Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have actually found another set for Megazard X that I think may end up being even better than DD sweeper.
51HP / 252Atk / 5Def / 200Spe
It utilizes Flare Blitz
Outrage / Dragon Claw
Tailwind
Swords Dance

Could I reserve this one? I actually have a few things to say about it and it works differently than your standard DD set.
Since it actually is listed in an analysis written by TRC (which has also cleared QC) I don't mind an analysis being written up on the set. Here's the link for those who want to read it: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/charizard-gp-0-2.3508461/. That being said, I know it requires a bit more thought to use well than most sweepers, and given the EV spread you provided you do seem a bit new to battling. If you don't mind your post being placed under a bit more scrutiny (i.e. there may be criticism) and you read up on the analysis written by TRC to get a second perspective on the set, then unless someone with more experience with the set wants to jump in and take it I don't see any reason why a write-up can't be done. master_marshmallow a couple comments on your Zard set
  • I'd leave out the Cleaner part in his role. He's a bit slow for a late-game cleaner without a Dragon Dance, whereas most cleaners have an immediate amount of speed they can take advantage of. Besides, most sweepers can also clean up. Just a nitpick.
  • I know you've been advertising Brick Break, but it's honestly about as much as a niche option as Thunderpunch or Iron Tail. As it is with Mega Charizard X's raw power it already runs over most things harder with Dragon Claw and Flare Blitz which is why I still prefer Roost over EQ (I don't mind it being slashed though). Let's break down what you break with Brick Break over EQ and vice versa:
    • What you beat with Brick Break over Earthquake: Tyranitar, Air Balloon Heatran,
    • What you beat with Earthquake over Brick Break: Mega Altaria, Victini, Mega Diancie, every other Heatran variant.
    • Pretty much everything else is either hit harder with Flare Blitz / Dragon claw or EQ and Brick Break do the same damage.
Honestly the difference between EQ and Brick Break is miniscule, but if I had to choose one I'd rather have the one that lets me potentially take down 2 huge threats than the one that lets me better deal with one threat and one variant of something that's otherwise taken out with Earthquake.

Since it actually is listed in an analysis written by TRC (which has also cleared QC) I don't mind an analysis being written up on the set. Here's the link for those who want to read it: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/charizard-gp-0-2.3508461/. That being said, I know it requires a bit more thought to use well than most sweepers, and given the EV spread you provided you do seem a bit new to battling. If you don't mind your post being placed under a bit more scrutiny (i.e. there may be criticism) and you read up on the analysis written by TRC to get a second perspective on the set, then unless someone with more experience with the set wants to jump in and take it I don't see any reason why a write-up can't be done. master_marshmallow a couple comments on your Zard set
  • I'd leave out the Cleaner part in his role. He's a bit slow for a late-game cleaner without a Dragon Dance, whereas most cleaners have an immediate amount of speed they can take advantage of. Besides, most sweepers can also clean up. Just a nitpick.
  • I know you've been advertising Brick Break, but it's honestly about as much as a niche option as Thunderpunch or Iron Tail. As it is with Mega Charizard X's raw power it already runs over most things harder with Dragon Claw and Flare Blitz which is why I still prefer Roost over EQ (I don't mind it being slashed though). Let's break down what you break with Brick Break over EQ and vice versa:
    • What you beat with Brick Break over Earthquake: Tyranitar, Air Balloon Heatran,
    • What you beat with Earthquake over Brick Break: Mega Altaria, Victini, Mega Diancie, every other Heatran variant.
    • Pretty much everything else is either hit harder with Flare Blitz / Dragon claw or EQ and Brick Break do the same damage.
Honestly the difference between EQ and Brick Break is miniscule, but if I had to choose one I'd rather have the one that lets me potentially take down 2 huge threats than the one that lets me better deal with one threat and one variant of something that's otherwise taken out with Earthquake.
Respectfully, there are a lot more relevant enemies hit by BB that matter, and as I've already said in the other thread, using EQ to hit Azy or Alteria on the switch in when you could be switching out to a counter of your own is more pointless than running a niche move to cover it.
Fighting is relevant coverage, because there are more dark types out there, like bulky MGyarados, and Normal types like Eviolite Chansey, who otherwise could put you in an unfavorable scenario like getting taunted before the DD or getting hot by Toxic. Not to mention that you take a lot of fucking recoil damage from Blitz on Chansey that you could avoid to get in another KO.
I can't help but feel the relevance is being underestimated because of how long I've been around rather than by actual viability. Smogon users even admit their own bias.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Brick Break Zard-X does have some relevancy but I wouldn't bother using it on Dragon Dance Zard-X. If you want to talk about where Brick Break would have more practical use it's the 3 attacks/Roost set where the focus now is on coverage as being a Tank compared to the Sweeper set where the focus is about sweeping with said coverage moves. This is generally a different set and different spread though but considering there's a good 5 or so different variations of Zard-X adding some stuff in additional information to address this could help.

boxofkangaroos For Clefable its Roles going off of that spread would be Physical Wall and Stall-Breaker just a heads up. Also keep Leftovers by itself as recovery is super important for it and Life Orb functions on more offensive sets.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power Fire / Surf / Earthquake
- Roost / Defog

Role: Wall-breaker, Hazard Remover

What It Does: Life Orb Attacker Latios provides a powerful wall-breaker for Balanced and Offensive builds of varying degree. Psyshock is STAB that is used to break such threats as Mixed-Wall Clefable, Chansey, M-Venusaur, AV Conkeldurr, AV Azumarill, and others that can be exploited through their Defense stat. Draco Meteor is the nuke of the set that breaks down Physical Walls with ease to KO Dragon Types and netting consistent 2HKOs or heavy damage to non resists and less bulky resists such as Bisharp. Hidden Power Fire is consistent coverage used to improve its wallbreaking capabilities against bulky Steel types not named Heatran and Empoleon. Surf can be used to have an easier time breaking bulky ground types as well as Heatran while Earthquake can be used for hitting Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Jirachi among others. Roost is for recovery to heal off general damage and Life Orb recoil while Defog is hazard removal if the team is in need of it.

