Other ORAS Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is a balanced core that counters a lot of the top tier threats. Suicune is one of the few pokemon that switches into greninja pretty easily, and can even setup a calm mind on it to so it can take dark pulse easier. Mega Sceptile 4x resists both of Suicune's weaknesses and acts as a switch-in to Thundurus. Zapdos is your mandatory flying resist, which checks mega-Mence and talonflame. Mega Mence can setup on suicune and talonflame revenges sceptile, so zapdos is a perfect fit for those two. This core can have trouble with mega venasuar but I've seen 0 so far, so be sure to prepare for it with a seperate team member if you're really paranoid. Adding a special wall like clefable works pretty well with this core too. So yeah, p cool core cuz sceptile wrecks offensive teams and suicune wrecks defensive teams. It's also really colorful ^_^

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Defog / Toxic

(I just gave zapdos a leftovers number then put the rest in speed if you were curious.)
Grass knot is still a good option on ninja, and
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 322-382 (79.7 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

the core i use in the team in my sig. gets glalie in on pivot switches, has SR, and has a cleaner. the lando-t spread is jukains(avoids OHKO from manec HP ice). this core wears down/sets up on threats to glalie(think rotom-w, bulky waters in general) and lets glalie pick off/demolish weakened threats with its refrigerate boosted STAB of choice or ice shard, respectively. glalie fucks over bulky grass types that plague the double-doge voltturn core, and ice shard can pick off stuff like salamence/mega aero/etc. get a defogger, water, and steel and ur ready to fuck shit sideways.
Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Double-Edge/Return
- Explosion/Facade
- Earthquake

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Raikou @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Calm Mind
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last edited:
cool cool. will try to update some stuff tonight but am hella tired so if i miss something please don't pm me if you don't see yours in the op.

+
(sorry for sprites lol)

Sharpedo @ Sharpedite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Brave Bird

I have been using these two together and its been working perfectly(on a nice win streak), I am sure there could be an addition to this core to make a nice fwg, but I dont really need one. Stallbreaking talonflame is perfect for things that can take a hit from sharpedo, because they are usually stall mons, like chansey. It also helps with conkeldurr which is an issue for sharpedo. The main idea behind this core is get up hazards, and then surprise/widdle down the enemy team with talons willo, and that shuffles mons around softening them up for a sweep. you may think rotom-w is a huge problem but sharpedo can do about 50% and tflame can usually get rotom-w down to that range by willo/roost stalling. I think the biggest problems are fast electric types like scarf magnezone, or bulky waters like azumaril, if you just dedicate the rest of the team to dealing with the few mons that these two cant, I think your team will be solid and its really fun to play with!

Why isn't this listed anywhere yet? Because it's too obvious? But it's also a basically perfect and usueable core with any other 3 pokemon

+
+

The rotom set is the one pokeaim showed on youtube, it always breaks 252/4 salamence subs.

Lando is standard scarf

Greninja is from this post: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/greninja.3489907/page-60#post-5844902

Two ground immunities, one electric immunity, two water fire ice resists, and one psychic immunity.

Just add 3 logical useful pokemon and voltturn into them.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
edit disclaimer: use any greninja you want but that's the best u-turn one

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

This is a balanced core that counters a lot of the top tier threats. Suicune is one of the few pokemon that switches into greninja pretty easily, and can even setup a calm mind on it to so it can take dark pulse easier. Mega Sceptile 4x resists both of Suicune's weaknesses and acts as a switch-in to Thundurus. Zapdos is your mandatory flying resist, which checks mega-Mence and talonflame. Mega Mence can setup on suicune and talonflame revenges sceptile, so zapdos is a perfect fit for those two. This core can have trouble with mega venasuar but I've seen 0 so far, so be sure to prepare for it with a seperate team member if you're really paranoid. Adding a special wall like clefable works pretty well with this core too. So yeah, p cool core cuz sceptile wrecks offensive teams and suicune wrecks defensive teams. It's also really colorful ^_^

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Defog / Toxic

(I just gave zapdos a leftovers number then put the rest in speed if you were curious.)
just a minor nitpick but 252 HP EVs on zappy hits a leftovers number

