Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.
The capacity for revenge killing is not heavily in Scarfed Mamoswine's favor. Even with Jolly Nature, it loses to so many common OU threats such as +1 Mega Gyarados, Scarfed Keldeo, Greninja, Mega Metagross, Scarfed Landorus-T, etc. Mamoswine is much better off utilizing its Sash variant or even the Life Orb variant

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
The capacity for revenge killing is not heavily in Scarfed Mamoswine's favor. Even with Jolly Nature, it loses to so many common OU threats such as +1 Mega Gyarados, Scarfed Keldeo, Greninja, Mega Metagross, Scarfed Landorus-T, etc. Mamoswine is much better off utilizing its Sash variant or even the Life Orb variant
That's fine. :/

Is there anything that can be changed in this set to make it significantly more viable?

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Role: Rapid Spinner, Late-game Cleaner, Revenge Killer

What It Does: A Rapid Spinner, a revenge killer and a fantastic offensive check are all accurate descriptions of Excadrill's capabilities as a Pokemon. When equipped with Choice Scarf, Excadrill can clean late game with its strong 135 base Attack stat and offers itself as a great check to some of OU's top offensive threats such as Thundurus-I and Talonflame. Earthquake is Excadrill's strongest STAB move that is capable of even hitting Pokemon with the Levitate ability thanks to Mold Breaker. Mold Breaker also gives Excadrill the benefit of being able to hit through abilities such as Filter and Solid Rock (as uncommon as they are). Iron Head is Excadrill's secondary STAB and aims to smash Fairy-type Pokemon specifically, such as 252/252+ Clefable. Iron Head's 30% flinch rate is also usable thanks to the speed that Excadrill gains from holding Choice Scarf. Rock Slide gives Excadrill the infamous "EdgeQuake" combination and offers it the ability to KO Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona, etc. Rapid Spin works deceptively well on Excadrill, allowing it spin away all hazards when it desperately needs to.

Good Teammates: Any Pokemon that appreciates the removal of Stealth Rock such as Charizard and Beedrill work well with Excadrill. Gyarados comes to mind as an effective teammate because Excadrill spins away hazards, checks Gyarados' checks and can potentially clean after Gyarados is done sweeping.

What Counters It: Physically defensive Pokemon such as Skarmory and Hippowdon fear nothing from Excadrill and can do as they please. Depending on what move Excadrill locks itself into, certain Pokemon may be able to utilize Excadrill as set-up fodder (i.e Dragonite on Excadrill's Earthquake)

Any Additional Info: Flinch haxing with Scarfed Excadrill is never shameful~

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Reserving stallbreaker mew
Sorry for the delay ;S

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off

Role: Stallbreaker

What it does: Mew does an excellent job of crippling common defensive Pokemon and cores with the combination of Taunt, which prevent status moves, entry hazards, and healing, Will-O-Wisp to rack up residual damage, and Knock Off to remove their item. Soft Boiled provides a reliable for of recovery to allow Mew to tank repeated hits from Special Attackers such as Keldeo, Latios, and Landorus. Mew can singlehandedly defeat common defensive cores with Pokemon such as Chansey, Skarmory, Mega Venusaur, and others. The Speed EVs allow Mew to outspeed Jolly Mega Tyranitar and Bisharp, but more Speed can be used if necessary.

Good teammates: As a stallbreaker with reliable recovery, Mew is generally self sufficient and doesnt need that much team support. However, Mew gets quickly worn down by entry hazards, particularly Spikes, so having a Defog user such as Latias is very helpful. Fairy-types such as Azumarill and Clefable are helpful to Absorb Dark- and Bug-type attacks aimed at Mew. Bulky mega Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur are helpful to absorb Knock Offs, which greatly cripple Mew by removing its Leftovers.

What counters it: Strong special attackers, particularly those that do not mind being Taunted, are solid answers to Mew. Mega Charizard Y, Gengar, and Mega Sceptile are good examples. Faster Taunt users such as Mega Gardeovoir and Gengar prevent Mew from using any moves except for Knock Off.

