Nuzlocke Challenge

Chapter 1: The Great Gonzalez
Chapter 2: Strange Books and Stranger Boxes
Chapter 3: New Companions and Old Rivalries
Chapter 4: The First Gym
Chapter 5: In the Mountains...
Chapter 6: Waterside Warfare

Finally a chapter that I think is a bit shorter by my standards, although formatting for dialogue stretches it out a bit. Trying to avoid adding too much detail battles from now on that aren't significant challenges/kill or nearly kill a pokemon.

Chapter 7: Experiments at the Cape

"Bill has to know something about what happened", I think to myself hopefully as I head to the north end of of town. I find a small wooden bridge heading to a path leading north. This must lead to the cape Misty mentioned. Before I get the chance to cross the bridge, however, I hear a voice behind me call out.

"Bob!"

I turn around to find Gary standing in front of me, his pokemon already out, ready to fight.

"I really don't have time to fight you right now, Gary. Besides, I don't think you stand a chance yet anyway."

I turn around and begin walking, but my hand seems to move on its own to one of my pokeballs. I know I should just keep moving, since I don't know how long the trip to Bill's will take, but part of me just can't turn away from an opportunity to beat down Gary's pokemon again. If nothing else, maybe it will keep him from staying a step ahead of me at taking on the gyms. Gary begins to say something, possibly an attempt to goad me into battling, but by the time he starts talking, Stallone is already out of his pokeball and at my side. Geodudes are easy targets for my ivysaur, but I'm pretty sure one will match up just fine against his fire type. His other pokemon include the pidgey he had before, and a rattata. His last pokemon is a strange yellowish thing that looks like its asleep. I have no idea what it can do, but it doesn't seem like much of a threat.

"So, looks like you do have time to fight."

"I guess so, but I promise it will be quick." I say to Gary with a grin as Geodude lumbers forward into battle...

There's still plenty of daylight by the time I reach the end of the cape. It turned out I was right about Gary still not being a match. Stallone easily took down his pokemon, including his new yellow pokemon, which did nothing but continue sleeping even after it was hit. Gary ran off again after the fight, promising yet again that next time I'll lose. Brock and Misty must have been weaker than I thought if he managed to get their badges before I did, and I don't see how any of his pokemon could have taken on Misty's Starmie.

I also managed to catch a pokemon of the same species of Gary's new pokemon. The pokedex identified the pokemon as an Abra, although I decided to give mine the name 'Tenma.' The only move it knows is some sort of teleportation move, which the pokedex also explains cannot be used while in battle with another trainer. Are the pokemon themselves affected by the League's rules too?

A small house sits at the end of the cape. Several antennas and satellite dishes line the roof, so I figure I've got the right place. No one answers when I knock on the front door of the house. A moment passes and I get ready to knock on the door again, when I notice a round pink pokemon poke its head out of an open window.

"Someone here? Great! Please, come in come in, I could really use some help right now!" The pink pokemon says before popping back in the window. Did that pokemon just talk? I open the door and the little pink pokemon is standing in front of me. "Oh, I should introduce myself! My name's Bill!" The pokemon states cheerfully as it grabs my arm and leads me over to a computer sitting on a table against one of the walls.

"Wait, you're Bill? I figured Bill would be, uh, human?"

"Oh, I'm a human alright. Just managed to turn myself into this running some experiments. I think I can turn myself back, but I need some help. Just hit the button once I step into the pod over there" Bill points over at a large metal cylinder with a door on it.

I follow Bill's instructions, and a moment later another cylinder on the opposite side of the room opens. A scrawny middle-aged man wearing a t-shirt and shorts steps out. Not sure how where the clothing came from, but I decide I'd rather not ask.

"Thanks for helping me out there. Been working for some experiments involving teleportation for a few years here on this cape, studying the Abra. Guess this machine isn't perfected for humans." He starts to ramble on more about his experiment, but then stops himself. "You're probably not here just to ask about my experiments though are you?"

"No. I need to know what happened here a year ago when Johnathan Richards was found dead outside of town. Misty told me you were working out here when it happened." Hopefully I'll finally find out something.

"It's true that I was out here at the cape, but I was engaged in my work when that incident happened, and I didn't find out about it until the next time I left my house, which was almost a month later."

"A month!?" I nearly shout in disbelief.

"Oh yes, terribly sorry, but when I get into something it's like the rest of the world doesn't exist. I was pretty shocked when I heard the news. Richards was a great trainer before he retired, but the League wouldn't tell me anything about what happened."

"Wouldn't tell you? Does that mean they know something?"

"I'm not sure. I asked Lorelei about it as soon as I found out, but she just changed the subject anytime I brought it up. I tried bringing it up the next time a League official stopped by, but he simply told me to forget it happened. Sounded suspicious when he said it, but I took his advice and stopped asking about it."

"Hmm, guess that leaves me with the original plan of getting into the League's HQ and asking Lorelei myself." I sigh as I walk to the door. Still no answers, and it will be a long time before I get enough badges to get to the League.

"Wait." Bill runs up to me and hands me a strip of paper. "Here. It's a ticket to a party they're hosting on the SS Anne while it's docked in Vermilion. Might as well let you have it, since I doubt I'll be able to pull myself away from work long enough to go."

"Oh, thanks." I put the ticket in one of my pockets and walk outside. Time to try out this teleportation thing my abra has. According to the pokedex, the ability should teleport me to the last pokemon center the user's trainer has been too. I haven't been back to the center though since I've caught Tenma, so I'm not sure it it will work. It would save me a few hours walking if it does, though, so I decide to give it a try. Tenma comes out of his pokeball, and as soon as I give him the order to teleport, everything goes white. In what feels like just a second later, I'm standing in front of the Cerulean pokemon center. Seems odd to me that a pokemon can teleport to a place it's probably never even seen before, but I'm sure wondering about it will get me nowhere. I walk into the pokemon center, and end up taking a nap in one of the chairs while my pokemon recover.

