Official "I want to edit an analysis" thread (read first post)

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dragonite

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers ** *Not Salamence
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 178 Atk / 24 Spd / 252 SAtk / 56 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/HP Flying
- Focus Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass]/Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

I ran that huge attack because I had Tyranitar on my team, so I wanted to hit Blissey, Snorlax, and Regice for damage that would be lethal with Sandstream factored in. Blissey has a chance to survive with max defense, max HP Bold, but it's down to 11% health max. It then has to make a choice. If it tries to Seismic Toss/Ice Beam/Thunder Wave, Dragonite anything will KO it with help of Sandstream. If Dragonite rolls minimum damage Focus Punch and minimum damage Ice Beam, Blissey survives with 14 HP, gets in one move, and promptly dies to sandstream. If Blissey softboils, it runs the risk of being Focus Punched again for the KO and no damage.

Regice has a variety of EVs, but if you run Flamethrower, a Focus Punch on the switch+that KOs even without Sandstream, regardless of how it's EVed. Focus Punch alone can bring Regice into KO range with sandstream, though. Focus Punch+Thunderbolt will KO with Sandstream usually, but more defensive EVs and bad luck with the random number generator occasionally let it survive.

Snorlax has even more wide EVs, but the standard seems to be 200 defense, 500 HP, 300 special defense, give or take (although that's not the most optimized, it's pretty close). If it's EVed like that, Focus Punch will rarely KO with Sandstream, but will always KO with Focus Punch+Thunderbolt (those sets without Thunderbolt can run into a bit of trouble by being forced to HP Grass for threat of thick fat (minimum damage rolls for both will leave Snorlax 6 HP short of being KOed by Sandstream), but Snorlax can't do much back except Selfdestruct or use Body Slam and hope for a para.

My original set was FP, Bolt, Beam, HP Grass, but I had some slight Steelix and huge Heracross problems, so I added Flamethrower over Thunderbolt for that, and haven't looked back since (I had no Gyarados troubles, which is basically the only reason I'd use Thunderbolt). HP Grass covers the stuff Thunderbolt will hit decently (although a bit weaker), and with Dragonite's monster attack, Focus Punch does just as much to a few waters on the switch as Thunderbolt, depending on how defense vs. special defensive they are. HP Grass to help with the huge Swampert weakness I had, it surprised a lot of people (but doesn't KO, so watch out for that). Those with Salamence covered may consider dropping Ice Beam instead, as Flamethrower and Ice Beam cover many of the same things (although there's not much that you would use Thunderbolt on, either, except waters low on health that you need to finish off, but even then, you're likely slower than most, unless you add speed or paralyze them).

Another thing I like about this is that the old standard Subpunch Dragonite hated Tyranitar's Sandstream; this one's a bit more of a team player, as I'd say it's actually more effective with Sandstream in play than without. I used to think Salamence is better than Dragonite, but after using this guy, it's pretty much only Intimidate that has me even considering that idea. It requires you to bit on your toes with prediction, though, as you can't scout out moves, Subpunch, and check CBers.

For the EVs, you could drop attack or special attack for more HP/special defense, to survive random Ice Beams (as leftovers are irrelevant, no need to EV for them, thanks to Sandstream). I don't recommend it, however, or special walls won't be KOed, which is very important if they are packing Ice Beam (Blissey and Regice). However, Blissey needs Modest for Ice Beam to KO without Sandstream, so with it, it's only 50-50 KO rate or so. If you run HP Flying over one of the special attacks, however, I could see lowering attack as an option (ironic, isn't it, that added another physical attack actually lowers the recommended attack stat?), as KOes of special walls would be made easier. Speed is for beating out standard Metagross and Skarmory (I run 180 max on both, so yeah).

So basically, Dragon Claw is not an option, I don't know why it's even mentioned, and HP Grass is cool.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
For Nidoking, Sludge bomb on set two should have a Megahorn option. Sludge bomb really sucks in that place because all its going to do is poison something while Megahorn actually kills things like Solrock, Slowking etc.

Kangaskhan gets wish =/

Lanturn really needs Toxic, it is standard on him with Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Sub/Toxic

Aggron could really use Ice Beam, it takes out Gligar early on

Muk needs Ice Punch for the same reason.

Also all of the counters on UU pokes aren't focused on UU at all.

I've been toying around with Dusclops lately and came up with this set which worked pretty well for me...