Additional information: Since Mew has access to almost every single move in the game, it can run a plethora of coverage moves such as Thunderbolt, Aura Sphere, Ice Beam, Fire Blast, Giga Drain, and many others.

Edit: Reserving Specially defensive Gliscor

Last edited:
That's fine. :/

Is there anything that can be changed in this set to make it significantly more viable?
Just to add to what's already been said, I find it redundant to have a Scarf on a potential priority user, especially one that is weak to Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet, both of which are abused by Mons whom are resistant to Ice Shard. In addition, while Ice-Ground is amazing coverage, both types are generally dangerous types to be locked into since there are plenty of Mons who are resistant or immune to Ice or Ground individually. This set may have been successful for you, but given that this thread is designed for newer players, I'd rather stick to standard, more reliable sets as opposed to ones that rely heavily on simply being unexpected. As far as improving the set, the best way would just be to swap scarf with Life Orb and include Ice Shard. That being said, AM has already called Life Orb Attacker Mamoswine, which is arguably fundamentally different than what you wrote up and more reliable, so unless he wants to give up his reservation I'd rather let him do a write up for LO Mamoswine.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
As long as all the relevant information is there I don't mind letting boxofkangaroos write up Life Orb Mamoswine. I'll help out if necessary with that if he would like as he writes it up as well.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
As long as all the relevant information is there I don't mind letting boxofkangaroos write up Life Orb Mamoswine. I'll help out if necessary with that if he would like as he writes it up as well.
I've never used Life Orb Mamoswine before, so go nuts. :)

Reactions: AM

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Thunder Punch
- Superpower

Role: Wallbreaker, Physical Sweeper, Late-game Cleaner

What It Does: Choice Banded Dragonite dismantles defensive cores during the battle and can clean up after itself with Extreme Speed. Besides Fairy-type Pokemon and a select number of Steel Type Pokemon, not many can comfortably take a STAB Outrage from Dragonite due to the sheer power behind the move. As previously mentioned, Extreme Speed can clean up late game and even revenge kill weakened Pokemon. Thunder Punch is used to hit Azumarill and Skarmory for super-effective damage, two very common switch-ins for Dragonite. Superpower hits Steel and Dark type Pokemon for super-effective damage as well, at the cost of lowering its Attack and Defense by one stage after every use.

Good Teammates: Stealth Rock and Multiscale don't work too well together so Rapid Spin Excadrill and Defog Lati@s work well as partners for Dragonite. Magnezone works well as it creates the classic "DragMag" core that's proven to work well over and over again. Pokemon that can lay down hazards such as Landorus-T make good partners as Stealth Rock damage can make or break maybe important KOs for Banded Dragonite

What Counters It: Clefable can come in with ease and Moonblast Dragonite while Mega Slowbro doesn't care about any of Dragonite's moves and can simply retaliate with a powerful Ice Beam. Bulky Swords Dance variants of Mega Scizor can roost off any damage given by Banded Dragonite and proceed to setup on Dragonite.

Any Additional Info: This cannot be emphasized enough ; if you see that Banded Extreme Speed is a very real win condition for your team, keep Dragonite around until the end!

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Thunder Punch
- Superpower

Role: Wallbreaker, Physical Sweeper, Late-game Cleaner

What It Does: Choice Banded Dragonite dismantles defensive cores during the battle and can clean up after itself with Extreme Speed. Besides Fairy-type Pokemon and a select number of Steel Type Pokemon, not many can comfortably take a STAB Outrage from Dragonite due to the sheer power behind the move. As previously mentioned, Extreme Speed can clean up late game and even revenge kill weakened Pokemon. Thunder Punch is used to hit Azumarill and Skarmory for super-effective damage, two very common switch-ins for Dragonite. Superpower hits Steel and Dark type Pokemon for super-effective damage as well, at the cost of lowering its Attack and Defense by one stage after every use.