Good Teammates: Fighting Types are some excellent partners to Latios to break down Pursuit Trappers and Dark Types that threaten it so notable ones include Terrakion, Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Cobalion, and Breloom as a handful of choices to consider. Most sets that Latios will use will have issues with bulky Psychic Types so strong Dark types such as Bisharp and Tyranitar can help dismantle cores that include Psychic Types. Fairy Types such as Azumarill, Clefable, and M-Gardevoir can relieve some pressure on Latios to handle Dragon types that Latios may be threatened by such as Scarf Kyurem-B and DDance Dragonite as examples.

What Counters It: Besides the previously mentioned issues it's more dependent on the set being used. For example Psyshock, Draco Meteor, Earthquake, support move is countered by Ferrothorn while one that has HP Fire over Earthquake will be countered by Specially Defensive Heatran. General checks include pursuit Trappers such as Choice Scarf Tyranitar and Bisharp, offensive Ice Types or ones with Ice coverage such as Icy Wind Keldeo, Ice Beam Greninja, Ice Shard Mamoswine and revenge killers to this particular set. The real key to preparing yourself for Latios is to have a team with general checks to its coverage moves and having room to work around issues you may come across.

Any Additional Info: This set provided is simply a blueprint. The Latios set should cater more to your specific team build than just what's on here. [2 attacks, Roost, Defog], [Draco Meteor, HP Fire, Earthquake, Roost], [4 attacks] are examples of viable sets for Life Orb Attacker and as such feel free to move stuff around. Normally when sets go mixed people will use - SpDef Natures to reduce priority damage but in Latios' case you shouldn't do this as it makes it harder for it to check Charizard-Y and Keldeo when running a Naive nature.

^ Done ^

Last edited:

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Reserving Calm Mind Clefable.

Clefable @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

Role: Mixed Wall, Tank (?)

What It Does: Tanks hits and hits back hard. Send Clefable in on an opponent that can't really touch you, and begin to set up Calm Minds.

Good Teammates:

What Counters It:

Any Additional Info:

Last edited:
Respectfully, there are a lot more relevant enemies hit by BB that matter, and as I've already said in the other thread, using EQ to hit Azy or Alteria on the switch in when you could be switching out to a counter of your own is more pointless than running a niche move to cover it.
Fighting is relevant coverage, because there are more dark types out there, like bulky MGyarados, and Normal types like Eviolite Chansey, who otherwise could put you in an unfavorable scenario like getting taunted before the DD or getting hot by Toxic. Not to mention that you take a lot of fucking recoil damage from Blitz on Chansey that you could avoid to get in another KO.
I can't help but feel the relevance is being underestimated because of how long I've been around rather than by actual viability. Smogon users even admit their own bias.
The thing is that anything that doesn't resist Flare Blitz is hit harder by Flare Blitz unless they are 4x weak to Brick Break:
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 570-672 (88.7 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Brick Break vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 476-560 (74.1 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Admittedly I missed Mega Gyarados (and I guess Crawdaunt by extension), but you can still take care of Mega Gyrados if it comes in on you after a DD with Rocks up so it doesn't matter very much.

It's not being looked over because you're new. Honestly, a lot of people would argue that even EQ is bad on Charizard because of how little you hit compared to the lost longevity given to you by Roost. However, Earthquake in general covers more things that threaten Zard X than Brick Break. That's not to say Brick Break is unusable, but it strikes me more as a lure for a Bulky DD set, and I'd rather have a better chance of getting over a weakened Mega Altaria and a weakened Mega Diancie than to have a better chance of getting over Tyranitar and bulky Mega Gyarados, if only because at +1 Mega Charizard can take out Mega Tyranitar and Bulky Mega Gyarados with just a bit of prior damage. You can still mention BB as a possible option alongside Thunder Punch and Iron Tail. I'm just not comfortable having it slashed in the set.

Mega Swampert - Finished! :]

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp -> Swift Swim
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower / Low Kick / Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Role: Physical Sweeper / Late-Game Cleaner

What it does: Mega-Swampert cleans weaken teams or a favorable team match-up, now with the added power and bulk, along with a Swift Swim to double it's speed in the rain, it allows Mega-Swampert to tear through teams with it's high power and speed boost in the rain, makes it a great addition to Rain Teams. What's cool about Mega-Swampert is that it's part Ground-typing make it immune to Thunder Wave, so you don't have to worry about Prankster T-Wave from Thundurus or Klefki stopping you, and it's added along Water-typing to that, makes it have only one weakness, being Grass. Along with the one-weakness it has, 100/110/110 bulk is heavily appreciated and a blessing for an offensive mon'. It's STAB Waterfall boosted in the rain is devastating, which also has a chance to flinch the opponent, and it's STAB Earthquake is nothing to laugh at too, making it great offensively. Ice Punch is mainly there to hit Landorus-T and Mega Sceptile (whilst in the rain to outspeed) and on small occasion other Dragons/Flying-Types, while Superpower/Low Kick helps it mainly deal with Ferrothorn and Chansey. Rain Dance is also another option if you're worried about running out of Rain-Turns, or do not care for the Fighting coverage.

