Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
JSteele considering you deserve a more proper explanation when you asked i can add onto what karxrida said. A lot of common switch ins to ferrothorn such as heatran, tentacruel, defensive clefable to name a few dont care about toxic and and as such are threatened by thunder wave. Protect would be slashed first on that set you have as it lets you benefit from leftovers recovery or scout with its shed shell set then thunder wave. The analysis bolts provided is a good foundation of course but try to explain more from experience rather than just going off analysis alone. Anyone can do that and if you explain it from your own experience players will feel more connected than just some cut and dry aspects they might not even begin to relate to.

Also its a learning process for everyone so no need to jump on the guy lol. It's not like he put giga drain in there.

Well i removed the all important slash then.

I hadnt realised that the order of the slashed moves is a priority order, i thought it was a random order and i had always seen Toxic as a 3rd option on Ferro for teams that need it. I didnt wanna show it as the best option obviously.

I apologise from the depths of my heart for my grave mistake that got the pokemon community in all that peril. The threat is gone now.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Well i removed the all important slash then.

I hadnt realised that the order of the slashed moves is a priority order, i thought it was a random order and i had always seen Toxic as a 3rd option on Ferro for teams that need it. I didnt wanna show it as the best option obviously.

I apologise from the depths of my heart for my grave mistake that got the pokemon community in all that peril. The threat is gone now.
Yeah basically when an analysis is done or something like this when there are multiple options available the more beneficial one in practice or more useful for the pokemons capabilities would be slashed first. Its more for blueprint purposes anyways to have a solid foundation so if someone wanted to change the moves to something else entirely by all means let them as long as they know the pros and cons.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs:252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Hasty / Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Memento / Stone Edge / Substitute
- Stealth Rock

Role: Hazard User, Support (Trapper)

What It Does: Being one of the few trap Pokemon in OU, Dugtrio serves to eliminate specific threats that would otherwise ruin your team. Earthquake is Dugtrio's STAB move of choice and it KOs the likes of Heatran, Excadrill, Mega Charizard X and Mega Metagross. Reversal works fantastically with Focus Sash as Reversal gets stronger the less HP the user has. Reversal can easily KO Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, Greninja, Terrakion, etc. Memento works well because of Arena Trap. By trapping a Pokemon, it forces them to stay put while Dugtrio uses Memento and drops the opponents Attack and Special Attack by two stages. This effectively opens up a chance for the sweeper to come in and set up safely. Dugtrio can also opt for either Stone Edge or Substitute. Stone Edge hits Talonflame super effectively while Substitute allows Dugtrio to bypass Bisharp's Sucker Punch mindgames. Stealth Rock is devoted to the last slot since Dugtrio's fast Speed stat and access to Focus Sash, guarantees Stealth Rock in many situations.

Good Teammates: Birdspam Pokemon (Staraptor, Mega Pinsir, Mega Pidgeot & Talonflame) really appreciate Dugtrio's ability to remove some of Birdspam's most difficult Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Bisharp and Heatran. Also Dugtrio appreciates teammates that can remove hazards off the field as Focus Sash is very important for Dugtrio, considering its frail nature.

What Counters It: It possesses average Attack power so any bulky Pokemon that can withstand Dugtrio's onslaught can effectively counter it. Skarmory, Landorus-T and Hippowdon are a few examples.

Any Additional Info: Dugtrio can't directly hard switch in on a Pokemon (unless it's an Electric-type move). Make sure Dugtrio comes in to revenge kill a Pokemon or its brought onto the field through a pivot move.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Working on Defog Scizor

Can you cut it with the sarcasm? It was a little mistake, we all make them.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs:252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Memento / Stone Edge / Substitute
- Stealth Rock

Role: Hazard User, Support (Trapper)

What It Does: Being one of the few trap Pokemon in OU, Dugtrio serves to eliminate specific threats that would otherwise ruin your team. Earthquake is Dugtrio's STAB move of choice and it KOs the likes of Heatran, Excadrill, Mega Charizard X and Mega Metagross. Reversal works fantastically with Focus Sash as Reversal gets stronger the less HP the user has. Reversal can easily KO Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, Greninja, Terrakion, etc. Memento works well because of Arena Trap. By trapping a Pokemon, it forces them to stay put while Dugtrio uses Memento and drops the opponents Attack and Special Attack by two stages. This effectively opens up a chance for the sweeper to come in and set up safely. Dugtrio can also opt for either Stone Edge or Substitute. Stone Edge hits Talonflame super effectively while Substitute allows Dugtrio to bypass Bisharp's Sucker Punch mindgames. Stealth Rock is devoted to the last slot since Dugtrio's fast Speed stat and access to Focus Sash, guarantees Stealth Rock in many situations.