Pokemon Report!
Active team:
Gonzalez - Level 20 Ivysaur
Shiz - Level 16 Pidgey
Chim-Chim - Level 15 Mankey
Stallone - Level 19 Geodude
Wiggler - Level 13 Beedrill
Tenma - Level 14 Abra

After reading all these, I've decided to start a Nuzlocke Challenge on Emerald. I won't do a long story or anything, but I'll post updates.

1. If a pokemon faints, I will put it in the 'Dead' box as soon as possible to keep as a memory.
2. I can only catch the first pokemon you encounter in a route/cave/town/area.
3. If my whole party faints, I can continue with Pokemon left in my PC (except the 'Dead' box). If not I must restart.
4. I can only use Pokemon centers to heal. I can't use healing items.
5. I can buy any types of Pokeballs or items, except for healing items.
6. I'll give all of my Pokemon nicknames, so its more personal when they die.
7. Battle Style is 'Set,' not 'Shift.'

EDIT:

I started with Torchic, and only managed to beat May with 2hp left xD. Not a good start. I got to Petalburg City and just managed to beat Roxanne thanks to Lucas and some Team Aqua grunt. I've already had a fatality quite early on. On my way to Dewford town now and the next gym badge.

Miguel - Level 16 Combusken
My starter. I completely got lucky, because he's hasty natured.
Lucas - Level 14 Lombre
He saved my team from being owned by Roxanne's Nosepass! He is quite sassy
Amelia - Level 13 Wingull
The first pokemon I caught! She's quite brave and its nice to have a water pokemon on my team.
Ryan
I recently caught him on route 116. He's hasty and is better than I thought.
Lisa - Level 7 Whismur
I've just caught her, so I don't know her well but she's very modest.

Dead
Ethan - Level 8 Poochyena
Caught him in Petalburg Forest, but he died there to, due to Wurmple's poisoning.

I also caught a Marill, but she had thick fat and not huge power, so she's in the box waiting to be a HM slave :)

The team travelled to Mt Pyre to give chase to Team Magma. I decided to go through the tower to pay respects for our fallen brothers (and sisters). We plundered the building of all its riches, picking up some incences on the way. Useless for now. Battling the trainers increased our experience too, and Vortex is on the way to a Swampert.
After leaving the tower for a quick heal in Lilycove we set off once again to reach the top of the mountain. Through the misty graves we plundered more, defeated the grunts and tried to stop maxie, the ginger bastard.
He got away as usual, without even a battle. Some old woman gave me a red Orb. Somehow that will stop Maxie. Because he stole the blue. Red and blue. Wow. Must mean something. Sarcasm there.
Now we're off south to go through that weird route, and some nice lady gave me a Giga Drain TM as I "like grass types". I have 2...

Ditto on mine. I am setting up a major story for mine. I have 2/3's of my update made. I just need to actually finish the game part of the update to finish the rest. It's an epic update to say the least:

-First major blow
-Hatching of my almost-omelete (named Sunny (for sunny-side up eggs))
-Slowpoke saga

Be ready for Update Four: Medical Emergencies and the Slowpoke Saga

Chapter 1: The Great Gonzalez
Chapter 2: Strange Books and Stranger Boxes
Chapter 3: New Companions and Old Rivalries
Chapter 4: The First Gym
Chapter 5: In the Mountains...
Chapter 6: Waterside Warfare
Chapter 7: Experiments at the Cape

Ended up running into my toughest fight so far in Vermilion.

Chapter 8: Struggle on the SS Anne

A salty sea breeze gusts by me as I enter Vermilion City. It's a friendly looking town, although it looks a bit empty. The only notable things in the city are the ship sitting at the docks, and of course, the pokemon gym. My first stop is the gym, but the door is covered by a mess of thorn covered vines. A passerby explains that the gym leader, Lieutenant Surge, had someone put the vines there. Apparently he felt like taking a home vacation after getting tired of beating down weak challengers. I try using my pocket knife on the vines, but it doesn't even put a scratch in them. None of my pokemon really have any abilities that cut well, and not even Stallone is able to pull the vines away. Looks like I'll have to come back later.

With nothing better to do for now, I decide to check out the ship that Bill gave me a ticket to. Unfortunately, whatever party was being hosted has already ended, but the sailor at the end of the dock tells me it's fine for me to get on and look around on the ship until it departs. Sounds interesting (I've never been on a boat before) so I take up the offer and start wandering around the ship. Some of the passengers challenged me to battle, probably after seeing the two badges on my jacket, but none were an interesting challenge. That changed though, once I once again run into a certain trainer...

"You stalking me, Bob?" Gary's says with a slight tone of surprise in his voice, "Didn't think you'd get an invite to this ship. They only let me on because Gramps is pretty famous."

"Got a ticket from Bill. Let me guess though, now that we've run into each other, I assume you want another rematch?" I know I shouldn't bother asking this. I already know the answer.

"Of course." Gary throws out his first pokeball, revealing a large bird. Looks like his Pidgey has evolved into a Pidgeotto. I respond by throwing out Stallone's pokeball. Even a bigger bird isn't going to be able to dent a rock, and Stallone quickly takes down the bird. One down.

"Even with evolved pokemon you're not a challenge." I sneer at my rival, but Gary only smiles and he throws out his next pokeball. His Charmander's evolved as well it seems, as a larger red lizard now stands before me. Stallone reaches into its mouth and pulls out a large rock, which it then flings at the Charmeleon. Gary's pokemon stumbles around, but stays on its feet.