Good Teammates: Politoad is a great teammate paired up with Mega Swampert, as it sets up immediate rain, allowing Mega-Swampert (when fully mega-evolved) to abuse Swift Swim and also lets Mega-Swampert not a waste a move slot for Rain Dance. Latias is also a great teammate, being able to switch-into Rotom-Wash and resists grass-type moves, and also helps deal with hazards plus being able to use Healing Wish. Pokemon that also deal with Mega Slowbro and Suicune, who are hard counters to Mega-Swampert are also appreciated, so using Raikou can be option.

What Counters it: Mega Slowbro, Suicune, Rotom-Wash, Mega-Venusaur (if not weaken, Ice Punch does about 20%) and Celebi (if not weaken a whole lot, Ice Punch does 49%-58% at min when Specially-Defensive). You also have to watch out for Will-O-Wisps, as it will significantly make Mega-Swampert weak and useless.

Additional Info: Mega Swampert is usually seen to be a Late-Game Cleaner, when it's checks/counters have been significantly weaken making it easy for it sweep. Otherwise, it's uncommon to see it sweep mid-game unless team-match-up is in your favor for Mega-Swampert. Explanation on the EV Spread: The 152 EV's in Speed allow it to outspeed Mega Sceptile/Mega Beedrill in the rain, 252 EV's in ATK for power, and the rest of the EV's dumped in HP for bulk.

Sanger Zonvolt , finished! Please let me know if there's anything wrong. ^^

Last edited:

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Transform
- uhm
- nothing here
- whew this is awkward

Role: Revenge Killer

What It Does: It does what Ditto does best. Switches in, activates Imposter and makes a carbon copy of whatever's opposite Ditto. Same Pokemon, same moveset, same stat boosts, but a different amount of PP in the moves (Ditto only gets 5). That being said, Ditto is a great revenge killer thanks to the fact that it will always outspeed whatever is in front of it. Also should the opponent have a nice, boosted sweeper on the field, Ditto can potentially come right on in and reverse the flow of battle instantly.

Good Teammates: Ditto generally appreciates having 5 other members on the team. That way, there's a functioning 6 man squad. Magical huh?

What Counters It: That's a tough question. In all honesty, Ditto is its own worst enemy. Other than that, the "counter" depends on what Pokemon Ditto has morphed into. Defensive Pokemon are particularly worse for Ditto as it accomplishes nothing against most of them 99% of the time.

Any Additional Info: Make sure Ditto has minimum Speed IVs to obtain HP Ice, so it can revenge KO Pokemon such as Thundurus-I and Landorus-I. Since Ditto functions as a revenge-killer, Ditto should only be brought in after a teammate has fainted or has used a "switch move" such as U-turn, Volt Switch or Baton Pass.

- - - - - - - - - -

Reserving Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar, Scarfed Heatran & Sash Garchomp

Last edited:
I know the EV set and movepool are good for MixNape, but I was under the impression that it was designed to be a wallbreaker, not a cleaner. As I've said before though, I'm terrible with niche mons, so I'd like to hear some feedback on it from people more experienced with it before I add it.
It can certainly break walls, but in this more offensive metagame, I've had more success taking a hit-and-run approach. I could see it fitting in all 3 roles. I'm currently trying to ladder with an Infernape team I built, so once I stop playing dudes who are running stuff like Mirror Coat Swampert, I'll report back with my findings.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Transform
- uhm
- nothing here
- whew this is awkward

What It Does: It does what Ditto does best. Switches in, activates Imposter and makes a carbon copy of whatever's opposite Ditto. Same Pokemon, same moveset, same stat boosts, but a different amount of PP in the moves (Ditto only gets 5). That being said, Ditto is a great revenge killer thanks to the fact that it will always outspeed whatever is in front of it. Also should the opponent have a nice, boosted sweeper on the field, Ditto can potentially come right on in and reverse the flow of battle instantly.

Good Teammates: Ditto generally appreciates having 5 other members on the team. That way, there's a functioning 6 man squad. Magical huh?

What Counters It: That's a tough question. In all honesty, Ditto is its own worst enemy. Other than that, the "counter" depends on what Pokemon Ditto has morphed into.

Any Additional Info: Make sure Ditto has minimum Speed IVs to obtain HP Ice, so it can revenge KO Pokemon such as Thundurus-I and Landorus-I. Since Ditto functions as a revenge-killer, Ditto should only be brought in after a teammate has fainted or has used a "switch move" such as U-turn, Volt Switch or Baton Pass.

- - - - - - - - - -

Reserving Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar, Scarfed Heatran & Sash Garchomp
As far as counters go, defensive and stall pokemon "counter" Ditto because they take away 99% of it's effectiveness. Transforming into Chansey or Skarm really doesn't do you any favors.

The thing is that anything that doesn't resist Flare Blitz is hit harder by Flare Blitz unless they are 4x weak to Brick Break:
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 570-672 (88.7 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Brick Break vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 476-560 (74.1 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Admittedly I missed Mega Gyarados (and I guess Crawdaunt by extension), but you can still take care of Mega Gyrados if it comes in on you after a DD with Rocks up so it doesn't matter very much.