Dusclops (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 96 Def / 136 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Shadow Ball
- Sleep Talk
- Will-O-Wisp/Toxic

Toxic over WoW allows it to take on bulky waters like Milotic as I've found out.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Mew @ Choice Band
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 4 Spd / 92 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Softboiled/Explosion/Ice Beam
- Transform
- Trick
A Mew set I've been trying out. Can be Gamebreaking with the right prediction. You Trick the first guy, then Hypnosis the second, and then Transform on the third. And then start battering. Explosion is a last resort move when you think you can't transform and not die anymore. Softboiled can keep the game longer and Ice Beam is just to hit Rayquaza/Groudon who might predict a CBTrick or something. With Leftovers, this Mew survives 2 Dragon Claws from Latios and a Swords Danced Earthquake from Groudon. Feel free to mess up with the EVs, however

On Deoxys-F's analysis, for the last set(Superpower/Solarbeam/Fire Punch/Shadow Ball) Spell Tag should be added as an option over Lum Berry to ENSURE that you will KO Lati@s. You won't guarenteed OHKO a full-health Latias, but if it has no HP or Defense EVs you'll leave it with 5 HP at the worst.

I think husk1442 first used Spell Tag on Deoxys-F and he had Shadow Ball/Superpower/Psycho Boost/Extremespeed. But it should also have Fire Punch as an option somewhere to hit Metagross. Ice Beam too, or Thunder(bolt), so yeah. Spell Tag as an option on the first set, with Thunder over Thunderbolt also. Shadow Ball over Psycho Boost as well.

edit: If you are using Extremespeed on it, you should always have max speed +nature for a chance to hit other Deoxys-Fs with it before they can get you. If you aren't, you should only need like either:

374 Speed or what not for the occasional Dugtrio(I HAVE seen it, and believe it or not I actually used it once), because noone is going to use 394 Speed Mewtwo or any of that shit.

420 Speed for non +Speed Exeggutor/Ninjask so you can KO them with Fire Punch/Ice Beam.

For that matter, Extremespeed should be a standard on the Choice Band set, not just an option. Fire Punch should be listed with Psycho Boost/Rock Slide/T-bolt as well.

The Petaya subber set should have Ice Beam as an option INSTEAD OF Psychic. Psychic won't really do much. IMO you're better off with Sub/Thunderbeam/Extremespeed for other Deoxys-Fs or Superpower for Blissey and Snorlax, but you'll need like 3 layers of Spikes to OHKO Lax.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
ok a bunch more shit for UU/NU analysis

Butterfree: First set should have an attacking move over either Sub or Whirlwind. WW isn't going to come into use too much because after you sleep something, they will probably switch anyway. I prefer Psychic here for the likes of Swalot/chan in NU/UU.

Pidgeot: Needs more Hyper Beam on the CB set or as an option. I like Air Cutter/Double-Edge/HP Ground/Steel Wing. Steel Wing is pretty much needed if you are playing it in UU, as it hits Solrock for super effective.

Raichu: First set is for OU play, who is going to use Raichu in OU? Tbolt/HP Grass/Surf/Encore or Twave or Sub should be the first set listed as it is Raichu's primary set.

Sandslash: If you are using Swords Dance, then you should at least put Substitute as an option over HP Flying which won't really do much at all.

Nidoking: Second set needs Megahorn over Sludge Bomb or as an option. Solrock is going to be a (BAN ME PLEASE) otherwise.

Hitmonchan: Bulk Up/Sky Uppercut/Rock Slide/Earthquake or Mach Punch is definetly a good option.

Kangaskhan: Set one IS the standard. Needs more mention of Wish Kanga. Alo set one really needs Double-Edge at least as an option over Return. D-E 2HKO's a good Gligar while Return won't.

Electabuzz: Set one should be Tbolt/Sub/Ice Punch/HP Grass, mentioning Fpunch there is only for OU play where Electabuzz does not belong.

Lapras: The standard is Ice Beam/Tbolt/Rest/Sleep Talk. At least put Tbolt over gay Sheer Cold on the ST set.

Flareon: Sleep Talk! I use Fire Blast/Sleep Talk/HP Grass/Body Slam and it works very well. You will probably try to switch this into a grass pokemon like Tangela or Bellossom, which will Sleep Powder you. Sleep Talk can throw an unexpected Fire Blast at it which is always nice.

Meganium: HP Ice is a good option.

Lanturn: Standard is Tbolt/Ice Beam/Sub/Toxic. The lack of mention of Toxic makes me sad as Toxic Lanturn is a (BAN ME PLEASE) in UU.

Quagsire: Protect is a good option as well, helping regain health if you lack Rest and also since Solrock will sometimes try to explode on you Protect could help as well.

Pelipper: HP Electric for Kingler and other waters helps.

Aggron: Ice Beam/Sub/Twave/Rock Slide fucks Gligar up really nicely considering Gligar is the most common switch to Aggron.