"Heh. Time to finally crush this rock. Charmelon, use Metal Claw!" Gary shouts as his pokemon charges foward at Stallone, one claw raised in the air. The Charmeleon's claws begins to glow as he swings them at the rock pokemon, and the sound of the impact echoes through the ship's halls. Stallone quickly responds to the attack, sending his opponent to the floor with another punch, but cracks begin to run down Stallone's body. "That Geodude's tougher than it looks, but it's time to finish him off." Gary withdraws his wounded Charmeleon. "Kadabra, Go!"

A large yellow pokemon holding a spoon comes out of Gary's pokeball. Is this what Abra evolves into? Knowing Stallone is pretty damaged now, I send out Shiz, who like Gary's Pidgey, has also evolved into a Pidgeotto. Before the bird has time to launch its own attack, the Kadabra's eyes begin to glow, and suddenly Shiz falls out of the air, spasming as it lands on the ground. "What's going on?!" I yell out in disbelief.

"Looks like your pokemon can't stand up to my Kadabra's psychic powers." Gary says with almost a sadistic grin. I try to come up with a retort as usual, but he might be right. Once Shiz stops spasming, I return him to his pokeball before the Kadabra launches another psychic assault. Desperate to come up with some sort of plan, I throw out Wiggler's pokeball. Maybe the bee's venom will help weaken Gary's new monster. Wiggler launches itself stinger first at the Kadabra, but before he makes impact, Kadabra's eye's glow again, and Wiggler goes limp and falls.

"No!" I shout as I run over to my pokemon. Wiggler's large red eyes slowly fade to gray, and at that moment I realize he's gone. As I bend down to pick up the pokemon's body, I hear the sound of a pokeball opening. I look down at my belt, and notice one of the pokeballs had fallen out of my holster. Callie, a Meowth that I had caught while traveling here from Cerulean, jumps between me and Gary's Kadabra. Callie was untested in real battle so far, and the idea of losing her too painfully stung the back of my mind, but I know that if I call her back now, that Kadabra is going to get a free shot at whoever I send out next. "Callie, attack!" Wiping tears from my eyes as I issue the command, placing my faith into my new companion.

Kadabra's eyes begin to glow once more, but Callie bolts forward with surprising speed. Before Kadabra's able to react, Callie's already on top of her opponent, her sharp teeth sinking into the top of Kadabra's head. In moments, the Kadabra is on the floor rolling in pain, and Callie bounds back over to me, meowing gleefully. Gary's earlier grin is replaced by him grinding his teeth in anger and he calls back Kadabra, and sends out his final pokemon. Guess even his Rattata's evolved, I think as I look at the hideous large rat staring at me. I call Callie back to her pokeball, unwilling to take any risks with my new friend after she's already saved my team from that Kadabra, and send out Chim-Chim. Even evolved, the rat is no threat to Chim-Chim, and a quick chop to the face from the monkey leaves the rat on the ground.

Gary says something to me after the battle ends, but I wasn't paying any attention to him at that point. I call Chim-Chim back to his pokeball, and then carry Wiggler's body off the ship. On the way out, Gary catches back up to me, and hands me a small disc, which he says can teach my pokemon the Cut ability. Apparently the ship's captain's the one who created the technique. I reluctantly take the disc, not liking the idea of accepting a gift from Gary after what happened in the battle, and head back out to the docks.

I can see the ship depart, heading off into the sunset, as I prepare a small grave site at the beach. Carefully I place Wiggler's body into the grave, and cover it up. With no proper headstone nearby, I use my knife to carve Wigglers name into a plank of wood I find along the beach, and plant it in the ground on top of the grave. I wipe tears from my eyes once last time, and turn to head back to the city.

Pokemon Report!
Active team:
Gonzalez - Level 20 Ivysaur
Shiz - Level 16 Pidgey
Chim-Chim - Level 18 Mankey
Stallone - Level 19 Geodude
Callie - Level 18 Meowth
Tenma - Level 14 Abra

Box:
Monty Jack - Level 11 Rattata
Kenny - Level 10 Ekans
Alf - Level 6 Nidoran F

Dead:
Wiggler - Level 16 Beedrill - Fell as a necessary sacrifice to Gary to switch in Callie.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Are there any special rules for a Nuzlocke playthrough on Colosseum or XD? I'm thinking of doing one of the gamecube games, haven't decided which one yet. Since its all double battles, things are a little different than the handheld games.

Well, the only formal rules are the "pokemon faints it dies" and "only catch per pokemon in an area" ones, since those are the ones Nuzlocke used in his first run. I personally don't even remember Col or XD though, and no one I've seen doing a run has done those games, I not sure how it would work on those.

Are there any special rules for a Nuzlocke playthrough on Colosseum or XD? I'm thinking of doing one of the gamecube games, haven't decided which one yet. Since its all double battles, things are a little different than the handheld games.
I'm still thinking about doing this. I'm thinking that you shouldn't do the "First Pokemon per area rule" since you usually end up battling the Pokemon in a set order, which means your team won't have much variety. Everything else is fair game, though, I guess, depending on what you wanna do.

i have two simple questions.

1) Are we allowed to do this on the old Red, Blue, yellow and versions? The reason I ask is because I have red version in Spanish which would add EVEN more challenge for myself. Or do we have to use a 3rd/4th generation game (FR,LG,HG,SS,D/P, etc.)?

2) how does the alive in box work. Are you not allowed to switch them out during the game? Do you have to wait for one of your party members to die in order to bring them out of the box? I was just curious, it doesn't really state yes or no in the first couple of posts.

Nuzlocke challenges work with all gameboy versions of Pokemon. Make sure you follow the essential rules (pokemon fainting and 1 per area). Pokemon in boxes are backup. Ex: if I caught two geodude and one faints, then I can use the other in it's place. It works with whatever pokemon and anytime too. If you want to sub out a beedrill for ekans the do so. You pick what you do, just follow the main rules.