Good Teammates: Birdspam Pokemon (Staraptor, Mega Pinsir, Mega Pidgeot & Talonflame) really appreciate Dugtrio's ability to remove some of Birdspam's most difficult Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Bisharp and Heatran. Also Dugtrio appreciates teammates that can remove hazards off the field as Focus Sash is very important for Dugtrio, considering its frail nature.

What Counters It: It possesses average Attack power so any bulky Pokemon that can withstand Dugtrio's onslaught can effectively counter it. Skarmory, Landorus-T and Hippowdon are a few examples.

Any Additional Info: Dugtrio can't directly hard switch in on a Pokemon (unless it's an Electric-type move). Make sure Dugtrio comes in to revenge kill a Pokemon or its brought onto the field through a pivot move.

Working on Defog Scizor

I think you meant Jolly, not Hasty. :)

Okay, I just confirmed that despite me moving things around constantly to keep the post limits happy (something I plan to to fix soon) "Keep it civil" is still in the OP. I know the situation has diffused on its own, but as general reminder, if you're going to post a set, try and be open to to criticism. Sometimes we make mistakes. For every mistake anyone here has made I probably have made 2 on this site alone. What's important is that you be able to take criticism so that we as a community can create good, clear descriptions of Mons and their sets for new players. Remember, this thread is for them first and foremost, so we should leave our egos out of it. Also as a general guideline, unless the set fundamentally differs from any known set I'd really doubt that it would get rejected. I think I've only flat-out rejected a Scarf Mamoswine set and a couple Meloetta sets.

Conversely, if you do provide some form of advice or recommendation, please try and provide some concrete reason as to why you think something should be changed. People tend to take criticism better when they are given concrete reasons for it. Yeah, some people can't handle criticism no matter what you say, but we should at least provide good reasons for criticism so that if nothing else we can say we tried.

Lastly, I mentioned this before, but instead of posting whole sets in hide tags in the OP, I'm going to start posting hyperlinks to posts with appproved sets. This should help with the word limit issue in the OP and makes it easier on you guys when you want to edit stuff. This does mean though that you guys should reread your posts and try and fix as many grammar mistakes as you can.

Last edited:
Okay, I just confirmed that despite me moving things around constantly to keep the post limits happy (something I plan to to fix soon) "Keep it civil" is still in the OP. I know the situation has diffused on its own, but as general reminder, if you're going to post a set, try and be open to to criticism. Sometimes we make mistakes. For every mistake anyone here has made I probably have made 2 on this sight alone. What's important is that you be able to take criticism so that we as a community can create good, clear descriptions of Mons and their sets for new players. Remember, this thread is for them first and foremost, so we should leave our egos out of it. Also as a general guideline, unless the set fundamentally differs from any known set I'd really doubt that it would get rejected. I think I've only flat-out rejected a Scarf Mamoswine set and a couple Meloetta sets.

Conversely, if you do provide some form of advice or recommendation, please try and provide some concrete reason as to why you think something should be changed. People tend to take criticism better when they are given concrete reasons for it. Yeah, some people can't handle criticism no matter what you say, but we should at least provide good reasons for criticism so that if nothing else we can say we tried.

Lastly, I mentioned this before, but instead of posting whole sets in hide tags in the OP, I'm going to start posting hyperlinks to posts with appproved sets. This should help with the word limit issue in the OP and makes it easier on you guys when you want to edit stuff. This does mean though that you guys should reread your posts and try and fix as many grammar mistakes as you can.
Probably not all too necessary, but to make it look nice, should we go back and edit out any irrelevant text from out sets?
Like I know I'd always write who I was working next and reserving lol

Probably not all too necessary, but to make it look nice, should we go back and edit out any irrelevant text from out sets?
I wouldn't worry to much about it. If it makes you feel better you can, but I don't think a new player's going to pay much heed to it.

EDIT: All right, so at this point if your set isn't in a hide tag in the OP it there should be a link to your post with the set (i.e. if a set is done it should be reachable from the OP). I've also added an explanation in the OP as to why we have hyperlinks alongside sets in hide tags. I'll replace some of the previous sets with appropriate links, so hopefully it shouldn't be long before the OP is uniform and not spread amongst 3 posts.

Last edited:

AM

LCPL Champion
I don't think that's entirely necessary as long the post is there. It's not like they can miss the entire set while focusing on just a couple of sentences directed towards something else. They're going to be reading through a short essay anyways and if anything they'll be aware that another set for something they may be interested to look at is available or in the works.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Punch / Iron Tail

Role: Late-game cleaner, Wallbreaker
Iron Tail really needs to be in front of Ice Punch imo, because of Unaware Clefable and Azumarill. Landorus-T & Gliscor already get hit hard by +2/+1 Iron Tail so Ice Punch is a little redundant.
Also Mega Slowbro/Slowbro can take on Lucario while Sableye can play a similar game with its Mega form. That being said, Crunch should be slashed over Ice Punch if anything.