Good Teammates: Stealth Rock and Multiscale don't work too well together so Rapid Spin Excadrill and Defog Lati@s work well as partners for Dragonite. Magnezone works well as it creates the classic "DragMag" core that's proven to work well over and over again. Pokemon that can lay down hazards such as Landorus-T make good partners as Stealth Rock damage can make or break maybe important KOs for Banded Dragonite

What Counters It: Clefable can come in with ease and Moonblast Dragonite while Mega Slowbro doesn't care about any of Dragonite's moves and can simply retaliate with a powerful Ice Beam. Bulky Swords Dance variants of Mega Scizor can roost off any damage given by Banded Dragonite and proceed to setup on Dragonite.

Any Additional Info: This cannot be emphasized enough ; if you see that Banded Extreme Speed is a very real win condition for your team, keep Dragonite around until the end!
I strongly suggest changing the main nature or slashing Jolly before Adamant as it allows Dragonite to outspeed Jolly Mega Heracross to dent it before it KO's you with Rock Blast.

I strongly suggest changing the main nature or slashing Jolly before Adamant as it allows Dragonite to outspeed Jolly Mega Heracross to dent it before it KO's you with Rock Blast.
I was considering that and I'm wondering if Mega Heracross is even really relevant right now. (or if there are any significant pokemon jolly will let me outspeed besides jolly m-hera)

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
I was considering that and I'm wondering if Mega Heracross is even really relevant right now. (or if there are any significant pokemon jolly will let me outspeed besides jolly m-hera)
Hmm.. it did get pretty screwed over by all the new fast megas that were introduced, but I'd just leave it as is for now and see what others have to say.

Hmm.. it did get pretty screwed over by all the new fast megas that were introduced, but I'd just leave it as is for now and see what others have to say.
well it is a fair point so i slashed jolly after adamant.

EDIT:
Going full steam ahead on this project~
Reserving Sash Terrakion

Done

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog / Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect / Roar

Role: Hazard Remover, Hazard Setter

What it Does: With a plethora of resistances, some nifty support moves, and good special bulk, Empoleon makes a good check to Pokemon like Clefable, the Lati twins, Kingdra, and Greninja without Low Kick, while also providing Defog support or setting up Stealth Rock. Scald is Empoleon's STAB and helps to patch up Empoleon's lower Defense stat with its chance to burn. Toxic is more reliable status inducer, allowing Empoleon to cripple opposing defensive Pokemon like Slowbro, or put sweepers on a timer. Protect allows Empoleon to receive crucial Leftovers recovery, and works well with Toxic to rack up residual damage. Roar is used to shuffle around the opponents team to rack up Stealth Rock damage and is also a useful stop to setup sweepers.

Good Teammates: Physically bulky Pokemon that have good synergy with Empoleon like Chesnaught, Landorus-T, and Gliscor make good partners since they can cover for Empoloeon's lower physical defense. Wish passers like Sylveon, and Clefable also make good partners, as Empoleon has no form of reliable recovery, and so it's easily worn down.

What Counters it: Electric types like Mega Manectric, Raikou, and Magnezone can hit Empoleon hard with thier STAB Thunderbolts. Magnezone has the added bonus of trapping Empoleon so it can't switch out. Fighting types like Mega Hercross, Mega Lopunny and Keldeo, while they do not enjoy being burned or taking toxic damage, can hit Empoleon super effectively on its weaker physical defense stat. Conkeldurr can switch into any move of Empoleon's without fear due to it's Guts ability and threaten to hit Empoleon with Drain Punch. Though they need to watch out for a Scald burn, strong physical attackers in general can hit Empoleon on it's weaker physical side and deal lots of damage.

Any Additional Info: As mentioned above Empoleon is a very easy Pokemon to wear down through repeated assaults, so if you need Empoleon to check a specific member of your opponent's team try to play it more carefully and don't let it take too much unnecessary damage.