Toothache

Let the music play!
I'm still thinking about doing this. I'm thinking that you shouldn't do the "First Pokemon per area rule" since you usually end up battling the Pokemon in a set order, which means your team won't have much variety. Everything else is fair game, though, I guess, depending on what you wanna do.
There are several places where you can choose multiple Pokemon as the first in an area - the GSC starters in Colosseum, Duel Square in Colosseum, Pokemon Lab in XD (hexagon bros). And there's even a case where the first Pokemon you encounter is the same in two areas (Thug Zook's Zangoose, first of all in Gateon Port, next in the Shadow Factory, neither of which time you are able to snag it, so it rules out both of those areas to get snags.)

I suppose there's the option of the Pokespots for some wild Pokemon, there are 3 wild Pokemon that appear in each of the 3 spot, so that adds for some variety, and by the rules I'm sure you can take one from each spot happily.

As for nicknaming, you cannot do so unless you purify the Pokemon, so that adds a new challenge - you must purify a Shadow Pokemon before you can use it, with the exception of the Teddiursa you get in XD since that is a) unavoidable and b) occurs before you get access to purification. In all other cases you should have at least two non-Shadow Pokemon to use in double battles unless one has fainted.

Incidentally there are several places where Colosseum gives you a free heal after a fight, so this adds a new level of complexity - if you have a Pokemon faint during say, Miror B fight, then gets automatically revived afterwards, is it still usable or will it have to be released? Colosseum is a much tougher game than XD, but there should still be some risk in every battle. The free heals leave you prone to some healing abuse, so there is definitely room for a specific rule on this score. I cannot remember if XD gives you free healing in a few places, but I assume it might too.

Once the rules are established I can get started on XD playthrough, I'm not going to tackle Colosseum Nuzlocke yet since that will be much harder (you never get a level advantage throughout the game, even if you more or less solo the game).

PS The first Shadow you encounter in Colosseum Phenac is Makuhita, so that rules out the GSC starters as an option anyway.

Chapter One: Diary of an Asshole

Finally started my Leaf Green run. The rules are as follows, because I am a total pansy.

Here are the rules:
1. If a pokemon faints, you must release it as soon as possible.
2. You can ONLY catch the first pokemon you encounter in a route/cave/town/area (You get the idea). If you defeat the first pokemon you see, tough shit, you get nothing from this area.
3. Obviously if you run out of pokemon, you must start again.
4. Potions, healing items of any kind infact, are only allowed IN BATTLE. Pokemon Centres are fair game.
5. Give your pokemon nicknames, for fucks sake! Make them your little babies! CARE FOR THEM!
6. Unlimited TM/HM use.
7. If I forget to nickname a Pokemon, (very possible, my memory is horrible) it CANNOT be used at all until it is nicknamed in Lavender Town.

---

My dream was a strange one. I dreamt of Professor Oak asking my name, and his grandson's name. How ridiculous... When I wake, I play Super Mario Bros. 3 for a while, before ragequitting over a very unfortunate hax shot from a Hammer Bro. Bastard. Downstairs, my mother is mumbling gibberish about all boys leaving home someday. I think she wants me to move out... Hardly fair, since I'm only seventeen. I decide to cross over to Viridian City for an afternoon, to see a couple of friends. The wild Pokemon are not a problem. Despite what everyone in the world currently seems to believe, it is more than possible to run like hell while not wearing special shoes.

But, before I take even my first step into Route 1, an old voice cries out to me. Dammit. As Professor Oak trots over to me with the speed of an asthmatic Torkoal, I sigh loudly. "Crying out loud, old man, what is it now... I told you, that window breakage last week wasn't me. Just keep bothering me about it though. I dare you." Oak ignores me, whining about the dangers of wild Pokemon. Right, because I'm completely incapable of running. I forgot. Owait...

Before I know it, I'm in Oak's lab, selecting a Pokemon for "protection". I pick the Bulbasaur, who I nickname Seedan. Hey, it's free, it's a pet, and it's a potential murder weapon. Oak must be going senile. I make a mental note to take further advantage of this later, but then Blue challenges me to a battle to the death. I kick his pathetic little Charmander's ass, knock Blue himself, and steal 80 Pokedollars from his wallet. I'm an asshole like that. Strangely, Oak and his assistants do nothing. They must do it themselves. Route 1 passes without incident, except a couple of wild Pidgeys that Seedan takes down with ease. In Viridian, I meet up with a couple of pals in the local grocery store. I say that, but there's one aisle dedicated to general provisions, and the rest to Pokemon. I ignore that, buy a Dr. Pepper, and approach the counter, only to be told that, since I'm obviously from Pallet, I must deliver a package to Oak. I tell the shopkeeper exactly where to stick said package, and pay for my drink.

The following morning, I head over to Oak's Lab, since I figure I can get more stuff from him. I figure right; he hands Blue and I Pokedexes, asking us to go on a quest to fill them up. Lazy bastard. Maybe the senility thing was an act. Blue is sporting a black eye I gave him yesterday. I wink at him, and smooth my dark hair backwards. "By the by, I ran into your sister last night... She gave me this fancy-schmancy Town Map after *ahem* drinks." Blue glares at me like he's going to kill me, and I decide I shouldn't stick around... I dart out onto Route 1, and head back towards Viridian...

- Joshua

My challenge is suspended for a while since I'm on vacation and didn't bring my game. I will post again when it starts, though it could be like, another month

Toothache

Let the music play!
I've managed to make a list of what defines a new area for the purposes of snagging a Shadow Pokemon in Colosseum.

