Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
All the people who live close to NY and LA should definitely try to grab an on site spot. I'm sure there will be at lease like 8+ people who don't show, so you'll have a decent shot. That was what I was planning to do until I actually ended up qualifying, lol.

I hope to meet up with some smogonites in NY, that would be really cool.

All the people who live close to NY and LA should definitely try to grab an on site spot. I'm sure there will be at lease like 8+ people who don't show, so you'll have a decent shot. That was what I was planning to do until I actually ended up qualifying, lol.

I hope to meet up with some smogonites in NY, that would be really cool.
I'll be living in there come July (I live in PA right now), so it'd be pointless of me not to go.

Don't ask about AR Codes and such here and if they're "detectable" or not.

Also, http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41588 NYC meet up anyone?
Sorry about that.

It would suck if that happened to a lot of people, cause my friend (who would be able to make it if he got selected) lived too far to justify a 4 hour drive "just in case."

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well I wasn't chosen.

Sorry, but you were not randomly selected to participate in a Pokémon Video Game Showdown Qualifier Tournament. However, in the event that less than 128 invited participants in either age group show up at a Qualifier Tournament, alternates may be randomly selected from those in attendance. It's not a guarantee to participate, but it's worth a shot if you don't have a space reserved. Space may be limited, so show up early. And while you're there, you might even get a chance to meet Pikachu!

I'm a little pissed. Like, I've been training my ass off for a month. This raffle thing has gotta be the stupidest thing they've ever done. If somebody really wanted to get in, they would've grabbed the first spot, and thus deserved it more. First come first serve. I honestly don't even see the point of training a team and going over there, if I only have a slim chance of filling an open slot. I've waited two years for another shot at a Pokemon Tournament even a fraction of the size of JAA, and I get turned around before it even starts. But of course, they have to get my hopes up for a month...and make me waste my time hatching countless eggs, BUYING ANOTHER COPY OF POKEMON XD just to get certain moves on my tournament team...what a waste of time.

Even if there are 8 or so open slots, chances are they're gonna get swamped. I really didn't mind the rules or setup, but this raffle thing...gotta be the stupidest thing Nintendo has ever done.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well to be honest it was your fault.

Why go all out on something that you'd be randomly selected for ?_?

I do agree that the raffle is a pretty bad idea but I like it better than first come first serve considering there is only 128 slots.

i didnt make as expected since i never win anything but whatever. im glad, i didnt even waste my time on training or making team even if i would of made it i doubt i would of been able to go since its like a three hour drive and gas is so expesive.

Dammit, I want to be in, not see fucking Pikachu.

Yeah, I scored perfectly on the test as well, so looks like they went ahead with their raffle. I'm still going to NYC that day, I'm only half a hour away. I'm hoping to see some Smogoner win this tournament.

Edit: Alternates have to be there at 8:45? Pikachu better be a hot girl. :\

I do agree that the raffle is a pretty bad idea but I like it better than first come first serve considering there is only 128 slots.
There could have at least been multiple qualifier rounds like they did for the Seattle Emerald tournament. There were like 8 or 16 regions and 2 people from each region made it in. At least that way people who really wanted it were only prevented from qualifying by being beat out by people who want it just as badly.

In short, Nintendo flat out refused to accept an option that would guarantee at least halfway competent participants.

There were 8 regions IIRC, and 3 previous qualifying rounds for the Battle in Seattle tournament. The top 2 from each region(and there was actually a Canada region!!!!) after the 3 qualifying rounds went to Seattle to battle for the championships, blablabla.

Is it too late to sign up? I live in Westchester New York, which is about half an hour away.

EDIT:Never mind, the raffle idea is really stupid.

Yes it's too late to sign up. Lucky for me, this chick I loosely know who got in, sees my team as the potential winning strategy, and is taking it. So my Pokes are still in. I just wish I could be the face behind it.

