Ability: Magic guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 224 Spe / 32 Def
Timid nature
- Psychic
- Focus blast
- Shadow ball
- Dazzling gleam / Taunt / Substitute

Role: Revenge killer/Late game cleaner

What it does: With an undeniably excellent base 175 special attack stat, a jaw dropping base 150 speed stat, and a potentially deadly ability in trace, Mega Alakazam functions as a potent revenge killer and late game cleaner. It outspeeds the entire unboosted meta with the exception of Mega Aerodactyl who it speed ties with, allowing it to very easily revenge scary threats both old and new, including (but not limited to) the Lati twins after a little prior damage, Keldeo, Gengar, Greninja, Breloom, Mega Venusaur, Mega Manectric, and much more. It's so fast in fact that it even outruns and threatens to OHKO scarf Heatran and jolly Mega Gyaraods at +1.
With just 3 moves (psychic, focus blast, and shadow ball) Alakazam boasts perfect coverage, allowing it to hit everything in the tier with neutral damage. Dazzling gleam is a superior option in the final slot as it allows Mega Alakazam to beat the dangerous Mega Sableye, severely threaten all dragons, and OHKO a dark type Greninja without having to rely on focus blast during a clean up session. Taunt allows Alakazam to shut down common defensive pokemon such as Chansey, Heatran, CM Clefable etc and be a decent stall breaker, where as Substitute can help with prediction and give Alakazam free turns to better deal with priority users like Bisharp, who would otherwise love to switch in on a predicted psychic and retaliate with sucker punch.
Trace is just icing on Mega Alakazam's cake as it further enhances Alakazam's revenge capabilities, giving it the extremely rare ability to revenge pokemon that rely on weather, such as swift swimmers and sand rush abusers. Trace can also potentially allow it to become a fearsome sweeper. Games can be over in seconds if you manage to trace powerful abilities like protean or sheer force.

Good Teammates: Alakazam enjoys powerful wall breakers to weaken defensive and balanced cores, allowing it to easily clean up late game. Terrakion is a great teammate because it's able to reliably set up Stealth Rocks to help whittle teams down for Alakazam, and with access to swords dance it's able to easily break down defensive cores and obliterate Alakazam's biggest counter, Chansey.
Other wall breakers to consider would be the infamous Landorus-I who can also easily break down defensive cores with sheer force and access to knock off. The Lati twins are usually good switch ins to Landorus, meaning a strong knock off or sludge wave will put them in range of a shadow ball OHKO which is something Alakazam greatly appreciates. Heatran is also a great partner as it's able to check powerful priority attackers that threaten Alakazam, such as Talonflame, Scizor, and Bisharp.

What counters it: Chansey. The annoying pink blob can switch in on absolutely anything Alakazam wants to do and threaten it with a crippling thunder wave, or just heal off the damage and beat it 1v1 with seismic toss. Assault vest Azumarill is also a counter to all sets that opt for psychic over psyshock, as it can reliably take a STAB psychic and threaten to OHKO with knock off or play rough. Standard defensive Clefable is able to avoid the 2HKO from psychic and proceed to set up on Alakazam.
Basically most bulky special walls/tanks can take hits from Alakazam and threaten to KO it or hit it with crippling status moves.

Any additional info: Thanks to Alakazam's blazing speed it can actually make good use of the move encore in the 4th slot. It allows it to mess with some dangerous set up sweepers and sucker punch users by either stalling out PP or creating momentum for teammates. It can easily encore slower threats like DD Mega Tyranitar, Mega Gyarados, Mega Altaria, Bisharp, and more.
It is very much recommended that you run timid this time around. Although modest was the preferred nature for the whole of XY, new threats such as Mega Beedrill and Mega Sceptile can outspeed modest variants and KO. The drop in power is unfortunate, but with max EVs and a neutral nature you still reach a higher special attack stat than Mewtwo!
The 224 speed EVs allow you to hit 431 in order to outpace jolly Mega Gyarados at +1, while the remaining 32 EVs are placed into defense to take priority attacks a little bit better.