Phenac
Pyrite Town
Cipher Building
Pyrite Cave
Agate
Mt Battle
The Under
Shadow Pokemon Lab
Realgem Entrance
Realgem Lobby
Realgem Arena

After the credits:
Snagem Hideout
Deep Colosseum
Outskirts Stand

Also I recommend a ban on Mt Battle use for levelling Pokemon, since you get a free heal after every battle it becomes easy to abuse. The only time you should be visiting Mt Battle is when the story forces you to, and only then.

BTW, the gerbils are legendaries so cannot be snagged anyway. Sorry Entei fans.

Chapter Two: Dead Rat Walking

Back in Viridian, I buy another Dr. Pepper as well as a few Potions. Oak gave me a few Pokeballs before I ran out of his lab, so I figure I may as well use one. Might be helpful against Blue, if he ever actually decides he wants revenge. He's a total pansy though, so it's not likely...

I head west to Route 22, and encounter a small purple rat. A Rattata. I'd been hoping for something a little more fearsome, but, at this point, beggars can't be choosers. Seedan roughs her up a bit, before I make the capture. I nickname her Tailan, and start to familiarise myself with her battle style. She needs a lot of help from Seedan at the start, but she grows stronger quickly. Odd, but this Pokemon training seems to satisfy me. I feel strangely happy, watching Tailan's little muscles develop. Then, disaster. We encounter another strong looking Rattata, but I'm confident we can take it on. Tailan fights valiantly, getting in some clean hits, while the wild rat wags its tail in return. I taunt it, naturally. Mistake. Enraged, it flings itself forward with full strength, and sends Tailan flying into a rock. I hear the crack of her skull, and let out a ferocious cry. Seedan promptly avenges her, and I take both Rattata with me, to a secluded location. Furiously, I bash the offending Rattata's head in with a shovel, as due punishment, and hold the other lifeless Rattata's body in my hands. No pulse. She died the second she hit the rock. Strangely, I feel tears pouring down my face. I knew her barely an hour. Why am I so sad? I kiss her forehead, and bury her, before throwing her murderer's corpse into Viridian's pond. A charming sight for the next eight year olds who swim in it.

With a heavy heart, I head on to Route 2 (after inexplicably receiving a broken television from a coffee addict), and almost obliviously capture a Weedle, promptly nicknamed Waspan. I train him hesitantly, silently praying he doesn't suffer the same fate as Tailan. Critical Hits are bitches. During our training, he forms a pupa around himself to become a Kakuna. Surprisingly, he can still launch poisonous needles somehow. Not that I'm complaining. I have an urge to say a final goodbye to Tailan before entering Viridian Forest, so I head back to Route 22, and her grave... And meet Blue, who is urinating on her grave. Seedan wipes the floor with his pathetic Pidgey, and equally worthless Charmander, while I break Blue's nose and steal his money again. That should teach him to mock the dead. Bastard. Depressed at seeing the desecrated grave, I start walking. And don't stop.

In Viridian Forest, Seedan is king, annihilating anything that so much looks at him funny. I like the little guy. Unexpectedly, vines extend from the bulb on his back, and slam into a Metapod with wicked force! I'm impressed. The first thing I run into is a Weedle, and, since I don't particularly want another, stamp on it. My boots are tougher than you might think. As for Waspan, I mostly just carry him on my back, letting him watch Seedan dominate, but he manages to get a few fights in against fellow cocoon Pokemon, who seem to have no desire to do anything but harden. Whatever, they're easy prey. Eventually, Waspan bursts from his pupa, a mighty Beedrill. He seems to enjoy playing with his opponents before the kill, jabbing like a boxer on speed. I approve. He appeals to the sadist in me. The pain he inflicts on a pathetic Weedle somehow lessens mine at the death of Tailan.

Soon, I'm out of the sea of trees, and into a stone-grey town. Pewter City. I went on a school trip here once, to the museum. It was lame, and definitely not worth 50 Pokedollars. I heal up, and try to march out to Route 3, since nothing here interests me... Or not. A building marked "Gym" captures my intrigue. The Pokemon League challenge... An excuse to travel, a destination in mind, and it'll keep me away from Blue for a while. No way he's got the balls to take this on. Inside, a kid tells me that I'm light-years from Brock. I point out that he's right over there, mug the kid with Seedan's help, and stroll over to Brock...

--- Joshua

I've managed to make a list of what defines a new area for the purposes of snagging a Shadow Pokemon in Colosseum.

Phenac
Pyrite Town
Cipher Building
Pyrite Cave
Agate
Mt Battle
The Under
Shadow Pokemon Lab
Realgem Entrance
Realgem Lobby
Realgem Arena

After the credits:
Snagem Hideout
Deep Colosseum
Outskirts Stand

Also I recommend a ban on Mt Battle use for levelling Pokemon, since you get a free heal after every battle it becomes easy to abuse. The only time you should be visiting Mt Battle is when the story forces you to, and only then.

BTW, the gerbils are legendaries so cannot be snagged anyway. Sorry Entei fans.
A little credit where credit is due?

But yeah, I'd be Nuzlockeing XD if I was able to. It would be really hard, but also really fun. :)

Nuzlocke Challenge Update 1: Gender-Confused Professor --> Mr. Pokemon
Nuzlocke Challenge Update 2: Red-Headed Punk-->Party in the Making
Nuzlocke Challenge Update 3: Climbing the Tower--> Through the Cave

Nuzlocke Challenge Update 4: Medical Emergencies-->The Slowpoke Saga

This next part is going to be a mix of what I did before with bullet points, but I am going to be adding some dialog in this part. This part is pretty intense and emotional.

-As I head to the end of the Route 32 and to the Pokemon Center, I ran into this person who offered me some SlowpokeTail. Before I even gave him a chance to finish, I shoved him into the nearest tree, threatened him to stop selling SlowpokeTail or I will have to use my Pokemon on him. He slipped out of my grasp and left. I tried to send Tycho after him, since he was my fastest pokemon, but he sent a Koffing out that used Smog and Smokescreen to cover his escape.

