Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite actually living in California, I can't go =( Good luck to all the other Cali playters though, and I suppose the people crazy enough to fly over for a 40% chance of playing! =P

If more than 128 participants in any age division register on site to participate in the event, participants will be selected via random drawing to meet the required 128 player limit, except for the event in Paris where 127 participants will be selected per category via random drawing and 1 spot will be reserved in each for representatives selected prior to the events by Nintendo of Ibérica, S.A.
WHAT THE HELL? Does this mean that Spain DID get a tournament?

The World Championships will include not only the 32 winners of the U.S. National Championships, but also up to 16 winners of a POKÉMON™ video game competition being held in Japan and up to 12 winners of a European Worlds Qualifier Tournament
Why only the first two winners of each european country are going to get the invitation?

However, the wristbands are considered non-transferable.
Where? Do they even check wristbands?
BTW, what happens if the registrant are more than 493?

Despite actually living in California, I can't go =( Good luck to all the other Cali playters though, and I suppose the people crazy enough to fly over for a 40% chance of playing! =P
Well there are people crazy enough to fly over for a very slim chance of playing in the european tournaments =(

oof... well...

I just plan to attend for a shiny pretty fishy... and if the principle of incredible-dumb-luck-strikes-disinterested-participant law applies, my wristband will probably get drawn. And since I will be registering "Team Bidoof", I can only expect EPIC FAIL.

Ultimatedra: send me a PM please~

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Why only the first two winners of each european country are going to get the invitation?

Most likely because international plane trips are expensive.

Where? Do they even check wristbands?

Actually I talked to my brother(who was the one that actualy participated). He said that when they put on the wristband they said that he would be DQ'd if the wristband was cut or stretched. They did not explictly state the wristband was non-transferable but I think that's what they were implying since there's no way to get the wristband off other than by cutting or stretchimg it. He also said they they did check the wristband once or twice to make sure he was a competitor. At the same time, they may have been checking to make sure the wristband had not been tampered with.

BTW, what happens if the registrant are more than 493?

No idea. I didn't think to ask about it until I left the event. I'm not even sure they would have a Arceus wristband since I don't think Arceus has been official regonized outside of Japan.

So wait, what's the chances of me getting into the SFO tournament itself, just a chance to play even?

1 in a 1000?

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
WHAT THE HELL? Does this mean that Spain DID get a tournament?
No, that means that a random guy who works for a video-game website / tv show or something like that is going to steal a spot in Paris, even if he don't know anything in competitive battling... %)

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My basis on Philadelphia to expect 1000 was that a majority that did attend New York last year will make a diligent effort to make it there since it was a great time for all of us win or lose, and to also take into consideration this is the closest location for the former JAA locations of Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC as well.

Since it will likely be both my son and I attending, hopefully if one of us does get in while the other does not that both can at least go inside even if only one participates. It will be a disgrace if one of us has to sit outside the entire time.

Team Rocket Elite

Guests of competitors are given priority if the location starts to fill to capacity. If either you or your son get in, the other will be allowed to stay as a spectator.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, I don't remember them saying there's a rule against outside help. However, I seriously doubt it's actually allowed.
I was thinking about entering my dad and if he got drawn just helping him, but they said that ONLY the person with the wristband is allowed in the competition area and that people on the sidelines have to not give any advice/aid to those battling. Or something quite similar, at least. I wasn't paying much attention after they drew the names, just standing in line to get my Milotic.
I doubt they'd let anyone tagteam. It's either you get drawn, or you have to hope your mom can battle alone, I believe.

Man I hope they have like 6 events next year too 8) And hopefully they will up the number to 256 if the other events have over 200 people attending as well.

I was thinking about entering my dad and if he got drawn just helping him, but they said that ONLY the person with the wristband is allowed in the competition area and that people on the sidelines have to not give any advice/aid to those battling. Or something quite similar, at least. I wasn't paying much attention after they drew the names, just standing in line to get my Milotic.
I doubt they'd let anyone tagteam. It's either you get drawn, or you have to hope your mom can battle alone, I believe.

Man I hope they have like 6 events next year too 8) And hopefully they will up the number to 256 if the other events have over 200 people attending as well.
More like let's get 28 events like in JAA, 6 is far too few. Also maybe make the selection process a little better?

Team Rocket Elite

becouse alot of the judges turned of the systems before they could register the battles. it was pretty lame.
Did that actually happen to some people? When my brother way playing the judges alyways seemed occupied and didn't notice the battle had ended until he or his opponent signaled that the battle was over. It only takes a moment to save the replay so if this happens you could probably stall long enough to get the job done. Just ask if they can wait for you to save the replay and it'll be done before they can even answer.

There were also a couple other issues that caused replays to be lost. Players getting to caught up in the moment after winning/losing and forgetting to save a replay was defintely one of them. This actually happened in the Senior finals which is why we only have a camera recording of the battle. If a friend of yours makes the final, yell at them to remind them to save the replay! Even if you don't know the people battling get them to save a replay anyways.

Another thing was the games can only save one of your own replays at a time. You weren't given time between battles to transfer the replay to a friend. There was a break, but they take your game during it for hack checking. This means you can only save one battle from the tournament.

Cheating

Hello All,

I was recently preparing for this tournament and realized that in a weaker moment in my time playing this game i had used AR to cheat and I got very worried that I might have to restart my game a month before the tourney. I went to the smog irc and asked them what they thought and they said I should be fine with the approach i took which was get rid of everything (items, old pokemon that have been cheated, tms, berries, etc) But in a diesels post they said they take the game and put it into some ds checker thing. I need to know right now if anyone thinks that ill be DQ'ed if all my pokemon are legit and i have no illegal movesets/items. And then there is the problem that i have arceus in my nationaldex caught =/ Will they see that too? Let me know what you think!

Hello All,

I was recently preparing for this tournament and realized that in a weaker moment in my time playing this game i had used AR to cheat and I got very worried that I might have to restart my game a month before the tourney. I went to the smog irc and asked them what they thought and they said I should be fine with the approach i took which was get rid of everything (items, old pokemon that have been cheated, tms, berries, etc) But in a diesels post they said they take the game and put it into some ds checker thing. I need to know right now if anyone thinks that ill be DQ'ed if all my pokemon are legit and i have no illegal movesets/items. And then there is the problem that i have arceus in my nationaldex caught =/ Will they see that too? Let me know what you think!
Lol, Arceus in the pokedex. It's obvious just by that that you've hacked or traded with a hacker. Did you used the AR on your Platinum? Because this tournament is held on Platinum, and you can trade you team to an unhacked Platinum (provided they are unhacked). Now if you havn't the money to buy a DS and a new Platinum, I guess you will have to restart your game. As soon as you plug an AR into your game and your game saves, there is a permanent record.

If he did hack on his Platinum, he could trade his tournament pokemon over to a trusted friend using wi-fi, factory reset his Platinum, then trade the pokemon back once he finishes Platinum.

Whats the estimation of people coming to SFO?

Also, if I come there two hours early, does it boost my chance of getting a seat still?

Whats the estimation of people coming to SFO?

Also, if I come there two hours early, does it boost my chance of getting a seat still?

nope. you can show up 5 mins before regsteration closes and still get in. my nephew as number 9-blastoise, and squirtle and wartortle both got in.
it is random.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)