It's not being looked over because you're new. Honestly, a lot of people would argue that even EQ is bad on Charizard because of how little you hit compared to the lost longevity given to you by Roost. However, Earthquake in general covers more things that threaten Zard X than Brick Break. That's not to say Brick Break is unusable, but it strikes me more as a lure for a Bulky DD set, and I'd rather have a better chance of getting over a weakened Mega Altaria and a weakened Mega Diancie than to have a better chance of getting over Tyranitar and bulky Mega Gyarados, if only because at +1 Mega Charizard can take out Mega Tyranitar and Bulky Mega Gyarados with just a bit of prior damage. You can still mention BB as a possible option alongside Thunder Punch and Iron Tail. I'm just not comfortable having it slashed in the set.
I can dig it, yo.

As far as counters go, defensive and stall pokemon "counter" Ditto because they take away 99% of it's effectiveness. Transforming into Chansey or Skarm really doesn't do you any favors.
Well that's assuming the player intentionally switches in on the defensive Pokemon or the opposition makes a hard read and switches expecting Ditto. But I'll throw it in regardless

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Flying]
Role: Wallbreaker

What It Does: This set is a lesser used Thundurus look, but still a very deadly one. The Attack EVs KO Latios with Knock Off after Stealth Rock, and also juice up Superpower. Combined with Thundurus' high speed tier, it can break down defensive cores very easily with it's high dual offenses. This set in particular beats Chansey (the most common Thundy answer), Skarm, Gliscor, and Slowbro. It's a powerful and underrated wallbreaker that also plays well against offensive teams. Defiant can also allow it to take advantage of common Defoggers not expecting the switch-in, as this set beats nearly every common Defogger in tier 1v1. HP Flying can be run to beat Mega Venusaur, allowing Thundy to break down VenuTran cores. It can also allow it to break down other bulky Grass types, who otherwise resist Electric attacks. Taunt can be run for more of a stallbreaker look instead of a wallbreaker one. Thunder Wave can also be run over a coverage move, however that trends more towards a standard Thundurus set.

Good Teammates: Good teammates include special attackers that would like Chansey taken out or crippled. Thundurus also pairs well with other wallbreakers because while Thundy can often devastate cores, you want insurance in case it cannot finish the job. Hazard support is also helpful, because LO recoil and it's frail defenses can lead to it getting worn down quickly.

What Counters It: There aren't many. This set is designed to take out common Thundurus checks and counters, however some counters still exist. Cresselia stands a great chance at beating it if it carries Ice Beam. Scarf Tyranitar can be a good check if it switches in on a special attack. Quagsire is also a good answer, however some coverage moves can be used over HP Ice to get around Quag. Special Defensive Hippowdon is also a very effective check, being able to take HP Ice three times in most cases (83.5% of the time to be exact). Hippo 2HKOs in return with Stone Edge/Rock Slide.

Any Additional Info: Wild Charge may seem like a good idea over Thunderbolt, to take advantage of the Defiant boost. There are two issues with this. One, the Wild Charge recoil stacks up with the Life Orb recoil very quickly. Two, Thunderbolt and HP Ice allows you to bluff Nasty Plot Thundurus, thereby luring out Chansey and other common answers.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast / Taunt / Thunder Wave / Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Flying]
- Nasty Plot

Role: Special Sweeper

What It Does: Thundurus has the potential to be a frightening Special Sweeper. Nasty Plot combined with Prankster allows you to get the Nasty Plot off almost every time. Once at +2, Thundurus' answers shrink considerably. It sports the ever common BoltBeam coverage, which covers almost every answer to Thundurus' STAB Electric. HP Flying can be used over HP Ice for STAB, at the expense of some coverage. This allows Thundy get by Mega Venusaur, who can otherwise give it issues. Focus Blast hits otherwise solid answers, it hits Mangezone, Tyranitar and Excadrill very hard on the switch-in. Taunt allows it to operate as a stallbreaker, as well as making it the best priority Taunt user in OU. Thunder Wave gives Thundy it's trademark priority paralysis, allowing it to effectively cripple set-up sweepers.

Good Teammates: Depending on what coverage moves it runs, it needs teammates that fill in the gaps. If not running HP Flying, Thundy wants something that can break down Mega Venusaur. It also appreciates something that can beat Chansey outright, as even +2 Focus Blast barley makes a dent. If not running HP Ice, something to break down bulky Ground types is appreciated. Landorus-I is a good partner in general, as it beats Mega Venusaur, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Bisharp is also a good teammate, as is can cripple Chansey with Knock Off as well as handle both Lati@s twins.

What Counters It: Chansey is a hard stop to any variation of Nasty Plot. Tyranitar is a good check, as long as it doesn't switch in on Focus Blast. The Lati twins make good checks, because they can take any attack (even at +2) and strike back. Even +2 HP Ice doesn't OHKO. Excadrill is also a good check, as it's immune to Thunder Wave. Under Sand, it can take take an non-Focus Blast attack and outspeed and KO. Mega Venusaur takes on sets that don't carry HP Flying, as Thundy has to get to +4 to 2HKO with HP Ice.

Any Additional Info: Even though it seems like a good BirdSpam check, in reality it gets worn down too quickly to effectively deal with BirdSpam consistently. It does take it on well, but not as well as Rotom-W or Rhyperior.

AM noted your changes. Made Leftovers the primary item on the Nasty Plot set. I also mentioned HP Flying in the paragraph on the Defiant set, just didn't put it on the set. -Clone- what set are you referring to putting Sub on?