Last edited:
Mega Heracross isn't worth running Jolly for, but it's still relevant. Hera's one of the easiest ways to break Mega Slowbro stall teams, and it can also 2HKO MegaEye unboosted. You've got to trick Mega Sableye into evolving before hand to avoid Wisp, but that's not too hard.

Sanger Zonvolt I finished Mega Heracross and Gard in the post I reserved for them. I'll reserve Mega Aerodactyl and Thundurus-I. Also, is Scarf Excadrill relevant at this point? Rapid Spin is a huge momentum killer on that set.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Mega Heracross isn't worth running Jolly for, but it's still relevant. Hera's one of the easiest ways to break Mega Slowbro stall teams, and it can also 2HKO MegaEye unboosted. You've got to trick Mega Sableye into evolving before hand to avoid Wisp, but that's not too hard.

Sanger Zonvolt I finished Mega Heracross and Gard in the post I reserved for them. I'll reserve Mega Aerodactyl and Thundurus-I. Also, is Scarf Excadrill relevant at this point? Rapid Spin is a huge momentum killer on that set.
Scarf Excadrill is really not that relevant and I'm confused as to why people use it. I guess it's relevant out of usage more so than any beneficial practical use. I see the benefits of it sometimes but I think it's just a very liable set. I think it's more about revenge killing than actually being good as a spinner but even then I don't think it's that fantastic =S.

Scarf Excadrill is really not that relevant and I'm confused as to why people use it. I guess it's relevant out of usage more so than any beneficial practical use. I see the benefits of it sometimes but I think it's just a very liable set. I think it's more about revenge killing than actually being good as a spinner but even then I don't think it's that fantastic =S.
the spinner role has diminished quite a bit in all honesty. it's just a filler move that has a practical use in certain situations (like a last ditch spin)
scarf drill is still quite relevant though in my opinion. for example, it's one of the best offensive checks to thundurus-i, talonflame and mega manectric for starters. it's one of the few scarf users that don't fear thunder wave. ground-steel typing is great both offensively and defensively, providing strong STABs and useful resists. not too many pokemon can substitute excadrill at its job tbh.

DONE

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power / Rock Slide
- Hidden Power Grass / Stealth Rock

Role:
Wall Breaker / Special Sweeper

What it Does:
Mega Camerupt is a devastating force under Trick Room. There are few things that want to switch in to a Sheer Force boosted Fire Blast. Mega Camerupt has a good typing, giving it a lot of handy resistances and an immunity. It also has Solid Rock before Mega Evolving, allowing it to switch in on could-be Super Effective hits. However, its typing does make it weak to common attacking types like Ground, and it has a horrible x4 Weakness to Water. Mega Camerupt basically needs Trick Room to be effective, since its 20 Base Speed is absolutely awful and will not be outspeeding anything. Camerupt also has amazing bulk when Mega Evolved, even when uninvested.

Good Teammates:
Anything that deals with Chansey and Rotom-W. Choice Banded Terrakion is a good teammate, as well as Ferrothorn, since it works well in Trick Room and has great synergy with Camerupt.

What Counters it:
Rotom-W is a complete counter to Mega Camerupt. Hidden Power Grass has a small chance to 2HKO, while Rotom effortlessly KOs back with a Hydro Pump.
Chansey also takes less than 20% from a Fire Blast, also there isn't a lot it can do back unless it wants to Toxic stall and hope for a miss.

Any Additional Info:
Mega Camerupt absolutely needs Trick Room. It's a Mega that requires a large amount of team support to be anywhere near effective. If you aren't too experienced with Trick Room teams, the suggestion is to stay away from Camerupt and choose something more your style. Without Trick Room, Camerupt might tank a single hit with its bulk and then be rendered useless as something faster, which is pretty much everything, can easily revenge kill it.

Bow down to the Lucifer.

