Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indirectly related to the new Megas, do you guys think it's worth it to run Jolly/Timid on Zam and Aerodactyl now? All these base 145 and 135 mons would make it seem more useful. I'm just wondering if the power loss is worth it, or if you should just be comfortable with out speeding most of the unboosted meta instead of all of it.
For Mega Aero I don't think it is as with the jolly nature allows it to run a bit more defensive sets, allowing it to do an even better job of checking some key threats as a defensive mon sorta (and Tough Claws helping pick up some of the slack).

Zam though I cant see not running Modest though but that might be due to me not running it in so long. And I haven't exactly seen it with all of the other megas running around to really tell truth be told.

Wow, that is eerily similar to a team I made about a week ago. I just had Ferro with some SpDef investment over Clefable. Same purpose though, Rocks and TWave.

Nicholas Cage (Beedrill) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Protect
- Knock Off

Wicked Bird (Talonflame) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Flare Blitz

Bad Luck (Mandibuzz) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt

Car Care (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Your Turn (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

It's a trap! (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

This is my version :) Seem that if you want to use Rotom-W and Magnezone is a must.

IMO, Beedrill do better than I expect... I'm even think that protect might not be require as it force most fairy out. I will test the protect less beedrill later as it require both Knock-off (to get pass gengar) and drill run for the steel.

I agree with what a couple of posts have been said. I don't have experience in using Mega Swamp or Mega Scept, but I have a lot of experience facing them. Without rain, Mega Sceptile outclasses Mega Swampert. And contrary to popular belief, Mega Sceptile outclasses Mega Swampert even in rain, Mega Scept's immunity to Electric (with a SpA boost), amazing speed, amazing typing (for rain offense) and ability to counter/check Water-types and Dragon-types is just fantastic on rain teams. Rain teams can lure electric types like light lures bugs, but only to get bopped by a +1 Mega Sceptile next turn (if mega evolved).

I can definitely see Mega Scept in OU.

Besides that, has anyone used or seen an SD Mega Sceptile being used efficiently? Cuz on paper it looks really nice with SD and immunity to T-wave with stronk Outrage and Leaf Blade.

I agree with what a couple of posts have been said. I don't have experience in using Mega Swamp or Mega Scept, but I have a lot of experience facing them. Without rain, Mega Sceptile outclasses Mega Swampert. And contrary to popular belief, Mega Sceptile outclasses Mega Swampert even in rain, Mega Scept's immunity to Electric (with a SpA boost), amazing speed, amazing typing (for rain offense) and ability to counter/check Water-types and Dragon-types is just fantastic on rain teams. Rain teams can lure electric types like light lures bugs, but only to get bopped by a +1 Mega Sceptile next turn (if mega evolved).

I can definitely see Mega Scept in OU.

Besides that, has anyone used or seen an SD Mega Sceptile being used efficiently? Cuz on paper it looks really nice with SD and immunity to T-wave with stronk Outrage and Leaf Blade.
I wouldn't say that Mega Sceptile directly outclasses Mega Swampert. While Mega Sceptile may be better on Rain teams, it's not competing for the same role as Swampert. Sceptile is competing for a spot on Rain teams with other Grass types who primarily take Water and Electric type hits (ex. Ferro or a Volt Absorber), while Mega Swampert competes with other SSers. They really don't share any similar STAB, similar roles, or are even attack from the same side of the physical-special spectrum. The only thing they share is the Mega slot, which really isn't outclassing, more competing for opportunity cost.

Mega Glalie is being overlooked by you guys. In this new metagame, we have a few things. You are either facing a team with one super fast Mega like Aero, Beedrill, Lopunny, Salamence, Metagross, or Diancie and then 3 slow 'mons to support X fast mega or you are facing a slow mega on a bulky team. On both archetypes, Mega Glalie has huge ease setting Spikes + SPAMming ridiculously powerful Double-Edge (or Return but I like more power). Bisharp is like the only reason why you would use this thing because Spikes forces your opponent to switch in to a Defog user like Latios , or force in Keldeo, Terrakion, or speedy Rotom-W to take an ice stab or gets spikes, all which check Bisharp well. With these weakened, you can go out with a bang which should take out something like Skarmory (another phaze crap and loses which results in stall doom) and it is clean. Overall, Mega Glalie puts immense pressure on the team and you don't know what it will do so the opportunity cost your opponent will play is harsh. I played against it 6 times and each time it was paired with Bisharp which caused a sweep or my team to take spikes damage all over the place not to mention how good spikes is with u turn and how much the ORAS metagame switches. It is a solid af mon tbh. Just wait till it gets Freeze Dry.