Plusle: I had a lot of success with Tbolt/Encore/Sub/HP Ice and Encore is a great move.

Swalot: Giga Drain is awesome on this, and definetly should not be shafted into the Other Options. Relicanth and Sudowoodo do not like Giga Drain at all and they might want to switch into you.

Lunatone: It gets Baton Pass so Calm Mind/Psychic/Hypnosis or Ice Beam/Baton Pass is a great set for it. Also the EVs are screwed up, they need to be on snap. And 206 speed is too much iirc.

Walrein: Bad lapras? Not really, Walrein is an amazing pokemon, and a fucking bitch to take down. Body Slam and HP Grass are good options.

thunder has horrid accuracy, and why waste the hax on a move with bad accuracy.

and for RBY gyara heres a nice set I've had wins with
Hyperbeam
Earthquake/blizzard/thunderbolt/fireblast
Hydrpump
Blizzard/thunderbolt/fireblast/Earthquake
that's a decent set.

hyperbeam cuz it's cool in rby
EQ because its so common and is always good... but an elem attack works off of gyara's better special in rby
hydropump for stab and gyra's decent special in rby
tbolt to possibly get star on the switch... but don't leave it in... like, ever
fireblast to surprise BL grasses venusaur vileplume and victreebel. Nice for articuno too... though who work switch that in

Today we turned our lenses to the page on Banette! We've reviewed this species before. We can most definitely say that Banette's page's grammatical stature is suffering. After the read-through, we asked ourselves to correct a few nagging errors. Here's what we had to say:

Set 1 said:
Knock Off and attack whenever possible, but it's also fun to burn things. Insomnia can really mess about with some Pokémon and is an easy switch-in. Unfortunately, this can't be done often with Banette; as you can see, its defenses are lacking. This is more of an anti-tank Pokémon; if you're wanting to counter sleep inducers, Hypno is probably the safer bet.
Opinion said:
Switch in on sleep powder/spore and the like; more often than not this will cause a switch so Knock Off and there ya go -- a Pokémon without items. Repeat as often as possible. Snatch, well, Snatch Dragon Dances, Softboileds, Curses, etc... Banette, with its decent attack, is a good UU Ghost.
Counters said:
To put it simply, it can't take a hit. 361 attack sounds impressive, but most physical walls stop it dead. With that said, Skarmory, Weezing, and Suicune stop it defensively. Offensively, fast cb'er's, not even fast cb'ers are necessary though as Banette's max speed is 250, which isn't fast at all.

I feel that Ice Beam should be put on DD Rayquaza as an option over EQ or Rock Slide, depending on if you're more afraid of Metagross or Ho-oh, as it can ohko other rayquazas and 2hko groudons, two pokemon that could potentially be trouble for dd ray.

special arcanine should be changed a little bit:

-flamethrower/fire blast
-HP Grass/Ice
-Crunch
-Sub/Extremespeed.

And the description is to POV if you ask me, Ive always found the special set more useful anyway. Also a cb arcanine set wouldnt hurt.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
CB set goes ES/HP Fight or HP Rock/Iron Tail/FB. Naughty nature IMO. Not up on the EVs though, give it enough to KO Skarm on the switch.

It would ohko even without special attack evs and adamant. STAB plus super-effective behind that decent special attack stat.

64 HP/252 Attack/192 Speed with Jolly is what I'd use to outrun Heracross and Salamence, or max attack/speed with Adamant just because.

And while I'm at it:

Magmar@ Choice Band
-Trait: Flame Body
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Special Attack
-Adamant
-Cross Chop/Focus Punch
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
and pick two of the following for remaining places:
-Double-Edge/Hidden Power Rock/Iron Tail/Cross Chop/Sleep Talk

Like Blaziken but not as good. fire moves for skarm/forry in OU or grasses in UU. Fighting move for lax/blissey or Aggron/Golem. The other spaces are basically fillers. Not easy to get in at all but can cause chaos in UU once its in safely.

One last thing I almost forgot for Lati@s-not sure if this was already mentioned but there's no way in hell that Latios counters itself. A 591 SAtk (max/Modest) Latios does between 89% and 100% to a 384 SDef (min/no +SDef nature) Latios with Dragon Claw. Yeah, that counters it real well.

Now for the Latios I use:
Latios (M) @ Soul Dew ** Starlight
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 140 Spd / 216 SAtk / 152 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunder

350/525 Special Attack, 294/441 SDef, 320 Speed. This should beat Modest Latios one-on-one. Even if this Latios faces a max SDef without a +SDef nature (319/478 SDef, most likely Modest) Latios, Ice Beam will do a minimum of 152 damage to it. That just barely has a guarenteed 2HKO.