Last edited:
All right guys I've got the OP updated. I had to rearrange the list to accommodate the max post size again. If the list ordering starts getting too weird to accommodate the size limit (I.e. If I can't keep the walls in one cluster or the sweepers in one cluster) I'll open up a new thread and add extra reserve posts so the list looks more organized. But, that's an issue for another day. In the meantime, continue to post as always. Lastly a couple notes:
  • Recreant I know you listed Mega Houndoom as a stallbreaker, but since it wasn't carrying Taunt I put it under the Wallbreakers section.
  • Shadow_Sneak You listed Garchomp as potential Pursuit Trapper. I assume you meant Tyranitar so I edited that part when I posted the set.
  • master_marshmallow TaBuu I know Mega Charizard X and Mega Tyranitar were listed as Wallbreakers, but I went ahead and put them in the Physical Sweepers section since both were listed as Physical Sweepers in their roles after Wallbreaker, have Dragon Dance for sweeping, and because the Wallbreaker section is getting pretty large
  • Wargreymon Post looks good. I'll add it later today in case someone wants to comment on it.
As always feel free to ask any questions or comment about posted sets and feel free to shoot me any questions about something I did.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
All right guys I've got the OP updated. I had to rearrange the list to accommodate the max post size again. If the list ordering starts getting too weird to accommodate the size limit (I.e. If I can't keep the walls in one cluster or the sweepers in one cluster) I'll open up a new thread and add extra reserve posts so the list looks more organized. But, that's an issue for another day. In the meantime, continue to post as always. Lastly a couple notes:
You could always just list the mons and use them as hyperlinks to the actual thread, Makes things east for everyone tbh. The old Good Cores thread did this, and Im doing it with the Creative and Underrated Sets thread as well, and I havent seen any complaints with either. If you want an example just look at the archive of my thread.

You could always just list the mons and use them as hyperlinks to the actual thread, Makes things east for everyone tbh. The old Good Cores thread did this, and Im doing it with the Creative and Underrated Sets thread as well, and I havent seen any complaints with either. If you want an example just look at the archive of my thread.
I like that idea. When I get a chance (probably tonight) I'll modify the OP to do that. Seems way better than constantly rearranging everything.

Wargreymon I would slash Substitute and Taunt somewhere on Mega Alakazam, possibly after Shadow Ball or Dazzling Gleam. Sub can help with priority if it gets a free turn, and Taunt can allow to stallbreak and screw Chansey on the switch. Psychic/Fighting/Ghost or Psychic/Fighting/Fairy is decent enough coverage if Zam wants a support move instead.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Ice
- Earth Power / Flamethrower
- Ancient Power / Stone Edge

Role: Late-game Cleaner, Revenge Killer

What It Does: With a Choice Scarf equipped, Heatran becomes a reliable offensive check to some of OU's top threats. Overheat is a powerful Fire-type STAB move that has a nasty side effect of dropping Heatran's Special Attack stat, 2 stages. However, that shouldn't be an issue as Heatran's main objective is to revenge kill weakened Pokemon and switch out once it's done the job. Flash Cannon is Heatran's secondary STAB move and it deals super effective damage to Fairy-types, Ice-types and Rock-types. However, if the team struggles greatly with Pokemon such as Garchomp and Landorus-T, Hidden Power Ice makes a solid choice for the slot. Earth Power provides further coverage and prevents Heatran from being walled completely by other Heatran. Flamethrower can be used for a more accurate Fire-type STAB, which actually allows Heatran to clean late game, much more effectively. Ancient Power allows Scarfed Heatran to handle Talonflame (especially Bulk Up variants). Stone Edge is another option but its more geared towards Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y, two Pokemon that have seen a rapid decline in usage.

Good Teammates: Celebi not only provides near perfect defensive synergy but also provides great offensive coverage, hitting the bulky Water-types that Heatran struggles to do significant damage against. Pokemon that can handle Chansey such as Terrakion and Breloom, also make good teammates for Scarfed Heatran.

What Counters It: Slowbro (both regular and Mega form) fears very little from Scarfed Heatran while it can retaliate with a super effective Scald. Chansey is in a similar boat and can simply whittle away at Heatran's HP with Seismic Toss. Rotom-Wash is yet another full on counter that troubles Heatran.

Any Additional Info: Scarfed Heatran isn't all too common so use it to your advantage as a surprise factor!