-You may wonder why exactly I did that, but it’s a long story. See, my father was a Pokemon Ranger. He spent his time on nature preserves protecting men like him from harming Pokemon. He went abroad to Sinnoh a few months ago, and he was trying to find Spring Path, the site of a new nature preserve he would be working on. He planned to take worn down Pokemon to there for safe recovery, thanks to the spring’s natural healing ability. On the way there, he saw a young boy, similar to myself, changing a space-looking man, whom we later found out was a member of Team Galactic. The grunt managed to get into the Lake Valor, which was blocked off from the public. The boy ended up running into another woman and ended up forgetting the man. My father decided to investigate further, and discovered that Team Galactic was about to blow up the Lake. He then attempted to thwart their efforts; however, he was seen, captured, tortured, and was killed. Team Galactic was trying to force my father into revealing how to break into nature preserves and steal the Pokemon there, but my father was too strong for them. I hate people now who think they can abuse Pokemon like that. My father was a good man, and any insolent low-life who threatens his hard work will have to go through me.

-I then headed into Union Cave, after cooling off, and managed to catch a Zubat, who I named Xun.

-As I got halfway through the cave, I ended up fighting a Firebreather, who ended up poisoning Alena, my Geodude. I used a Repel I got from Violet City and rushed as fast as I could to the Pokemon Center I just visited. I didn’t manage to make it before the poison crippled, but not kill, Alena. I talked with one of the nurses and I found out that Alena ended up going into a coma. I was so devastated that I nearly broke down into tears. Luckily, I found out Alena will probably be okay, but since this Pokemon Center is too small, Alena will be transferred to one in Goldenrod City, where they will have the medicine to help her out. Relieved that Alena will be ok, I said my goodbye to her as she was wheeled into a ambulance that would take her to Goldenrod.

-I finally made my way out of the cave, and found a Rattata that I managed to catch, which I sent into the PC, since my party was full.

-Then, I discovered that there was something going on with the Slowpoke, once I arrived in Azalea Town. They had all disappeared from the town, which upset me dearly. I ended up asking people if they wanted to help me, to no avail. I then ran into Kurt, the maker of Pokeballs from Apricorns, who had known my father for years. He was just packing up to fight this black-hooded man, who was blocking Slowpoke well when I first entered Azelea town town, when I asked him about the Slowpoke problem. He believed that the black-hooded man was a member of Team Rocket, an organization that was disbanded for over three years. We were heading on the way, and I heard a rumbling in my pack. The egg actually hatched into a Pokemon that my Pokedex called Togepi. I named him Sunny (as in Sunny-Side Up Eggs, which if it wasn’t for that Kimono Dancer, I may have eaten). I told Kurt I would meet up with him as soon as I put Sunny in the PC for safe keeping (I didn’t want him hurt) and then talked with Elm for a bit. When I managed to get to SLOWPOKE Well, Kurt had fallen in and hurt his back. I pulled out my phone and called the Pokemon Center to have someone come out and help Kurt. As I hung up, I found a weak Slowpoke without a tail just sitting by the water. I went over and comforted it as best as I could. I called her Rikki, and I gave her some medicine I had in my bag. I grew to like me, so I decided to catch it, to properly give it medical attention and to take care of her. I gave the Pokeball to Kurt to watch over until I beat up Team Rocket.

-I ended up discovering that they were indeed Team Rocket, selling SLOWPOKE tails for money. Heck, one even said they’d sell anything for money. I dislike people who are blind about their actions, but people who know what they are doing are the most dispecable of them all. I tried to force some of the grunts to stop, but they could not disobey their leader, Executive Proton, one of the Four Generals, as I later discovered. I beat up all of the grunts with relative ease, thanks to Tycho. I then confronted Proton and ordered him to back down now. He then tells me, “I am often labeled as the scariest and cruelest guy in Team Rocket. I strongly urge you not to interfere with our business!” Taking this as a challenge, I sent in Tycho, my strongest Pokemon. He sends out his Zubat and Koffing, which were no match to Tycho. He leaves with a threat not to mess with Team Rocket again, which I shoved aside as nothing but empty words from a sore loser. Proton’s Koffing manage to poison Tycho, but I managed to get out in time.

-Kurt came after the medics healed him and escorted me out. He gifted me a Fast Ball for my hard work and then offered to make more Pokeballs from Apricorns I find, which was a generous offer from him. I then rallied my team back together, now that I have Rikki on my side. Rikki was perfectly fine, and the damage has been repaired for the most part. I found out from the nurses at Azelea town that Alena pulled through and is fine, but I have to still go to Goldenrod to pick her up. Sadly, I won’t be able to use her in my next Gym Battle against

Here’s my team currently:

Tycho of New Bark Town
Level 17 Quilava
-Tackle
-Quick Attack
-Smokescreen
-Ember

Still the powerhouse of my team, with his high stats.

Belle of Route 31
Level 14 Bellesprout
-Vine Whip
-Growth
-Wrap
-Sleep Powder
Sleep Powder will be a nice addition to Belle for status reasons. Debating on wheter she’ll be a permanent fixture to my team.

Aza of Route 32
Level 14 Mareep
-Tackle
-Growl
-ThunderShock
-Thunder Wave

ThunderShock and Thunder Wave are nice moves to have, taking down flyers and correcting Aza’s slow speed. A permanent member of this team.

Zili of Sprout Tower
Level 12 Gastly
-Lick
-Spite
-Hypnosis
-Mean Look

The lack of a special attacking move hurts his overall usefulness. He is on the same boat as Belle :/.