Houndoom @ Houndoomite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Taunt / Sludge Bomb
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot

Role:
Stall Breaker / Special Sweeper

What it Does:
Mega Houndoom was a lucky Mega this generation. Its unique dual STABs and ability to use Nasty Plot truly shine in this generation. Mega Houndoom was before lack luster, but now it has its chance to shine. It has a fantastic 145 base Special Attack, boosted even more if you're under the sunlight, and a good 115 base Speed stat that allows it to outspeed most things that would threaten it. It also has Sludge Bomb for Fairy types, so those pesky Azumarill won't be able to switch in safely.

Good Teammates:
Scizor is a good team mate who learns Defog, since Stealth Rocks can plague Houndoom, and since Houndoom has Flash fire before Mega Evolving, it can bait the fire moves. Obviously, Ninetales creates sunlight, which takes advantage of Mega Houndoom's ability, Solar Power, making Houndoom a more potent sweeper than Mega Charizard Y. Dugtrio also traps Heatran and Tyranitar, two of Houndoom's biggest problems.

What Counters it:
Chansey is a hard check to Houndoom, and that should be obvious. Although, Chansey is set up fodder, and Houndoom can get to +6 quite easily against it. Rotom-W also deals well with it, but they have to fear Solar Beam if you are running a Sun team, and it takes a hefty chunk from Dark Pulse. Tyranitar is a threat under Sand, while Heatran stops Fire Blast, but still takes a lot from +2 Dark Pulse.

Any Additional Info:

Entei @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze

Role:
Wall Breaker / Late Game Sweeper

What it Does:
Entei has access to, simply put, one of the most spamable moves in the game, Sacred Fire, so it no longer has to rely on Flare Blitz. With a great base 100 power and a 50% chance to burn, not a lot can switch in comfortably. Even things that want to switch in, have the risk of being Burned. Combine this with Entei's decent Attack and a Choice Band, Entei is a fearsome sweeper and wall breaker that not a lot of people want to mess with. It also has great coverage in Stone Edge, Bulldoze, and it has Extreme Speed to clean up late game.

Good Teammates:
Mega Manectric and Raikou are great team mates, since they deal with Gliscor with Hidden Power Ice, and they're great pivots who can give opportunity to Entei. Greninja also works as a nice check to bulky Fairy types because it revived Gunk Shot this generation.

What Counters it:
Bulky Water types usually have little problem switching in, although things like Azumarill have to be wary of a Sacred Fire burn. Gliscor, if already Poisoned, doesn't have a problem switching in either, but it has to have a safe switch in so it doesn't get Burned. Heatran can switch in safely to a Sacred Fire, but Entei's Bulldoze can easily take care of that.

Any Additional Info:
Why doesn't Entei get Earthquake like seriously.

Last edited:

Deathzilla @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze -> Tough Claws
EVs(Jolly): 252 Attack; 184 Speed; 72 HP
EVs(Adamant): 252 Attack; 200 Speed; 56 HP
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Flare Blitz
- Roost/ Earthquake/ Coverage

Role: Wall Breaker, Physical Sweeper

What it Does: Charizard X kills things, plain and simple. It has fantastic typing, with its only weaknesses coming from Dragon, Rock, and Ground, and no double weaknesses. Thanks to its impressive bulk, he can run many different sets and in all cases, has the ability to set up and sweep. Fire typing makes him immune to burn conditions, which makes him incredibly strong as an offensive physical pokemon. The speed investment set listed allows Charizard to outspeed base 91 and below enemies at +1 when he is at +1 himself. The most commonly listed matchup is Landorus-T holding a Choice Scarf, which gives him an offensive edge. Dragon Claw is your primary STAB, with 160 BP after its boost from Tough Claws it can basically destroy everything. For things that Dragon Claw either doesn't hit, or in the case that you run into a wall, Flare Blitz boasts 240 BP and annihilates almost anything that doesn't resist it. The other set is designed for raw power and damage, and the EVs allow him to (while at +1) out speed base 145 mons with beneficial natures like the new Mega Beedril running Dril Run or Mega Sceptile running Earthquake. The last move slot varies depending on preference and how much you like to believe what you read on the internet. Roost gives you the ability to heal up damage you either take by Flare Blitz recoil or by chip damage from hazards and enemies who manage to get in some priority hits or something. Generally, it is considered the best option. If you're like me, and you think wasting a turn healing up damage you do to yourself so you can do it again next turn is a bad idea, you can run a third attack for coverage. Earthquake is listed because it gives outs to potential counters and has good coverage, but there are other options if you fear specific enemies like Thunder Punch, Brick Break, and Iron Tail.

