Official NBA 2013 - 2014 Season Thread

you were making fun of him for saying something glib and possibly poorly phrased, just like his "lol stop" was making fun of you for saying glib and incredibly poorly phrased things..I am not going to give you any more tl;drs about it, I am all for calling someone out and being petty, you just are not doing it anywhere close to the right way

cjrocker, Wizards making the finals would not be a historical anomaly (you only have to beat your conference - teams that makes finals basically usually go 63%+ in conference, and Wizards actually incredibly did that despite losing basically every game out west), but is still essentially preposterous given how prone they are to collapse, and how inconsistent all of their shooters are.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Holy fuck that raptors game was intense. These guys are fucking Jekyll and Hyde though, putting up 35+ first quarter points in one moment and then shooting 19% in the third. Thankful the refs didn't decide this game though they certainly were active with some dubious calls in the third quarter especially. Saw at least two no contact calls and one technical against Brooklyn turned into a double technical for absolutely no reason. Hell of a series so far, home court advantage will decide this for sure.

FUCK BROOKLYN!

yeah LOL @ a 6 seed not beating a 3 seed what a bunch of fukin scrublord douchenozzles

what the hell is this forum right now???
You're kidding yourself if you don't think the Nets put themselves in this position on purpose. They're a much better team than the Raptors for various reasons, despite their seeding. They match up favorably against the Heat too, if the regular season is any indication (normally it isn't and shouldn't be, but when you sweep the defending champs you'd be crazy to not try and capitalize off of that.) Also if you didn't notice having a lower seed hasn't meant jack so far in the first round (unless you're Charlotte, poor Al.) Think before you speak.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think the Nets put themselves in this position on purpose. They're a much better team than the Raptors for various reasons, despite their seeding. They match up favorably against the Heat too, if the regular season is any indication (normally it isn't and shouldn't be, but when you sweep the defending champs you'd be crazy to not try and capitalize off of that.) Also if you didn't notice having a lower seed hasn't meant jack so far in the first round (unless you're Charlotte, poor Al.) Think before you speak.
yeah 60 year old paul pierce and garnett playing less than 20 minutes because he physically can't go anymore is the scariest thing i've ever seen

no one with a brain thinks the nets are noticeably better in any way, the series is evenly matched at best.

Nets should be a 3rd seed if not for their early struggles. And experience matters in case you still think with your butthead.

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nets should be a 3rd seed if not for their early struggles. And experience matters in case you still think with your butthead.
Literally the exact same applies to the raptors. 6-12 before the Rudy Gay trade adds up quite a bit when you go 42-22 the rest of the way (0.656 win rate, 54 wins across a full season). The Nets are a comparable team to Toronto, but certainly not a definitively better one.

I'd respond to how stupid you are for not even mentioning or crediting the Raptors in any way, shape, or form but Texas Cloverleaf articulated the point in a far nicer way than I would've.

Morality > Anything Else

In regards to a business as large and popular as the NBA. As soon as the tapes were confirmed to be Donald Sterlings views, the NBA couldn't associate themselves with Sterling or anything standing in popular belief of the people. Which is why the sponsors jumped ship. Although the lifetime ban was a result of Donald Sterlings racist remarks I don't think the NBA banned him for life because he was a racist but because his views were public and harmed the NBA financially. America is capitalism personified.

In no way do I support Sterling mind you, but I am curious, can the NBA legally force him to sell his team? I thought I saw somewhere it would take a 75% vote of owners to do so, but there is kind of the issue that it is his property; there might even be written into a contract or document somewhere that allows for it, but that strikes me as semi-shakey legal ground if he really wanted to throw money at a lawsuit over quietly going out.

I guess the other option would be to dis-enfranchise the Clippers if Sterling won't let go and it turns into a legal mess, then immediately creating a new entity under a different name that would assume every contract the Clippers has in place. But eh, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out if it comes to that, as I don't think any major league owner has been forced to sell in my lifetime over something like this, so would be interesting to see what precedents there are.

Also a bit curious how they're gonna make him pay a fine considering he can basically flip em off if he's a persona non grata now.

Last edited:
I don't think the NBA should force him to sell. That creates a dangerous precendent imo. As far as encouraging him to sell with fines, bans, etc., that is all perfectly fine to me.

Texas Cloverleaf

The "NBA" is capable of forcing a sale. A vote will be held among the standing owners remaining and should they vote with a 75% result or greater the Clippers stake held by Sterling will be sold.

It has nothing to do with precedent but rather with the legal documents governing ownership, its pretty standard for a corporation of this magnitude. Should Sterling refuse to sell I expect his stake would be seized by the "NBA" and auctioned off to interested parties. The thing is it isn't really his property, I expect as part of owning a franchise in a league he signs contracts slaving him to the constitution governing ownership, within which would be contained the clauses that allow other owners to vote out the incumbent. Again its pretty standard for a corporation of this magnitude to have clauses that allow an extreme majority of owners to remove owners who have become detrimental to the health of the organization.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)