Mega Diancie is really great and can be to revenge kill when it gets defense boosts from diamond storm so it can safely 2hko crap while tanking hits. It is my favorite mega right. mega Metagross is simply ridiculous and is hard to RK and it takes out so many mons easily with its coverage and meteor mash attack boosts here and there make it even more threatening. BirdSPAM is harder to pull off with it too, but it BirdSPAM got so much better with Mence and all the new megas being weak to it. Mega Aero is really good ATM because it is literally the nightmare / end of offense. Having a reliable scarf user is more important and it can be a liability with knock off move tutors now, so your lando-t coming on Diggersby to get knock offed item means you don't have a mega lop or scep check wutev which makes it ten times more threatening. This metagame is super fun.

Quite a few other fairies can run the exact same set to get similar results, and while Audino may be more bulky, those other fairies like Sylveon or Florges have lefties, Moonblast, a fighting resist, and don't take up the one Mega slot you have.
I guess but sylveon and florges have like no physical bulk so I'll stick with audino thanks for the feedback and I've decided to use the CM set

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I guess but sylveon and florges have like no physical bulk so I'll stick with audino thanks for the feedback and I've decided to use the CM set
I'm going to be blunt here.

Your set is really shit. Like really, REALLY shit.

Draining Kiss is very weak even when boosted (it can't OHKO Weavile after Rocks when you're +1) and the healing effect is not worth the power drop from Dazzling Gleam. This combined with your overall passive-ness makes setting up difficult when tons of things like freaking Gengar get free switches on you and can 2HKO you through a SpD boost while you do shit back.

+1 0 SpA Audino Hidden Power Dark vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Weavile: 152-182 (54 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 0 SpA Audino Hidden Power Dark vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 51-60 (19.5 - 22.9%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Audino: 221-265 (53.9 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(Draining Kiss isn't on the calc btw so I had to use another move)

Even at +6 you barely have a chance to OHKO already frail neutral targets like Bisharp (who threatens you immensely).

+6 0 SpA Audino Hidden Power Dark vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 240-283 (88.2 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 170-204 (41.4 - 49.7%) -- 82% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Mega Audino has no recovery outside of WishTect, but your set switches out Protect for Heal Bell. This gimps your setup ability even further since you cannot keep yourself healthy. Draining Kiss is too weak before boosts to provide the recovery you need desperately since you'll usually be going last each turn and have to take hits beforehand.

And this isn't even getting into stuff like of Ferrothorn (hint: you lose because lol Iron Barbs).

Last edited:
so i've been using Jukain 's camel spread and its amazin. the power is really high. it also has the offensive+defensive typing to make use of those delicious SF stabs. and this is topped off by the fact that you have 2 extra moveslots to use! could be sub, could be wisp, might even be yawn or roar. but i have to ask jukain(thats why i tagged) what is the optimal amount of speed creep?

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally I usually prefer just running 4 Speed since you kinda want all the bulk you can get to take on Thundurus and Bisharp and stuff better. 84 Speed does let you outspeed Slowbro thoughwhich is pretty significant, so if you decide to run any amount of speed run that. Or you can be weird like me and run 48 Speed to outspeed paralyzed base 110s (only relevant if backed up with TWave support of course)

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So, dang, Mega-Latias. That thing is seriously no joke once it gets going. I just played against one, and my LO Excadrill did ~35% with Iron Head. If I hadn't gotten a timely flinch, I would have had some serious trouble breaking it. I have yet to see a Mega-Latios that I thought was significantly better than LO Latios, but MLatias can definitely be pretty scary.

Not sure what new Mega I'll play around with next. I've had a good time playing around with MixMence, but I think I've gotten enough of a feel for it that I'm ready to move on. I was thinking of giving MDiancie a whirl, but I haven't really come up with anything I've been happy with. I might put together an MSableye team, or try out the one Rosen posted.

So, dang, Mega-Latias. That thing is seriously no joke once it gets going. I just played against one, and my LO Excadrill did ~35% with Iron Head. If I hadn't gotten a timely flinch, I would have had some serious trouble breaking it. I have yet to see a Mega-Latios that I thought was significantly better than LO Latios, but MLatias can definitely be pretty scary.
Yeah Mega Latias is stupid bulky. I've really been liking using Calm Mind with Sand, since Mega Jet kinda fucks up Balance and Driller is great v Offense. I think it will get a lot better once the meta slows down abit (i.e. balance/stall become a bit more popular), since it can actually set up on quite a few mons. Still not sure on the exact spread for it, but I've been using this set:

Latias @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock / Hidden Power [Fighting]

Last edited:

