Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
^ I think ButteredToast was being sarcastic, at least I hope he was

Edit: o new page, just think of ^ as being the post above.

Not really joking all too much. Consider it moronic if you want, but when someone pitches in a way they know is ineffective because their teammate is egging them on to do it is downright disrespectful. It ruins the integrity of the sport of baseball and defiles the concept and privilege of being an All Star. Whether or not you disagree with the games influence on the post season or you if don’t like it that retired managers can coach, the fact remains that game does count for something and is more than an exhibition. If Verlander tried this in spring training, I would have no problem with it. But when the balance of a post season series rests on how you pitch, you should not treat it like some kind of backyard pickup game. And he did that by purposely pitching in a manner that he knew was ineffective and ultimately costly to his team. There is no defense to this action that justifies what he did. And not only do I blame Verlander, I also blame Ron Washington for keeping him in the game despite seeing what was going on. I don’t give a shit what the guys credentials are on the mound, if the fuck is not giving his all and is making a joke out of being here, he should be replaced and replaced fast.

And yeah, I was kind of kidding about him being banned for life, but SOMETHING needs to be done. A 5 game suspension and a large fine for Verlander and a 1 game suspension for Washington would be an appropriate dealing of this situation in my eyes. I mean, it is no worse than that coach who ordered his pitcher to balk in the winning run to save his team from using a position player, and that guy was suspended for a year. If the MLB wants any chance of salvaging this once great event, it needs to hold the people accountable for not taking this game seriously and for pretty much flushing the game and possibly the World Series right down the tubes for the American League.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If they want a chance to salvage the event, they should make it not count for anything, seeing as how it's an exhibition game. There is little-to-no privilege in being an All-Star. The starters are voted in by the fans, and the rest of the roster is filled in with obvious candidates. The day that you field the true best team available for each team, then that's when you can count the outcome for stuff. Until then, let the players and the fans have their fun.

It's ok, I know you meant to say THE BUCCOS are gonna have home field through the entire playoffs.
It's nice that the luck of baseball can allow fans from all different cities (EVEN TORONTO IN 09 YEAHHHH) to believe that they'll make the playoffs.

I apologize for the snark, but truthfully, look at the Pirates roster and tell me with a straight face that they'll beat out the Reds or Cardinals.

Speaking of the Pirates, did you know that in the Brewers verses Pirates game today, Zach Grienke became the first player to start 3 consecutive games in a row since 1917? Hasn't been done in 95 fucking years. What a boss.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
It's nice that the luck of baseball can allow fans from all different cities (EVEN TORONTO IN 09 YEAHHHH) to believe that they'll make the playoffs.

I apologize for the snark, but truthfully, look at the Pirates roster and tell me with a straight face that they'll beat out the Reds or Cardinals.
You could say the same for the Padres team of a few years ago that somehow inexplicably won the NL West. Baseball has 162 games in a season for a reason, it's a lot more luck based then most sports. This is supported by the best teams having a much lower win % then the best teams in say, Basketball or American Football. Not saying that the Pirates will win the division but you're speaking as if it's pretty much impossible (it's not).

You could say the same for the Padres team of a few years ago that somehow inexplicably won the NL West. Baseball has 162 games in a season for a reason, it's a lot more luck based then most sports. This is supported by the best teams having a much lower win % then the best teams in say, Basketball or American Football. Not saying that the Pirates will win the division but you're speaking as if it's pretty much impossible (it's not).
The Padres didn't make it that year, the Braves got the Wild Card and the Giants got the Division.

It's not impossible, but the Pirates are much, much worse than either of the two teams ahead of them. They lack the significant lead that the Padres had (and still, collapsed), so even while they have players pretty much playing at their peak, they still haven't created a gap.

I understand that luck can have an effect in the game, and you're drawing too much negativity to their chances from my post, but I beg the question again, to everyone. Look at the Pirates roster, look at the Reds', and look at the Cards'. Tell me with a straight face, that even with luck, the Pirates will beat out both of them this year. Chances are shit that they get that division.

The second wild card is another story, with any of the NL teams likely to make it at 83-85 wins (which is a shame). But for the division, the Pirates have no chance, as they'd need some mammoth sized luck (which they've already received) to do that.

You're right, but it's possible!

But really it's just nice being relevant again for a bit, and seeing Cutch play every day is a treat. Everybody in Pittsburgh is well aware that this team could easily collapse.

That's good, at least! Realism makes me happier. They've got enougn of a headstart to possibly stay for the second WC. Hopefully nothing as bad as last year with the Atlanta game.

I'm a Reds fan, but I have tons of respect for what the Pirates are doing this year. They do NOT have an elite roster, but they play as a team and they play with heart and theyve exceeded all expectations

On a side note, I decided earlier that if given the chance...I would go gay for Mike Trout. Dude's TWENTY YEARS OLD and he has a shot at ROTY, MVP, the batting title, the stolen base title, and a gold glove. As a ROOKIE. Has that ever happened? I doubt it. This guy could become one of the greatest of all time.

Stallion

Tree Young
102 of a possible 120 fantasy baseball points in Roto and 15 games clear of second. Thankyou Mike Trout! Also nice work ButteredToast for coming back to where you are now, impressive stuff!

102 of a possible 120 fantasy baseball points in Roto and 15 games clear of second. Thankyou Mike Trout! Also nice work ButteredToast for coming back to where you are now, impressive stuff!
Yeah, stall. It looks like your lead is safe again. As for how I've gotten up to second, I've been running no bench and 11 starting pitchers for about a month to chip away at DP's lockdown in the pitching department. It probably helped you more than it helped me though, so I'm expecting a thank you basket in the next few days. :D

Also with fantasy, I'm trying to figure out how many people are still actively playing so I can determine out my trade deadline/second half strategy. So far, I only see:

Stall
Me
DP
Pook
Raging Spec (Who I think is Biggie, but who knows...)