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
+

Okay, becuase I've been laddering some with different teams, just to get a better hunch of the metagame, I've discovered a core I really really like. Mega Gallade is, in my opinion, one of the best mega evoltions out there. Good Speed tier, great Attack, access to Swords Dance, and decent movepool. It has a few answer though, such as defensive Landorus-T, Mega Sableye, Defensive Unaware Clefable and Mega Slowbro. SD LO Diggersby not only takes on these Pokemon, but also draws them in, which is why the core works out so well. Gallade also draws in Skarmory, which really troubles Diggersby. All in all, the two if them kind of function like Dragon Spam did in BW, they draw in each others "counters", and proceed to wear them down. Sadly though, the core lacks Speed, which really hurts, and cannot really touch Mega Salamence, if not running Ice Punch on Gallade. Thus, some good teammates are "reliable" answer to faster threats, such as the aforementioned Mega Salamence, but also Greninja, Mega Lopunny, Mega Pidgeot, and Scarf Landorus-T. Rotom-W excels at the rle of taking these on, as it checks everything decently enough. Oh, and, this destroys Stall too n_n
Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Knock Off / Shadow Sneak / Ice Punch

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

+

This is a really straightforward core but with some interesting sets. We have Mega Gallade with Taunt + Wisp, which allows it to take on stuff like Mew and Rotom-W without getting crippled in the process (don't burn Mew obviously, that's why you have Knock Off). It also cripples Azumarill that wants to come in, even though Zen Headbutt/Poison Jab would 2HKO it easily; I just prefer clicking W-o-W as it requires much less prediction. Also nobody is going to switch in Heatran so you're pretty much guaranteed to burn something. Aside from that, Close Combat to your hearts content and watch how even Skarmory gets 2HKO'd.

Then we have T-Tar with Counter which works great with all the scarfed Landorus-T around: if they EQ they have a dead Landorus-T (allowing Mega Gallade to sweep), if they U-turn something else takes a lot of damage. On top of that, T-Tar traps Talonflame with Pursuit and sets up SR to pressure it before it comes in. With everybody using Latios as their Defogger nowadays T-Tar has once again become the most reliable SR setter in my opinion. I use Chople Berry personally so I can live Superpower from Azumarill and Landorus-T and also take on Mega Sceptile better.

Just make sure to pack a counter to Mega Audino among other Fairy-types.

Importable:
Gallade (M)@ Galladite
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Counter
- Pursuit

This is an anti-meta core based around taking out some of the top threats in the tier at the moment.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
EVs: 244 Atk / 48 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Mega Aerodactyl is probably the best MegaMence check in the tier, surviving a +1 Return and KO'ing with Ice Fang. It also beats Keldeo, MegaTile and Gallade with Aerial Ace, does a lot of damage to Latios, MegaGross and Mew with Crunch. It helps against BirdSpam too. Mega Aerodactyl is a fantastic anti-meta pokemon at the moment.

Empoleon is a reliable defogger and SR setter, and more importantly checks most Greninja's. It can beat some Azumarill's too, but not reliably. Latios and Mega Diancie have some issues getting past Empoleon, too.

Chandelure finishes off the core. With scarf + jolly it outspeeds everything up to Beedrill, who outspeeds by one point. Shadow Ball off 389 Sp.Atk boosted by STAB checks MegaGallade, MegaGross, MegaBro and generally has fantastic neutral coverage. Fire Blast destroys Ferrothorn who otherwise gives the core problems.

As support for the core goes, a grass type gives you a FWG core as well as a good check to Azumarill who can cause a problem. Breloom would be my choice, checking Bisharp too and adding priority to the core.

This is an anti-meta core based around taking out some of the top threats in the tier at the moment.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
EVs: 244 Atk / 48 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Mega Aerodactyl is probably the best MegaMence check in the tier, surviving a +1 Return and KO'ing with Ice Fang. It also beats Keldeo, MegaTile and Gallade with Aerial Ace, does a lot of damage to Latios, MegaGross and Mew with Crunch. It helps against BirdSpam too. Mega Aerodactyl is a fantastic anti-meta pokemon at the moment.

Empoleon is a reliable defogger and SR setter, and more importantly checks most Greninja's. It can beat some Azumarill's too, but not reliably. Latios and Mega Diancie have some issues getting past Empoleon, too.