Scizor @ Scizorite / Leftovers
Ability: Light Metal / Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off / Superpower / U-turn

Role: Support (Hazard remover)

What It Does: With a great defensive typing in Bug-Steel, access to reliable recovery in Roost and respectable bulk (70/140/100 in Mega form), Scizor can perform a Bulky Defog role quite well. The set itself is quite self-explanatory. Defog removes hazards off both sides of the field while Roost provides Scizor with recovery, to heal off damage. Bullet Punch is STAB that gets a Technician boost and boasts +1 priority meaning it can threaten the likes of Mamoswine, Terrakion and Mega Aerodactyl. Knock Off provides great utility and can cripple defensive Pokemon that switch in on Scizor. Superpower hits Heatran super effectively and does massive amounts of damage. U-turn is not only STAB but also carries momentum for Scizor. Mega Scizor is best for this role so a Scizorite is appropriate, while 252/252+ provides Mega Scizor with maximum bulk. However, if the team can't afford a Mega, Leftovers is a reliable substitute. Also, Technician is the much more superior option over Light Metal on regular Scizor.

Good Teammates: Charizard's Mega forms are great because it resists Scizor's sole weakness and loves the Defog support that it gets. Talonflame is also another good teammate for Scizor for similar reasons. Landorus-T is another choice because it can reliably set up Stealth Rock and scares out Fire-type Pokemon.

What Counters It: Talonflame fears very little except the Knock Off, which even then won't mean too much. Without Superpower, Heatran can easily counter Scizor. Also in the same vein, Magnezone can actually trap Scizor and KO with HP Fire. Pokemon that resist Bullet Punch and that have access to Taunt are solid counters as well (i.e Infernape).

Any Additional Info: Scizor lacks power in this variant and can therefore become setup fodder. Make sure the team is capable of answering the threat should this situation arise!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reserving Life Orb Hydreigon, Swords Dance + Tailwind Mega Charizard X and Focus Sash Alakazam

Last edited:

Karxrida

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

What It Does: With a great defensive typing in Bug-Steel, access to reliable recovery in Roost and respectable bulk (70/140/100 in Mega form), Scizor can perform a Bulky Defog role quite well. The set itself is quite self-explanatory. Defog removes hazards off both sides of the field while Roost provides Scizor with recovery, to heal off damage. Bullet Punch is STAB that gets a Technician boost and boasts +1 priority meaning it can threaten the likes of Mamoswine, Terrakion and Mega Aerodactyl. Knock Off provides great utility and can cripple defensive Pokemon that switch in on Scizor. Superpower hits Heatran super effectively and does massive amounts of damage. U-turn is not only STAB but also carries momentum for Scizor. Mega Scizor is best for this role so a Scizorite is appropriate, while 252/252+ provides Mega Scizor with maximum bulk.

Good Teammates: Charizard is great because it resists Scizor's sole weakness and loves the Defog support that it gets. Talonflame is also another good teammate for Scizor for similar reasons. Landorus-T is another choice because it can reliably set up Stealth Rock and scares out Fire-type Pokemon.

What Counters It: Talonflame fears very little except the Knock Off, which even then won't mean too much. Without Superpower, Heatran can easily counter Scizor. Also in the same vein, Magnezone can actually trap Scizor and KO with HP Fire. Pokemon that resist Bullet Punch and that have access to Taunt are solid counters as well (i.e Infernape).

Any Additional Info: Scizor lacks power in this variant and can therefore become setup fodder. Make sure the team is capable of answering the threat should this situation arise!

Reserving Life Orb Hydreigon, Swords Dance + Tailwind Mega Charizard X and Focus Sash Alakazam
The Mega variant (which your set is) cannot be teamed up with Zard for obvious reasons. Also, is there an alternate spread that gives some Special bulk? Could have sworn there was one, but I can't remember what it let you survive.

The Mega variant (which your set is) cannot be teamed up with Zard for obvious reasons. Also, is there an alternate spread that gives some Special bulk? Could have sworn there was one, but I can't remember what it let you survive.
LOL. This is what happens what you write up something when you shouldn't be. Well I could slash Lefties in there, since not every team can afford a Mega Pokemon for Defogging. Also there probably is an alternate spread. It might've been to allow Scizor to fight Latios/Latias with HP Fire one on one or something along those lines.