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
the cool thing when it comes to mega swampert is that it doesn't need to be on a rain team at all. with 100/110/110 defenses it's setting up it's own rain with ease and is easely supported by pokemon like heal wish latias and pokemon like gothitelle. mega swampert is by far underwhelming and i have to say it's really good, ive been surprised how easely it sets up and just cleans as it can take hits easy, and will usually have an easier time vs bulkier mons because it can actually tank hits and break through with it's good base 150 atk and superb defenses. it also has excellent coverage and great dual stabs, and tbh i think mega swampert will work best outside off rain just because it doesn't need to rely on pokemon like politoed, this automatically gives ur team a free slot which is huge.

the cool thing when it comes to mega swampert is that it doesn't need to be on a rain team at all. with 100/110/110 defenses it's setting up it's own rain with ease and is easely supported by pokemon like heal wish latias and pokemon like gothitelle. mega swampert is by far underwhelming and i have to say it's really good, ive been surprised how easely it sets up and just cleans as it can take hits easy, and will usually have an easier time vs bulkier mons because it can actually tank hits and break through with it's good base 150 atk and superb defenses. it also has excellent coverage and great dual stabs, and tbh i think mega swampert will work best outside off rain just because it doesn't need to rely on pokemon like politoed, this automatically gives ur team a free slot which is huge.
I agree for the most part but I wouldn't say it works better outside of rain because it can afford to run 4 attacking moves and doesn't need to waste a turn setting up rain dance. That being said I'm really liking Mega Swampert a lot, probably my favorite Mega right now.

Ok I have had a play with quite a few of the new ORAS megas and wanted to give my thoughts about the ones I have used.

Sableye is a horrible troll on your opponent's team and can be a win condition if they are too slow to deal with it. Prankster burn and recover makes its base form hard to break by its own right. I found the best strategy is to burn and then switch between healing and calm minding. Once you are happy with the boosts and are healthy go Mega and start sweeping. Its best to not go Mega straight away (unless you need magic bounce desperately!) otherwise that slow speed could be the death of Sableye. Oh and it also hard counters baton pass teams which makes me very happy :-) http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-orasou-177643789

Salamence is just overwhelming. It can 6-0 teams with ease and it is so hard to stop it set up. Its the best OU pokemon without question and unless you have at least 2 checks (no counters cause its so versatile. And most of its checks are dependent on the moves Mence is using) and use them perfectly you are going to lose.

Slowbro can be just as dangerous as Mence if it can set up, fortunately its special defense is vulnerable until it has 3 calm mind boosts so powerful attacks such as Mega Sceptile's leaf storm can effectively OHKO even at +2. I am experimenting with a calm mind, amnesia, scald, rest set right now. The tactic is using amnesia to quickly boost that sdef until you can't be touched and then slowly calm mind until you sweep. No rest talk is a issue though so set up sweepers can give it problems. But as a end game winner it really excels.

Beedrill is ok. Its very dangerous when it evolves but it has serious 4MSS. I know protect is the common move these days but really I prefer not using it and U-turning on a slow mon instead. I don't think he will be a high OU mon, but its power once given the right support (i.e. no rocks on the field) is serious.

Metagross is not as good in practice as it is on paper. It hits hard but just not hard enough to get a clean KO. It has great bulk but lack of recovery means it still gets quickly worn down. Its a solid OU mon but I can't see it being top tier OU either. I have never done a full sweep with it nor has anyone ever done that to me. Swampert is in a similar boat although it does fair bit better than Metagross. It can 6-0 your team, although it needs to have someone else set the rain for you and to be in Mega form once it comes in. Until those conditions are met it can be crippled or lose enough hp so that it can't do its sweeping job. Its best left to the end of the game where your opposing team is not at full hp and your have already Mega evolved (but preserved its health). Under those conditions its a game winner.

Gallade is a monster and IMO the next best Mega after Mence. After one SD it has enough power and speed to crush most things and unlike Metagross its can hit most things for neutral damage. Lopunny is also a great physical attacker that can 6-0 if given the chance to abuse power-up-punch. Most of the time however its a hit and runner and has enough power to punch big holes in their team until it can sweep. Gallade and Lop are the dark horses of the new Megas, once the dust settles and the OU metagame is balanced these 2 Megas will probably be sitting somewhere in the A-S viability range. They are really good.

Sceptile is a bit like Mega Skywalker. You have no idea if its physical or special (both are viable) and it has plenty of speed and power. While it hits no where as near hard as Luke and has no priority its much faster and can't be crippled by thunder wave. It will be a solid OU choice.

I need to give the other Megas a go before passing judgement but all the ones listed here should be OU (and some might be higher...).