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
BiGGiE is Arena. I wouldn't consider mysefl active per se but I keep regular tabs on my team, make moves etc.

edit oh yeah im whiteguystoners

edit2: whoa fuck yeah matt harrison

edit3: oh wow im dumb

I was almost in tears upon seeing the Red Sox line up today. It looked almost like our real projected lineup save for the fact Dustin Pedroia was out....

I mean if you think our lineup was bad ass with Daniel Nava, Marlon "The Juicer" Byrd, Marro Gomez et al., just you wait until now...

The Nats keep things moving with a 5-4 win over the Mets in the bottom of the 10th. Bases loaded with two outs and Beato throws a wild pitch that brings Ryan Zimmerman home. This seems to be Zim's favorite play this year.

With David Ortiz now trotting around the club house in a mother fucking walking boot, I decree that no one is ever allowed to complain about their team being injured anymore for all of time. Red Sox Nation has earned the exclusive right to do this as a result of how this season has gone. Violation of these rules will result in me posting the words "2012 Boston Red Sox Season Quit Yo' Bitching" in big ass red letters, followed by the entire list of all the injured players we have had for the season.

This is now law. You have been warned. Break at your own peril.

You would think with how much money they had they could pay the injury bug to stay away. Did anyone ever put together how much money they had on the DL at the same time?

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With David Ortiz now trotting around the club house in a mother fucking walking boot, I decree that no one is ever allowed to complain about their team being injured anymore for all of time. Red Sox Nation has earned the exclusive right to do this as a result of how this season has gone. Violation of these rules will result in me posting the words "2012 Boston Red Sox Season Quit Yo' Bitching" in big ass red letters, followed by the entire list of all the injured players we have had for the season.

This is now law. You have been warned. Break at your own peril.
Blue Jays have lost 4 starting pitchers from their original rotation and lost 3 of them within a span of two weeks of each other. We claim some right. (Bautista is also injured atm, as is our closer)

Blue Jays have lost 4 starting pitchers from their original rotation and lost 3 of them within a span of two weeks of each other. We claim some right. (Bautista is also injured atm, as is our closer)
Hello. We also have had 4 of our should be rotation all out at once (Beckett, Buchholz, Dice-K, Lackey), our All Star closer, our MVP (Pedroia), and literally 2 levels of outfielders including the best position player in the AL last year. Yeah, the Jays have some injuries, but no where near the quality of players nor the time on the shelf. While you guys are worse off then most, no where near Sox 2012 level.

The Reds lost Madson and Votto. Votto is worth like as much as the entire Red Sod roster lol
Jacoby Ellsbury is a five tool AL MVPP who faces AL East pitching. Votto is a three or four tool (depending on who you ask) NL MVP and faces shit pitching like the Lastros, Cubs, Pirates (though they haven't been as bad this year as they have been in years past). If Ells got to hit off of JA Happ on a routine basis, then his numbers would look better than Ted Williams...

If two guys is all you have, and one of them being a relief pitcher, you should be lucky. And you have fucking Billy Hamilton in your system who is the second comming of Ricky Henderson.

2012 RED SOX: Quit Yo' Bitching

Current: (Not all that bad compared to pre-all star game)

Scott Atchison (Forearm, July 15-Current)
Andrew Bailey (Hurt squeezing a shampoo bottle, ST-Current)
Chris Carpenter (Bone Spur, ST-Current)
Rich Hill (2 stints)
John Lackey (Tommy John, out for season)
Dice-K Matsuzaka (2 stints, Tommy John for half of season, currently out with neck strain)
David Ortiz (Who the fuck knows whats wrong, not on DL yet, but out in a walking boot)
Dustin Pedroia (Thumb, missed time before though not on the DL. Nagging injury since April)
Adrian Gonzalez (On and off back tightness, playing through it for now)

Past DL's:

Jacoby Ellsbury
Carl Crawford
Cody Ross (Twice)
Ryan Sweeney (Twice)
Scott Potsednick (Sp?)
Darnell McDonald
Ryan Kalish
Andrew Miller
Daniel Nava (Not DL'ed, but missed about 3 games with injury)
Aaron Cook (Noted Freak Injury)
Josh Beckett (Twice)
Clay Buchholz (Noted Freak Injury)
Bobby Jenks (Another freak Injury)
Will Middlebrooks (Avoided DL because of All Star break, but was out for about 5 games)
Kevin Youkilis (Twice)

I can't account for the time on the DL or for the timing of how the injuries came to be. Most of the injuries came at the worst time and in groups by position. Our line up was a rotating pile of dookie until Ells, Crawford, Middlebrooks, and Gonzo came back after the All Star break. I mean, starting Brett Lillibridge a sub .200 and your AA 1st baseman/AAA DH in Marro Gomez as your starting 1B for a week plus, while having Dan Nava, Nick Punto and pirates reject Pedro Ciriacco in your lineup on a daily basis, you're up a creek. Just needing to emphasize that until recently, ALL these injuries, including pitching, were all going at roughly the same time. And now just as we are getting healthy and starting to come back, whippo, our best player and only stable offense goes on the shelf and is in a fucking walking boot, which is never a good sign for a quick recovery. I mean, we were literally 2 days until Pedroia comes back and we could have had our projected opening day lineup together and on the field for one fucking game this season But nope. This teams situation just continues to be an on going joke. The bambino must have woke back up or something these last few years...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)