Xun of Union Cave
Level 11 Zubat
-Astonish
-Leech Life
-Supersonic

As soon as Zubat learns how to use Bite, I am home free, thanks to Wing Attack Lv. 17 and TMs/HMs.

Rikki of SLOWPOKE Well
Level 8 Slowpoke
-Tackle
-Curse
-Yawn
-Growl

A physically bulky Pokemon which will be able to attack on both ends of the spectrum at the moment, but will become a valuable member of the team.

Places visited and gained Pokemon:
-New Bark Town (Tycho, Cyndaquil)
-Route 31 (Belle, Bellsprout)
-Route 32 (Aza, Mareep)
-Sprout Tower (Zili, Gastly)
-Union Cave (Xun, Zubat)
-SLOWPOKE Well (Rikki, Slowpoke)
-Dark Cave (Alana, Geodude, Hospitalized until Goldenrod)
-Route 33 (Tim, Rattata, Boxed)
-Violet City (Sunny, Togepi, Boxed)

Places visited but no Pokemon can be gained:
-Route 29 (Pidgey, no Pokeballs)
-Route 30 (Metapod, no Pokeballs)
-Route 46 (Rattata, Tackle critical hit by Ty)

Places I visited and can gain Pokemon:
-Cherrygrove
-Ruins of Alph

Notes on my rules:
-Due to poison’s lack of ability to completely kill a Pokemon, I shall use the rule that poison temporarily removes the pokemon from your party until TWO-THREE major battles occur (whichever works best with the storyline). For Alena, my Geodude, I must fight Proton, Bugsy, and Rival and make it to Goldenrod.

-Seeing the use of healing items in battle convinced me that I should use some as well; however, I can only use what I am given/find (in battle only) and I can buy up to the number of Gym Badges, Team Rocket boss fights, Rival battles, and major event battles (Eusine, Kimono girls (count as 1)) of healing items (except revive) that can be used in the Elite Four AFTER BATTLES, since either healing items or massive grinding are required to beat the Elite Four. I am at no point in this game going to use a Revive/Max Revive. At this point in the game, I have accrued 1 Rival Battle, 1 Rocket Fight, 1 Gym Leader Fight, and 1 Event Boss (Elder Li), bringing Elite Four healing items to 4.

I suppose there's the option of the Pokespots for some wild Pokemon, there are 3 wild Pokemon that appear in each of the 3 spot, so that adds for some variety, and by the rules I'm sure you can take one from each spot happily.
You'd only be able to use two Poke Spots. Cave is out since on your first visit you battle Miror B, so Cave Poke Spot equals Voltorb.

Miror B would also screw you out of Togepi from the Outskirt Stand thanks to his Nosepass. Although, what would the rules say about a Shadow Pokemon you miss, but then Miror B uses at Rock Poke Spot, Oasis Poke Spot (assuming you don't get a wild Pokemon there beforehand) or Realgam Tower?

If I don't fully get these rules, feel free to ignore me.

Nuzlocke Redux

Sad Day everyone... My team was thoroughly swept by Jupiter and Gardenia, causing me to rage and destroy my Pearl (Figuratively Speaking.) So, I've decided to take up a nuzlocke challenge on FireRed (Will return to pearl after my anger subsides.)

Nuzlocke Challenge Trial
1. Capture the first pokemon you see per new route. Pokemon seen on routes before having pokeballs means no pokemon on that route.
Note: Towns count as seperate areas...
2. Fainted Pokemon means dead pokemon, and will either be released (most likely choice) or traded (received pokemon will be released)
3. Nickname all pokemon, to promote friendship.
4. Pokemon that live from poison (1hp) are dead.
5. No items outside of battle EVAR(except tms and hms...)!!! If poison lingers after battle, pray a pokemon center is near....
6. Battles will be set, no changing pokemon before the enemy.
Prolougue: The Professor Needs Glasses

"Hurmph... Ahem... Hello there! Glad to meet you!! My name is Oak, and I'm know as the pokemon professor. Pokemon are tiny creatures pets for some, while war- mongering creatures. I study pokemon as my job, but first, you need to tell me about yourself..." The old professor looks right at me, squinting as he opens his mouth.

"Are you a boy or a girl?" I stand there, arms folded as the old man stares at me. "A girl?"

"No you idiot, I'm a boy!!" I throw a crumpled piece of paper at him, which he promptly dodges.

"Aherm... So what's your name?"

"Ruby."

"Next question! Now you have a rival, who has been so since you were babies who also happens to be my grandson... What was his name again?"

"It was Blue you awful grand parent." I shake my head in disbelief; how a grandfather forgets his own grandson's name is beyond me...

"Well, you should come visit my lab... your about visit the world of pokemon!! See ya soon!!" And when the strange professor finished his speech, I began to shrink to a size suitable for video game play.

I show up in my room, in front of my NES, and after breaking my high score, travel downstairs, where my impressionable mother tells me she heard all boys leave from home on t.v., and tells me that Oak guy was looking for me. I travel to his lab, where he is nowhere in sight, and I decided to look for him on route 01, where I hear a familiar voice.

"Stop, Its dangerous without pokemon!! Follow me!!" And with that, Professor Oak drags me to his lab. "Here, pick one of those three pokemon! It'll be worth your while.!!" I nod as I walk to the first ball.

"Ahh Bulbasaur! Easy to raise! Good choice for beginners!!" Not wanting such an easy pokemon, I move to the middle one.

"Hm.. Squirtle... Its worth raising!!" I nod, as I walk to the last pokemon.

"So Charmander... It should be raised patiently!!" I nod as I pick up the ball. Hmm... Torchman the charmander... Of course my a-hole rival Blue picks squirtle, so he can have the advantage.
As I leave to show mom my pokemon, Blue stops me, wanting to destroy my pokemon with type advantage.