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 212 Atk / 44 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge/ Aqua Tail
- Fire Fang / Hone Claws / Taunt
- Ice Fang / Earthquake / Roost
- Aerial Ace

What It Does: Mega Aerodactyl is an amazing revenge killer. While it doesn't have the pure wallbreaking or massive sweeping power other Megas possess, it outspeeds the entire unboosted OU metagame. It also has endless coverage options, allowing you to pick what it revenge kills. Stone Edge and Aerial Ace are used most often because of the STAB damage but beyond that, you can really go in whatever direction you want. Hone Claws + Roost + STABs allow Aero to take on more of a cleaning role. Hone Claws works especially well with Stone Edge, giving you a 100% accurate +1 Stone Edge. Roost + Taunt + Aerial Ace + Aqua Tail allows Mega Aero to function as an effective stallbreaker, repeatedly chipping away at walls while using Taunt to shut off recovery and Roost to increase it's sustainability. Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Aqua Tail and Earthquake are all viable options to hit various other threats. Mega Aero is also notable for it's ability to take on BirdSpam from an offensive perspective. It can effectively take on Talonflame, Mega Pinsir and Staraptor in sequence without having to take on too much damage.

Good Teammates: Hazard control is appreciated, allowing it to come in with as much health as possible every time. Wallbreakers are also very helpful, as bulkier opponents give Aero trouble when they are not worn down. Anything that breaks down bulkier cores and teams is a good idea, because Aero is lacking in the pure power department.

What Counters It: Depending on the coverage, it can get walled fairly easily. If not running Water or Ice coverage, Gliscor, Hippo, Rhyperior, and Landorus-T give it issues. If not running Fire Fang, Ferrothorn gives it issues. Skarmory in general gives it trouble if Aero is not carrying Taunt, as Fire Fang is a 3HKO at best. Unaware Quagsire also gives it a lot of trouble, hardwalling virtually every set.

Any Additional Info: Nature is really up to the user. Adamant give it a nice (and needed) power boost, while Jolly gives it the potential to revenge kill Mega Manectric, Mega Lopunny, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Beedrill (although Aero doesn't have issues with Beedrill at all really).

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Celticpride I'd put in the additional info a mention of Hp Flying as your hidden power to break M-Venusaur and bulky grass types more efficiently on the Defiant set as well but other than that looks good. Nasty Plot set also prefers having Leftovers > Life Orb btw as it helps with setting up and being a bit more consistent instead of just keeling over to damage as well as Life Orb Recoil. So to me Life Orb would be a secondary slash but that's all up to you.

Edit: -Clone- Just saw it, need to stop reading and thinking when I should be sleeping lol. Thanks.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Celticpride I'd put in the additional info a mention of Hp Flying as your hidden power to break M-Venusaur and bulky grass types more efficiently on the Defiant set as well but other than that looks good. Nasty Plot set also prefers having Leftovers > Life Orb btw as it helps with setting up and being a bit more consistent instead of just keeling over to damage as well as Life Orb Recoil. So to me Life Orb would be a secondary slash but that's all up to you.
HP Flying is mentioned in the "What it Does" section with those exact reasons.

Also so this isn't a one-liner: Sub is worth a mention on the NP set imo as it protects against status from bulky mons who try to outlast you, and it gives a cushion whenever you force a switch. I used it a bit back in XY and it performed quite well tbh.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt/ Final Gambit
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn

What It Does: Victini is an underrated pokemon as it is quite an amazing Revenge Killer/ Physical Sweeper, and it has amazing coverage and quite a decent ability. Victini beats a lot of pokemon by itself as it has one of the strongest fire moves, V-Create to counter various bug/steel/Grass pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Scizor, Pinsir, Heracross. Others include Mega Venusaur and some Water types that it hits hard. U-Turn to keep momentum when your opponent wants to switch.

Good Teammates: Victini appreciates help from trapper such as Dugtrio to take out grounded counters such as Heatran. Another good Teammate would be Scarf Kyurem-B as it helps Victini deal with Lando-T and Victini can take out two common stall pokemon, Skarmory and Chansey(with Final Gambit) to help Kyurem-B sweep. Tentacruel is another mon that can synergize well with Victini as it is a mon that can switch into greninja and their typing synergizes well and Tentacruel proides rapid spin support. One more offensive thing that works well with Victini is Raikou or M-Manectric as these two handle Suicune and Slowbro and M_Bro and then this can allow Victini to become a big threat.
What Counters It: Things that mainly counter it are bulky water such as Suicune, Normal Slowbro and Mega Slowbro ,Rotom-W can check. Some offensive counters include Scarfed Garchomp, and Excadrill in sand, Tyranitar (if you have no Final Gambit.) Garchomp and Bisharp are potential counters say if you lock yourself into like Zen Headbutt and wanna switch, they can do a lot of damage with Pursuit because you are switching.

Any Additional Info: Final Gambit is an option as a last minute kamikaze attack, it also allows it to hit things like Chansey and Tyranitar. You can run a semi-bulkier spread with 72hp/232atk/200spe to hit harder with Final Gambit.

Scarf Garchomp coming today

edit:Fixed stuff for Victini

Last edited:
Okay, I should have all the sets up at this point (we're on 3 posts now!). As always, if I missed something or you edit your post, just let me know and I'll get it into the OP.

Shadow_Sneak just a few comments on the ScarfTini set:
  • unless I'm mistaken Jolly ScarfTini doesn't outrun anything notable other than Scarf Landorus-T, which beats it 1 v 1 (might want to list it as a counter), so you can probably leave the nature as Adamant.
  • I'd mention Pursuit trappers as potential counters since Tyranitar and Bisharp can both potentially Pursuit Trap it. You can technically beat Bisharp, but no one likes Sucker Punch 50/50s.
  • I'd list it as a revenge killer first then a Physical Sweeper, if only because Scarfers tend to have a harder time sweeping.
Other than that the write-up should be fine unless I missed something. Anyway, I'm logging off for the night, so keep up the good work everyone!