Good Teammates: The best teammate that any Charizard X could ask for is a Scarfed Excadril. Before mega evolving, Zard takes 50% damage from Stealth rock. Fuck that shit. Excadril hits a lot of Charizard's counters and it has rapid spin making him freaking awesome. Any kind of hazard control is needed to keep Zard X safe to switch in. Starmie can serve as a special complement to an extent and can also spin for you, as well as something like Thundurous slowing things down with Thunder Wave support (especially with the slower Adamant build). Strong special attackers to handle physical walls that somehow Charizard can't handle can help him out a lot.

What Counters it: For as awesome as he is, Zard X does have a few strong counters. First one, and the bitchiest to deal with is Azumarril. Water/Fairy is the polar opposite of Fire/Dragon, and it shows. Zard can't hit him for anything substantial unless you run Thunderpunch, and running tPunch just for Azu is a waste of a move slot. Mega Altaria is also a scary new counter who resists both STABs and can come back with a STAB of its own to kill you. Heatran absorbs fire and doesn't care too much about dragon claw. Diancie is the newest threat, as a Rock/Fairy it is also terrifying to deal with. Choice Scarf Garchomp is less common nowadays, but unless you can get yourself up to +2 speed, there is nothing you can do about that 102 base speed. Without a good coverage move and/or support from the rest of your team these threats will stop you from succeeding.

Any Additional Info: With the exception of maybe Mega Alteria, Mega Charizard X is the best Dragon Dancer in OU. This is only one iteration of builds for Charizard X, and there are many different EV spreads and move sets that can change the way he is played and the kind of support he needs.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Deathzilla @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze -> Tough Claws
EVs(Jolly): 252 Attack; 184 Speed; 72 HP
EVs(Adamant): 252 Attack; 200 Speed; 56 HP
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Flare Blitz
- Roost/ Earthquake/ Brick Break

Role: Wall Breaker, Physical Sweeper, Late Game Cleaner

What it Does: Charizard X kills things, plain and simple. It has fantastic typing, with its only weaknesses coming from Dragon, Rock, and Ground, and no double weaknesses. Thanks to its impressive bulk, he can run many different sets and in all cases, has the ability to set up and sweep. Fire typing makes him immune to burn conditions, which makes him incredibly strong as an offensive physical pokemon. The speed investment set listed allows Charizard to outspeed base 91 and below enemies at +1 when he is at +1 himself. The most commonly listed matchup is Landorus-T holding a Choice Scarf, which gives him an offensive edge. Dragon Claw is your primary STAB, with 160 BP after its boost from Tough Claws it can basically destroy everything. For things that Dragon Claw either doesn't hit, or in the case that you run into a wall, Flare Blitz boasts 240 BP and annihilates almost anything that doesn't resist it. The other set is designed for raw power and damage, and the EVs allow him to (while at +1) out speed base 145 mons with beneficial natures like the new Mega Beedril running Dril Run or Mega Sceptile running Earthquake. The last move slot varies depending on preference and how much you like to believe what you read on the internet. Roost gives you the ability to heal up damage you either take by Flare Blitz recoil or by chip damage from hazards and enemies who manage to get in some priority hits or something. Generally, it is considered the best option. If you're like me, and you think wasting a turn healing up damage you do to yourself so you can do it again next turn is a bad idea, you can run a third attack for coverage. The two I have listed are good for general coverage since fighting and ground outside of fire have the best offensive coverage in the game, but there are other options if you fear specific enemies like Thunder Punch and Iron Tail.