Chandelure finishes off the core. With scarf + jolly it outspeeds everything up to Beedrill, who outspeeds by one point. Shadow Ball off 389 Sp.Atk boosted by STAB checks MegaGallade, MegaGross, MegaBro and generally has fantastic neutral coverage. Fire Blast destroys Ferrothorn who otherwise gives the core problems.

As support for the core goes, a grass type gives you a FWG core as well as a good check to Azumarill who can cause a problem. Breloom would be my choice, checking Bisharp too and adding priority to the core.
Why Aerial Ace over something else like Taunt? Is it strictly a revenge killer/bird checker?

naturalstupidity

formerly The Imposter
Why Aerial Ace over something else like Taunt? Is it strictly a revenge killer/bird checker?
Mega Aerodactyl is strictly an anti-offense Pokemon these days, thanks to stall having ways around Taunt+Roost Mega Aero. Aerial Ace is necessary to hit Mega Gallade and Mega Lopunny hard, both of which are great offensive threats. Considering that the core is meant to be an anti-meta core and the meta is offensive right now, there's little reason to run Taunt.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
AA is essential for Aero to take out Sceptile, Lopunny and Beedrill without relying on Stone Miss. It's also Aero's most spammable move.

That said, Aero is pretty easy to wear down, so I've always preferred 3 attacks + Roost. Otherwise rocks alone will keep you from consistently checking what you need to check, and you won't be able to reliably take on birdspam.

Just kinda tossing ideas around:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 68 Atk / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Rash Nature
- Rock Polish
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Gyarados can come in on Steel or Water type moves, and Earthquake for Diancie. With Tauntrados you can usually shut down some annoying walls, prevent hazards, and for people who aren't expecting it can even give you the option to set-up and sweep.

Thanks to Karxrida for the EV spread for Diancie and for running some damage calcs! The Speed EVs+Rash nature allow for Mega Diancie to outspeed a Sand Rush Excadrill after Rock Polish with a 93.8% to OHKO with Earth Power.

Also thanks to Rosen's suggestion that Magnezone rounded out the core. This iteration of Magnezone is meant to deal with Sand Rush Excadrill. It also handles Scizor, Ferrothorn and Skarmory which could all be annoying for Gyarados and Diancie.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just kinda tossing ideas around, but I thought these two formed a pretty solid offensive core:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Polish
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Gyarados can come in on Steel type moves and Earthquake for Diancie. I think something like a Magnezone would help fill out the core because it can trap Skamory and Ferrothorn. With Tauntrados you can usually shut down some annoying walls, prevent hazards, and for people who aren't expecting it can even give you the option to set-up and sweep.
Mega Diancie doesn't need to run Naive if you're going to use Rock Polish. A Speed Neutral nature with 28 Speed EVs lets you outspeed Scarf Latios after a RP while 108 lets you beat Scarf Greninja.

Just kinda tossing ideas around, but I thought these two formed a pretty solid offensive core:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Polish
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Gyarados can come in on Steel type moves and Earthquake for Diancie. With Tauntrados you can usually shut down some annoying walls, prevent hazards, and for people who aren't expecting it can even give you the option to set-up and sweep.

Not sure where to take it from here. I was thinking maybe a fire type for steel types like Ferrothorn/Skarmory (Or Magnezone). Just thought these two fit together well.
seems like they'd fit well on a team perhaps but the synergy is honestly meh at best. weak to scarf mag, sand rush exca, walled by ferrothorn without enough dd's up, weak to hp electric scarf keldeo, weak to sand before rp, weak to megagross... not really what i'd think of when looking for a core, sorry. they just don't support each other well enough on their own.

Mega Diancie doesn't need to run Naive if you're going to use Rock Polish. A Speed Neutral nature with 28 Speed EVs lets you outspeed Scarf Latios after a RP while 108 lets you beat Scarf Greninja.
So you think it'd be better with something like a Rash nature and the 108 Speed EVS?

Rosen-
Just tossing an idea around. 2 Pokemon are never going to be able to handle all the meta. Just thought Gyarados covered Diancie's weaknesses very well. If Diancie gets RP up it can handle Sand Rush Exca, Scarf Mag and Keldeo with Earth Power and Moonblast. That's the point of having 4 more Pokes though.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So you think it'd be better with something like a Rash nature and the 108 Speed EVS?