The moment you've all been waiting for, Nintendo's official stance on cloning:

My email:

> Will the official tournament allow players to have
> 'cloned' Pokemon on their game cartridges? There is a
> glitch (at least it is my assumption to be a glitch) in
> Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl that involves a player
> depositing their Pokemon onto the GTS, then turning
> their game off while in the process of saving. Upon
> turning the game back on, the Pokemon will still be in
> the player's party, and an identical copy of the Pokemon
> may also be deposited on the GTS. Such a technique is
> incredibly risky, though if pulled off correctly it
> gives the player an infinite amount of Pokemon or held
> items, which may be distributed to other players for
> rare or valuable Pokemon and items. This technique does
> not seem fair, however, official tournament rules do not
> outline the eligibility of said glitch.

their response: (!)

We cannot and will not discuss the extent of verification that will be used at the Showdown or the Qualifier Tournaments.

I really do appreciate the personalized response you sent me though!

(for the record I was only doing this for another forum anyways, as I can't compete. needless to say, they've failed to address the issue.)

Well I am dissapointed that I didn't manage to get in, there is a small chance that I might go to the tournament anyway to see if I can grab an alternate spot. In any case, good luck to all those who were selected!

"Sorry, but you were not randomly selected to participate in a Pokémon Video Game Showdown Qualifier Tournament. However, in the event that less than 128 invited participants in either age group show up at a Qualifier Tournament, alternates may be randomly selected from those in attendance. It's not a guarantee to participate, but it's worth a shot if you don't have a space reserved. Space may be limited, so show up early. And while you're there, you might even get a chance to meet Pikachu! "

Got this as well. Read the bolded part and just wanted to shoot myself. =/

But that's OK. I didn't have high expectations for this, so pessimism works.

The moment you've all been waiting for, Nintendo's official stance on cloning:

My email:

> Will the official tournament allow players to have
> 'cloned' Pokemon on their game cartridges? There is a
> glitch (at least it is my assumption to be a glitch) in
> Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl that involves a player
> depositing their Pokemon onto the GTS, then turning
> their game off while in the process of saving. Upon
> turning the game back on, the Pokemon will still be in
> the player's party, and an identical copy of the Pokemon
> may also be deposited on the GTS. Such a technique is
> incredibly risky, though if pulled off correctly it
> gives the player an infinite amount of Pokemon or held
> items, which may be distributed to other players for
> rare or valuable Pokemon and items. This technique does
> not seem fair, however, official tournament rules do not
> outline the eligibility of said glitch.

their response: (!)

We cannot and will not discuss the extent of verification that will be used at the Showdown or the Qualifier Tournaments.

I really do appreciate the personalized response you sent me though!

(for the record I was only doing this for another forum anyways, as I can't compete. needless to say, they've failed to address the issue.)
I'm betting that's a yes, and they just don't want to admit it.

Also, I wasn't selected either. No, I don't want to drive halfway across America to meet fucking Pikachu! =/

Edit: And even if I were to go anyway, alternates are still selected at random, not on a first-come-first-served basis! Stupid Nintendo...

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
I'm betting that's a yes, and they just don't want to admit it.

Also, I wasn't selected either. No, I don't want to drive halfway across America to meet fucking Pikachu! =/
Yes, you do. Throw a Thunderstone at him and ruin kids' dreams.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I doubt getting "a chance to meet Pikachu" would make it an incentive for my son and I to drive over from Connecticut as it'll probably be a last-minute decision on our part just to expect to spectate. We both agreed Nintendo messed up big time by having it lottery fashion as a much less population was selected compared to the way JAA worked a few years ago. Good luck to those that got in and who knows we might even get lucky.

I wish there were more pokemon video tournaments around like there are with yugioh and Brawl. The place where my son & I have gone to for PBR tournaments did have them for awhile at least twice a month but some of the regulars haven't been showing up but rather favored to have Brawl tournaments instead unfortunately.

I figured out why there's no level adjustment in this tourney: They're just doing a simple local battle using the communication club colosseum in the 2nd floor of the pokemon center.

They're really not going all out for this tournament at all.

The only way for level adjusted battles is wifi. Unless you want to enter you opponents code and then go online even though you are standing right next to them.. :D

I'd prefer lvl 100 battles. Leveling up is annoying but eh, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)