Good Teammates: The best teammate that any Charizard X could ask for is a Scarfed Excadril. Before mega evolving, Zard takes 50% damage from Stealth rock. Fuck that shit. Excadril hits a lot of Charizard's counters and it has rapid spin making him freaking awesome. Any kind of hazard control is needed to keep Zard X safe to switch in. Greninja can serve as a special complement to an extent, as well as something like Thundurous slowing things down with Thunder Wave support (especially with the slower Adamant build). Strong special attackers to handle physical walls that somehow Charizard can't handle can help him out a lot.

What Counters it: For as awesome as he is, Zard X does have a few strong counters. First one, and the bitchiest to deal with is Azumarril. Water/Fairy is the polar opposite of Fire/Dragon, and it shows. Zard can't hit him for anything substantial unless you run Thunderpunch, and running tPunch just for Azu is a waste of a move slot. Mega Altaria is also a scary new counter who resists both STABs and can come back with a STAB of its own to kill you. Heatran absorbs fire and doesn't care too much about dragon claw. Diancie is the newest threat, as a Rock/Fairy it is also terrifying to deal with. Choice Scarf Garchomp is less common nowadays, but unless you can get yourself up to +2 speed, there is nothing you can do about that 102 base speed. Without a good coverage move and/or support from the rest of your team these threats will stop you from succeeding.

Any Additional Info: With the exception of maybe Mega Alteria, Mega Charizard X is the best Dragon Dancer in OU. This is only one iteration of builds for Charizard X, and there are many different EV spreads and move sets that can change the way he is played and the kind of support he needs.
We've already discussed this (on this thread or another, can't remember), Brick Break is terribad. It hits nothing relevant and Earthquake is the superior option since it hits all of the things that resist Zard X's STABs for super effective damage unless their name is Azumarill or Mega Altaria. Even Thunder Punch or Iron Tail are better because they can hit relevant targets, but I still wouldn't recommend either regardless.

Last edited:

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Swords Dance / Taunt

Role: Hazard User

What It Does: Focus Sash Terrakion aims to set up Stealth Rock while providing strong offensive presence, preventing it from being setup fodder of any kind. Close Combat is a powerful Fighting-type STAB that dents any Pokemon that doesn't resist the move while Stone Edge is also another STAB that deals hefty amounts of damage. Close Combat and Stone Edge are unresisted by the entire OU metagame, making it a very potent move combination to say the least. The last move is a toss up and is usually chosen by looking at what the team needs more. Earthquake provides further coverage and hits Heatran especially hard for 4x super effective damage. Swords Dance turns Terrakion into a devastating wallbreaker and potential sweeper should the opposition lack an appropriate answer for a +2 Terrakion. Taunt works well as it prevents slower Stealth Rock users such as Skarmory and Garchomp from getting up their Stealth Rock. Taunt also prevents slower Defog users from using Defog and removing hazards off the field.

Good Teammates: Since this Terrakion variant is well suited for offensive teams, Pokemon such as Greninja and Talonflame really appreciate Terrakion's ability to setup Stealth Rock. Spinblockers and Defiant users make great partners, such as Gengar and Bisharp, as they are capable of preventing Terrakion's Stealth Rock from being removed.

What Counters It: Sableye can use Prankster Taunt to prevent Stealth Rock or Prankster WoW to soften blows from Terrakion. It can even Mega Evolve and bounce back Stealth Rock or the incoming Taunt at Terrakion, preventing it from doing its job.