Rosen-
Just tossing an idea around. 2 Pokemon are never going to be able to handle all the meta. Just thought Gyarados covered Diancie's weaknesses very well. If Diancie gets RP up it can handle Sand Rush Exca, Scarf Mag and Keldeo with Earth Power and Moonblast. That's the point of having 4 more Pokes though.
108 also prevents Sand Rush Excadrill from revenging you while Rash increases your chance to OHKO with Earth Power to 93.8% compared to Naive's 37.5%.

252+ SpA Diancie Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 358-422 (99.1 - 116.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Diancie Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 326-384 (90.3 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

If you're paranoid about Jolly Sand Rush you can run 188 Speed.

108 also prevents Sand Rush Excadrill from revenging you while Rash increases your chance to OHKO with Earth Power to 93.8% compared to Naive's 37.5%.

252+ SpA Diancie Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 358-422 (99.1 - 116.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Diancie Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 326-384 (90.3 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

If you're paranoid about Jolly Sand Rush you can run 188 Speed.
I changed the EVs and Nature in my original post. Thanks for the calcs!

Any ideas for a 3rd mon to round out the core and address Rosen's potential issues with it?

Rosen-
i am aware that no two mons can handle the entire meta, and that's not what i was implying. they really don't have fantastic synergy together, defensively or offensively, on their own. i'm not saying change the core (well you can) so much as saying it's missing something -- it just feels incomplete. you mentioned magnezone might fit well -- you're right, it does. air balloon + magnet rise zone would be a great addition from what i can tell. anyway, point being, it feels incomplete and unpolished atm, so i'd work it on it a bit more.

i am aware that no two mons can handle the entire meta, and that's not what i was implying. they really don't have fantastic synergy together, defensively or offensively, on their own. i'm not saying change the core (well you can) so much as saying it's missing something -- it just feels incomplete. you mentioned magnezone might fit well -- you're right, it does. air balloon + magnet rise zone would be a great addition from what i can tell. anyway, point being, it feels incomplete and unpolished atm, so i'd work it on it a bit more.
Yeah it's all a bit of a WIP. I might add Magnezone for now until I get the chance to try it out because I think it would be a pretty solid third Poke to round it out. Magnet Rise+Air Balloon sounds like a really neat idea I hadn't even considered.

+
+

This is a core I thought I'd share with you guys. It's by no means perfect, but it's something. Diancie is very weak to steel-types, and while Rotom-W is not a direct counter, it can burn the likes of Scizor and help wear down its checks and counters. Like I said earlier, it's by no means perfect, because they're both grass-weak, so Talonflame is a part of the core to help break them down. It can also pick off a weakened, burned Scizor and even set up Swords Dance on it. I'm not gonna lie, but I decided to go Rock Polish on Diancie because of the core above, so I added the 88 speed to outspeed things. 16 Attack ensures the OHKO on physically defensive Zapdos, and the rest is put into HP to increase its overall bulk.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
EVs: 152 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Talonflame (M) @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

You might be thinking - "wait, where's Magnezone?" I've played over 150 matches using Mega Diancie, and I've found that he isn't all he's hyped up to be. Sure, he traps Steels, but he can't even OHKO Ferrothorn with a 4x super-effective move. Outside of trapping steels, he's too slow to go on to beat remaining team members, and he's too ground-weak to tank hits. Air Balloon isn't an option, because then, he doesn't hit hard enough.

Last edited:
+
(sorry for sprites lol)

Sharpedo @ Sharpedite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Brave Bird

I have been using these two together and its been working perfectly(on a nice win streak), I am sure there could be an addition to this core to make a nice fwg, but I dont really need one. Stallbreaking talonflame is perfect for things that can take a hit from sharpedo, because they are usually stall mons, like chansey. It also helps with conkeldurr which is an issue for sharpedo. The main idea behind this core is get up hazards, and then surprise/widdle down the enemy team with talons willo, and that shuffles mons around softening them up for a sweep. you may think rotom-w is a huge problem but sharpedo can do about 50% and tflame can usually get rotom-w down to that range by willo/roost stalling. I think the biggest problems are fast electric types like scarf magnezone, or bulky waters like azumaril, if you just dedicate the rest of the team to dealing with the few mons that these two cant, I think your team will be solid and its really fun to play with!
Seconding the core Mega Scizor posted because it works so well. Rosen you should really add this to the OP when you have time. Here is a replay of the core in action: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-183128178

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)