Gen 6 Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire Mega Evo discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right thread, but I just got done RNGing a shiny Groudon, Adamant nature. Any ideas for an EV spread to make it work as a Primal? I was thinking 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Sp. Defense but let me know if there's a better spread.

yohoE

I'm jus Here for da memes r wateva dem shits called
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right thread, but I just got done RNGing a shiny Groudon, Adamant nature. Any ideas for an EV spread to make it work as a Primal? I was thinking 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Sp. Defense but let me know if there's a better spread.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-are-my-pokémon-ivs-and-nature-good-thread.3490330/page-30#post-5858762 - here would be better to ask

but, a better EV spread would probably be 252 atk and speed, since oras will be a more offensive meta

If Primal Groudon is not running Dragon Claw then, Mega Rayquaza, Giratina-o, Giratina-a can do well against it.

If Primal Groudon is running Dragon Claw then it probably is forgoing Stone Edge / Rock Slide, in which case, Ho-oh walls it.

A lot of Uber Pokemon are like this, where there are no true counter or none until you have figure out what set it is running. This is nothing new, so while I do think Primal Groudon is a very good Pokemon, I disagree that it is this overly powerful threat that severely limit teambuilding or is a Pokemon that is way too difficult to deal with.

Other Pokemon that check Primal Groudon in general are Lugia, Groundceus and physically defensive Yveltal which can check Primal Groudon decently most of the time. There are also some obscure checks such as Mega Gyarados.

On the topic of Primal Groudon I think Adamant should be preferred over Jolly. Or if you want more power from your Overheat, a Lonely nature can be good too.

Karxrida

Eventide
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
If Primal Groudon is not running Dragon Claw then, Mega Rayquaza, Giratina-o, Giratina-a can do well against it.

If Primal Groudon is running Dragon Claw then it probably is forgoing Stone Edge / Rock Slide, in which case, Ho-oh walls it.

A lot of Uber Pokemon are like this, where there are no true counter or none until you have figure out what set it is running. This is nothing new, so while I do think Primal Groudon is a very good Pokemon, I disagree that it is this overly powerful threat that severely limit teambuilding or is a Pokemon that is way too difficult to deal with.

Other Pokemon that check Primal Groudon in general are Lugia, Groundceus and physically defensive Yveltal which can check Primal Groudon decently most of the time. There are also some obscure checks such as Mega Gyarados.

On the topic of Primal Groudon I think Adamant should be preferred over Jolly. Or if you want more power from your Overheat, a Lonely nature can be good too.
Mega Gyarados is not a check because Mold Breaker does not bypass Desolate Land.

That is part of the problem though, P-Groudon could be too unpredictable, with all the possible sets. While you can scout for his moveset, a seasoned opponent will make use of this, and could predict that. So while the opponent scouts, groudon can still put in a lot of work. This does limit team building to an extent, as when building a team, one would have to account for most of groudon's sets so as to not lose to one of them, a mark of how centralizing it will likely be. And the fact that one would have to deliberately add a pokemon that specifically deals with groudon shows just how much it will probably limit team builidng.

Stress on the word probably though, as it is fairly difficult to predict the exact affect groudon will have on the meta until the games actually come out.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

P Don goes right through Defensive Yveltal, SD sets can OHKO with Stone Edge, and OHKO with Fire Punch after SR. If P Don predicts the Yveltal switch in, Yveltal dies before it can even attack since it is 2HKOed by unboosted Stone Edge. Lugia can loose to SD Stone Edge P Don too if SR is up and defensive sets can slap it with Toxic and laugh. Mega Gyarados can kinda check P Don, but even -1 P Don outspends and deals 75% minimum to Gyarados with Edge.

Jolly P Don is master race of P Don in this fast offensive meta.

Mega Gyarados is not a check because Mold Breaker does not bypass Desolate Land.
who says anything about Mold Breaker?

P Don goes right through Defensive Yveltal, SD sets can OHKO with Stone Edge, and OHKO with Fire Punch after SR. If P Don predicts the Yveltal switch in, Yveltal dies before it can even attack since it is 2HKOed by unboosted Stone Edge. Lugia can loose to SD Stone Edge P Don too if SR is up and defensive sets can slap it with Toxic and laugh. Mega Gyarados can kinda check P Don, but even -1 P Don outspends and deals 75% minimum to Gyarados with Edge.

Jolly P Don is master race of P Don in this fast offensive meta.
You say you want P Don to 2hko Defensive Yveltal without SR, yet you said that Jolly is better nature.

You say you want P Don to ohko it with fire punch at +2 and SR, yet you said that Jolly is better.

