. Electric is useful, but Zebstrika has it to
How?
Well obviosly kill them lol But his STAB coverage is so good and Emolga can hit things Zebstrika cant, like Ludicolo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)