- - - - - - - -

Working on Dugtrio and Defog Scizor

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Ice
- Earth Power / Flamethrower
- Ancient Power

Role: Late-game Cleaner, Revenge Killer

What It Does: With a Choice Scarf equipped, Heatran becomes a reliable offensive check to some of OU's top threats. Overheat is a powerful Fire-type STAB move that has a nasty side effect of dropping Heatran's Special Attack stat, 2 stages. However, that shouldn't be an issue as Heatran's main objective is to revenge kill weakened Pokemon and switch out once it's done the job. Flash Cannon is Heatran's secondary STAB move and it deals super effective damage to Fairy-types, Ice-types and Rock-types. However, if the team struggles greatly with Pokemon such as Garchomp and Landorus-T, Hidden Power Ice makes a solid choice for the slot. Earth Power provides further coverage and prevents Heatran from being walled completely by other Heatran. Flamethrower can be used for a more accurate Fire-type STAB, which actually allows Heatran to clean late game, much more effectively. Ancient Power allows Scarfed Heatran to handle Talonflame (especially Bulk Up variants). Stone Edge is another option but its more geared towards Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y, two Pokemon that have seen a rapid decline in usage.

Good Teammates: Celebi not only provides near perfect defensive synergy but also provides great offensive coverage, hitting the bulky Water-types that Heatran struggles to do significant damage against. Pokemon that can handle Chansey such as Terrakion and Breloom, also make good teammates for Scarfed Heatran.

What Counters It: Slowbro (both regular and Mega form) fears very little from Scarfed Heatran while it can retaliate with a super effective Scald. Chansey is in a similar boat and can simply whittle away at Heatran's HP with Seismic Toss. Rotom-Wash is yet another full on counter that troubles Heatran.

Any Additional Info: Scarfed Heatran isn't all too common so use it to your advantage as a surprise factor!

- - - - - - - -

Working on Dugtrio and Defog Scizor
Stone Edge should be slashed with Anceint Power since it OHKOs Mega Zard Y even with a -Attack Nature.

Wargreymon I would slash Substitute and Taunt somewhere on Mega Alakazam, possibly after Shadow Ball or Dazzling Gleam. Sub can help with priority if it gets a free turn, and Taunt can allow to stallbreak and screw Chansey on the switch. Psychic/Fighting/Ghost or Psychic/Fighting/Fairy is decent enough coverage if Zam wants a support move instead.
Good idea, I've added both of them. I decided to slash them both after dazzling gleam because shadow ball is too important to give up as it deals with the Lati twins, mew, Mega Metagross, Mega Slowbro etc.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Wargreymon also going off of what celticpride said in the additional info section of m-alakazam make a mention of encore as it allows it to break dragon dancers such as m-gyarados and m-tyranitar, allows you to encore and pp stall stuff like sucker punch bisharp and provide momentum for teammates. It doesnt need a slash just mention that it would be where taunt and substitute are.

Done

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog / Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect / Roar

Role: Hazard Remover, Hazard Setter

What it Does: With a plethora of resistances, some nifty support moves, and good special bulk, Empoleon makes a good check to Pokemon like Clefable, the Lati twins, Kingdra, and Greninja without Low Kick, while also providing Defog support or setting up Stealth Rock. Scald is Empoleon's STAB and helps to patch up Empoleon's lower Defense stat with its chance to burn. Toxic is more reliable status inducer, allowing Empoleon to cripple opposing defensive Pokemon like Slowbro, or put sweepers on a timer. Protect allows Empoleon to receive crucial Leftovers recovery, and works well with Toxic to rack up residual damage. Roar is used to shuffle around the opponents team to rack up Stealth Rock damage and is also a useful stop to setup sweepers.

Good Teammates: Physically bulky Pokemon that have good synergy with Empoleon like Chesnaught, Landorus-T, and Gliscor make good partners since they can cover for Empoloeon's lower physical defense. Wish passers like Sylveon, and Clefable also make good partners, as Empoleon has no form of reliable recovery, and so it's easily worn down.