DONE
And I cracked my phone rip

Loreal @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Role:
Special Sweeper

What It Does:

Ampharos is a strange Agility sweeper. You might look at its Speed stat, and say that it's unviable. However, only things like Greninja can outspeed after an Agility. Agility patches up its worst stat and makes it a force to be reckoned with. It has one of the highest Special Attack stats in the game, meaning not a lot is going to want to stomach a STAB Thunderbolt. It's bulk is fantastic, even with out investment. It's got a pretty decent offensive typing and a lot of special moves to back it up. However, even with an Agility, many common Scarfers will easily outspeed . Ampharos has a hard time finding free turns to set up an Agility. It also has a decent Attack stat to mess around with, but no good physical moves to help it.

Good Teammates:

Mega Ampharos appreciates the use of Clerics, since Ampharos has no reliable way to heal statuses or regain health. Keldeo and Bisharp work as amazing team mates since they share great synergy. Politoad also can summon Rain, which is helpful if you want to use Thunder over Thunderbolt for more power.

What Counters It:

Timid Greninja will still outspeed Ampharos after an Agility, and everything of higher Speed tier. Special Walls like Chansey can shut down Ampharos. Ampharos also has no defense against priority, although most of it is resisted. Scarf Pokemon like Lando-T can outspeed and do a hefty chunk to Ampharos.

Any Additional Info:

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake

Role:
Special Wall

What It Does:

Goodra is, simply put, one of the best Special Defense walls in the game. With an Assault Vest, it shrugs of Special hits like they were nothing. Life Orb Greninja's Ice Beam is barely a 3HKO. Take note that this is a move that OHKOs Multiscale Dragonite. Goodra has a crazy movepool, having all the coverage in the world, with great offensive stats to back it up. However, Goodra isn't with out its flaws. It's Defences stat is abysmal, and it is KOed by a lot of physical moves. Its Speed, while not awful, is also not fantasic, allowing it to be outsped by a lot of things it wishes it could beat 1 on 1.

Good Teammates:

Skarmory and Physically Defensive Ferrothorn share great synergy with Goodra, and it's easy to switch them in against physical attackers. Goodra also likes Wish passers, since it has no way to recover health.

What Counters It:

Physical Sweepers like Charizard X completely destroy Goodra. It's mediocre defense leaves it vulnerable. Special Walls also shut down Goodra and can slowly wear it down since it has no recovery.

Any Additional Info:
Goodra can also run Leftovers efficiently, as well as an Acid Armor set to patch up its bad defense stat.

Last edited:

Scizor @ Scizorite / Leftovers
Ability: Light Metal
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

What It Does: With a great defensive typing in Bug-Steel, access to reliable recovery in Roost and respectable bulk (70/140/100 in Mega form), Scizor can perform a Bulky Defog role quite well. The set itself is quite self-explanatory. Defog removes hazards off both sides of the field while Roost provides Scizor with recovery, to heal off damage. Bullet Punch is STAB that gets a Technician boost and boasts +1 priority meaning it can threaten the likes of Mamoswine, Terrakion and Mega Aerodactyl. Knock Off provides great utility and can cripple defensive Pokemon that switch in on Scizor. Superpower hits Heatran super effectively and does massive amounts of damage. U-turn is not only STAB but also carries momentum for Scizor. Mega Scizor is best for this role so a Scizorite is appropriate, while 252/252+ provides Mega Scizor with maximum bulk. However, if the team can't afford a Mega, Leftovers is a reliable substitute.

Good Teammates: Charizard is great because it resists Scizor's sole weakness and loves the Defog support that it gets. Talonflame is also another good teammate for Scizor for similar reasons. Landorus-T is another choice because it can reliably set up Stealth Rock and scares out Fire-type Pokemon.

I'd mention that if you decide to run Leftovers you should make sure to use Technician instead of Light Metal. It doesn't need to be a slash per say, but it should be mentioned. As Karxrida said I'd also mention for good team mates that Charizard is a good team mate provided you aren't using Scizorite. It should be implied, but god knows how many Specs Charizard you can find on the lower ladder. Other than that it looks good.

Would it be better to make cyberlinks for all the pokes on the OP so that it looks better in the eye? It looks a buit weird now that half pokes are linked and the rest are there :P

Would it be better to make cyberlinks for all the pokes on the OP so that it looks better in the eye? It looks a buit weird now that half pokes are linked and the rest are there :P
It's what I'm working on now. Hopefully within the next day or two (depending on school) I should have all the sets replaced with links to posts.

Reactions: AM
A question: What exactly is the role of defensive Rotom-W? I mean its something between a mixed wall, a pivot and a tank but i really dont know under which category it would fall in a thread like this.

Karxrida

A question: What exactly is the role of defensive Rotom-W? I mean its something between a mixed wall, a pivot and a tank but i really dont know under which category it would fall in a thread like this.
Pivot mostly, as it checks a lot of shit like Birdspam but lack of reliable recovery means it can't wall stuff constantly. It usually ends up dying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)