You say you want to beat lugia, yet you said that Jolly is better.

Last edited:
That is part of the problem though, P-Groudon could be too unpredictable, with all the possible sets. While you can scout for his moveset, a seasoned opponent will make use of this, and could predict that. So while the opponent scouts, groudon can still put in a lot of work. This does limit team building to an extent, as when building a team, one would have to account for most of groudon's sets so as to not lose to one of them, a mark of how centralizing it will likely be. And the fact that one would have to deliberately add a pokemon that specifically deals with groudon shows just how much it will probably limit team builidng.

Stress on the word probably though, as it is fairly difficult to predict the exact affect groudon will have on the meta until the games actually come out.
Use Ditto. It's also nice against Mega-Rayquaza, Mega-Mence, weakened Xerneas, weakened Arceus-normal, etc...
Because almost all of them have no power boost from their item, it means you'll be just as strong as them, but faster. And most of them have spammable moves.
Moreover, it needs no support, which mean you can easily add it to any team with no opportunity cost.

Edit : One question, when there's two Pokémon out with Fairy Aura, does the effect cumulate ?

Last edited:
Primal Groudon just feels like Game Freak's attempt to make a Pokemon as grossly overpowered as possible. Give it just two weaknesses because of Fire/Ground typing, neuter its worst weakness in Water, make it immune to Thunder Wave and Will-o-wisp, give it stats that blow through the ceiling and every coverage/boosting move that it could dream of having, and bypass the Mega Evolution cost.

Does anything counter Primal Groudon? In fact, does anything that's relevant in Ubers even check this thing?
Surf Mega Rayquaza is probably the closest thing to a counter, but then again Groudon gets Dragon Claw...

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Since this is a Mega Evos thread of ORAS, I'll like to tell my opinions;

Mega Evos I am excited the most about;
  • Mega Swampert (Swampert is my favourite Water Pokémon but his Mega is like dude, he got some serious lift trainings!)
  • Mega Sceptile (His tail serving as a projectile is somewhat interesting, and finally found a way to gets his effectiveness back to his debut)
  • Mega Steelix (Yeah, not perfect for competitions but he looks more beastly than even Mega Swampert in my opinion, after Mega Ray that is)
  • Primal Groudon (His design needs more efforts but Groudon's new potentials are literally groundbreaking!)
  • Mega Rayquaza (All I can say is about his cool design, but also his new Ability can turn tide, and can wreck nerves of Rockmons because of that.)
Megas that I'm neutral (or better than neutral) with:
  • Mega Lati@s (That's swell and even cool, but they need to make them more...regonizable.)
  • Mega Sableye (I expected more than red eyes and serving a gem as a shield, but the rest is very good.)
  • Mega Salamence (He should be more designed than looking like a saucer, but the rest can make to go BAM!)
  • Mega Audino (Cool, an Unova Mega...Wait, why Healer instand of something great like Pixeliate? At least she don't go insanely overpowered to a mother kangaroo...I'm talking to you, Mega Kangakhan!)
  • Mega Lopunny (Scrappy can help her but her design...sounds more controversial for me...)
  • Mega Gallade (Yay for being able to rivalize Mega Gardevoir, nay for Ability)
  • Mega Alteria (She got finally some potentials, but her stats should be a bit more defensive.)
  • Mega Slowbro (Truly physical wall which is calamitous for most Fightings, but design is sillier than original)
I'm not too excited or no opinions for the rest.

http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/1d199922720e0cf351b051a20946f21fbf09aaeb.jpg

http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/84bc91529822720e8989fda378cb0a46f31fabeb.jpg

"-本章节所捕获的烈空座不需要MEGA石使可以进行MEGA进化,并已测试可以携带其他道具而不失去MEGA进化"

So if a spotty Google Translation for this image is to be believed, Mega Rayquaza apparently doesn't require a Mega Stone and can use other items without losing the Mega Evolution.

I'm speechless if so.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/1d199922720e0cf351b051a20946f21fbf09aaeb.jpg

http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/84bc91529822720e8989fda378cb0a46f31fabeb.jpg

So if a spotty Google Translation for this image is to be believed, Mega Rayquaza apparently doesn't require a Mega Stone and can use other items without losing the Mega Evolution.

I'm speechless if so.
This is the one time that I'm thankful that Google translate is a crappy translator, because if thats the case then I guarantee that Mega Rayquaza will be the king of Ubers for probably the rest of the generation.

I'm speechless if so.
Where are those pictures from?

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 335-395 (85 - 100.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Also LO E-speed hits just as hard as Silk Scarf STAB E-speed Arceus so good luck revenging this lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)