"Fine you cheater!" Handle this Torchman! After one scratch fest later, Blue goes down, and Torchman reaches level 6 and I decided to tell mom I'm going on a journey...

Now Ch. 1 will begin...
Chapter 1: On the Road to Viridian City!

Current Team:
Active:

Torchman(male Lv.7)
- Torchman is a very relaxed pokemon.
Scratch
Growl
Boxed:
Deceased:

Chapter Three: The Hills Are Alive... Or Not.

Brock, a young man with no eyes in his early-twenties, starts with a spiel about how his Pokemon are "rock-hard", and such, and then proclaims that "All my Pokemon are the Rock type!"

"No SHIT, Sherlock! The stones everywhere? The fact that we're in Pewter? THE FACT THAT THE FUCKING SIGN OUTSIDE SAYS SO? THAT WEIRD GUY AT THE ENTRANCE?" I'm referring here, to a weirdo in glasses, who wants to help me become champ, by offering advice to me. Anyway, Hell itself hath no fury like me when I'm pissed off, and Seedan clearly feels my rage, strangling both his Geodude and Onix to near-death, before mercifully letting go. In the process, his bulb practically explodes, sending two strange powders into the air. One is purple, the other green. He looks at me as if to say he can only use one. Recognising the green powder as Sleep Powder, I tell him to go ahead and keep that one. Brock collapses to his knees, and tosses the Rock Tomb TM, and a Boulderbadge at me. "Sign... the statue at the front... Then go to Cerulean... Get out of here..." He's practically peeing his pants. Nice! I grin, and take a marker from his little minion, who covers Brock with a blanket.

"WHAT THE CRAP?!" There's a single name written on the statue's plaque. "Blue Oak." So, wait, not only did Blue beat me here, he's taking the challenge too?! He is freaking stalking me, I swear. I privately resolve to kick his ass every time I see him for the rest of my life, and autograph the plaque. Route 3 awaits me now. Yawn. Eight wimpy little trainers are easily dispatched by Seedan and Waspan, who jabs at opponents with such fury, he remind me a lot of me. On the way, Seedan's bulb explodes again, this time revealing a pink bud underneath, the petals of his previous bulb becoming leaves. He becomes larger and slimmer too. He has evolved to an Ivysaur. I grin at his new form, realising the sheer ass he can kick now, with obviously boosted stats, and Sleep Powder. In a patch of grass, I nab a Spearow, whom I dub Sporran, and head for the Pokemon Centre. Inside, a man offers me a Magikarp for 500 Pokedollars. I let Sporran deal with him while I sip a Dr. Pepper, heal up, and then finally enter Mt. Moon...

Where I am promptly beset by a Geodude. The damn thing hops all over me until I kick it, breaking my toe in the process. Seedan sleeps it, and starts beating the crap out of it. I capture the weakened Geodude, and name her Hardan (tee-hee). I then take the afternoon off to bandage my toe, and level up Sporran and Hardan a little, to bring them up to par with the other half of my party. They both impress me with their progress, much more than Waspan, who I begin to consider retiring from the team... Though I decide to put off the decision until later. Our group makes it way through Mt. Moon now. I needn't have bought that torch from the shady gent, the mountain is surprisingly well-lit. This, I learn, is due to Team Rocket, who are excavating fossils. I don't particularly care, but take out their Pokemon anyway. Hardan appreciates the experience. She learns to create earthquakes of varying intensity on the way. Eventually, I meet a nerd, labelling fossils. Seeing me approach, he assume I'm there to take them, naturally. "Well, I wasn't gonna, but now that you've put the idea in my head..." Hardan sweeps his pathetic team, and I swipe the Helix Fossil. I turn back to see him doing something... disturbing to the Dome Fossil, something that should never, EVER be mentioned. EVER. Fortunately, Team Rocket shows up, and summarily beat the crap out of the nerd. Thank-you, God, I guess.

The sunlight of Route 4 feels good on my skin, after the dampness of Mt. Moon. Seedan seems to react well to it too. His bulb plumps up, and his leaves stiffen. Moving on, I hear a loud cry from two men. "ORAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!" I'm flung to the ground, as the two burly blackbelts land on me, and begin to argue over Mega Punch and Mega Kick. It's a moot point for me, since none of my current party can learn Mega Kick, and only Hardan can learn Mega Punch, so I let her do so. The Mega Kick guy sulks, and I hop down a couple of cliffs, only to be assaulted by a Sandshrew. Seedan, imbued with the power of the sun, takes it down in one Tackle. Shame, I wanted to nab it. At long last, I enter Cerulean City, deciding to stay here for the night...

- Joshua

Current Party:

Ivysaur(M)/Seedan
Level 18, Calm, Overgrow
-Tackle
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip

My starter, and main catcher. You don't like him when he's angry...

Waspan(M)/Beedrill
Level 15, Hasty, Swarm
-Poison Sting
-String Shot
-Harden
-Fury Attack

A pretty mediocre fighter, really, and quite a disappointment. Why couldn't I have found a Caterpie...?

Sporran(M)/Spearow
Level 15, Adamant (YYYYEEEEEEEESSS!!!!!), Keen Eye
-Peck
-Growl
-Leer
-Fury Attack

A surprisingly powerful force, who was OHKOing most things in Route 3's grass with Peck after a few levels. One to watch, but I want a Doduo, dammit.

Hardan(F)/Geodude
Level 18, Bold (FUCK!), Sturdy (Double fuck!)
-Rock Throw
-Magnitude
-Tackle
-Mega Punch

Despite her disadvantages, she is proving to be vital to my team, with excellent coverage and tankiness. I approve!

Deceased:

Tailan/Rattata
Level 6, Naughty, Run Away
-Tackle
-Tail Whip

The first capture, killed by a critical hit, which left a horrible taste in my mouth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)