What Counters it: Electric types like Mega Manectric, Raikou, and Magnezone can hit Empoleon hard with thier STAB Thunderbolts. Magnezone has the added bonus of trapping Empoleon so it can't switch out. Fighting types like Mega Hercross, Mega Lopunny and Keldeo, while they do not enjoy being burned or taking toxic damage, can hit Empoleon super effectively on its weaker physical defense stat. Conkeldurr can switch into any move of Empoleon's without fear due to it's Guts ability and threaten to hit Empoleon with Drain Punch. Though they need to watch out for a Scald burn, strong physical attackers in general can hit Empoleon on it's weaker physical side and deal lots of damage.

Any Additional Info: As mentioned above Empoleon is a very easy Pokemon to wear down through repeated assaults, so if you need Empoleon to check a specific member of your opponent's team try to play it more carefully and don't let it take too much unnecessary damage.
Finished Empoleon.

I was gonna do Crawdaunt next, but the Wallbreaker section's looking pretty full right now so can I do Bulky Landorus-T instead?

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed / Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip / Gyro Ball
- Protect / Thunder Wave

Role: Mixed Wall / Hazard Setter

What It Does: Ferro, since its introduction, has consistently been one of the best walls around, thanks to its amazing mixed defenses, useful defensive typing and nice moveset. It can choose from a vast variety of moves that let it use different movesets depending on your team's needs. It can often function as a good lead, setting your preferred hazard, then use its multiple resistances, including one to Stealth Rock, to frequently switch in and annoy the opponent, stacking up collateral damage. Your primary concern on the many predicted switches Ferro forces should usually be either Leech Seeding, to get some much needed recovery, or inflicting the opponent with paralysis. However, Ferrothorn isn't as passive as other walls, having a couple of pretty powerful, even coming off its middling Attack, attacking options: Gyro punishes fast sweepers while Power Whip can provide a more consistent move if your team struggles against stuff like Azumarill and Rotom-W. Protect is an option for the last slot, in order to stack up Leftovers / Leech Seed recovery and scout for Fire moves, if your team doesn't particularly need status from Ferro. It is also an option to go with both attacking moves if you want a more offensive approach, however that kinda limits the walling potential.

Good Teammates: Pokemon that can sponge the Fire attacks thrown at Ferro, such as Heatran, are exceptional teammates. Specially defensive Heatran can greatly complement Ferro, being able to run moves like Toxic, Protect and Stealth Rock, freeing up Ferro's options. However, they share a Fighting weakness, so they can be paired with something that can take those moves easily, such as Landorus-T, Latias and Zapdos. Also, Bisharp deserves credit cause it can punish opponents foolish enough to Defog Ferro's hazards, or alternatively prevent them from doing so.

What Counters It: The biggest enemy of Ferro is without a doubt Magnezone, with its ability to trap it and kill it without breaking a sweat, unless of course Thorny has Shed Shell. Fire-types such as Heatran can completely destroy it, being resistant to both its STABs, but they need to be a bit cautious with status on the switch. Zapdos can Defog away the hazards then destroy Thorny with Heat Wave. Generally, most things with a Fire move can pretty much incinerate it, so it needs careful switching, scouting and prediction to identify the threats.

Any Additional Info: Ferrothorn's Nature and EVs can be tailored to fit your team's need. Relaxed should be preferred if using Gyro Ball, otherwise Impish is a pretty good option too. You can always use specially defensive Natures too, such as Sassy and Careful. You should play extremely carefully around Magnezone, implementing strategies such as double switching into something that can kill it. You should often scout for HP Fire, as it can often ruin your day coming from Pokemon that are usually walled, such as Greninja and Lati@s. Similarly, Azumarill's Superpower could prove to be a problem. Finally, you shouldn't be too reckless around Pokemon with WoW or Scald, as Ferrothorn hates burns with a passion.

Last edited:
Wargreymon also going off of what celticpride said in the additional info section of m-alakazam make a mention of encore as it allows it to break dragon dancers such as m-gyarados and m-tyranitar, allows you to encore and pp stall stuff like sucker punch bisharp and provide momentum for teammates. It doesnt need a slash just mention that it would be where taunt and substitute are.
Interesting, I've never seen encore being used by any Alakazam set. Definitely a viable option and being uncommon is actually advantageous. Added it to additional info.