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Role: Wallbreaker, Physical Sweeper

What It Does: Perhaps one of the more underrated Dragon Dance sweepers in OU, Mega Tyranitar is a serious threat to any team that is unprepared. Dragon Dance is the crux of the set and allows Mega Tyranitar to hit a massive Attack stat of 640 after a single turn of set up. Its Speed stat is also boosted one stage and allows Mega Tyranitar to outspeed positive base 130 Pokemon. Stone Edge is Mega Tyranitar's primary STAB move of choice and while it is a bit shaky in accuracy, the amount of raw strength behind the move is sure to put a dent into any Pokemon, especially at +1. Ice Punch is for coverage and allows Mega Tyranitar to hit Pokemon such as Garchomp, Breloom, Lati@s and Dragonite for super effective damage without having to resort to Stone Edge, in some cases. Earthquake rounds off the set by providing Mega Tyranitar the popular "EdgeQuake" combination, which allows Mega Tyranitar to hit a greater number of threats.

Good Teammates: Mega Tyranitar despises Fighting-type Pokemon because they naturally resist its most powerful STAB and can KO in return. Latios, Latias, Talonflame and Azumarill make great partners not only because they can break down defensive walls but also because they resist Fighting type moves and can KO in return with their respective STABs.

What Counters It: Ferrothorn can easily tank hits from Mega Tyranitar, besides the occasional Fire Punch variants. Levitate Bronzong can also wall this set completely but its a very niche Pokemon to be running in OU. While Mega Tyranitar lacks in true counters, there are plenty of offensive checks. Scarfed Keldeo, Scarfed Landorus-T, Offensive Breloom, Bulky Swords Dance Scizor, Mega Lopunny and Mega Gallade can take one hit from Mega Tyranitar and KO in return with their STABs. However, for the non-Fighting type Pokemon, prior damage is need on Mega Tyranitar to effectively KO it, due to its massive base 150 Defense stat.

Any Additional Info: Thanks to Sandstorm providing Rock-type Pokemon with a 1.5* Special Defense boost and its already massive Defense stat, Tyranitar finds itself being able to set-up on a vast number of Pokemon. Realize opportunities when you see one and seize it!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Working on Sash Garchomp and Scarfed Heatran

DONE

Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpE / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball / Extrasensory
- Hidden Power Ice

Role:
Pivot

What It Does:
Raikou is very similar to Mega Manectric in the role that it preforms. The advantage that Raikou has over Manectic is that it has the opportunity to use an item, and doesn't use p your mega slot, while Manectirc has the better ability and is faster. Assault Vest Raikou takes hits much better than most people think. It is able to tank a Life Orb Latios' Draco Meteor with relative ease, not to mention that it outspeeds Latios. Raikou boats a fantastic Speed tier of 115, being able to outspeed Megas like Charizard Y, making it a reliable, one time switch in to a Fire Blast.

Good Teammates:
Landorus is a great team mate, similar to Mega Manectirc, as they provide great coverage and Intimidate is always handy.
Scizor works as a great Defogger and U-Turn pivot, since having hazards on the field when you are using a Volt Turn combo is never a good thing.
Latios is also another Defogger that is efficient, but Scizor is generally better to avoid having a weakness to Bisharp.

What Counters It:

Chansey (Obviously)
Tyranitar is a perfect switch in under the Sand, since most Raikou don't carry Aura Sphere.
Latios and Latias are good switch-ins if you aren't running Shadow Ball, while Mega Venusaur is a good counter if you aren't running Extrasensory.

Any Additional Info:

Raikou can also run a Choice Specs set efficiently, but Assault Vest allows you to safely switch in to Latios and Charizard Y.

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge / Stealth Rock

Role:
Wall Breaker / Stall Breaker / Mixed Sweeper

What It Does:
Garchomp is a very slow, bulky attacker. Once it Mega Evolves, it gets a huge boost in its bulk and Special Attack while taking a hit to its decent Speed tier. It is now one of the single best wall breakers that exists, expecially under Sand. This particular EV spread is to heighten the power of Draco Meteor and Fire Blast, since its high attack doesn't need as much investment. It can tear apart defensive cores with relative ease, since even with it's lower Speed, it has enough speed to outspeed designated walls.

Good Teammates:
Team mates who appretiate the use of entry hazards, like Mega Pinsir and Talonflame, work great as team mates, if you're running Stealth Rock. Tyranitar is obviously a good team mate to set up Sand, raising Garchomp's already high attack to insane levels. Sand Rush Excadrill works since it gets a Speed boost, making Pokemon that outspeed Garchomp a non-issue.

What Counters It:
Not a lot can truly switch in to Garchomp. Physical walls are torn apart by Draco Meteor, while things like Chansey are KOed by Earthquake. The factor that makes Garchomp mediocre is its Speed tier after the Mega Evolution. Anything that can outspeed it and hit it with a Super Effective move is what counters it.

Any Additional Info:
Tailwind support with Sand makes sweeping an absolute breeze, but Garchomp isn't truly meant to sweep teams, it's meant to tear apart slower Pokemon.