That Latios does Between 45% and 53% to a 540 SDef Latias(the most standard defensive one iirc) as well. Modest will have just enough for a guarenteed 2HKO on that with Ice Beam as well.

So yeah, Latios counters itself now? Yeah, right.

Jynx doent have an Other Options section at all. Not that I can think of anything really except maybe Wish, but that's suicide. Also Heracross can beat non-psycic Jynx unless it has a few Calm Minds, add it to the counters.

Maybe Fire Punch should be an option on cbgar to hit skarm and fory?

Aerial Ace should be an option for skarmory for people that want to use Whirlwind, have a 100% accuracy move, AND have perfect DVs. still does enough to ohko breloom/hera anyway.

Endure should be listed in the 'other options' on Sharpedo. Reversalers which are semi-common in UU wont like Rough Skin at all, and sharpedo can make use of its poor defences to kill the reversaler and get a berry boost or something.

And I found an interesting sentance in the Lickitung analysis:

'Belly Drum is terrible (like Lickitung) but it is there.'- wtf, ok noone is going to use belly drum Lick, but this sentance needs taken out or edited as it makes all belly drummers sound bad, which isnt nesisarily true.

I have a good Blaziken set here, from tek. He's never bothered to post it, so I will. BTW, it works.

Fire Blast
Focus Punch
Substitute
Hidden Power Ice

Get up a substitute and punch away, while using Fire Blast on pesky walls and Hidden Power Ice on fliers and dragons. It works pretty well once it can get set up.

Other Options: Sky Uppercut over Focus Punch and Hidden Power Grass over Hidden Power Ice. Sky Uppercut to take out things like Seismic-tossing Blisseys and Hidden Power Grass to stop things like Swampert.

Suggested EVs: 12 HP / 176 Atk / 252 Spd / 68 SAtk. I use those EVs and they generally work. Hidden Power hits hard on Salamence. Mild Nature.
------------------------------------------------
Also, an alternative for the CBjirachi set is to use HP Ground instead of HP Steel so you can hit Electrics and Steelix. Another one is to use HP Fighting to hit Blissey, Snorlax, Regice, Steel-types, and CBnormals and CBrock-types.
------------------------------------------------
Edit: I just thought of something: CBdoom

I dunno if this works, but whatever:

Houndoom @ Choice Band
Trait: Early Bird
EVs: 4 HP/228 Attack/252 Speed/24 SDef
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
-Return
-Shadow Ball
-Fire Blast
-Hidden Power Fighting

This should give you fairly good coverage. Reversal can be fun when at low health. Fire Blast so you are not walled. SDef to take unboosted, not-STAB water attacks. Houndoom is pretty fast and gets decent Attack, so it can work. Early Bird is to get up earlier from sleep, but you can change it with Flash Fire to make Fire Blast or Flamethrower stronger with good prediction.

Other Options: Iron Tail, Body Slam, Facade, Flamethrower, Hidden Power Ground, Hidden Power Flying, Hidden Power Bug, Sludge Bomb, Crunch, and of course, Reversal.

in the belly drum article, aerodactyl should be a counter to nonrock slide charizard. It can come in on the sub, rock slide it, take a belly drummed hit and kill it.

I figured that since Tauros has decent defense, he could be an okay resttalker, even though he is definitley better with Choice Band. I think it's worth a shot.

Tauros (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Atk / 20 Def / 116 Spd / 100 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Hidden Power [Ghost]/Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Sleep Talk

Rest gives him staying power and he gets decent defense and good attack, so it can work. Intimidate is also a fun trait either way and it can help Tauros in the long run. HP Ghost so Gengar can stay away.

I dont know if this set is already mentioned or not.
With Pokemon XD Ampharos gets Heal Bell and can sort of act as a Heal Beller/PPasser:
Ampharos (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Static
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- HP Grass/Ice
- Heal Bell
- Light Screen
- Thunder

Thunder over TB for paralysis,HP for Grounds.

Solrock really needs

Solrock @ Leftovers
Swagger
Psych Up
Rock Slide
Baton Pass

ZFS originally made the set I believe, I've used it in OU pretty successfully, even though it is technically a BPer it sweeps surprisingly frequently with some par support and luck. More effective that the version listed anyway. I usually rock Impish/a lot of Def and Hp since he is just trying not to die long enough to set up.

On Blissey's analysis, Counter should be an option on the CM set. And CM is still on the "Other Options" while it has already got a set used.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Someone forgot to put an opinion section on Relicanth's strategy. Also, in the RBY section, Gyarados doesn't have an analysis. These are pretty minor things, but I'm just sayin'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)