Sceptile is a bit like Mega Skywalker. You have no idea if its physical or special (both are viable) and it has plenty of speed and power. While it hits no where as near hard as Luke and has no priority its much faster and can't be crippled by thunder wave. It will be a solid OU choice.
fully physical Mega Scept is very bad, honestly. It's VERY weak even at +2. The speed is amazing for cleaning up but its commonly recognized as "usable" attack stat is only usable in the sense that it is viable to ru Eartquake to hit Heatran 4 times SE. Mega Sceptile's physical attack is extremely subpar for physical sweepers, especially with no LO, Ebelt, or other such power increasing ability/item.

fully physical Mega Scept is very bad, honestly. It's VERY weak even at +2. The speed is amazing for cleaning up but its commonly recognized as "usable" is only usable in the sense that it is viable to ru Eartquake to hit Heatran 4 times SE. Mega Sceptile's physical attack is extremely subpar for physical sweepers, especially with no LO, Ebelt, or other such power increasing ability/item.
After SD it has higher physical attack than Char X.
Dragon Claw 80 BP on Sceptile after SD turns into 240 BP
Dragon Claw on Char X after DD turns into 234 BP

Where are the maths, cuz I am not seeing physical scpetile being a bad choice at all....

Where are the maths, cuz I am not seeing physical scpetile being a bad choice at all....
Lmao ZardX has a 20 higher BP attack stat, Outrage, Flare Blitz, AND Tough Claws. Mega Charizard X's power makes physical Mega Sceptile look like a Metapod.

Karxrida

That's not true because Tough Claws + Adamant.
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 285-336 (70.5 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 232-274 (57.4 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Sceptile has to run a +Speed nature so it can outpace Base 108s and higher before Mega Evolving and Mega Manectric afterward, while Zard X can run Adamant because its has Dragon Dance.

Last edited:
Lmao ZardX has a 20 higher BP attack stat, Outrage, Flare Blitz, AND Tough Claws. Mega Charizard X's power makes physical Mega Sceptile look like a Metapod.
Okay, but Sceptile also has Outrage, and after a boost on a physical set its stats are higher than Char X after a boost.
I literally just did the maths for you but here:
+2 252+ Atk Sceptile Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 408-480 (122.8 - 144.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 456-536 (137.3 - 161.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That's not true because Tough Claws + Adamant.
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 285-336 (70.5 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 232-274 (57.4 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Right, sure, Tough Claws is a thing, but how does that make physical Sceptile a bad choice?

Karxrida

Okay, but Sceptile also has Outrage, and after a boost on a physical set its stats are higher than Char X after a boost.
I literally just did the maths for you but here:
+2 252+ Atk Sceptile Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 408-480 (122.8 - 144.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 456-536 (137.3 - 161.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Right, sure, Tough Claws is a thing, but how does that make physical Sceptile a bad choice?
Sceptile's secondary STAB is not strong enough to compensate for its "meh" attack like with Hawlucha's High Jump Kick and has poor coverage on top of that. Being able to SD sweep without fearing Thundurus's Thunder Wave is pretty good on paper but not as good in practice.

Sceptile actually has Outrage via Tutors.

Sceptile's secondary STAB is not strong enough to compensate for its "meh" attack like with Hawlucha's High Jump Kick and has poor coverage on top of that. Being able to SD sweep without fearing Thundurus's Thunder Wave is pretty good on paper but not as good in practice.

Sceptile actually has Outrage via Tutors.
Grass is an okay secondary STAB, but it has a fantastic physical move pool to dip into even if you didn't wanna run it that way. X Scissor, EQ, and Low Kick are on the short list of options. I think it also gets Knock Off.
It's not Wood Hammer, but it doesn't need to be. It can also run mixed very well, using Leaf Storm in place of the grass physical STAB to hit things like Swamperts, Slowbros, and other bulky water types that are weak on the special side.

Grass is an okay secondary STAB, but it has a fantastic physical move pool to dip into even if you didn't wanna run it that way. X Scissor, EQ, and Low Kick are on the short list of options. I think it also gets Knock Off.
It's not Wood Hammer, but it doesn't need to be. It can also run mixed very well, using Leaf Storm in place of the grass physical STAB to hit things like Swamperts, Slowbros, and other bulky water types that are weak on the special side.
Posted a Sceptile set I'm loving a few pages back that runs a set of that very nature. Leaf storm still remains a fantastic nuke that takes advantage of lightning rod, and swords dance outrage is fantastic for late game clearing. Low kick is great for coverage and much better than the unreliable focus blast, which i would never want to chance on something as frail as mega scept (and avoid on anything I can when not mandatory coverage). Outrage has impressive cleaning power after a boost and low kick allows it to fare well against things like Chansey which often thinks it's a hard stop to mega sceptile. Dragon pulse is missed sometimes because it doesn't lock you in but outrage doesn't suffer the -2 LS drop so it works as a late cleaner as opposed to the standard hit and run nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)