Last edited:

AM

LCPL Champion

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane / Air Slash
- Focus Blast / Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Role: Pivot

What It Does: Provides a Pivot to attackers such as the Lati twins, Lando-I, M-Alakazam, M-Venusaur and other special attackers that hit Tornadus-T for neutral or resisted damage in most circumstances. Hurricane and Air Slash is main STAB to threaten such mons such as Keldeo, M-Venusaur, M-Gallade, and M-Pinsir with Hurricane having more power but less accuracy and Air Slash with more accuracy but significantly less power. Focus Blast is to threaten Tyranitar, Heatran, Rhyperior, Rock and Steel types who resist Flying STAB in general while Heat Wave is more consistent against Ferrothorn, M-Scizor, and Skarmory. Knock Off provides utility to remove items such as Eviolite on Chansey and Life Orb on Latios. U-turn is to hit and run while taking advantage of Regenerator and its ability to heal HP every time a switch occurs with Tornadus-T.

Good Teammates:
Bulky ground types such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, M-Camerupt, and Lando-T to help with Tornadus-T and its issues against Electric types and to provide a Rock resist. Solid checks to such threats like Mamoswine and Weavile as well as Ice so bulky water types such as Slowbro, Rotom-W, Suicune, Heatran, M-Scizor, Ferrothorn, Jirachi are some general checks to help with this. Status absorbers or clerics to help deal with status users so that Tornadus-T doesn't get too worn down as well as Hazard removers to remove Stealth Rock off the field to enhance it's pivoting abilities. Tornadus-T fits extremely well on Rain Offense as a grass resist and answer to them so the usual Pokemon found on this archetype such as Politoed, M-Swampert, Kingdra, Omastar, Kabutops have solid synergy with Tornadus-T just to name a handful.

What Counters It:
Cresselia, Blissey, Specially Defensive Heatran with Protect to stall Focus Blast, Rotom-W, and M-Aerodactly are some counters to Tornadus-T. Some general checks include Mamoswine, Weavile, Thundurus, Raikou, M-Manectric, Greninja, Scarf Lando-T, and Tentacruel are a variety of some to choose from. Paralysis will ruin it as it thrives on its speed to Pivot and be effective while status such as Burns and Toxic will wear Tornadus-T down. Keeping Stealth Rock on the field will wear it down as well.

Any Additional Info: This spread in tandem with Hurricane is designed to KO Keldeo. It's the standard presented by the analysis but I like my pivots to be bulky and not over dependent on a 70% accuracy move, Hurricane, so in most cases I'll usually use the EVs in Special Attack for Special Defense or Defense depending on what I need to check better. Special Defense allows you to pivot much more consistently on special attackers and even have the luxury of removing Life Orb off of Greninja if you've maintained to keep Tornadus-T at a high HP. Defense investment gives you a mixed wall of sorts to help with priority users like weakened M-Pinsir a bit more consistently. Oh and don't click U-turn on an obvious Garchomp and Ferrothorn if you need to switch. Just go for a hard switch instead of taking recoil that will probably do more on you than what you would do on them with U-Turn. Hasty Nature can be used with Superpower over Focus Blast for consistency purposes but leaves you more weak to physical attacks.

^ Done ^

Last edited:
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock / Fire Punch

Role: Tank

What It Does: Rhyperior has one major job in OU, and that is taking on BirdSpam in nearly all situations. Solid Rock combined with it's massive physical defense allows it to take on Talonflame, Pinsir, and Staraptor easily. Even Mega Pinsir's Close Combat isn't a guaranteed 3HKO. Outside of the rare Natural Gift Talonflame, BirdSpam holds almost no hope of breaking through. That's not Rhyperior's only use. It's also a great check to 3 Attacks + DD Zard-X, Swords Dance Bisharp, Mega Beedrill, Landorus-T, and offensive Mega Scizor (especially with Fire Punch). Rhyperior also has a solid STAB combo to dish out damage in return, and can fit Stealth Rock onto it's moveset for good utility.

Good Teammates: Rhyperior works best as a complimentary piece to powerhouses that have issues with Talonflame. Notable examples include Mega Heracross, Mega Gallade, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Lopunny. Outside of that, Rhyperior works well with teammates who resist Water, Ice, and Grass attacks. Bulky Waters and bulky Grass types work well in this capacity, especially if they are more specially defensive. Rhyperior pairs well with specially defensive tanks and walls, as even neutral special attacks deal lots of damage. Wish passing is also a good idea, as Rhyperior can get worn down quickly and has no self-recovery. Sylveon and Clefable are good teammates in this regard, as they can take many of the special attacks Rhyperior draws while passing Wishes.

What Counters It: Chesnaught beats it 1v1 regardless of coverage. Suicune, Slowbro, Manaphy and other special attacking Water types are good checks to Rhyperior. Special attacking Grass types, particularly Tangrowth and Physically Defensive Celebi, are also strong answers to Rhyperior.

Any Additional Info: Rhyperior is no where near the kind of Pokemon you build your team around, unlike some of the other things in this topic. It's almost always put on a team later in the process to cover specific weaknesses.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Knock Off / Acrobatics
- Roost
- Taunt

Role: Stallbreaker, Mixed Wall

What It Does: Special Defense Gliscor fits several different roles on stall and balance teams. On stall teams, it's very good check to Landorus-I, Gengar and other special attackers that give stall teams trouble. It's also notable for it's ability to stallbreaker opposing teams in stall v stall matches. Roost + Poison Heal gives Gliscor a huge amount of recovery every turn, and Poison Heal on it's own makes it hard to break. Taunt seals off the ability for stall teams to heal themselves and rid themselves of status. Earthquake provides solid chip damage, and Toxic is great for spreading passive damage around. Knock Off is an option which allows Gliscor to beat some Steel types that otherwise give it issues, notably Skarmory. Acrobatics turns Gliscor into one of the few solid checks to Mega Heracross out there, especially with some defensive investment.