Any Additional Info: Don't be afraid to sack Terrakion if you have put Stealth Rock up and you see that Terrakion doesn't check the opposition all too well

- - - - - - - -
Reserving Based Ditto

Last edited:

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Oblivious
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Scald

Role: Tank

What It Does: Mega Slowbro is simply put, one of the most annoying Pokemon to deal with. Through Mega Evolution, it gains the ability Shell Armor, which removes any chance of a critical hit happening. At first, that may not seem like much, until you delve deeper into exactly what it's capable of. Through Mega Evolution, only 2 of the 5 available stats are increased, Defense and Special Attack. Slowbro on its own was an amazing Physical Wall, but with this it gained an extra 70, you read that right, 70 points into Defense. The rest simply placed into its Special Attack stat. With its ridiculous Stat distribution, 95/180/80 is insane. However, it can be further boosted thanks to Calm Mind sky rocketing its Special attack, while also patching up its Special Defense to that of its physical. Thanks to Rest, Status is never a problem, so it can never be worn down by Poison, or burns over time while also healing up any and all HP that has been taken. Sleep Talk allows Slowbro to attack while sleeping, possibly getting an extremely powerful attack off or setting up further. Scald is STAB, and well rounded STAB very few things are willing to take, especially with the possibility of getting burned. Once its few hard counters have been removed, it can freely set up and begin to destroy teams, simply one of the best Pokemon currently in the OU tier.

Good Teammates: Pokemon capable of dealing with hard hitting Special attackers work very well with Mega Slowbro. Pokemon such as Chansey and Tentacruel work fine. Pokemon capable of taking out Taunt users and Stall breakers are also very well fit for Mega Slowbro who otherwise cannot Set up to begin hurting any and everything that comes in. Although there are only a few, Water Absorbers along with other Pokemon immune to Water are also problems to Slowbro since it can't do anything and is forced to switch out, so something capable of dealing with those few Pokemon is very much welcomed.

What Counters It: As stated above, Water Absorbers and Pokemon with similar abilities are capable of hard walling Mega Slowbro 1v1, leaving it useless against them. Special walls can also very easily come in and take a Scald unless you've managed to get to +6 early. Grass Types, also have no problem coming in and taking a scald and dealing Super effective damage. However, it should be noted, that at a certain Point, Super effective moves do not matter to Mega Slowbro unless the opponent has Mold breaker, which, no Grass type does.

Any Additional Info: Psyshock or Psychic can be ran in place of Scald, however, it is vastly inferior thanks to Water's great neutral coverage, and the chance to burn further improving its physical bulk. In order to take Physical hits much better, a Max Defense Spread (252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD) can also be ran to brush off pretty much all physical attacks to round out Mega Slowbro's bulk to insane levels on both sides.

Last edited:
I have actually found another set for Megazard X that I think may end up being even better than DD sweeper.
51HP / 252Atk / 5Def / 200Spe
It utilizes Flare Blitz
Outrage / Dragon Claw
Tailwind
Swords Dance

Could I reserve this one? I actually have a few things to say about it and it works differently than your standard DD set.
No offense, but I think you need to lurk a little more before diving into things like this.
Not to mention, this set takes quite a few turns of set up and is completely walled by the likes of Heatran. It seems like more of a gimmick than anything, but someone can show me replays of this thing working if they want to try to prove me wrong, not trying to start an argument or anything.

I have actually found another set for Megazard X that I think may end up being even better than DD sweeper.
51HP / 252Atk / 5Def / 200Spe
It utilizes Flare Blitz
Outrage / Dragon Claw
Tailwind
Swords Dance

Could I reserve this one? I actually have a few things to say about it and it works differently than your standard DD set.
Agreeing with Recreant for a different reason. As you get more and more into competitive pokemon, you'll learn some of the subtlties of it... such as it takes four Effort Values (EVs) to increase a pokemon a full point. So when you have 51 HP and 5 defense, you're not using the EV spread properly. Secondly, you'll want to make sure there is a method to your madness with the spread itself. For you, I can tell there probably isn't 1.) because you didn't know how to use EV spreads and 2.) because you have a random 5 (or 4, with proper adjustment) EVs in defense... which would only increase the defense one point... Probably out of 180-200.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)