Reactions: AM

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed / Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip / Gyro Ball
- Toxic / Protect / Thunder Wave

Role: Mixed Wall / Hazard Setter

What It Does: Ferro, since its introduction, has consistently been one of the best walls around, thanks to its amazing mixed defenses, useful defensive typing and nice moveset. It can choose from a vast variety of moves that let it use different movesets depending on your team's needs. It can often function as a good lead, setting your preferred hazard, then use its multiple resistances, including one to Stealth Rock, to frequently switch in and annoy the opponent, stacking up collateral damage. Your primary concern on the many predicted switches Ferro forces should usually be either Leech Seeding, to get some much needed recovery, or inflicting the opponent with crippling status. However, Ferrothorn isn't as passive as other walls, having a couple of pretty powerful, even coming off its middling Attack, attacking options: Gyro punishes fast sweepers while Power Whip can provide a more consistent move if your team struggles against stuff like Azumarill and Rotom-W. Protect is an option for the last slot, in order to stack up Leftovers / Leech Seed recovery and scout for Fire moves, if your team doesn't particularly need status from Ferro. It is also an option to go with both attacking moves if you want a more offensive approach, however that kinda limits the walling potential.

Good Teammates: Pokemon that can sponge the Fire attacks thrown at Ferro, such as Heatran, are exceptional teammates. Specially defensive Heatran can greatly complement Ferro, being able to run moves like Toxic, Protect and Stealth Rock, freeing up Ferro's options. However, they share a Fighting weakness, so they can be paired with something that can take those moves easily, such as Landorus-T, Latias and Zapdos. Also, Bisharp deserves credit cause it can punish opponents foolish enough to Defog Ferro's hazards, or alternatively prevent them from doing so.

What Counters It: The biggest enemy of Ferro is without a doubt Magnezone, with its ability to trap it and kill it without breaking a sweat, unless of course Thorny has Shed Shell. Fire-types such as Heatran can completely destroy it, being resistant to both its STABs, but they need to be a bit cautious with status on the switch. Zapdos can Defog away the hazards then destroy Thorny with Heat Wave. Generally, most things with a Fire move can pretty much incinerate it, so it needs careful switching, scouting and prediction to identify the threats.

Any Additional Info: Ferrothorn's Nature and EVs can be tailored to fit your team's need. Relaxed should be preferred if using Gyro Ball, otherwise Impish is a pretty good option too. You can always use specially defensive Natures too, such as Sassy and Careful. You should play extremely carefully around Magnezone, implementing strategies such as double switching into something that can kill it. You should often scout for HP Fire, as it can often ruin your day coming from Pokemon that are usually walled, such as Greninja and Lati@s. Similarly, Azumarill's Superpower could prove to be a problem. Finally, you shouldn't be too reckless around Pokemon with WoW or Scald, as Ferrothorn hates burns with a passion.
I strongly disagree with putting toxic in the last slot. I don't feel like spending a lot of time explaining, so I really suggest using the move slashes from this set: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ferrothorn-revamp.3520226/

Reactions: AM

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well, i guess youre right. "I don't feel like spending a lot of time explaining" is a hell of an argument, i mean who could argue against something like that.
My point is that the set given in that link is for the official analysis, which was approved by the OU QC team, therefore it is up to the highest quality standards.
Edit: @ below, thanks for explaining :P

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Ferrothorn shouldn't be running Toxic. It's already kinda strained on moves and the other options at its disposal like Spikes or Thunder Wave are better 9 times out of 10. Toxic is kinda annoying but Ferrothorn doesn't have the ability to milk it like other stuff. Plus you don't need SD Scizor/Bisharp setting up on you and sweeping your entire team when you could have paralyzed or Leech Seeded them.

I have always used either T-Wave & Whip or Gyro & Whip on my Ferrothorns so i get the point that Toxic isnt as good most of the times. However Toxic deserves a slash since it can be useful against Rotom/Zapdos and other bulky switch-ins. I havent used it in practice but it does seem to have its uses.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
I have always used either T-Wave & Whip or Gyro & Whip on my Ferrothorns so i get the point that Toxic isnt as good most of the times. However Toxic deserves a slash since it can be useful against Rotom/Zapdos and other bulky switch-ins. I havent used it in practice but it does seem to have its uses.
No, it does not deserve a slash. You can certainly mention it somewhere, but you're better off leech seeding both of those two Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)