Good Teammates: Gliscor is a good fit on defensive teams that need a way to break-up other defensive teams. It's also a good fit on otherwise Landorus-I weak teams. Most of Gliscor's checks and counters can be easily handled by other members of stall teams. Chansey can take on most special attackers that threaten Gliscor, while Ferrothorn and Slowbro can handle most of the physical threats to Gliscor. On balanced teams, packing bulky Waters to deal with the Water and Ice attacks that Gliscor draws is a good idea. Azumarill and Suicune are solid options in this regard.

What Counters It: Anything with a decently strong Water or Ice attack can break Gliscor. Bulky Starmie with Natural Cure and Recover can switch-in on Earthquake multiple times, and also switch in and out of Toxic with little recurring damage. Offensive SD or bulky SD Mega Scizor both use Gliscor as set-up bait, due to Scizor's naturally high defense and Toxic immunity. Skarmory completely walls Gliscor if it is carrying Earthquake and Toxic as it's stallbreaking moves. STAB Ice Shard users, like Weavile and Mamoswine, make very good checks and often force Gliscor out.

Any Additional Info: It's possible to carry more coverage over Toxic, Knock Off is one of the better options in that regard. A similar set to this can also be run with more Physical Defense to better handle some different threats, most notably Mega Heracross.

Last edited:

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Fire Blast / Swords Dance

Role: Hazard User

What It Does: With Focus Sash, Garchomp is almost always guaranteed to get up Stealth Rock on the field. Earthquake is Garchomp's Ground-type STAB that provides strong offensive coverage against Pokemon such as Mega Charizard X, Heatran, Tyranitar and Bisharp. Dragon Claw and Outrage are both Dragon-type STAB but with different consequences. Dragon Claw is significantly weaker than Outrage and can miss out on certain KOs. However, Outrage forces Garchomp to use Outrage for a minimum of two turns, which may result in Garchomp being KO'd during that time or the opponent setting up. Fire Blast hits Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Scizor for super effective damage and wears them down. Swords Dance doubles Garchomp's Attack stat and gives it more damage output in general.

Good Teammates: Bisharp resists Ice-type and Dragon-type moves, pressures the opponent from freely using Defog and traps Latios & Latias. Pokemon that appreciate Stealth Rock support (generally sweepers) benefit from the Stealth Rock Garchomp puts up.

What Counters It: Without Fire Blast, Skarmory and Ferrothorn can easily set up hazards on Garchomp. Without Swords Dance, Garchomp cannot break through Landorus-T, Mega Slowbro, etc. Clefable is also generally a good answer regardless of what Garchomp decides to run. Sash Mamoswine can stop Garchomp in its track by using Icicle Spear to break through the Focus Sash while being able to set up its own Stealth Rock.

Any Additional Info: After Stealth Rock is put up, Garchomp is still a valuable team member considering the amount of Pokemon it can check thanks to its Speed, Attack and coverage.

- - - - - - - -

Working on Scarf Heatran
Reserving Defog Scizor & Dugtrio

Last edited:

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Fire Blast / Swords Dance

Role: Hazard User

What It Does: With Focus Sash, Garchomp is almost always guaranteed to get up Stealth Rock on the field. Earthquake is Garchomp's Ground-type STAB that provides strong offensive coverage against Pokemon such as Mega Charizard X, Heatran, Tyranitar and Bisharp. Dragon Claw and Outrage are both Dragon-type STAB but with different consequences. Dragon Claw is significantly weaker than Outrage and can miss out on certain KOs. However, Outrage forces Garchomp to use Outrage for a minimum of two turns, which may result in Garchomp being KO'd during that time or the opponent setting up. Fire Blast hits Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Scizor for super effective damage and wears them down. Swords Dance doubles Garchomp's Attack stat and gives it more damage output in general.

Good Teammates: Bisharp resists Ice-type and Dragon-type moves, pressures the opponent from freely using Defog and traps Latios & Latias. Pokemon that appreciate Stealth Rock support (generally sweepers) benefit from the Stealth Rock Garchomp puts up.

What Counters It: Without Fire Blast, Skarmory and Ferrothorn can easily set up hazards on Garchomp. Without Swords Dance, Garchomp cannot break through Landorus-T, Mega Slowbro, etc. Clefable is also generally a good answer regardless of what Garchomp decides to run.

Any Additional Info: After Stealth Rock is put up, Garchomp is still a valuable team member considering the amount of Pokemon it can check thanks to its Speed, Attack and coverage.

- - - - - - - -

Working on Scarf Heatran
Reserving Defog Scizor & Dugtrio
Mention Mamoswine lead in counters. It can set rocks and then OHKO with icicle spear if it has it, or 2hko with ice shard, providing the same effect.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Finished MegaRupt, MegaDoom and Entei, so I'm nabbing Assault Vest Raikou and Mega Garchomp

Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpE / 252 SpA / 4 def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ice

Role:
Pivot

What It Does:

Good Teammates:

What Counters It:

Any Additional Info:

Garchomp @ Garchompite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

Role:
Wall Breaker

What It Does:

Good Teammates:

What Counters It:

Any Additional Info:
Extrasensory should be slashed with Shadow Ball to hit Mega Venusaur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)